• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Medicknight

Sergeant
32 Badges
Nov 4, 2019
  • Darkest Hour
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Sengoku
As the title says, I'm wondering if there is any way to run the game in 64 bit, as because of it running in 32 bit it causes crashes and slows down my computer when tabbing out.

I don't think there is unless you're using an older laptop. That would be an OS question.

As the title says, I'm wondering if there is any way to run the game in 64 bit, as because of it running in 32 bit it causes crashes and slows down my computer when tabbing out.
Yes, you can successfully install the game on a 64 bit machine, but you need some work to do for the game to work flawlessly.

This subject comes time and again on the forum, so here is my contribution to solving the problem:

Other comments on that thread might also be helpful.

Caveat: You can play HOI3 on 64 bit Windows PCs, but not on modern 64 bit iMacs or Apple laptops.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am running it on Windows 8.1 64 Bit.
Easy.
No big efforts neccessary.

But its an older Motherboard (AsRock H97M Pro4) and an older Graphics Card (Geforce GTX 1050Ti) 8 GB RAM.

It works really rockssolid.
I am playing "one game" in one go for weeks(real time) (saving and autosaving) hibernating in the evening with the game loaded.
After waking up I alt-tab back into the game and keep playing.
Sort of one session since the start of the game.

This is HOI 4.2 TFH (CD Version) with BICE 9.11 and the appropriate submods UTR/TRE/GGA.

Last edited:
I am running it on Windows 8.1 64 Bit.
Easy.
No big efforts neccessary.

But its an older Motherboard (AsRock H97M Pro4) and an older Graphics Card (Geforce GTX 1050Ti) 8 GB RAM.

It works really rockssolid.

I'm running the steam version of HOI3 on windows 10 as well. I also have an older system, (mother board and CPU from 10 years ago) newer GPU. I didn't have to do anything special to get the game running, just installed and go.

I wonder if all the trouble running HOI3 on newer OS is actually a hardware issue!

After waking up I alt-tab back into the game and keep playing.
This is the one problem I have with the game, everything else runs fine but when I alt+tab out and back in the game will crash.

I wonder if all the trouble running HOI3 on newer OS is actually a hardware issue!
This might be it, I have a really old and really shitty pc; but with HoI DH and HoI4 I have zero issues with tabbing out and back in, so that makes me question if it is a hardware issue.

no. the only thing that is out there is the LAA exe in tech support that helps a lot

• 1Like
Reactions:
This might be it, I have a really old and really shitty pc; but with HoI DH and HoI4 I have zero issues with tabbing out and back in, so that makes me question if it is a hardware issue.
hoi4 is 64 bit and DH is using the old europa engine that doesn't use as much memory as hoi3. many modders had to get people to run a LAA tool on hoi3 exe to get the mods not to crash becuase of how much memory was being used and the limitations of 32bit memory addressing

• 1Like
Reactions:
To clarify, a lot of old games (such as HOI3, Mount & Blade, and many others) could only address up to 2Gb of memory. It doesn't matter how much RAM your system has, only the bottom 2Gb was usable by the game, and if other utilities or programs are cutting into that, it doesn't leave enough for it to run, especially with mods. Podcat wrote (or modified) a 3 or 4 Gb utility for HOI3, which allows it to access more of your system's memory. There are also a number of free downloadable 3 or 4 Gb LAA utilities out there which can be run. I had to do that for M&B to run several of the larger mods, and HOI3 has been absolutely rock solid for me since I ran the Podcat.exe utility for HOI3. Unless something is chewing up most of your base RAM, the game should still run without it, but could become unstable as more and more stuff gets build and has to be tracked by the game.

Reactions: