• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When you create a title, it receives the same succession law as your primary title. So if you adopt Primogeniture then create the Kingdom of Sicily, the kingdom receives Primogeniture.

Note that this is true if you create the title, but it is not true if you usurp the title. (Usurped titles will normally revert to the default succession law - eg. ag-cog gav for feudal christians.) If a title already exists, it might be worthwhile to force it to be destroyed so you can recreate it, instead of direct usurpation.

Reactions:
If you click on a title's shield, it'll bring up the page with buttons like create and such; one of them is 'destroy'. Destroying titles costs prestige, causes a temporary opinion penalty with vassals who are de jure under that title, and cannot be done under gavelkind (either regular gavelkind or elective gavelkind).

If you click on a title's shield, it'll bring up the page with buttons like create and such; one of them is 'destroy'. Destroying titles costs prestige, causes a temporary opinion penalty with vassals who are de jure under that title, and cannot be done under gavelkind (either regular gavelkind or elective gavelkind).
That I know, I thought there is some kind of kinky stuff to force others to destroy titles so I don't lose prestige.

That I know, I thought there is some kind of kinky stuff to force others to destroy titles so I don't lose prestige.
If you take all the counties from someone any titles they hold from a higher tier will be destroyed without cost. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you take all the counties from someone any titles they hold from a higher tier will be destroyed without cost. :)
That I didn't know. So that's the kinky stuff I was looking for :D Thanks.

EDIT: So basically if I want to get rid of all dukes, I can revoke the county titles. Question.

If A controls duchy X and county I that is a part of X. B controls county J that is a part of X. If I revoke county I, then X will be destroyed? Or do I have to revoke county J too.

Last edited:

Alternatively, if you have "de jure required" in game rules then duchy/kingdom/empire titles will eventually be destroyed if the duke/king/emperor doesn't control any land that is de jure part of the duchy/kingdom/empire. I personally really like this rule because it prevents stupidity like the kingdom of Italy migrating to a random county in Sweden.

With this rule turned on, all you need to do is force the character out of the region (and wait a while) - which is usually a lot easier than completely unlanding them.

Reactions:
That I didn't know. So that's the kinky stuff I was looking for :D Thanks.
Np. :)

EDIT: So basically if I want to get rid of all dukes, I can revoke the county titles. Question.

If A controls duchy X and county I that is a part of X. B controls county J that is a part of X. If I revoke county I, then X will be destroyed? Or do I have to revoke county J too.
For that trick to work you have to take all counties from them, not just the de jure ones. However, what @jonjowett mentioned works as long as you just take their de jure titles. :)

Reactions:
I have to check, if it's the default rule it's on, else I haven't tinkered yet with such things, beside cultural names that I don't understand.

It's not the default, so I guess you probably don't have it turned on in your current game.

For that trick to work you have to take all counties from them, not just the de jure ones.

Nitpick: You also have to take all of their baronies. This can actually be the hardest part, because it's impossible to fabricate a claim on a barony, and they might own a random barony on the other side of the world.

Reactions:
Nitpick: You also have to take all of their baronies. This can actually be the hardest part, because it's impossible to fabricate a claim on a barony, and they might own a random barony on the other side of the world.
Not a nitpick, valuable and vital information. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
For your first couple runs, stick with 1066. Then you can branch out to trying the earlier start dates. Those are the ones that get the most attention from players, although there is a significant group that likes 1081 (The Alexiad). The later historical start dates don't get that much play, I think because you don't have much time in which to finish, like EU4.

Reactions:
1066 is (was) the default date if no DLC. Some people enjoyed later starts mostly for Byzantium flavour I think.
867 is linked to "Old Gods" which is a very liked DLC. And you have the opportunity to really change things for pagans in Europe. 769, I think was mostly for people (with Charlemagne DLC) who wanted another experience (it deviates a lot from what really happened) or the possibility to have time to have a long game (7 centuries)
Recently (it's all relative), 936 was offered and it's really liked too because it's balanced between 867 and 1066. I'm sure that, in the last year, 936 would have appeared in the document

I am under 90 hours in and I have already tried multiple starts. For now there is no favorite, probably I will play all at a point. Usually I quit when I did something very wrong. In the last game I wasted laws on centralizing quickly, and suddenly I had too many vassals, and giving vassals would make the other vassals too strong :))