• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question. If I change to Primogeniture, and then I create the Kingdom of Siciliy, do I lose primogeniture? Or how this work. Thanks.
When you create a title, it receives the same succession law as your primary title. So if you adopt Primogeniture then create the Kingdom of Sicily, the kingdom receives Primogeniture.
Note that this is the way it works when creating a new title. If you conquer a title it will keep whatever laws it already had, so if you are a duke with primogeniture and conquer a kingdom with gavelkind, you'll end up on gavelkind.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another question. Is it preferable to stay smaller so you can change laws easier, speaking as duke of Apulia. The previous run it seemed to me that the bigger I was, the harder it was, so I am thinking about playing small until I revoke Council powers.

Also, what happens when you give land to your kid heir with 0/0 demesne size?

Also :D Do I really need the Pope opinion about me to be good as Apulia? Can I move to Free investiture if I go kingdom?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Another question. Is it preferable to stay smaller so you can change laws easier, speaking as duke of Apulia. The previous run it seemed to me that the bigger I was, the harder it was, so I am thinking about playing small until I revoke Council powers.
Are you speaking about how vassals vote on law changes? I can't help you there, I'm afraid. :( I only play with Conclave where it works differently.

Once he becomes a Count he'll have a base demesne size of 1, so he'll be fine. :) But be careful about landing heirs. Landed characters have a lot more independence, and sometimes will do stupid things that you have to live with when you take over their character on succession. I never land the first two or three in the chain of succession for this reason.

If you want to give them a boost anyway you can give them honorary titles to get them building Prestige early on. :) IIRC Cupbearer can be assigned to children.

Reactions:
And marry your heir before giving him land (or restrict his marriage). Otherwise, AI will marry him with someone not interesting :D But it happens that if my demesne limit is too small, I give some counties to my heir: I will get them back when I'm "him"

Regarding the pope, it depends. Being excommunicated is not really fun.

EDIT regarding laws, are you playing with Conclave?

Reactions:
Also :D Do I really need the Pope opinion about me to be good as Apulia? Can I move to Free investiture if I go kingdom?
That depends on what kind of play style you are thinking of. If you want to get claims from the Pope in order to expand more quickly, then yeah, you'll need him to have a good opinion of you. But except for making requests of the Pope it's enough for him not to hate you (because getting Excommunicated is horrible).

Yes, kings and emperors can go free investiture. I like it it a lot - I put kinsmen, loyal servants, and Content characters as bishops, plus you get a big opinion bonus from your vassal bishops if you have free investiture. :) The Pope will dislike it, but usually not enough to excommunicate you unless you have other negative opinion modifiers.

Reactions:

I would never give land to my heir unless they are married and have already produced a child or two. And even then, it's not something I will do unless things are desperate. (Like if I am trying to hold on to a huge amount of extra land towards the end of my life.) Once you give land to an heir, they are free to make decisions, and those decisions will be stupid - stuff like dueling and getting maimed, taking terrible focuses and acquiring awful traits, attacking and usurping vassals you like, handing out favors like candy (which you will need to pay back later), etc. So again, do not give land to your heir.

Related to that, the 0/0 demesne size you see listed is for someone who has no land. Give someone land, wait for the month to end, and they will readjust up to the new rank you gave them, increasing their capacity. (Baron, Count, Duke, etc.)

Changing laws is basically the same no matter what rank you are. You get some additional options at King and above. But just keep pushing towards what you want from day one.

What will make changing laws easier is not size, but how long you rule and how much your counselors like you. As time goes by and you develop positive traits, your council and vassals will all love you. (Take Theology focus or Benedictine/Dominican Order if your traits suck, those will give you traits that make you very popular.) On your council, stack as many Content-type people in there as you can. Mentor your heir and stick them on the council. It takes a few years but at some point it will all click into place.

I like Free Investiture once I have the rest of my realm laws in place, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. The Pope will like you more and will ask you early in your ruler's life to change it, but if you have otherwise positive traits then you can refuse without issue. If you have a lot of negative traits then you may get excommunicated for refusing. It's good fun to groom bastards as super-priests and future cardinals/popes. It's also very effective to recruit high-Learning, same-culture courtiers and nominate them to your vacancies.

Related to that, and this is a bit more advanced, in any Kingdom, I recommend aiming to have at least one vassal Archbishop (Duke-level theocratic vassal) and one vassal Merchant Republic (Duke-level burgher vassal with coastal access). The Archbishop can be where you stick your most loyal, highest-piety nominees, and they'll likely end up being Cardinals and future Popes. The Merchant Republic is a huge moneymaker. Both should also become go-to council members for you. (Just don't put your Court Physician on the council because then they won't do any medical work.)

Reactions:

As Karlington indicated, the best solution to your first question is to use the Conclave DLC. :) I played my CK2 Apulia game without it though and never had any real trouble changing laws. If you try some sort of wildly ahistorical paint-the-map world conquest type of game you'll probably get too big to change laws, but staying at a vaguely sensible size (say Italia plus southern Italy) should be fine. I had all of de jure Kingdom of Sicily, plus Sardinia, Corsica, and Matilda's "large tracts of land" (most of Italy south of the Po and not part of the Papal State) when adding Conclave broke my save. (Note: some DLCs are savegame compatible; Conclave is not one of them).

Regarding the Pope - if you're asking if you should do a claim war for that Papal holding in Benevento, feel free to go for it when you're strong enough. It is annoying! :D I played nice with the Pope because the HRE was an ever-expanding blob, and Antipapal Wars were one of the ways to try to rein that in. Seems weird to be Catholic yet hostile to both Popes. I suppose another option would be to side with the HRE's Pope (aka the Antipope, as seen by the rest of Catholicism) and do what you like against the Bishop of Rome. But player Kingdom of Sicily is the strongest counterweight to the HRE, so again that seems like not the way to go.

This could be somewhat a matter of player preference/style as well. I don't really do very much with bishop appointments, so Papal Investiture is no great loss to me. My real preference is to just not have to care about religious officials which is why I typically play non-Catholics.

Reactions:
The reason I wanted to give land to my first kid was to cheat the demesne limit. And I think until I have more experience I won't use free investiture, especially because I am a neighbor of the Pope, HRE and France is also close.

The Archbishop can be where you stick your most loyal, highest-piety nominees, and they'll likely end up being Cardinals and future Popes.
I have to learn how the Arch is done, I have already learned how the merchant republic are done.

Bishop appointments is kind of kinky for me, the first Apulia game I did that, and somehow the heir I appointed made me lose the bishopric from my realms.

Waiting for a discount day to get all DLCs for now, sadly this doesn't have like EU4, the monthly subscription fee.
EDIT: Does the Imperial Edition contain all DLCs? It seems it does: "Includes the base Base icon CK2.png Crusader Kings II game, all expansions ever released, and all other in-game content: "

Please do confirm the Imperial Edition thing, thanks.

Yes, it seems it does include all DLC. As you mentioned, wait for sales, I believe that there are every 2 months. And I would focus on "expansion DLC" (except Sunset Invasion), not music, unit packs, ebook, portraits etc

Reactions:
Yes, it seems it does include all DLC. As you mentioned, wait for sales, I believe that there are every 2 months. And I would focus on "expansion DLC" (except Sunset Invasion), not music, unit packs, ebook, portraits etc
I really have to triple check because I am planning to get Imperial right now :D If I get it, I have all DLCs, and I don't have to buy anything else?

Also, what happens if I already have the free base game? Can I redeem the Steam key for the Imperial edition?

It's your money, not mine, so do what you want but spending 250€ for the Imperial Edition seems very expensive to me
That's Holy Fury DLC price in the past 6 months

Capture.JPG

So there are a lot of sales. And there was a "back to school" sales at Paradox store recently. And from what I can see, there is right now a -50% price on Wingamestore for all (almost?) CK2 DLC

I imagine that it provides a key for Steam, compatible with the free base game, that would make sense

One option would be waiting until the Autumn Sale of Steam and buying Crusader Kings II: Royal Collection (base game and all expansion DLCs).

The reason I wanted to give land to my first kid was to cheat the demesne limit. And I think until I have more experience I won't use free investiture, especially because I am a neighbor of the Pope, HRE and France is also close.

I have to learn how the Arch is done, I have already learned how the merchant republic are done.

Bishop appointments is kind of kinky for me, the first Apulia game I did that, and somehow the heir I appointed made me lose the bishopric from my realms.
In Apulia/Sicily games I pretty much always designate the Duchy of Benevento as my Prince-Archbishopric. (I miswrote earlier - Archbishop is the County-level bishop.) Basically, to create an Archbishop there:

1) Own the Duchy and County of Benevento.
2) Select the bishop already under the County of Benevento. Give the bishop the County title of Benevento. Yes, the castle in addition to the church he already owns - he will keep both the castle and church and remain your vassal, but will now have more piety, wealth, and overall influence.
3) To upgrade them further to a Prince-Archbishop, you give the Archbishop the Duchy of Benevento.

You'll find that Archbishops are often strong enough to get selected as a Cardinal, and Prince-Archbishops are virtually certain to have it happen. They are some of the most stable, reliable vassals you will ever have - they do not try to conquer anything outside of their de jure territory, nor do they rebel. (The upside to a Duchy-owning Prince-Archbishop is that they will probably not get overthrown, whereas a County-level Archbishop that is someone else's de jure vassal rather than yours is at risk of having your vassal steal their land.) If you have good relations with them you can usually make a lot of money from them, too, especially if the pope is just average. I save my best candidate as nominee for any Archbishop or Prince-Bishop position - whenever I can, I try to raise my dynastic bastards to be high-Learning potential candidates for these slots. Having a pope of your dynasty gives you prestige, and if you also mentored and have great relations with them, you can ask them for tons of claims and maybe also cash.

A downside to Free Investiture is that eventually it will require a lot of micromanagement, maybe too much. If you get to the point where you can found an Empire and/or own a ton of counties, then you will probably have bishops dying off every month or two and you will struggle to find enough decent candidates to fill all the nominations.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Question. I just purchased the Imperial Edition. How do I check if I own all DLCs? As far as I can see, I don't own Pagan Fury, Warrior Queen, but the others are fine.

https://prnt.sc/uf1gqb this should be fine? It seems one DLC got away.

EDIT: Also, Pagan Fury is only music, right? There are so many DLCs I'd like a confirmation that I own most of them, bar Pagan.

Last edited:
Question. I just purchased the Imperial Edition. How do I check if I own all DLCs? As far as I can see, I don't own Pagan Fury, Warrior Queen, but the others are fine.

https://prnt.sc/uf1gqb this should be fine? It seems one DLC got away.

EDIT: Also, Pagan Fury is only music, right? There are so many DLCs I'd like a confirmation that I own most of them, bar Pagan.

Correct on both counts. You've got all expansions, unit packs, dynasty shield packs, portrait packs and almost all music packs.

Reactions: