Is there a Mod like this? - Fixing the military aspect of CK3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Voidian

Second Lieutenant
88 Badges
Jun 11, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
Just wondering if there's a mod like this out there.

What I'm looking for is a mod that removes all MAA from the game, and all knights, and all accolades, basically, removes everything that's not a levy from the game.

I know it sounds boring as hell, but since the AI wasn't programmed to properly engage with MAA stationing mechanics, proper county development, MAA composition and numbers, knights or accolades, I don't think there's any other way to lose wars in this game.

At least it would put the player on even grounds, might even make levies from vassals worth a consideration, instead of going for max taxes and zero levies on every contract.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Technically, you could do the mod yourself. But it's a huge workload, and a nightmare to balance tbh.

You'd have to redo many traditions, artifact effects, court bonuses, dynasty legacies, events and their modifiers, tournaments, court positions, buildings, title and rank effects, and every other instance in the game in which you either get some bonus to knight/maa or where a knight is in any way involved in an event.

I'm usually pretty open to the idea that there's likely a mod for almost anything. But in this case here? Yeah, but no. I'm confident there isn't.

But you could attempt to make that mod and tell us how it went. I'd be genuinely interested in the results of such a radical experiment.

Reactions:
I don´t know of a such mod and it wouldn´t fix much, if anything, either.

Once the things you´ve listed are removed, managing optimal development will remain as something which the player can handle better.

Or stacking of advantage. (For example, raising a few children or vassals to become optimal marshals.)

If even this, somehow, would be removed, players could still juggle the optimal ratio of income to levy buildings.

Until you actually teach an a.i. to use the system well, a dedicated player who get´s the system will beat an a.i.

However, i don´t necessarily feel that this is a bad thing. Here´s the thing- If an a.i. is too good, it´s no fun to play against it. Imagine on the far end that the a.i. would be as good as some a.i. are at chess. You would never be able to beat it and it would be frustrating.

I think it still needs some improvement and balance passes, but honestly not much.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's not just about removing a few things. It's about completely rebalancing the entire game.

You'd have to go through each and every single file of the entire game and change, remove, replace... the list is nearly endless. That's how big that task is. There is no "only this" or "just that" involved here. You'd cut out a major part of the game, with ramifications on each and every other aspect of the game.

Such a thing will take weeks to pull off. It's not a small task, or just slightly altering a file or two. It seems you don't understand how monumental the workload is.

Technically, you could do the mod yourself. But it's a huge workload, and a nightmare to balance tbh.

You'd have to redo many traditions, artifact effects, court bonuses, dynasty legacies, events and their modifiers, tournaments, court positions, buildings, title and rank effects, and every other instance in the game in which you either get some bonus to knight/maa or where a knight is in any way involved in an event.

I'm usually pretty open to the idea that there's likely a mod for almost anything. But in this case here? Yeah, but no. I'm confident there isn't.

But you could attempt to make that mod and tell us how it went. I'd be genuinely interested in the results of such a radical experiment.
I don't know much about modding =/

I don´t know of a such mod and it wouldn´t fix much, if anything, either.

Once the things you´ve listed are removed, managing optimal development will remain as something which the player can handle better.

Or stacking of advantage. (For example, raising a few children or vassals to become optimal marshals.)

If even this, somehow, would be removed, players could still juggle the optimal ratio of income to levy buildings.

Until you actually teach an a.i. to use the system well, a dedicated player who get´s the system will beat an a.i.

However, i don´t necessarily feel that this is a bad thing. Here´s the thing- If an a.i. is too good, it´s no fun to play against it. Imagine on the far end that the a.i. would be as good as some a.i. are at chess. You would never be able to beat it and it would be frustrating.

I think it still needs some improvement and balance passes, but honestly not much.
The AI isn't failing at a high abstraction level, it's failing at the most basic mechanics, essentially, the AI isn't even playing the game at all.

It needs insane improvements to reach the level of being called just "bad AI", so far, it's disabled AI.

The equivalent would be playing EU4 against an AI that never puts any points in military tech, ending the game at tech level 3 on every nation, worldwide, as it's just not programed to recognize technology exists, also, if it did tech up a bit, it wouldn't consider front and backline considerations, forming full teams of artillery with no infantry to take damage in it's stead.

That's essentially what the CK3 AI does, it ignores absolutely every mechanic related to combat as it's just not programed properly, it's just moving units around, with zero tech, and mismatched armies.
It's not just about removing a few things. It's about completely rebalancing the entire game.

You'd have to go through each and every single file of the entire game and change, remove, replace... the list is nearly endless. That's how big that task is. There is no "only this" or "just that" involved here. You'd cut out a major part of the game, with ramifications on each and every other aspect of the game.

Such a thing will take weeks to pull off. It's not a small task, or just slightly altering a file or two. It seems you don't understand how monumental the workload is.
Wasn't trying to claim it would be easy, I was just wondering if someone else had already done this, finding mods is a struggle so it might have been lost somewhere in the list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think this would actually be very hard to do. You just want to get rid of men-at-arms and knights, right (which effectively means no accolades too, if there's no knights, I think)? You'd basically, as far as I can tell, just need to comment out anything that gives knight_limit and comment out anything that gives men_at_arms_cap.

Silens is right, though, the balance might be completely wild, but to just implement and see what it's like, you can probably do it without any modding experience, and maybe even only a couple hours.

If anyone is interested, here's (I think) a list of the files you'd have to change:

Code:
files with knight_limit:
    common\buildings\00_duchy_capital_buildings.txt
    common\buildings\00_special_buildings.txt
    common\buildings\00_standard_military_buildings.txt
    common\buildings\00_tribal_buildings.txt
    common\culture\traditions\00_combat_traditions.txt
    common\culture\traditions\00_maa_traditions.txt
    common\culture\traditions\00_societal_traditions.txt
    common\culture\traditions\01_fp1_traditions.txt
    common\dynasty_perks\00_dynasty_perks.txt
    common\lifestyle_perks\00_martial_3_chivalry_tree_perks.txt
    common\modifiers\00_activity_tournament_modifiers.txt
    common\modifiers\00_artifact_modifiers.txt ############ SEE NOTE BELOW
    common\modifiers\00_basic_modifiers.txt
    common\modifiers\00_historical_artifact_modifiers.txt
    common\modifiers\01_court_grandeur_modifiers.txt
    common\modifiers\01_dlc_ep1_modifiers
    common\modifiers\05_bp2_modifiers.txt
    common\religion\holy_sites\00_holy_sites.txt
    common\traits\00_traits.txt

files with men_at_arms_cap:
    common\culture\innovations\00_early_medieval_innovations.txt
    common\culture\innovations\00_high_medieval_innovations.txt
    common\culture\innovations\00_late_medieval_innovations.txt
    common\culture\innovations\00_tribal_innovations.txt
    common\dynasty_perks\00_dynasty_perks.txt

plus:
    common\defines\00_defines.txt

Create a mod, duplicate the files above and put them in the same directory in your mod as they are in vanilla (e.g., put 00_traits.txt in the folders common\traits).

For knight_limit, just find each instance of knight_limit and comment it out with #knight_limit (except for in 00_artifact_modifiers.txt—when changing the knight_limit there, don't comment out artifact_knight_limit_1_modifier = { knight_limit = 1 } and artifact_knight_limit_2_modifier = { knight_limit = 2 }, just make them say knight_limit = 0; artifacts might weirdly have a tooltip saying you get +0 knights or still saying you get +1 or +2 knights, but whatever, that doesn't matter just for testing it out).

For men-at-arms, you'll want to comment out men_at_arms_cap in the files above. However, there's also a special case for this. You need to go into the defines file at common\defines\00_defines.txt. You're looking for the line REGIMENT_MAA_CAP_BY_TIER = { 0 1 2 3 4 5 }. Replace it with REGIMENT_MAA_CAP_BY_TIER = { 0 0 0 0 0 0 } and that will remove the baseline all rulers get (1 for barons, 2 for counts, etc.).

I might be wrong, or I might have missed something, but I think that should prevent hiring men-at-arms and disallow knights for everyone in the game.

EDIT: Should mention, also, this doesn't change any special armies that are generated through events and the like. They're not hard to change either, you'd just have to prevent them from giving men-at-arms in addition (or instead) of levies, but there aren't that many instances of spawn_army in the game, so I didn't think it was worth suggesting those changes here.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This has the side effect of making late game sieges agonizing, since your siege engines are MAA.

What I'm looking for is a mod that removes all MAA from the game, and all knights, and all accolades, basically, removes everything that's not a levy from the game.

I know it sounds boring as hell, but since the AI wasn't programmed to properly engage with MAA stationing mechanics, proper county development, MAA composition and numbers, knights or accolades, I don't think there's any other way to lose wars in this game.

At least it would put the player on even grounds, might even make levies from vassals worth a consideration, instead of going for max taxes and zero levies on every contract.

This is too extreme, you might break the whole game. Since the AI does use MAA and create once in the blue moon new MAA.
I know you want to be challenged, and currently you are not.

But this solution really breaks the game in more ways then once, maybe it is easier to give AI a Modifier buff of 100% in your case.
But then you might be overrun early game. without even a chance to build up.

So your approach is really too Extreme to be even considered modding, or implementing.

If what you want is to lose wars in your game, you cannot fail if you download the mod in my sig. Being probably the most controversial implementation of the mod, just don't complain after you get defeated once, twice, thrice! ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not what you are looking for but with some more game rules core mod, you can reduce levies numbers and buff their individual strengths. Hence they get hit less hard by attrition. But at the same time punch harder and costing less. At the same time though reduce garrison size by equivalent amount. Do this for both player and AI.

Subsequently you can increase income generation of AI, reduce their cost to maintain MAA and hiring mercenaries.

I haven't played the game in almost a year, but with this combination the game I had felt like a multiplayer game, and with harder cultural and religious conversion and mods like vassals to Arms, MND balance and historical invasions mod, it really felt like historical replay of history rather than a boring map painter.

Reactions:
-4/11/24 update: I got it working, but localization doesn't work for reason I can't understand
-4/06/24 re-Update: never mind it's still crashing. I've been forced to revert to a version without these new knight rules.

Hey, I'm the author of No More Levies. I made a new set of rules for your situation: you can use the new MAA Cap rule, No MAA, to get rid of Men-At-Arms, while I also made two new sets of rules for the Knight and Accolade limits.

The only issue about the mod is that I don't know how to dynamically affect how MAA are generated on game start, so the AI still starts with MAA, but should disband them when the cost of being over the limit kicks in. However, this does mean the starting event troops/wars are particularly damning for the AI, since they won't disband until after the war is over.

no more knights.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
If what you want is to lose wars in your game, you cannot fail if you download the mod in my sig. Being probably the most controversial implementation of the mod, just don't complain after you get defeated once, twice, thrice! ;)

That is the best feature. :cool: