Is the game will return to production?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not suprising but I'm disapointed in the manner of the annoucement of Imperator being placed in legacy mode. It would have been better to have stated this last year. I only found out though a post on Reddit that refers to this thread.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's so sad. I also thought the pause on further development on Imperator is just temporary because of the new CK3. I think Imperator has so much potential, and the time period is great for all kinds of gameplay mechanics, I hope you guys continue working on this game, the Great Wonder creation system was so amazing.

Reactions:
This was always going to happen once they moved all the staff of the game, indeed I said as much months ago on this forum. The cowardly way Paradox killed the game does rather rankle though, they partly minimised the uproar when it was actually cancelled through lying about it being on hiatus and then finished it off a year later when no one was looking, to avoid any negative PR in the gaming press. Someone in the Paradox PR department has definitely done well out of this.

• 9Like
Reactions:
But have they avoided it though?

In doing the way they have, they have fracked off quite a lot of long-term fans (who were checking back for updates and who have NOT forgotten, as thet might have done if they had hard-cancelled a year back), not only off the game itself, but from PDX in general.

Whether they will "get away with it" will rather depend and how many people like me are resistant to FoMO and won't immediately crumble at the next DLC release. (I mean, I can only speak fror my personally, but I've not bought anything since.)

Sadly, these days, of course, businesses seems to have realised that there are enough people who just want their mext dopamine hit they they will be able to get away with an amazingly level of appalling services; fifty years ago, if you came out and said you thought your customers were idiots, you went broke (my Dad tells of an example, though I forget exactly what). But now, the larger population (and segement with more pennies thereof) means there are seemingly apparently enough idiots that, well, Activision/Blizzard is not only still in business, but even making absurd amounts of money of nickel-and-diming people (potentially vulnerable ones at that, but that's another issue).

(I mean, in fairness, PDX are, even in light of this failure, nowhere near that bad; but crossing the low bar of "not being complete [excrements] to their own workers and customers" is kind of damning with faint praise, let's be honest.)

So yes, they might, but I guess we'll see, since this sort of thing will likely only start to come out in the longer term.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I think they are that bad, the shining light still is the occasional dev posting something on the forums. Other than that they are a faceless corporation just like most others. And I hope people out there will remember and hold them to that standard and forget the paradox that used to be.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think they are that bad, the shining light still is the occasional dev posting something on the forums. Other than that they are a faceless corporation just like most others. And I hope people out there will remember and hold them to that standard and forget the paradox that used to be.
(Preface: to my current knowledge.) We haven't yet heard reports of PDX CEOs complicit in abusing and covering up their staff, threatening to have them killed and staff not being able to afford their own meals, under external investigation for company-wide abuse, nor is anything PDX has released been explictly designed legally-veiled gambling-addict-exploitation systems instead of games, so PDX is not the worst in the games industry currently.

But that that Acivision Blizzard IS that example - and seems, despite the backlash, to be getting away with it - shows how utterly [excrement] the world has become.

(If you haven't heard any of this about Activision Blizzard, then, sorry to have to tell you that, but... Yeah. Those are things actually happening in the real world, difficult (or perhaps not) to believe as it is. And the sobering thought is how many other big companies are going to be doing crap like this outside the games industry where they're not as under close observation and getting awway with it even more.)

(I'm not saying things are bleak, but I watched a video yesterday about some gentleman who, from histroical examples, predicted a serious global collapse from historical precedent and I didn't entirely dismiss it out of hand as paranoid pessimism. No, wait, I am saying that.)

Reactions:
There are other companies than Activision Blizzard. But be my guest, use them to defend paradox still being a better corporation than your random generic gaming company. They aren't, they are exactly the same.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And most of them are almost just as bad as Activision Blizzard, but there are companies which are nowhere near as bad (and some quite sparkling indies, e.g. Brightrock Games or Arcen - the latter who latest game is still receiving regular updates and whose CEO made a personal financial loss on making the game, which is a crying tragedy). But as I say, I'm not really defending Paradox at this point, just saying that it is always wise to keep perspective; there are levels of crappiness. ANY level of crappiness is bad and should be puntatively treated, but some crappiness is objectively worse than others. Getting decapitated is bad; getting hung, drawn and quartered is worse.

Would I like to be able to take more punative action than Withhold My Money (and, in my case, file a formal complaint, which I actually DID)? Sure, but short of achieving functional omnipotance to be able to Outside Context Problem the entire planet, I'm not sure what apparently I'm expected to DO.

Reactions:
(Preface: to my current knowledge.) We haven't yet heard reports of PDX CEOs complicit in abusing and covering up their staff, threatening to have them killed and staff not being able to afford their own meals, under external investigation for company-wide abuse, nor is anything PDX has released been explictly designed legally-veiled gambling-addict-exploitation systems instead of games, so PDX is not the worst in the games industry currently.
That is a really, really low bar though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I absolutely concur that it is. A bar so low, you would have thought that it wouldn't actually exist outside of dystopian scifi fiction. But I do think it is still worth bring up that that bar does exist, for perspective.
I don't think a low bar like this gives any useful perspective, they don't start a pole vault competition at 10cm because it wouldn't make any sense.

Reactions:
I confess that I would be more disappointed if I hadn't, from the beginning, assumed that "put on indefinite hiatus" was management doublespeak for "cancelled".

• 3Like
Reactions:
Disappointing :(

Mainly because I:R became my favourite Paradox game after just far too many tedious gameplay changes ruined EUIV and HOI4 for me and I can't force myself to log back into either of those games, and the very nature of the CK's series random garbage ruins the gameplay experience for me in that game. I found that I:R struck the right balance between those two styles of Grand Strat game and the 2.0 update gave us a far better experience that was a good launching platform for taking the game forwards ... but alas, nada after that. They had a chance after 2.0 came out to great reviews and a positive vibe about the game to go forwards form there, but instead they chose to divert the labour assets in I:R, that did such a great job to save the game, to churn out more tedious pablum for EUIV and HOI4 instead.

Oh well, might be time to start adding 'IR2???' to every Paradox announcement for the next 10 years ;)

• 13Like
Reactions:
Relaunch the game, scrap the 'Rome' part of the name and focus on improving it.

Reactions:
Personally, I don't buy any other Paradox games since there is no more chat in Multiplayer.

This game is a dead game first of all because there is no chat.

And playing only with AI does not really interest me.

Too bad for you.

You lose a fan.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Official Word: Once a game goes into Legacy, it usually stays there unless a third party publisher either picks up the rights or there is a huge demand for the game that generates enough attention to get the Devs back into the mix. These are unlikely edge cases, but not impossible.
Welp, that's sed to hear, coz' this game feels just like uh, unfinished in sooo many many many ways tbh

I'm currently playing Field of Glory empires, and Field of Glory 2, and Total war Rome 2 Divide et Impera
since the I:R development is stalled. I:R has potential to evolve for the better but dev need to focus, not be all over the place focusing on trends for revenue. If they give a bit more proper dedication and allocate a proper budget, it can archive a HOI 4 form of success. What Paradox lacks is this era and demand is there but with bare bone game don't expect to find the same enthusiasm of the rest of the titles that have decades of history in the market. If they cut it short with budget from the beginning and have no clear focus and have a bad start, what they expect and suppose to find from the market enthusiasm? The market of such eras is there the demand is there this is why TW R series was made, Field of glory empires among many others, the problem is paradox doesn't know how to capture it thus others will.

Last edited:
I'm currently playing Field of Glory empires, and Field of Glory 2, and Total war Rome 2 Divide et Impera
since the I:R development is stalled. I:R has potential to evolve for the better but dev need to focus, not be all over the place focusing on trends for revenue. If they give a bit more proper dedication and allocate a proper budget, it can archive a HOI 4 form of success. What Paradox lacks is this era and demand is there but with bare bone game don't expect to find the same enthusiasm of the rest of the titles that have decades of history in the market. If they cut it short with budget from the beginning and have no clear focus and have a bad start, what they expect and suppose to find from the market enthusiasm? The market of such eras is there the demand is there this is why TW R series was made, Field of glory empires among many others, the problem is paradox doesn't know how to capture it thus others will.

I can also recommend MTW2 Kingdoms Europa Barbarorum 2. It destroys the myth of 'It's hard to make playing random Celtic tribes unique' quite well.

• 1Like
Reactions: