Is the game will return to production?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To drum a little more. I'm playing CK mods for the ancient times for the character focus that I missed in Imperator. I know that not everyone wants a character focused game in Antiquity but I want it real bad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To drum a little more. I'm playing CK mods for the ancient times for the character focus that I missed in Imperator. I know that not everyone wants a character focused game in Antiquity but I want it real bad.
I would recommend you to have a look on Dementive's Full Mechanic Overhaul (which builds on the Invictus mod, but is a separate addition to it) - it features a character focus system with trees similar to CK3. It is not that fleshed out currently (limited variety in effects, events missing), but the foundation is solid, the UI nice - and what it lacks currently is probably in range to be added within the IR engine in future :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would recommend you to have a look on Dementive's Full Mechanic Overhaul (which builds on the Invictus mod, but is a separate addition to it) - it features a character focus system with trees similar to CK3. It is not that fleshed out currently (limited variety in effects, events missing), but the foundation is solid, the UI nice - and what it lacks currently is probably in range to be added within the IR engine in future :)
Thanks for the info. I'll check out this mod. :)

Why was it abandoned in the first place? It was on a good track after the last updates. I think it was already one of the best games for that age.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Why was it abandoned in the first place? It was on a good track after the last updates. I think it was already one of the best games for that age.

I agree but the player base never recovered from the initial launch and the horrible reputation the game got since then persisted. Or at least that the wisdom that's been shared with me.

Reactions:
They lied, they were never coming back, it was just better PR to dangle the possibility of a return to development, than admit they were ending development forever.

I remember them very clearly stating along the lines of "we are temporarily moving some of our main IR dev team to assist with Crusader kings, this is because we have finished the main work on heirs of alexander and do not have a dlc in mind just yet so for now we will focus on finishing CK" ....crusader kings finished... the team did not return. yet we are seeing all the work that was put into IR be introduced into other games such as the new dlc in the much older hearts of iron 4, the new dlc for HOI4 will have "medals" similar to if not exactly like in IR when we created a legion, the more we used that legion the stronger it became through victory medals which could be viewed in "legion history" ... imperator rome was such a wondeful game, it did not deserve to be a test bed for much older games.

but i guess this is how it goes, as Caesar we should be used to being stabbed in the back by now :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions:
but i guess this is how it goes, as Caesar we should be used to being stabbed in the back by now :confused:

While Caesar can tell us a thing or two about Brutus. I think that Seleukos kind of know the same basic scenario from Ptolemaios Keraunos. :(

Reactions:
Okay...that does it, no more Pre-orders from me! Im tired of paying for games that get abandoned after short time or is released in a awful state and then have to pay for getting DLC's to correct Paradox's awful QA...

Reactions:
Official Word: Once a game goes into Legacy, it usually stays there unless a third party publisher either picks up the rights or there is a huge demand for the game that generates enough attention to get the Devs back into the mix. These are unlikely edge cases, but not impossible.
:mad:

• 1Like
Reactions:
The problem I think that happened is indeed the initial bad reviews and backlash from especially seasoned players definitely did hurt the game. It probably felt too bland & generic for some, and while 2.0 probably was the point where there was a base where could be built further on to create a better game, the player numbers never really did recover.

I think the game's era just isn't as popular as they thought it would be and that there are plenty of other games covering this era, tho maybe not grand strategy games. It's a harder era because it is also so far back in time that outside of Rome less would be known accurately to create very engaging gameplay or roleplay. While also being a brand new IP and not being able to rely on an already established userbase. There was one other Rome game but it barely had any players and it was basically before Paradox' their golden age.

Also Paradox Interactive built a reputation where a game would receive so many DLC's that being part of that day 1 is expensive and i think many people reasoned that the game would be fleshed out later and buy it later during a sale (especially due to the initial backlash) and eventually never ended up buying the game. I bought the game after the developmental cycle already ended on a sale. Perhaps more should have been done to attract new players and increase the playerbase, and a steep price can certainly be a deterrent that way.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think the game's era just isn't as popular as they thought it would be and that there are plenty of other games covering this era, tho maybe not grand strategy games. It's a harder era because it is also so far back in time that outside of Rome less would be known accurately to create very engaging gameplay or roleplay. While also being a brand new IP and not being able to rely on an already established userbase. There was one other Rome game but it barely had any players and it was basically before Paradox' their golden age.
I think that games on these ages tend to have a very high expectancy in gamers in general, specially the public form Paradox, Total war franchise, etc.

People love these eras and doing something superficial just hurt the game itself. Roman and medieval ages are the most popular genres to fanatical fan players of grand strategy and that's where the high expectancy hurts both them and the company. because will always create a backlash.

But paradox had a Rome game well before, and that's what ppl expected a sequel worth the first game.

• 2Like
Reactions: