Is the game will return to production?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, if it is official, since I found catastrophic CTD bugs in Imperator (worse than in any other game I can recall) and the tech support doesn't exist (which is what they said when I filed a report) and now they have confirmed they won't fix it (after over a year), then I suppose I had better contact customer services, then, to make a formal complaint* later on today. (Another fracking job I didn't need to have to do. *sigh*)

I haven't bought anything from PDX for since they Imperator went on "hiatus," and I now very disinclined to to do so on any future releases, since if they are going to start abandoning games before finishing them properly (i.e., so they don't, like, have catastrophic bugs), and further being deliberately misleading on it, I am not going buy anything from them again. (They have certainly ensured I will never be touching CK3 or Vicky 3.)

(*I should not be genuniely getting a disorientating and noxious sense of deja vu typing that, but I am. This is not a thing I should find myself having to do FOUR. TIMES. to companies of various stripes - i.e. not all gaming companies - (of which all me and/or my family have been long-term customers of) across the board in the space of two months - hitherto something I have not have had to do but on a handful of occasons previously EVER, but apparently this is 2022.)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: Thread opened again, infractions handed out, a lot of posts deleted. Follow the rules people, and be kind to each other.

Last edited:
Cmon guys, you could've at least fixed the bugs ;)

Anyway, it's no big deal, we'll continue to make mods and enjoy the great game that is Imperator 2.0 - thanks for all the modding tools (shame they broke in 2.0 LOL... where there's a will there's a way.)

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Aren't there tributary mechanics that were never released? I believe something was overhauled in the past, but in a beta patch that was never released.

Very disappointed. For the game being discontinued, of course, but also because the latest comments had left the possibility of more development quite open. Yet Paradox had apparently given up on the game without giving us an update. How exactly can we know a game is 'Legacy'?

I've played Paradox games for seven years, this is the first time I feel my confidence in the studio was unwarranted.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Indeed. It's pemanently shaken my faith in the company as a whole and disinclined me to further purchases after... Well, the amount of little icons should give you some diea of what I was previously spending on them.)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yes 2.0 did a good job, but if you don't understand what I meant just watch CK2, EUIV, HOIIV. In all these games the different parts of the world had DLCs with their own mechanics and all of them had big DLCs with new mechanics. Only imperator had none of that. But at the same time the game was so late when it was released and with only 2 years of development, they were not going to work miracles.

Also, copy pasting in EU4 mission trees and CK2's wonder system wasn't actually fixing Imperator's core issues.

Reactions:
I've played Paradox games for seven years, this is the first time I feel my confidence in the studio was unwarranted.
I've lost faith long ago. Had my gripes with various EU4 updates and HOI4 is still the only game i ever refunded on steam. Was also pretty disappointed with Stellaris (they sold me a PDS Distant Worlds, but outside of exploration its nothing like that) and obviously I:R on release.. Then came CK3, i love CK2 so it was very easy to trick me. Thought that's the last nail in the coffin, it was so boring, it made me check out I:R again, lol. Was very pleasantly surprised with it, wow, the company actually still got it? And then we learned that the dev team knew about that the game will be cancelled, pardon me, "put on hold", before 2.0 was released. Game dev can be an ugly business (see stuff like crunch time followed by mass layoffs), but in my world you just can't do this to your employee's (basically making them lie to your customers).

It's not just that i felt my confidence was unwarranted, i feel i'm cured and will never be accused of having recommended a PDS title ever again. The fact that i still return here to see if there's more about a possible continuation than a carrot on a stick, and then be bitter about it, tells me otherwise tough ;)
Also, copy pasting in EU4 mission trees and CK2's wonder system wasn't actually fixing Imperator's core issues.
But the mission trees added sorely needed flavour (and modability). While getting rid of (most of) the mana, completely overhauling the military mechanics, research/innovation, and turning a glorified map-painter into a bit more of a civilization builder actually fixed most core issues. The dev team turned a turd into a gem, that's why it's so sad that they couldn't finish it.

Reactions:
Paradox isn't a charity, but a business. The player numbers for I:R were atrocious, even after 2.0. There were no signs of recovery and it was hard to justifyy spending further resources on it.

In game development, not everything works out. That's ok. Sometimes you try something and it doesnt work. Worse is when you stop trying to make new things as to reduce risk. So I appeal to everyone to lose your anger. Being angry about a game not working out just make PDX innovate less and churn out the same exact game time after time. Like CA does with Total War.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Paradox isn't a charity, but a business. The player numbers for I:R were atrocious, even after 2.0. There were no signs of recovery and it was hard to justifyy spending further resources on it.

In game development, not everything works out. That's ok. Sometimes you try something and it doesnt work. Worse is when you stop trying to make new things as to reduce risk. So I appeal to everyone to lose your anger. Being angry about a game not working out just make PDX innovate less and churn out the same exact game time after time. Like CA does with Total War.
I think most people get that.
It's unfortunate, but not unreasonable.

The real contention here seems to be the sheer lack of transparency PDX has shown on this matter.
The game was put on "hiatus", leaving some players hanging on false hope, and then, over a year later, through a very low key forum post (not even an announcement, official statement, or anything of the sort), it was revealed that that game had entered legacy status, for whoever knows how long now.
To me and many others, the writing was on the wall ever since the hiatus announcement, but this doesn't excuse PDX here, they handled the whole situation very poorly.

I suppose this serves as a wake up call for everyone in this community, PDX isn't our friend, and does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, they will only act "friendly" for as long as it suits their financial interest, and if it doesn't, they simply won't.
PS. Once again I will clarify that this is directed to PDX as a company, its management side, not to its developers, who are more often than not as passionate about their games as anyone in the community, and I'm sure imperator's dev team is as unhappy about the fate of the game as we are.

Reactions:
If I was an investor I'd have pulled out as they obviously had no intention of telling the truth. Why would anyone trust their misleading babble next time a game so much as flattens out, let alone flops outright?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Official Word: Once a game goes into Legacy, it usually stays there unless a third party publisher either picks up the rights or there is a huge demand for the game that generates enough attention to get the Devs back into the mix. These are unlikely edge cases, but not impossible.
Is this really how the official end of Imperator is going to be handled? With a random response?

• 1Like
Reactions:
How disappointingly predictable.

• 6Like
Reactions:
You should have told us the truth from the start, admit that I:R failed and that hopefully you learned some lessons from it - not leave us hanging, thinking that maybe production might restart.

The way its been handled... it just feels like such a coward way to go about it.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Paradox
Official Word: Once a game goes into Legacy, it usually stays there unless a third party publisher either picks up the rights or there is a huge demand for the game that generates enough attention to get the Devs back into the mix. These are unlikely edge cases, but not impossible.
Paradox, you’re breaking my heart. You’re going down a path I can’t follow.

Let me speak for fans like myself when I say I sensed in the pre released DDs the game wouldn’t be good but after all the post launch updates it became my favourite paradox game.

I hope you pick this game back up but failing that I hope you learned the lesson about gamers no longer wanting simplified “board games on a computer” type releases. The end state of I:R with its RP / “realistic” historical mechanics were awesome, especially the military levy / professional system.

if only I:R had one more year of development to solidify its content by differentiating play styles and creating cultural content it would’ve been the best paradox game by far.

• 4Like
Reactions: