• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Varsovian

Corporal
Dec 25, 2016
Hello,

Yesterday, I got Tyranny for Christmas :) Unfortunately, when I tried playing it, I noticed that the game started overheating my PC right after I got to the game proper (meaning, after I finished the character creation and conquest phases).

Is my PC too weak for this game? I thought it wouldn't be the case - I have Intel Core i5 2300, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6700 graphics card. I thought that it was a matter of high graphics settings, as I initially ran the game with the highest resolution. But I switched to the lowest resolution, limited the FPS to 60 and... the game still makes my PC go red hot. The CPU temperature jumps from 40 C to nearly 80 C in a matter of minutes.

Is there some way I could ran this game on my PC..?

Upvote 0
Okay, so I measured the temp on the GPU. When not running anything, the temp on the GPU is around 38 C. When I run Tyranny, the temp goes up to about 50 C, with the GPU load of about 55%. Meanwhile, at the same time, the CPU temperature goes up to over to 80 C... So, it does not seem to be a GPU problem.

And I don't think it's not a cooling problem, as I don't have such problems when running anything else. So, what could be the problem and how can I make this game run comfortably?

If I cannot make this game run properly, what can I do to get my money back? The Polish publisher, Cenega, claims that the game run on 4 GB (even though you give 6 GB as minimum...) and if it's not running, it's my PC's fault. I guess I won't be getting my money back from them... :(

Hi there, happened to stumble across this thread... even though I wasn't looking for this. Anyways, I would suggest stress testing your CPU, and watching the temperatures under full load. This should give you an indication of whether or not it is an over all heating/cooling issue with the CPU or something specific to the game.

Just doing some quick searching, and while I am by no means familiar with your particular chip or graphics card, it seems the CPU would be operating several degrees hotter than the average recommended core temp (which as far as I can tell is somewhere around 76 degrees).

Also, as your chip is approximately 4 to 5 years old your CPU is reaching the very end of it's life span. This could be said about pretty much any CPU, but especially mid-low end chips. Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/52206/Intel-Core-i5-2300-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

That said, your CPU does reside well within the specifications for the game, as the one listed is 2 series older and was made in 2009, whereas yours was made in 2011.

Here is my best guess as to what is happening: for whatever reason, whether it be a bug with the game, something to do with Unity Engine, or possibly your own PC settings -- the Intel HD Graphics 2000 integrated GPU on your CPU chip is being utilized instead of your main graphics card. If this is the case, it would easily explain the rapid overheating, and also the need to turn down settings dramatically.

You may want to check your settings, or even disable the integrated GPU to make sure it is not being utilized.

Try that and see if it helps. I do think however that you should really look into investing some money into a new computer, as it is very likely that you will be seeing more of this type of PC-spec limitations as time goes by. Your chip is well into the end of life stage.

Hmmm. You say that my CPU has an integrated GPU? That's total news for me. I thought that on-board GPUs were a feature of the motherboards, not the CPU chips?

Anyway, how do I check if my CPU has this inner GPU thing and how do turn it off?

Well, this link lists this processor (assuming this *is* my processor) as having integrated GPU... with the adnotation that this "feature may not be available in all computing systems". So, how do I check if my PC has this thing and how do I turn it off? Through BIOS?

You would open device manager and look under "Display Adapters".

Windows 10 -> Cortana Search Bar -> type in -> devmgmt.msc

Windows 8/8.1 -> start menu -> "Run" -> type in -> devmgmt.msc

Windows 7 -> start menu -> "Run" -> type in -> devmgmt.msc

or in all versions simply -> Win key + R -> type in -> devmgmt.msc

Other way is to look in your bios for your computer. There should be a shortcut specific to your bios version to open it at startup before the windows load screen. It would be under whatever your "Display Adapters" section is.

So, this kind of on-board GPU should be visible in the Device Manager? *This* I checked - I'm not a total PC beginner :D Anyway, if that's the case, then I don't have it - the only GPU under Display Adapters is my AMD Radeon.

I also checked BIOS and it seems that there's no setting for disabling the on-board GPU permanently. There's only "Enabled" and "Enabled if no external GPU". And the latter option is selected...

On-board is a different type of GPU than an integrated GPU. One is motherboard based, the other is CPU based.

What you have is most likely an Intel HD Graphics 2000, built into the CPU not the motherboard.

The reason I say that is:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52206/Intel-Core-i5-2300-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-230...1484348092&sr=8-1&keywords=Intel-Core-i5-2300

Intel and Amazon both say this chip has integrated Intel HD Graphics in the CPU. If it is not showing in device manager then it may be in the CPU area?

If all else fails download Speccy: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

This is a well known reliable 3rd party component checker. It should detect any component installed on your computer that is active. If it is not listed then most likely it is disabled.

You should also try running GPU-Z while running the game: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

It includes a gui that will show whether the radeon card is being utilized, also it has logging that will give details.

Also, there is a sure fire way to see if the game is using your graphics card:

Go to Tyranny > Tyranny_Data > output_log.txt

This will give detailed information about the loading and processes going on while running the game.
First entry at the top should be marked as "Renderer", there it will show what is being used to load the game's graphics.

Try going into Catalyst Control Center and setting up a per game profile for Tyranny, switch any kind of intense graphics settings to off and then try running it. That should hopefully force all the more demanding graphical options to low or off (such as anti-aliasing). Try that, and see if it makes a difference in the temperatures.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

I'm out of ideas, too :( I really fear I just won't get this game working... unless Obsidian / Paradox guys have any solutions?

If not, here's a question: the game is Steam-activated. Could I re-sell it, then? I'm asking, as the Polish publisher is really uncooperative, claiming that the official system requirements aren't a problem, as the game runs on 4 GB (they say they "tested" it) and, if anything, I simply must have a cooling problem. So, I feel I won't be getting any refund from them... And I really would like to get my money back. I'm not sure I can afford to keep this game on a bookshelf, waiting the next three years for me to secure funds for a better PC. The game costed me over $30!