Is it worth continuing to play imperator?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Carlux

First Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jul 24, 2021
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Island Bound
  • Empire of Sin
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
I bought it right when it came out and I have all the DLCs, I haven't played it in years but I don't know if it's worth playing it again and spending time on it if the game is dead and they will never update it.

I know the game went on sale dead and I don't think they will ever update it again.

Reactions:
Try it with Invictus mod, improves the game with tons of content while keeping the vanilla spirit.

It is a great game altogether even if they do not restart development.

• 7Like
Reactions:
In by far the most probably scenario, we eventually get the beta patch topped off, but it's little more than a few more fixes. In a less likely (but still possible) case we get a heftier update, less focused on making major game changes than facilitating modders (there are a number of wishlists out there for utilities we could benefit from). The very, very, and so as not to sugarcoat it, very outside possibility is we get some level of development resume. We've had sizeable spikes in playercounts (2-3x previous numbers and a notable jump in overall player counts from where it was last year), but that's not the kind of interest level that breaks through the managerial fog to realize they might have dropped the ball on the game.

That said, there are a lot of things worth taking a look at. While Invictus doesn't dig into and reshape the foundations of the game like continued development might have, it does deliver on a lot of the promise of the 2.0 update - mission trees for many more nations, minor extra events and decisions for important sites of trade goods, fleshing out military traditions, and so on. The broader modding scene continues apace, from the Victoria-era mod that's still quietly plugging away to a number of fantasy mods.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Games of old were 'dead' the moment they were released. If it's fun (and it is), play it regardless. Sure, it would be great if they picked it up again and carried on working on it, but why should it affect your enjoyment if the game's no longer being actively worked on?

Reactions:
Games of old were 'dead' the moment they were released. If it's fun (and it is), play it regardless. Sure, it would be great if they picked it up again and carried on working on it, but why should it affect your enjoyment if the game's no longer being actively worked on?
I cannot echo this enough.

Reactions:
As mentioned try with Invictus and then try again with one or another of its sub-mods. They make for an even better experience with Imperator.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes it is a good game. And with Mods it is amazing.

Yes, been having fun with it recently.

It's sad as Imperator has potential to be much better but then again, the last few DLCs for say HOI4 hasn't exactly improved the game. You don't need 300 dollars worth of overpriced mission trees and modifier creep to enjoy Imperator when there are mods adding those for free.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ive been playing a Campaign as Saba (later formed Yemen) with the Invictus mod. They have quite some flavour and history you can learn. I'm on my third ruler so far (im a monarchy) and im having a blast.

• 4Like
Reactions:
One of the former devs has recently mentions in a stream that there is a patch coming and quite possibly new content. A patch and more mod tools for sure though.

• 3Like
Reactions:
They need to just open it up even more to the mod team and let them go to town on it. I'm hoping that is what the next update will do. I'd probably be down to buy it and give it a run then.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's still a really fun game that is easy to sink hours into.

I wish some parts were more accessible and others a bit more clear. It has one of the steepest learning curves I think. But the fundamentals are all good now.

• 2Like
Reactions: