Is it possible to modify the radius of Drone hubs and Drone power requirements?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All the buildings with variable ranges (the drone hub too - it's just that we always set it at maximum, which is the default) must have their default and/or maximum range stored somewhere else, and locked into that building's ID. I've tried modding the subsurface heater, the scrubber, etc and I can do so - but at the cost of losing the variability of range.

I've tried modding the subsurface heater, the scrubber, etc and I can do so - but at the cost of losing the variability of range.

What do you mean by this? Were you able to increase the range of the building but then couldn't vary it in game or that when you modified the building the in game range vary disappeared

What do you mean by this? Were you able to increase the range of the building but then couldn't vary it in game or that when you modified the building the in game range vary disappeared

The ranges were stuck at the default value. The bar near the top which you could use to vary the range disappeared. If I had been able to increase the range in these other instances, trust me, I'd have shared my discovery.

The ranges were stuck at the default value. The bar near the top which you could use to vary the range disappeared. If I had been able to increase the range in these other instances, trust me, I'd have shared my discovery.

Thanks, I thought that's what you meant, but I've learnt to never assume ;)

Do you know what caused the bar to vanish or are you still trying to figure it out?

Thanks, I thought that's what you meant, but I've learnt to never assume ;)

Do you know what caused the bar to vanish or are you still trying to figure it out?

My initial guess (when I had attempted to modify only the drone hub) was that it was a game play decision to do with pathfinding problems if the range got truly bizarre. However, as I now see that the problem also applies to other "ranged" buildings, my current guess is that these ranges are hardcoded, defined and linked separately from the building info - for a reason I can't fathom.

I did put in a request in the Suggestions & Feedback forum, so I'll wait for now.

Just made your own simple mod.

Open the Mod Editor > New Mod > open your Mod > "New Item" > "New Game Value

-Name that "Value" Comment if u want to
- Category "Drone" (there is where some Category Loading issue came up on my site)
- ID DroneHubOrderDroneRange (if the value doesn*t show up - welcome to my loading drama)
- percent (editable) integer (number/value)
- amount (editable) integer (number/value)
- Modified value = result of your math (percent + amount)

I highly recomend! Do not overdue it!
-75 percent works fine for me
- 100 think works to ( = Modified value = 100000)
- 150 buged on my site - perhaps some other values i changed that try

and at last :)
repeat that just change the ID "DroneRechargeTime" or something else

(Never Change to much - have fun to find the wrong entry if you do)

Greets !

Also, I went digging through the game files (you can extract the .hpk files, but you only get bytecode lua). From the bytecode, I found this in Lua\Buildings\DroneHub.lua
Code:
..CommandCenterDefaultRadius..min..CommandCenterMinRadius..max..CommandCenterMaxRadius
Not sure what it does, but feel free to try it. The same exist for the RC Rover in Lua\Units\RCRover.lua
Code:
..RCRoverDefaultRadius..min..RCRoverMinRadius..max..RCRoverMaxRadius

They're a pain to extract. Use this tool to extract the HPK files https://github.com/nickelc/hpk (Needs RUST installed, the build command is "cargo build"). To view the LUA files in a non-scrabled format, use a hexdump tool, linux can just apt-get. Windows: https://www.di-mgt.com.au/hexdump-for-windows.html Copy past the output and manually go through and make it somewhat more readable. Find function is a must. Also lets you look at at all the other assets

Just made your own simple mod.

Open the Mod Editor > New Mod > open your Mod > "New Item" > "New Game Value

-Name that "Value" Comment if u want to
- Category "Drone" (there is where some Category Loading issue came up on my site)
- ID DroneHubOrderDroneRange (if the value doesn*t show up - welcome to my loading drama)
- percent (editable) integer (number/value)
- amount (editable) integer (number/value)
- Modified value = result of your math (percent + amount)

I highly recomend! Do not overdue it!
-75 percent works fine for me
- 100 think works to ( = Modified value = 100000)
- 150 buged on my site - perhaps some other values i changed that try

and at last :)
repeat that just change the ID "DroneRechargeTime" or something else

(Never Change to much - have fun to find the wrong entry if you do)

Greets !

I saw this before, but the description for DroneHubOrderDroneRange is "How far away from the drone hub it would look for factories when ordering drone construction" so I gave it a miss. Are you telling us that this is in fact a disguised way of extending the drone hub range?

Plus I just created a mini-mod for this, and at +50% there is no change to the range of the hubs in either existing or new games. I could be doing something wrong, but... are you sure?

Oh, and there is an issue with the category coming up. It can be worked around. If you mistakenly open the second drop down while it says Gameplay in the first list, you won't see the drone information. You need to delete that entry entirely and create a new GameValue one, and the first thing to do is then change the Gameplay thingy to Drone - or whatever else you wish. It seems the second drop down list never changes from your initial choice in the first one.

Last edited: