• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wishing_Well

First Lieutenant
5 Badges
Apr 4, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
I have not come to any conclusion yet so maybe some of you might like to indulge helping me find the answer.

For sure HOI is a fine game with tremendous possibilities, but ah how hard it is to find dedicated and nice players.
By nice I mean that don't call you names, don't cheat and give into exploits, and show respect for fellow players.

I'm getting so tired of all those people that join a game on a lie ( oh, I was never told this was meant to be a regular game ), or that seem so intent on just ruining it.

Have you noticed too that finding a substitute player is hard, and often means the death of the game?

Would you like games that run to their conclusions, where one side is actually defeated after long hard fought battles, and not because players have to leave?

If you have read this far you probably know where this is leading me: I want to create a group of dedicated players.
I know it's been done before, and that they are some regular games at the moment, but I really came across nothing that satisfied me. ( For example Times of Troubles has already gone astray )

So, is there anybody among you that can make me answer positively the question? Are there players around making it worth playing HOI in MP?

In the event you feel as I do and want to play on a regular basis you are most welcome to state your v-net nickname, icq number, and availability. ( Sorry, but Icq will be mandatory to keep track of players and avoid people assuming someone else's identity - I think most of the regular players know the guy that has made a speciality of always changing names and constantly ruining games )

I will keep post n°2 updated with names and availability.

- Wishing_Well / 332-475-080 / any week night GMT saturdays and sundays.

-TIRO / 248-513-082 / Fridays night GMT + weekends.

-CYRIL / 265-987-302 / Wenesdays night GMT + sundays

-D / 316-480-854 / any week night GMT + saturdays and sundays

Last edited:
hi WW :) yes i agree with you about players who's ruining the game...
so im in:)
TIRO / 248-513-082 / Friday night + weekends (and ofcours other days when i have time)

Last edited:
Hi WW, you can count me in: ICQ: 265-987-302.

With regards to planning games and finding players: I've been playing MP since a couple of weeks now, and I find people through trial and error, and by using this forum. Even with a forum thread running, it's bloody hard getting a group together.

I wouldn't mind if you use this thread to find dedicated players, and you can perhaps keep some control over who you want in your games, and who not.
Because of the nature of the game, HOI needs a bit of central coordination in order to work. You can't just log in to score some frags, and get on with other things half an hour later.

I hear you. What we like do in the groups i participate in is to (at least try to) have a core of 3-4 players that are known for sure to be the "good" kind of player that you describe above, for the most important nations. Then we have a couple of new people. This allows for finding new good players without risking the game being totally destroyed by an idiot playing a major. Usually when using v.net it's 50/50 wether you find a good one or a bad one, while users of this forum tends to be more reliable.

I don't believe that the 36 scenario is worth playing - 3 years of peace is too much in many ways. But I've had many fine games of other scenarios, such as the Monday night game hosted by Vissarion which is on about its fifth session. We're about 3 years into the 39 scenario and the tension is rising as the Allies assail Festung Europa while Stalin glares across Poland at the solid Axis line.

Andrew

It certainly isn't worth playing single player. But tovolana is right, the PA is the easiest way to find regular games. Some of the rule-making is petty and absurd, but the games are usually good. If you can find rules you can live with at a time you can play, you'll get a good game.

Yes only PA :D !

If you want to play games from the beggining to the end go here:

http://p210.ezboard.com/fdynaversefrm38

register, chose the prefer series sign in and... you are finished for the rest of the world :rofl: ,

never seen unfinished game there, alwayes somone sub if one of players withdrow.

Cheers
Orthank

Good point WW. As in real life, own experience is most valuable one. I've found (after initial enthusiasm) that I manage to play "only" one game per week. And since my first game is quite success in terms you mentioned here, I'm more than satisfied. To share my experience, I can say Colonel Warden, Vissarion and Sgt. Bulldog are those friendly and honest players.

PA is not for me, so I find games here. In EU2 MP it's no problem, why whould it be here? Also, each game must meet expectations of its members, thus it's vital to sort out any (ok, it's almost impossible, but at the time game starts there should be no discrepancy among players) unclearness there might have been before the start. It's also quite important that one, who starts the game and recruit others, has clear vision and some experience with organization. And I don't mean organization of HoI MP games only, also organization of other events where more than one person is involved.

Last edited:
Well, I agree there is a big diffrence in how you recruit players to this two games.....but the reason is pretty simple; If someone is really bad in HOI the entire game will fall but in EU2 the other players can work harder to keep the balance of power.

Best of Both Worlds

I would like to add my support to Wishing_Well's proposal. I would certainly like to add my name to the list of those willing to set up a group of dedicated players who are prepared to see a game through to its completion, without the threat of someone "bottling out", simply because they are losing the war, or because they do not care to return to continue the game later.
I think that what WW is talking about, differs in some respects to the PA however. I am a member of the PA, but this grouping has more of a competitive element, with player rankings etc. However, what WW is talking about is aimed at those who just wish to have a friendly game, which they know will reach a satisfactory conclusion.
At times in which I am feeling competitive, and that I wish to achieve a "new ranking", I will be able to pursue the line of PA gaming. But at times when I feel that I want a game SOLELY for fun, I can participate in a game coordinated by this new group. This is the best of both worlds.
PA and WW's groups both serve their purpose, and I am happy to be a part of both.
Well done, mate. Great idea. :rolleyes:

To note, there are different catagories of games at the PA.

Official Series (regular weekly competitive games)

Team Tournament (organized competitive team games (2005))

Open Games (simple fun games that aren't ranked)

Group Structure (unranked or ranked (depending on preference) regular groups of players)

So, there's a bit of everything, and everyone is welcome. :)

Ok after a quite long break ( god sometimes I'd love to be back in school to be able to play 24/7 :D ) I have just played a HOI MP game. As conclusion I'd say it's like most in life - the best things often require a lot of passion and sacrifices, but the reward is sooo worth it ;)

I'll join,
I've never heard of/found out what my ICQ is, or was. I have MSN? Anyways, my Screen name is OEMCOMPUTER, and I'd be willing to play any of the minor powers to begin with. Preferably, Canada =P Because without them, the world stops spinning ;)

My problem

I have a question. How long do usual sessions last in HoI? Because I would love to play MP, but my dad has this program that limits me to an hour and a half every day. I really wish I didn't have this limitation, but does it mean I can't do MP. I'd be glad to join with you. I'm new, but I love the minor countries and am a cordial, eager player. Would I mess up things if I was a minor country but couldn't play through the entire session (if it was longer than my hour and a half)?

Maltese said:
I have a question. How long do usual sessions last in HoI? Because I would love to play MP, but my dad has this program that limits me to an hour and a half every day. I really wish I didn't have this limitation, but does it mean I can't do MP. I'd be glad to join with you. I'm new, but I love the minor countries and am a cordial, eager player. Would I mess up things if I was a minor country but couldn't play through the entire session (if it was longer than my hour and a half)?
It depends solely on group you play with. But it is common to let AI run minor countries when their players have to leave.

I'd suggest you another way how to solve your problem. What about convincing your father to let you play longer (at least once per week)? Or concentrating your time into one longer period, so you don't play 1.5 hour per day, but rather 3-5 hours a week (in one mp session)?