Is expansion ideas must have for trade companies?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

makaramus

Field Marshal
65 Badges
Apr 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I was planning to have trade companies but I was also thinking about %90 autonomy of theirs
is expansion ideas worth it if you are gonna conquer trade companies? or should I just ignore it
with goverment reform and no state building you can reduce it to %80 without idea
this means by picking idea group tax and man power bonuses coming from trade companies boosted by %50
but its after mid game, age of absolutism is about to start and I was wondering if its worth to take it even without colonizing
note:I am austria with burgundian inheritance so diplo relation is nice too I belive.(also without save scum and havingmy best game... all members of HRE asking to be my vassal right now. I am shattering france and offering vassalization to french duchies .)

I don’t think it is worthwhile solely for the lowered autonomy.

By the late game, the tax shouldn’t be that significant as a proportion of your income and production is getting a much smaller benefit since the impact of autonomy is halved while you already get all the trade value.

The only real, impactful bonus would be in manpower and I would wager you can find better sources of manpower (either directly or indirectly via fewer losses, if you really want to spend admin points and already have offensive I would consider late game innovative for the siege policy first) than a -10% autonomy in TCs.

I don’t think it is worthwhile solely for the lowered autonomy.

By the late game, the tax shouldn’t be that significant as a proportion of your income and production is getting a much smaller benefit since the impact of autonomy is halved while you already get all the trade value.

The only real, impactful bonus would be in manpower and I would wager you can find better sources of manpower (either directly or indirectly via fewer losses, if you really want to spend admin points and already have offensive I would consider late game innovative for the siege policy first) than a -10% autonomy in TCs.
its not just autonomy.
things that I think almost(almost because there are still some use for things like colonists like devolping land) waste are
1/2)2 colonist ideas
3)Colony growth speed
and thats it I suppose
everything else like extra relations or trade boost are ok.
I gonna take either expansion idea or admin ideas.

its not just autonomy.
things that I think almost(almost because there are still some use for things like colonists like devolping land) waste are
1/2)2 colonist ideas
3)Colony growth speed
and thats it I suppose
everything else like extra relations or trade boost are ok.
You question was if it would be worth it even without colonizing.

If you have a good use for the colonists (and encouraging development is not a good use) long term it would make the group a viable option.

If you are heavily colonizing, it is a must have group (if not one of the first colonizer it is better than exploration as you will steal or trade for maps and you are getting decent settler growth from tech)