Is Division strength directly proportional to unit strength (1-100)?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Achul

Sergeant
1 Badges
Jun 29, 2019
  • Darkest Hour
Hi.

Wondering if say a unit on 70% strength has directly 70% less damage or not?
Say if its soft attack is 10, will it now be 7 or will it be somewhere inbetween?

That's the main broken aspect of HoI in my view. Strength nor organization affect hits (soft attack 10) or damage. Org indirectly modifies damage through ESE. A unit with 1/100 strength representing a company has the same damage potential as a full division. 3x 12str divisions will illogically destroy a 100str division given all other conditions are equal. The benefit of Europa/Clausewitz's combat shell is that it runs simultaneously and stable without a huge resource demand.
Svea Reich/EU which multiplied actual strength by CRT result was a logical system despite the ridiculously high combat casualties. PDX just threw linear strings together until something seemed to work but, were left with a worse calculation in respects to wargaming. The only way the HoI resolution (which hasn't improved) could work in game theory is if the combat shell crunched lists based on squads/vehicles like Norm Kroger's Operational Art of War. Since the only variable combat weight is whether the unit (or it's summary components) exist or not during the calculation.

Last edited:
Sorry I dont understand that. How will 3x 12 divisions destroy a 100 st single division?
They still have fewer chances to affect hits so while they have a higher potential damage during a combat round their average should be lower?

Given that the divisions deal 1 damage a tick to each other and damage is equally distributed among the 3 12str divisions; after 34 turns the smaller divisions will have done 102 damage and the 100str division 34. Which would have killed one small division in turn. Any multiple division count with a sum over 33 strength will have an equal chance of destroying a full division. Divided over 50 strength will have 90%+ chance.
The calculation has improved in HoI4. Although the stats are static where it counts, in combat, at least now the unit attribute tables are updated between battles. Less game breaking as before.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misread your post.

So strength does nothing to influence the chance a division will attack each turn? I.e. having a 10 soft attack unit with 10 strength and 100 strength it would have equal chance of hitting? Completely equal? Are you sure?
I've always had this weird feeling that weak units collapse much faster than strong ones in terms of strength.

It's nothing I know, just something I've thought/felt.

Strength in HoI is like an old role playing game's hit points. Has no effect except to delete the unit when 0. As of DH 1.3 vulnerability and ground defense turned the statistics around in order to mitigate the problem of ant attacks I'm describing. So, the 3 divisions should cap their hit threshold at the single target's vulnerability value. While the lone division will always get 0.6*GDE hit chances against a random target every hour.

Last edited:
hm, iirc the TRP team has once made an very detailed calculation / researched very detailed how the battle system works.
iirc, the attack value IS modified by strenght. Softattack 10 but Strength 10% = softattack 1.

Thanks guys

Edit: Ah yes the vulnerability thing, I remember how that works now. I even knew it then I forgot it lol. Was a good change.

Last edited: