• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Same game guys..tweaked ui/rules set. The only major one I havnt played is the heart of irons..but looking at pics it sure looks like the same game with different rules. Sorry to burst yer bubble.

It's the same ENGINE, yes. But they are totally different games... How many games are there with the Source or the Unreal engines for example? Do you only buy one of them each because the rest play all the same anyways?

It's the same ENGINE, yes. But they are totally different games... How many games are there with the Source or the Unreal engines for example? Do you only buy one of them each because the rest play all the same anyways?

No because while games may use the same engine usually the games are very different or even different genre. Victoria, Ck, EU,ect ect is the same game but the information you have access to is just displayed differently or withheld. They did the same thing with Crusader kings to make Sendoku.

At least with EA sports NHL 90,91,92,93, etc etc are honest in that are updating the graphics and team rosters (though they cant get away with that anymore since games are online) With Paradox they are just selling you the same product with some of the game rules tweeked..its like the Warlock DLC - the game was originally produced with all the content and all they did is sell you access to what you already own. I personally dont like that way of doing business but Paradox has based its existence on it.

No because while games may use the same engine usually the games are very different or even different genre. Victoria, Ck, EU,ect ect is the same game but the information you have access to is just displayed differently or withheld. They did the same thing with Crusader kings to make Sendoku.

At least with EA sports NHL 90,91,92,93, etc etc are honest in that are updating the graphics and team rosters (though they cant get away with that anymore since games are online) With Paradox they are just selling you the same product with some of the game rules tweeked..its like the Warlock DLC - the game was originally produced with all the content and all they did is sell you access to what you already own. I personally dont like that way of doing business but Paradox has based its existence on it.

I believe your definition of "tweaked" may not be what the dictionary defines it as. I certainly dont see the differences between those four basic games, as tweaking. Sure the base game engine may be the same, but there is enough customization between each game to be different. I think maybe youre sensing a similarity between look and feel. But thats just the basic engine being used for all of them. Mechanics may overlap but that is because the games belong to the same genre.

Not sure if you have played the expansions/dlc but these make the games even more different.

I think maybe youre sensing a similarity between look and feel. But thats just the basic engine being used for all of them..
If it looks like a duck..and quacks like a duck..heh. Regardless I dont think paradox has the skill set for a warlock-like game. Thats why they are hiring outside. The paradox developers seems to be more data types while games like warlock require more arcade 2d/3d skills. I'm not sure what the professional term for that it ..but not all doctors are dentists.

edit: I clicked on your ARR..nice work btw..very proffesional layed out..I want to do a warlock AAR but the layout part is scarying me away..anyhoo add March of the Eagles to that list...sure appears to be EU/CK2/victoria with a different name. If you loaded up the same time period in any of the other games would your experience be that different?

Last edited:
I believe your definition of "tweaked" may not be what the dictionary defines it as. I certainly dont see the differences between those four basic games, as tweaking. Sure the base game engine may be the same, but there is enough customization between each game to be different...
Well, from my own perspective, regardless of how easy it would be to adapt Paradox's engine to emulate Warlock, I think that games like Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis are in some respects closer to what I'd like a grand-strategy game set in Ardania to be (i.e, sort of a quasi-disney-esque version of A Game of Thrones.) Y'know, with squabbling noble houses vying for influence under a weak central monarchy, individualised ruler personalities and lines of descent, economic verisimilitude and historical detail, social and religious tech trees, etc. etc. etc.

I'm basing this mostly on my brief exposure to Crusader Kings, but given that your various vassals and lesser nobility tend to have 'minds of their own' and quirky character traits, I don't think it's a vast stretch to imagine a Paradox game with autonomous, wandering heroes that you have to bribe, cajole, intimidate or inspire to join your cause. Which was, after all, the basic premise of the original Majesty. And while it's possible Paradox themselves got hung up on Majesty's superficial RTS qualities, I would suggest its underlying psychological appeal- the idea of following the inner lives of a varied dramatis personae within a self-consistent 'bubble universe'- had more in common with their own design tradition.

I mean, frack it, just look at this stuff. Landless adventurers? Rebellious pagans? Crusading missionary zealots? Berserkers, curses, runestones and divinations?

Lighten the tone a bit, work on the background, and it sounds like you're nine-tenths there already.

Last edited:
More of a Lab rat than a town Harlot IMHO. A whole slew of "experimental" games were set in Ardania, by experimental, I mean things outside Paradox's usual expertise.
I am pretty tolerant on this policy, because they will probably come up with something good eventually.

More of a Lab rat than a town Harlot IMHO. A whole slew of "experimental" games were set in Ardania, by experimental, I mean things outside Paradox's usual expertise.
I am pretty tolerant on this policy, because they will probably come up with something good eventually.
So, a ratwoman harlot? xD

Something to that extent. Harlot is such an ugly word, I prefer "working girl".
If they really want to experiment, they should hire Alfryd, tell him what kind of resource he have to work with, and turn him loose. Ought to produce something interesting and profitable faster than random prototypes.

When I thought of it in detail, this does not appear to be such a bad idea at all. The original majesty was known for being very original and very innovative. Regardless quality of all these prototypes, they tend to be off the beaten path, which is a good start.