Is 1.25 the best EU4 version? Or some other patch?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why do you dislike common sense? Parliament being half assed?

The click-button-to-add development system is totally wrongheaded. So are forts. Neither has been fixed and they make the experience unbearable (IMHO). 1.11.4 is the last version with neither, as well as the vastly more interesting old buildings system.

A million other halfbaked features since then make the game topheavy and bloated beyond belief. The AI in 1.11.4 can basically handle all the systems; AI diplomacy and expansion proceed in a mostly sane and competent (by strategy AI standards) way, and the gratuitous bankruptcy cycles and collapses that have plagued more recent versions are rare.

Finally, a bugbear near and dear to my heart, it is still possible in this version for New World countries to use the colony-seize trick to westernize by ~1520 and bypass the decades of waiting for the AI to randomly decide to drop a neighboring colony to yours. Makes playing in the New World not only tolerable but fun.

Reactions:
Could you link some writing on old AE guides then if you don't want it to become a major thing

Estates as they were originally added were a semi decent threat that you couldn't always guarantee wouldn't bite you in the ass unless you revoke all their land if you got their influence too high
They also nerfed early game economy by adding autonomy to provinces

Wish we could go back to exploration giving you a free cb on new world natives. My memories of the old patches fleet more and more everyday as they're replaced with the new patches, how often would the AI take land in India and elsewhere back then, don't think I ever saw England use its subjugation cb on Bengal, or France get the carnatic.

Persia having cores in 1444 was a half ass to get safavids in, and Ottos also had their cores back there

I'm sure these two pages are incomplete but they do give you an idea of how things used to work way back when.

Reactions:
Thats like saying taking a cars tires only removes its ability to drive not its ability to start. You are missing the point of why one would get a car in the first place.

I don't want to go into an entire argument about it here, but in the end, aren't achievements purely bragging points? It's not like your car not starting anymore, but more like not being allowed to choose the flashy color you wanted so everyone looks at you.

Anyway, to each its own opinion of course.

Reactions:
The click-button-to-add development system is totally wrongheaded. So are forts. Neither has been fixed and they make the experience unbearable (IMHO). 1.11.4 is the last version with neither, as well as the vastly more interesting old buildings system.

A million other halfbaked features since then make the game topheavy and bloated beyond belief. The AI in 1.11.4 can basically handle all the systems; AI diplomacy and expansion proceed in a mostly sane and competent (by strategy AI standards) way, and the gratuitous bankruptcy cycles and collapses that have plagued more recent versions are rare.

Finally, a bugbear near and dear to my heart, it is still possible in this version for New World countries to use the colony-seize trick to westernize by ~1520 and bypass the decades of waiting for the AI to randomly decide to drop a neighboring colony to yours. Makes playing in the New World not only tolerable but fun.
FYI there are still exploits in the current version which allow early reforming. I'm pretty sure the old "dev up an institution in a province, then release that province to a vassal" trick will have them embrace it so you can reform off them.

I don't want to go into an entire argument about it here, but in the end, aren't achievements purely bragging points? It's not like your car not starting anymore, but more like not being allowed to choose the flashy color you wanted so everyone looks at you.

Anyway, to each its own opinion of course.
That is honestly one of the dumbest arguments I have ever seen and Im only gonna reply with that playing EU4 at all gives you nothing but purely bragging points.

FYI there are still exploits in the current version which allow early reforming. I'm pretty sure the old "dev up an institution in a province, then release that province to a vassal" trick will have them embrace it so you can reform off them.
I confirm this still work. I did it as huastec with an anemist province released after dev pushing it.

Reactions:

Ooh that’s good to know. It’s been hard to vigilantly pay attention to what’s possible in each of the dozens of patch versions that have come and gone since I decided to stick with 1.11.4. Still, it doesn’t make much of a difference to me personally, as there’s too much BS in post-Common Sense for that alone to entice me back.