Is 1.25 the best EU4 version? Or some other patch?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

toegut

Captain
Sep 21, 2020
Is 1.25 the best EU4 patch? The one before the territory corruption, conversion nerfs, overpowered TCs, and the failure that was Golden Century? Or do you think some other patch is better?

Reactions:

decent AI, no ZOC changes by Wiz but still new fort system.

Allies mean less cause of access being HARD to obtain back then, which forces you to utilize troops better and more carefully,

aggressive AI.

only downside is no very hard difficulty available,

for the recent years 1,25 is BEST I think yes.

last patches made it dumber and dumber. Paradox even acknowledged the problem, and they will fix it "mid term". right.

1.13.2 was best in all of the patches IMHO. And some of the best players in the world would likely agree.

For example.. in 1.13.2 you had AI allies banding together and doomstacking your sieges. You never *ever* see that in these last patches.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:

decent AI, no ZOC changes by Wiz but still new fort system.

Allies mean less cause of access being HARD to obtain back then, which forces you to utilize troops better and more carefully,

aggressive AI.

only downside is no very hard difficulty available,

for the recent years 1,25 is BEST I think yes.

last patches made it dumber and dumber. Paradox even acknowledged the problem, and they will fix it "mid term". right.

Ai on 1.13.2 was best in all of the patches IMHO. And some of the best players in the world would likely agree.

in 1.13.2 you had AI allies banding together and doomstacking your sieges. You never *ever* see that in these last patches.
Can you still load 1 13 2? Or is there a hit fix patch between it

How did the 'new' Fort system work, no forts in every province

Can you still load 1 13 2? Or is there a hit fix patch between it

How did the 'new' Fort system work, no forts in every province

Yes you can roll back as far as 1.04. Google how I guess. It involves getting code to unlock in steam somewhere on a paradoxplaza website part after registration and syncing game or whatnot.

Old fort system was indeed lvl 2 fort in every province. This patch has new current system but without the counterintuitive changes wiz made to it.

Also.. in this patch hordes are not reworked yet

Yes you can roll back as far as 1.04. Google how I guess. It involves getting code to unlock in steam somewhere on a paradoxplaza website part after registration and syncing game or whatnot.

Old fort system was indeed lvl 2 fort in every province. This patch has new current system but without the counterintuitive changes wiz made to it.

Also.. in this patch hordes are not reworked yet
I know how to roll back, I was questioning if you could roll back to that specific patch via steam or had to download it

If level 2 Fort in every province, could you just build lv4 in 1444, or a Fort was already built and you could destroy it to save money?

I'd go further back than 1.25. It hadn't quite reached the nadir of 1.26 with terrcorr, but it was already sliding down that path. 1.25 was the release of Rule Britannia. 1.24 featured the change to the movespeed on all units that cut how fast they walk by almost 50%, making the game significantly more tedious and hurting the AI badly. This was also the patch that featured interest nerfs. 1.23 had drilling and professionalism that were basically never worth it compared to mercs, along with the Muslim piety meter being flipped. I'd say somewhere in the 1.20 to 1.22 era would be best. However, OP trade companies were definitely a thing by this point with 0% autonomy, although they hadn't been supercharged by terrcorr or investments yet.

1.30 is pretty good tbh and much more reminiscent of the 1.20-1.22 days than the 1.26 days. Governing capacity isn't a particularly amazing mechanic with its unavoidable building deletion micro, but it's nowhere close to the poison pill that terrcorr was. Looking back, it's kind of crazy how terrible terrcorr was, and that it persisted in the game for so long.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Tbh 1.25 was my first EU patch (if we don't count my playing EU2 back in the day) so perhaps I have a rose-tinted view on it with everything after it going downhill like dharma, golden century, muslim latin america... I know people like to dunk on innovativeness but I thought it wasn't that bad of a mechanic and I didn't really care for coal so 1.25 was in a sweet spot for me.

1.24 is the best since giving up random mission bonuses in exchange for 3 natios having a mission "tree" isnt worth the change. 1.30 could have been better then 1.24 if they didnt break the AI, mercenarys and made a underwhemlimg DLC wich set out to fix the problems of the HRE and Catholicism only to fix nothing and add more problems.

Reactions:
The best version is always the complete version which is always the latest version. Now, I do aknowledge that this time Europe has LOTS of problems. Particularly the HRE and Catholicism. That's why I have been avoiding that region/religion in my last runs. I hope and I call the responsible people within to fix the problems created in Europe after the last patch/DLC. Particularly the Council of Trent and the functioning of certain imperial events. That said, the latest patch is always the best. But please, please, PLEASE, do fix what I have hereby described.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
1.24 patch had good AI or 1.13.2 had better one ?

1.13.2 was pure. Not too much anti blobbing mechanics. No feature bloat.

Best ai was likely rights of men patch in 1.17.. but that is debatable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That said, the latest patch is always the best. But please, please, PLEASE, do fix what I have hereby described

It should be obvious by now that the devs don't care about fixings the issues with 1.30.

They took our cash and are now working on the next DLC that they can charge money for, they're not interested in spending time fixing issues that they can't charge us for...

Reactions:
How did coalitions work pre art of war?

I honestly do not remember. But in those early patch days they used to meme BBB France eating everything they wanted wit noone caring.. while an OPM in HRE gobbling up another caused insta big coalition.

I remember the chapel comic on this

I honestly do not remember. But in those early patch days they used to meme BBB France eating everything they wanted wit noone caring.. while an OPM in HRE gobbling up another caused insta big coalition.

I remember the chapel comic on this
Isn't that just noob players not knowing to improve relations, and how culture groups work

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Isn't that just noob players not knowing to improve relations, and how culture groups work

Not really. In early patches tiny nations might have gotten more ae per development point taken or something. But we are kind of derailing the thread.

On topic.. I doubt anyone in community will say any patch before fort rework is best patch.
So i like 1.13.2 since its the patch with least anti blobbing and feature bloat and total focus still on war.

After that estates.. mission rework.. feature bloat AI could not handle and more and more peace mechanics got added. Also government changes etc

Some (new) players might like those.. but all that stuff makes learning curve harder.

So 1.13 is best patch for me.. even though ai has problems. Ai was most challenging in my opinion in 1.17.. but that is likely due to added very hard option.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not really. In early patches tiny nations might have gotten more ae per development point taken or something. But we are kind of derailing the thread.

On topic.. I doubt anyone in community will say any patch before fort rework is best patch.
So i like 1.13.2 since its the patch with least anti blobbing and feature bloat and total focus still on war.

After that estates.. mission rework.. feature bloat AI could not handle and more and more peace mechanics got added. Also government changes etc

Some (new) players might like those.. but all that stuff makes learning curve harder.

So 1.13 is best patch for me.. even though ai has problems. Ai was most challenging in my opinion in 1.17.. but that is likely due to added very hard option.
Could you link some writing on old AE guides then if you don't want it to become a major thing

Estates as they were originally added were a semi decent threat that you couldn't always guarantee wouldn't bite you in the ass unless you revoke all their land if you got their influence too high
They also nerfed early game economy by adding autonomy to provinces

Wish we could go back to exploration giving you a free cb on new world natives. My memories of the old patches fleet more and more everyday as they're replaced with the new patches, how often would the AI take land in India and elsewhere back then, don't think I ever saw England use its subjugation cb on Bengal, or France get the carnatic.

Persia having cores in 1444 was a half ass to get safavids in, and Ottos also had their cores back there

Could you link some writing on old AE guides then if you don't want it to become a major thing

Estates as they were originally added were a semi decent threat that you couldn't always guarantee wouldn't bite you in the ass unless you revoke all their land if you got their influence too high
They also nerfed early game economy by adding autonomy to provinces

Wish we could go back to exploration giving you a free cb on new world natives. My memories of the old patches fleet more and more everyday as they're replaced with the new patches, how often would the AI take land in India and elsewhere back then, don't think I ever saw England use its subjugation cb on Bengal, or France get the carnatic.

Persia having cores in 1444 was a half ass to get safavids in, aDe nd Ottos also had their cores back there

Cthulhu has made ae calculator spreadsheet since 2014 I think. I do not think ae was really more then.. the mechanics were just unknown in early year or launch year..

I think some players like to go back to patches before art of war.. but i would not want to go sieging all provinces again.