• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andrei Gijgorev

Civilian
3 Badges
May 23, 2007
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
untitledu4fgo.png

Download
(Mirror)

Version 1.0
Checksum EKSW
Requires DH v1.03 RC3 (core checksum FYTK)

(Extract the zip archive into your "Mods" directory so a folder named "II" is created. You can then select the mod from the DH launcher.)

This is a mod I've been working on sporadically for the last couple of years and it's still not quite finished, but hey, here we go! Eventually I'll port this mod to the E3 map once provinces won't be changed anymore, but until then II will be using the boring ol' HoI2 map, as it was originally a DDA mod.

screensave0xecx2.png

With that out of the way, let's get into what Irredentism & Imperialism is. As the name suggests, it's an alternate history mod that revolves around empire-building and countries returning to former glory. In a way, playing II feels a lot like playing EU, as there are many alliances, few railroading events, and no scripted world wars. The political landscape changes a lot over the course of 10 years, and games can turn out extremely different. This is not merely random; rather there are multiple parallel developments that interact with each other. For a simple example, a quicker resolution of the Chinese Civil War may cause AI Japan to expand into Korea and Taiwan more quickly in return and to seek powerful allies to counter the perceived Chinese threat. There are also plenty of opportunities to start global conflicts, but without an aggressive human player the AI usually won't do so for quite some time, and while there are tons of local conflicts (and I mean TONS) they mostly stay local.

A short list of the most important timeline divergences:
  • The Manchu Restoration of 1917 was successful and resulted in the survival of the Empire of China in Shanxi and Manchuria.
  • The USA remained pro-German and did not enter WW1.
  • Japan didn't enter WW1 and went through a period of internal turmoil, as a result of which Korea and Taiwan seceded.
  • Denmark joined the Allies towards the end of WW1 and was awarded German colonies in Africa and the Pacific Ocean.
  • In Russia, the Whites fought the Reds to a standstill, and eventually contained them to Central Asia.
  • Following WW1, Germany was split into two states, Prussia and the Weimar Republic; later the People's Repulic split off.
  • The Turkish War of Independence was never faught and the Treaty of Lausanne never signed.
  • Italian Fascism failed to gain popularity and Italy entered a long-lasting depression.
  • The Communists rose to power in France and the Allies dissolved.
  • In general, WW1 was even more devastating and Europe hasn't yet fully recovered.
And now for some more screenshots:

screensave1jked5.png

screensave2epfm3.png

screensave4gsiev.png

screensave6l2it1.png

screensave105pdy9.png

screensave76vf2d.png

screensave81hfik.png
Gameplay changes and features:
  • When releasing AI puppets, you can select their production from a few presets.
  • II uses a revamped DH Lite tech tree.
  • Nuclear research techs have been removed. II is open-ended, so the DH AI being incapable of utilizing nukes reasonably is a big deal, unfortunately.
  • Currently no intelligence actions are allowed apart from increasing and decreasing spy levels. In DDA, there was a bug that forced me to disable intelligence altogether, and I haven't yet gotten around to implementing intelligence properly in DH.
  • Tons of AI switch events to make countries react to the current situation.
  • Complete overhaul of policies, featuring a new manpower system (no mobilization events).
  • Terrain, resources etc. have been completely redone.
  • You get two free tech team slots and one additional slot for every 25 base IC up to a total of 7 at 125 IC.
  • Many unit stats (especially ships/attachments) have been completely revamped. Battleships are now a more viable alternative to carriers and they also got new cute little graphics. Turbojet CAGs can only be attached to advanced carriers.
  • Research times have been drastically increased and the post-historical date modifier has been removed.
The mod isn't 100% finished as apart from intelligence there are also still some event descriptions missing, but the names and effects should tell you all you need to know. Country descriptions also still use the DH default texts and I probably won't update them until I begin porting the whole mod to the E3 map. If someone likes to write those kinds of texts, please send me a PM!

Countries that are the most fun to play:
  • Austria
  • China (all three of them)
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Japan
  • Ottoman Empire
  • Poland
  • Prussia
  • Russia

Things you'll see regularly:
  • Russian Civil War and Polish War of Eastern Aggression
  • French intervention in the Chinese Civil War
  • Sino-Japanese alliance against Communists
  • Sino-Japanese war over Korea and/or Taiwan
  • New Kalmar Union, war for supremacy in Scandinavia
  • German reunification
  • Austrian-Hungarian reunification and Sudeten Crisis
  • Partition of Italy between France, Spain, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire
  • USA turning ultra-nazi, ultra-commie, or dissolving into splinter states
  • Unification (conquest) of former Spanish colonies in South America under Peru or Argentina
  • Anglo-French-American three-way world war (if you play long enough...)
This is what Europe might look like around 1945:

pfp_194346ji.png
Recommended settings:
  • Rules: Singleplayer *
  • AI aggressiveness: Normal
  • Everyone can start war: Off
  • Full IC take over: Off
  • Tech-team take over: On
  • Puppet setups: On **
* With singleplayer rules enabled, AIs will generally perceive the player as a bigger threat. Also, with multiplayer rules enabled, very low/high AI chances are set to 0%/100% for more consistency.

** These are tons of AI events to check when AI puppets are created and could theoretically slow down the game. However, even on the oldest machine I own (~1.8 GHz) I was unable to observe any difference without throttling the CPU.

Big props go to guy_montag for converting all the flags I made way back in the HoI2 days to the DH style and also for doing the counters.

Have fun playing!

Last edited:
Hahah amazing of you to keep the mod to yourself for all these years and to release it only after it's almost finished. More modders should be like you

Last edited:
When extracting the zip archive you'll see a folder called "II", just drop that folder into the "Mods" directory of your DH installation. No other actions are required; I should probably make this clear in the OP...

Hahah amazing of you to keep the mod to yourself for all these years and to release it only after it's almost finished. More modders should be like you
Actually this mod was released (under a different name) for HoI2 back in... 2009? 2010? Something like that. Of course it has changed a lot since.

Im very interested in the mod, im surprised your using old HOI2 provinces and not DH
Intersting,but those provinces....I hate it :p can you please make the original DH provinces?
I was expecting those kinds of posts. See, I'm not going to port this first to the DH map and then to the E3 map as well. And if II was using the DH map you'd now be telling me to update it to the E3 map, right? Right.

It's not just a matter of updating province IDs, but also of converting all the changes I made to the map itself, like resources, IC, manpower, infrastructure, terrain, even connections. A year ago when I began porting II to DH and was posting here to look for some hands to help with that, no one volunteered for the map conversion work. I had more important things to work on then, and I still do as II is not completely finished.

Last edited:
Right, I completely forgot mentioning this in the OP! Research times have been increased to balance the also increased number of tech team slots, the reduced amount of techs, tech team take over, and the modified historical dates (they tend to be further apart). Unless you have at least 6 tech team slots with good tech teams, staying on top of everything is pretty much impossible and you will be forced to specialize. You can see this clearly in the naval doctrines tech tree where there are parallel non-exclusive branches, but most countries start with modern techs in only one branch and would need quite a while to research the "older" techs in the other branch as well. This is fully intended behavior, and there is no post-historical date modifier at all.

I guess that if the Chinese Empire is Under Pu Yi administration,must use the Qing Flag:

China_Qing_Dynasty_Flag_1862.png

I think I'll wait until you go EU3 on this, but it's nice to see some new mods, this one looks fantastic and I'll give it a crack in the very near future.

Just downloaded this, looking forward to giving it a try.
EDIT: Game installs and starts fine but crashes 2-3 days in. Confirmed with USA, Peru and Austria.
Can't reproduce this at all. Both the built-in validation and the event validator report no errors except those that are there by design (and aren't actual errors). Did you make sure the checksum is correct? Any graphics missing? My guess is that either you have modified vanilla DH in a way that interacts with II, or that your download was corrupted.