- May 23, 2007
Requires DH v1.03 RC3 (core checksum FYTK)
(Extract the zip archive into your "Mods" directory so a folder named "II" is created. You can then select the mod from the DH launcher.)
This is a mod I've been working on sporadically for the last couple of years and it's still not quite finished, but hey, here we go! Eventually I'll port this mod to the E3 map once provinces won't be changed anymore, but until then II will be using the boring ol' HoI2 map, as it was originally a DDA mod.
With that out of the way, let's get into what Irredentism & Imperialism is. As the name suggests, it's an alternate history mod that revolves around empire-building and countries returning to former glory. In a way, playing II feels a lot like playing EU, as there are many alliances, few railroading events, and no scripted world wars. The political landscape changes a lot over the course of 10 years, and games can turn out extremely different. This is not merely random; rather there are multiple parallel developments that interact with each other. For a simple example, a quicker resolution of the Chinese Civil War may cause AI Japan to expand into Korea and Taiwan more quickly in return and to seek powerful allies to counter the perceived Chinese threat. There are also plenty of opportunities to start global conflicts, but without an aggressive human player the AI usually won't do so for quite some time, and while there are tons of local conflicts (and I mean TONS) they mostly stay local.
A short list of the most important timeline divergences:
- The Manchu Restoration of 1917 was successful and resulted in the survival of the Empire of China in Shanxi and Manchuria.
- The USA remained pro-German and did not enter WW1.
- Japan didn't enter WW1 and went through a period of internal turmoil, as a result of which Korea and Taiwan seceded.
- Denmark joined the Allies towards the end of WW1 and was awarded German colonies in Africa and the Pacific Ocean.
- In Russia, the Whites fought the Reds to a standstill, and eventually contained them to Central Asia.
- Following WW1, Germany was split into two states, Prussia and the Weimar Republic; later the People's Repulic split off.
- The Turkish War of Independence was never faught and the Treaty of Lausanne never signed.
- Italian Fascism failed to gain popularity and Italy entered a long-lasting depression.
- The Communists rose to power in France and the Allies dissolved.
- In general, WW1 was even more devastating and Europe hasn't yet fully recovered.
- When releasing AI puppets, you can select their production from a few presets.
- II uses a revamped DH Lite tech tree.
- Nuclear research techs have been removed. II is open-ended, so the DH AI being incapable of utilizing nukes reasonably is a big deal, unfortunately.
- Currently no intelligence actions are allowed apart from increasing and decreasing spy levels. In DDA, there was a bug that forced me to disable intelligence altogether, and I haven't yet gotten around to implementing intelligence properly in DH.
- Tons of AI switch events to make countries react to the current situation.
- Complete overhaul of policies, featuring a new manpower system (no mobilization events).
- Terrain, resources etc. have been completely redone.
- You get two free tech team slots and one additional slot for every 25 base IC up to a total of 7 at 125 IC.
- Many unit stats (especially ships/attachments) have been completely revamped. Battleships are now a more viable alternative to carriers and they also got new cute little graphics. Turbojet CAGs can only be attached to advanced carriers.
- Research times have been drastically increased and the post-historical date modifier has been removed.
Countries that are the most fun to play:
- China (all three of them)
- Ottoman Empire
Things you'll see regularly:
- Russian Civil War and Polish War of Eastern Aggression
- French intervention in the Chinese Civil War
- Sino-Japanese alliance against Communists
- Sino-Japanese war over Korea and/or Taiwan
- New Kalmar Union, war for supremacy in Scandinavia
- German reunification
- Austrian-Hungarian reunification and Sudeten Crisis
- Partition of Italy between France, Spain, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire
- USA turning ultra-nazi, ultra-commie, or dissolving into splinter states
- Unification (conquest) of former Spanish colonies in South America under Peru or Argentina
- Anglo-French-American three-way world war (if you play long enough...)
- Rules: Singleplayer *
- AI aggressiveness: Normal
- Everyone can start war: Off
- Full IC take over: Off
- Tech-team take over: On
- Puppet setups: On **
** These are tons of AI events to check when AI puppets are created and could theoretically slow down the game. However, even on the oldest machine I own (~1.8 GHz) I was unable to observe any difference without throttling the CPU.
Big props go to guy_montag for converting all the flags I made way back in the HoI2 days to the DH style and also for doing the counters.
Have fun playing!