• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LoneStar Prussian

Major
28 Badges
Oct 12, 2015
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Ironheart
The War of The Nations
(A HOI - Darkest Hour WW1 Germany AAR)

Ironheart.png

Hello people of Paradox, I have returned in full force finally. With both of my other AARs on a indefinite hiatus because of life, I decided to come back smaller. This will simply be an Alternate WW1 AAR, as in, I may or may not win as Germany, and you know, anything can happen. I like to let these little introductions be brief so lets get into it, this is Ironheart - the Story of Germany in World War One, well, in a universe parallel to our own. Fiction!

Table of Contents

August
-Prologue (June 28 - 7)
-Chapter I (August 7 - 14)
-Chapter II (August 15 - 31)
-Chapter III (August 19)
September
-Chapter IV (September 1 - 16)
-Chapter V (September 17 - 30)
October & November
-Chapter VI (October 1 - 30)
December
-Chapter VII (December 3)
-Chapter VIII (December 1 - 15)
-Chapter IX (December 16 - 31)
End of 1914 Review
January
-Chapter X (January 1 -14)
-Chapter XI (January 16 - 31)
February
-Chapter XII (February 3)
-Chapter XIII (February 1 - 28)
March
-Chapter XIV (March 1 - 15)
-Chapter XV (March 30)
-Chapter XVI (March 16 - 31)
April
-Chapter XVII (April 18)
-Chapter XVIII (April 1 - 14)
-Chapter XIX (April 15 - 30)
May
-Chapter XX (May 1 - 15)
-Chapter XXI (May 17)
-Chapter XXII (May 16 - 31)
June
-Chapter XXIII (June 1 - 30)
July
-Chapter XXIV (July 1 - 15)
-Chapter XXV (July 16 - 31)
August & September
-Chapter XXVI (August 1 - September 20)
-Chapter XXVII (August 1 - September 30)
October & November & December
-Chapter XXVIII (October 1 - 14)
-Chapter XXIX (October 15 - December 31)
End of 1915 Review

January & February & March
-Chapter XXX (January 1 - March 31)
April
-Chapter XXXI (April 1 - 14)
-Chapter XXXII (April 15 - 30)
-Chapter XXXIII (April 19 - 26)
May
-Chapter XXXIV (May 1 - 16)
-Chapter XXXV (May 21/31)
-Chapter XXXVI (May 17 - 31)
June
-Chapater XXXVII (June 1 - 30)
July
-Chapter XXXVIII (July 1 - 15)
-Chapter XXXIX (July 16 - 31)
Epilogues
Epilogue I
-The Treaty of Versailles
Epilogue II
-Alpine and Levantine Victory
Epilogue III
-A Bug Squashed
-In Europe's Fields (Poem)
Epilogue IV
-The Great War Over

AAR Theme:

This AAR has been completed. There will be no more updates. Cheers.​

Last edited:
Interesting, interesting...

Ah, glad to see you back to a Monarchy. Question: will you go for the Schleiffen Plan?
Not when war breaks out, another nation will do something similar, I found this out when you let All Can Declare War option on.

Heil dir im Siegerkranz!

Are you going only to play ww1? I hope not
Are you using some mod? Options?

I am really curious! I have never seen a Prussian WW1 AAR

Unfortunately, life makes a lot of AARs to end

Prologue: One Spark, A Million Flames

"One Should Always Think Twice When Starting War." -Arthur Hoffman, President of the Swiss Confederation

----------------------------------------------​
June 28th - August 7th, 1914

A new age was dawning, and that was the Age of Modern Warfare. Long gone were the days of rampant imperialism and war being known as glorious and treated as a professional sport. It no longer mattered where you came from or who you were, as long as you could pick up a rifle then you were eligible to experience the damaging effects of war. This new 'World War' was the greatest example, all of Europe was at arms and all it took was a simple spark in the damned Balkans. But how did this happen? How could something so local turn global so fast, that it would start the deadliest war in Human History? Well, one only needs to go the beginning.

Formation of the Second Reich (1866-1871)
890328.jpg

Germany - Deutsches Reich
Perhaps the most overdue land to achieve the Nation State status, Germany since it's split with West Francia had for the most part been divided, both by opposing ideas and cultural differences between the North and South. Despite the passing of nearly a thousand years, no one in the Land of the Germans wanted to be united. This however all changed after the destruction of the First Reich, the Holy Roman Empire, by the Napoleonic Invasion of Germany. The French installed their own order and readjusted the borders of Germany to suit their own desires. When the Kingdom of Prussia along with Great Britain, Austria, and the Russian Empire finally put an end to Napoleonic France one last time, Germany's underlying dreams of unification were realized by the people. Nationalism was at an all time high and for the first time, people no longer wanted a Prussia, a Bavaria, a Hanover, and a Saxony, they just wanted Germany. A Second Reich. The Kingdom of Prussia was the first to capitalize on this desire for unification, but it would not just lay down everything for a united Germany, but rather one that acted like Prussia would. First Prussia liberated the Germans still under foreign subjugation at the hands of Denmark, next the Prussians liberated the Southern German States from their enslavement to Vienna, finally ending with the winning of the defensive war against France and the German Empire being declared at the palace in Versailles. A new day dawned for Europe, for the first time in its history, Germany was one. Now, it had only one purpose - to spread out and secure the reserved spot for Germany in the Sun.

The first thing on the agenda for the new German Empire was to have a colonial empire similar to that of Britain's. Germany was late to the colonial game however, and so she only secured herself the pacific islands, German New Guinea, German East Africa, German Cameroon, German German Southwest Africa, and German Togoland. The empire was mighty, but paled in comparison Germany's new enemies - the British Empire and the French Colonial Empire.

The German Empire was truly something to be proud of, but there was one underlying problem that the European Nations had for it, it was too powerful for Europe's sake, or at least that was how they thought. France and the former ally of the United Kingdom both formed the Entente, an alliance meant to contain and eventually destroy Germany because it was their only rival that could actually defeat them. Even more sad was the fact that they themselves rallied the Russians to their cause, and so Germany was surrounded by too desperate foes just waiting for a wrong move to be made. But Germany was not alone, the Eagle formed an alliance with her true brothers in Austria-Hungary, and both the newly liberated Bulgarians and longtime Ottoman Empire were sympathetic to the Fatherland's Cause.

The Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (June 28th, 1914)
hith-assassination-of-archduke-franz-ferdinand-E.jpeg

Austria-Hungary - Österreich-Ungarn

Whilst Germany's formation as a modern state scared the old order of Britain, France, and Russia forming an alliance to counter their new threat, that was merely the leaking oil on the ground, the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian Throne, by Serbian Terrorists, was the spark that set the world ablaze. Serbia was merely a puppet to Russia, another weapon to be used against Austria-Hungary. The Serbs have always insisted their country to be bigger than it actually was, in fact they would probably gobble up the entire planet if given the chance. Bosnia had recently been annexed after years of occupation by Austria-Hungary, a new addition to probably the most diverse country in Europe. However, this prompted the Black Hand, a Serbian Terrorist Group, to assassinate the Archduke as payment for Vienna's actions. The Austro-Hungarian's first response was to issue an ultimatum to Serbia, the conditions were so severe that Serbia would essentially become a puppet of Austria-Hungary, an underling. The Serbs unexpectedly did not answer all the demands, but were willing to commit to the less harsh ones. And for one month, Europe was on the verge of all out war. During this time, Austria-Hungary mobilized it's army for war, and this was good timing as at the same time the Land of the Tsars came on a white horse to rescue their Slavic Brothers, funny since the Tsar was more German than he would dare admit.

Untitled 8.png

Untitled 9.png

Traitorous, the Italians have broken their alliance with us, the German Empire, and our brothers in Vienna!

Untitled 10.png

There was no more avoiding war, the dawn of Modern War was here, and it would befall the entire globe. On July 28th, the War to to End All Wars began when Austria-Hungary invaded Serbia. At first, it was local to both the original warring parties, but things took a turn for the worst when both Montenegro and Russia came to Belgrade's Aid. Russia began to mobilize its army, and this was when the Kaiser raised an eyebrow at his cousin in Petrograd. He sent a personal message to Tsar Nicholas II, to stop mobilizing and withdraw from the Austro-Hungarian Serbian War. But he would not have it, Russia had for awhile been tetering on the edge of the abyss of anarchy and this was because of it's sudden failure for the state to do anything. Losing to Japan, not even a European Nation, greatly humiliated the people and calls for the Monarchy's removal were already being issued - and silenced. The Russian Empire needed a decisive victory, if not for personal gain then at least so that the Russian Peoples wouldn't tear down the country in blood and iron. As such, Russia kept mobilizing while calling Germany's Bluff 'Make Me'.
Make them we shall.

Untitled 12.png
Untitled 11.png

Untitled 15.png
Untitled 17.png

The War of Nations (August 7th, 1914)

Battleground Europe
Immediately, the German Armies stationed in the East were put on high alert while the rest of Germany began to mobilize for all out Total War. Defensive Forts were created and manned in East Prussia as that would be the first place the Russians would attack if they did at all, while other units were sent south for an advance to Warsaw and the eventual capture of Poland. The same was true in the West with the border with France as she was allied to Russia, and by proxy was allied to Great Britain. But, as stated before, Germany was not alone, she had the massive Austro-Hungarian Army to aid her, and to top it off, an alliance made in secret for now was signed between Berlin and Constantinople, the Ottoman Empire joined the Central Powers, but would act as if it was not for now.

Untitled 13.png
Untitled 16.png

The German Empire would be forced into a two-front war, and to win it, she needed to focus on one enemy before turning to the next. The choice was simple, Russia would have to be taken out first. While a beast, this was no David and Goliath struggle, Russia was broke and as long as Germany and her allies could capitalize on this, the threat would go away, and the German Flag would wave over Moscow. The French and British were the true enemy, together they could beat Germany on their own or at least stave her off, there was a plan for them too however. The German-French Border was that of pure death, any attack would result in failure because of the defenses. In order to bypass this issue, the Schlieffen Plan was made. This operation would be a straight invasion of Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. These nations were all symptathetic to the Entente anyway, besides, it was the only way. The only problem was the fact that Germany has no idea if France will invade the Low Countries like the Eagle will in due time, or even another country
Either way, this was Germany's Test by God, to see if she can truly tame Europe, to see if the Eagle could sacrifice everything so that at least one feather remained. That time was now, and no matter how long it may take, the War Will Be Won!

german_empire___grunge_war_flag_by_undevicesimus-d6j9fka.png

----------------------------------------------

End of Prologue
Hooray! We're back in action and uh, I really like where this is going. Let me know what you think. I'm sorry I couldn't get it out sooner, but seeing how I was busy for eighteen hours yesterday, I decided to have a Sunday release. By the way, unlike Hail To Thee In Victor's Crown, this AAR's contents will go by weekly instead of monthly. This lets me realistically be able to get this out with less content (think of the Great War channel on youtube), but understand this AAR won't be weekly. I meant it could, but there will be no defined schedule. The actual first chapter will come out whenever, probably some time on Wednesday, and the second on Sunday again, these two days are when you should expect something. Keep in mind, I won't only use actual pictures, thanks to Battlefield 1 don't be surprised if a picture is colored. Well, thats that, goodbye and remember, no matter how hard life can be, always find a way to come out the best you can.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wait, are you doing the complete Schlieffenplan? To succesfully pull that of, you are going to have to have many more man in the west, because the bulk of your army is in th east

Subbed!
For me, I would like to suggest a plan:
1. Russia first. Russia is big but fragile. If you crush them well they will be in trouble with dissent. October revolution will arrive sooner if they lost too much territories.
2. War with France only at West. War with Belgium will be a good reason for UK entry. Manning a short battle line will be an easy job to do against the French. No offensive in West until Russian's withdrawal from WW1.
3. Schliffen Plan after Russian withdrawal. Since more boys were redeployed to West, then the plan will indeed be a success. Either regular or expanded Schliffen Plan will do as long as no enemy at your back.

Reactions:
No! Not the Netherlands!
Hehe...
Wait, are you doing the complete Schlieffenplan? To succesfully pull that of, you are going to have to have many more man in the west, because the bulk of your army is in th east
Dear God no! Schlieffen Plan after Russia! Well, That's the Plan - and Plans are Meant to fail
Subbed!
For me, I would like to suggest a plan:
1. Russia first. Russia is big but fragile. If you crush them well they will be in trouble with dissent. October revolution will arrive sooner if they lost too much territories.
2. War with France only at West. War with Belgium will be a good reason for UK entry. Manning a short battle line will be an easy job to do against the French. No offensive in West until Russian's withdrawal from WW1.
3. Schliffen Plan after Russian withdrawal. Since more boys were redeployed to West, then the plan will indeed be a success. Either regular or expanded Schliffen Plan will do as long as no enemy at your back.
UK joins the war anyway, don't worry, they will get what is coming for them. In fact, if America joins the war I honestly would love to attack them head on. But yes, that is basically my plan.

Reactions:
Also if on pure defense in the West might be worth it to send some troops down to Austria-Hungary to make sure that they're able to tkae out Serbia quickly. No clue how thier AI is in this mod, but if you take out Serbia quickly that hopefully lets them focus purely on one front which can't be a bad thing (given the historical Austro-Hungarian army).

Reactions:
Subbed

NOTE: I am not dead! Just occupied a little :) Also, I'm thinking of making this a prequel to Hail To Thee In Victor's Crown and retconing the actual Kaiserreich story in my AAR, mix things up a little. Its nice to see the development of a premature empire in a world of old time imperialists and syndicalists.

Ironheart 3.png

Chapter I: The Great War

"Either foul Magics are at work here, or Vienna we have a problem." -Soldat Randolf von Rammstein at the Galician Front

----------------------------------------------​

August 7th - August 14th, 1914

932350694.jpg

German Soldiers march steadfast into the Land of the Tsars just after war had been declared.

To no one's surprise, the 'Final War' was upon all of Europa. No one person would be sparred from this conflict, from the poorest fool, to the tyrannical Tsar, and especially any man with a rifle tin his hand, but all knew it had to be won. Hours prior, the Russian Empire declared war on Austria-Hungary because the Austro-Hungarians decided it was finally time to end Serbia's existence. Russia was a stubborn ally to the Balkans and as if the Land of Marshes and Frogs wasn't big enough, it wanted more. The Bear charged into the Habsburg Empire, not knowing that Germany, the Eagle shining in the Sun, would come and make battle. The Kaiserreich declared war on Russia, and since the Russians were allied to the Triple Entente, war was declared on France as well. Germany was stuck in a two front war, the worst possible scenario. In order to successfully win this new and terrible war, the German High Command had two options: France First, Russia Second, or Russia for Dinner, France for Dessert. The choice was clear, the bulk of the German Army was already being deployed to stave off the Tsar's Army, and to make another offensive against a numerically superior foe would just be plain stupid. Besides, there was no sugarcoating it, the Austrian Army was by all means pathetic, Germany would have to bail her out if she didn't want Europa to carve her up. As a result, Germany now faced two ancient enemies on two different fronts with new weapons and old dogs, whether these dogs could still learn new tricks remained to be seen.

Untitled 8.png
Untitled 9.png
Untitled 10.png

Immediately after the ninth of August, the Bandit Armies of the Entente poured into the easternmost section of the Austrian Domain - Galicia, and turned it into a battleground. The fortress city of Przemysl was besieged by the Russians, the outer city being shelled to pieces. At the same time, down close toward the Romanian Border, the Russians attacked the unsupplied and hastily made mobilized armies guarding that portion of the front. Superior Russian Calvary and supplied Infantry was unevening the tide for Germany's immortal ally, and something needed to be done to counter it. However, before said operations could begin, grave news came from the English, the Kaiser's other cousin had honored his pact to his new French and Russian Allies. The British Empire on which the Sun Shall Set declared war on Germany, a knife in the back if you looked at it on a wider scale. For literal centuries, the German States and England were friends if not allies, and for the same time period, the French and Russians were the enemy, not the Germans. How times have changed it seems.

While the effects of Britain entering the war were not to be seen on land now, on sea things were already beginning to change. If the seas surrounding the European Continent were a hill with the German Flag planted firmly on it, it was now replaced with the Union Jack. Problem was, there were two German Ships now stuck in the vile Mediterranean, the SMS Breslau and the SMS Goeben, the only safe port that wasn't filled with an effected Austro-Hungarian Navy was that of Constantinople. However there was was one itsy bitsy setback, Constantinople was 'neutral' territory controlled by the Ottomans who were allied to Germany in secret, but had still refused to join the Great War. The Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire from Germany, Wangenheim, made an agreement with a Turkish Minister Enver Pasha. The two ships would be sent to Constantinople under the guise of aiding the Turkish Navy, but this was break Ottoman Neutrality, something the overarching government wanted to prevent. Instead, the ships were bought by the Turks and the German Crew was preserved since the Ottomans didn't have any other personnel to man the ships. This present the United Kingdom with a dillema, either let the Ottoman Empire keep the ships or attack Constantinople. Ignoring War Hawks like Churchill, the British Government decided not to declare war on yet another country, a watchful eye was kept on the Sultan regardless.

Untitled 12.png
Untitled 13.png
Untitled 14.png

Untitled 15.png

The British Empire wasted no time in occupying the virtual puppet country of Persia, not even people from neutral nations are safe it seems.
The British Empire joining the war transformed the war, it was no longer a European Conflict, but a World at War. The best example of this transformation was on the continent of Africa which had been carved up by both Germany and the Triple Entente prior to the twentieth century. The British, ignoring German Colonial Governors for neutrality on the continent, invaded all German Colonies in Africa. Togoland was hit first, being attacked by British Colonial Troops from French Colonies on the Gold Coast, the undermanned German Garrison on the verge of surrender. The second colony invaded was Deutsche-Südwestafrika, South African and British Soldiers attacked the German Army stationed in Luderitz. Unlike Togoland however, this colony was much more prepared for a British Attack since Germany supported the Boers against British Invasion nearly a decade ago. Things were different in Deutsche-Ostafrika though, mostly because of Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck's expertise in fending off the British despite being outnumbered, a revolutionary feet. He would make a great governor for a united German Africa, surely that is a pipe dream right?

Untitled 16.png
Untitled 17.png

3767de8dc254497bffff9c99ac144221.jpg

German Sharpshooters before engaging British Forces during the Battle of Luderitz in Deutsche-Südwestafrika, August 12th, 1914.
Jumping back to Europa, the German Army in the East lead by General von Hindenburg and General Ludendorff began Unternehmen Dorpat, the Invasion of the Russian Empire. A daunting task from the outside, a fairly easy one when you have all the facts. If the Russian Army already stationed on the Eastern Front could be destroyed, then by 1916 or ever earlier the Russian Giant could be beaten for one simple reason: It had no railway system. Germany if it wanted to could move every soldier to the West in two weeks, Russia it would be two years, this simple fact alone crippled Russia, for her Achilles Heel had been found. While the bulk of the Russians were invading Austria-Hungary's rear in Galicia, the time was perfect for a surprise attack on Russia, first into Poland, and then if the lower Baltics and Western White Russia. This was all assuming mind you that Austria-Hungary was exploding from within and the Russian Army wasn't in Vienna. But if the Kaiserreich was depending on luck then you need not worry, as Warsaw itself was abandoned by the Russians, no doubt not wanting to tangle with the best army the world has ever seen. The plan was to by Halloween encircle the Russian Army stationed in Poland and to break the Siege of Przemysl and save the city from the Bear. Of course, the Austrians were doing so well, with Tarnopol being lost and the Russians starting their journey to the Carpathian Mountain Range. This still wasn't the end of the Habsburg Monarchy's troubles...

Untitled 18.png
Untitled 19.png
flyerton99__150243.png

Russian_prisoners_tannenberg.jpg

German Soldiers overseeing the transfer of Russian Prisoners to Military Prison Camps located in Bavaria from Russian Poland, August 13th, 1914.
Speaking of Austria's Problems, while the Bear was gnawing at it from the East, the Serbs were poking the Empire in the eye. Serbia, the country who dropped Austria-Hungary's Lighter onto the leaking oil now found itself at war and alone against the Habsburg Throne, but this did not mean it would not go down without a fight. In truth, they were doing regrettably well, the town of Ruma even being attacked by the Serbian First Army while defending against the Austrian Counterattack, some foul magic was helping them no doubt. No army, not even the German Army, well actually maybe, that's besides the point, the point being that what the Serbs were doing was in one word - Amazing - and it was making the Kaiser jealous. The Austro-Hungarians were persistent in their conquest of Serbia however, and the capital of Serbia, Belgrade, came under attack by the Habsburg Army. The Balkan Front was precarious but nothing too serious for now, but the Kaiser might just care enough to send over a few men if suddenly a pack of angry Greeks/Romanians/Albanians come running over the border for the wrong side.

Untitled 19.png
austra-hungary-flag.png
Untitled 20.png
Untitled 21.png

Finally, ending out the week with a dirty taste left in Naval Combat's mouth, was the surprising news of the British Submarine Sinking of both the SMS Barbarossa and German Ocean Liner called Luther which was en route from Philadephia, USA to Brake, Deutsches Reich, and the failed sinking of the SMS Oranienburg. The news was an international shock to the world, not only had Britain cheated Naval Warfare by using Submarines in a way not used before, but to take the innocent lives of civilians, some who weren't even German but in fact American, was just cold blooded murder. The British tried to justify themselves by saying 'All is Fair in Love and War'. So be it then, Britain. Like a Spider you have spun a web of death and destruction, naturally, the German Eagle will wash this Spider out.

Untitled 23.png
Untitled 24.png
Ironheart 2.png

2015-01-29-Lusitania.jpg

Artist's Representation of the Sinking of the Luther during the first week of the Weltkrieg, Modern War was here to stay, and it was anything but pretty.

----------------------------------------------

End of Chapter I: The Great War
Well thats it for now, so let me make things clear. I know I'm not what I used to be when it came to these AARs, but I think this is a nice restart point. I will try not to make you all wait nearly a fortnight again (or was it just one week? I don't know anymore), and before you suggest anything, I've already played to where the mystery neutral nation was invaded, which was in November (honestly France?), coincidentally, I've saved on the 30th of November. Anyway, if you any questions regarding, let me know, and also let me know if you think making this a prequel would be good or not. I mean, I won't do something really strange and invade America or Britain, I'll still keep that aspect intact, its just that the war might end a bit early because of game mechanics and in Kaiserreich it ends in 1921. I could just rationalize it but thats not fun. Anyway, that is all, hope you enjoy, and uh, goodbye. Sorry again for the wait, I was just learning to appreciate myself more often :D

Last edited:
So wait, Britain's using subs now? Why? The reason the Germans used subs was that the RN was far too strong for anything else; Britain obviously doesn't have that problem.

So wait, Britain's using subs now? Why? The reason the Germans used subs was that the RN was far too strong for anything else; Britain obviously doesn't have that problem.
Because the AI is stupid.
No but really I guess the aim for the RN is to destroy the Kaiserliche Marine rather than just block it in a port for the entire war.