• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My tactic was always wait until the inevitable Anglobreakup. always works.

Chapter 22: Early war catastrophes... ahem... incidents

So, we left when Brittany decided it was high time to attack England and Scotland. Why on earth they thought this was such a good idea with nearly 20 war exhaustion is beyond me. But then again, nearly all of the AI countries have high WE, no matter on which side of the war. We have a nice, zero WE balance. Still...

311.jpg

We are blockading the Scots to drive their WE even higher. And because we can't really win against their numbers and technology.

312.jpg

Unfortunately, the wisdom contained in the last sentence was gained the hard way. By the usual, New Irish Alliance Doctrine, way of losing the first battle in a war. Ouch.

313.jpg

Customary, the first expedition force is completely routed. Not customarily, we now have two full 10-unit armies ready so we can switch out our general. The first army is nearly annihilated can retreat back to our waiting ships. We transfer the beaten army back to Ireland for morale and men replenishment. The second army is sent to Scotland. Unfortunately, that army is also vaporised. Another shock-6 king-general, this time the Scottish king. I thought I was playing without lucky nations?!?

314.jpg

We manage to retreat our near-annihilated army. Our WE is by now pretty high.

315.jpg

Oh well, third time's a charm, isn't it? And we'll place our army in our defensive terrain in Wales. Those mountains will help us, won't they? No -- they won't. The Scottish king Robert MacMurrough uses the old "disappearing mountains" gambit and surprises our troops by pulling away their defensive positions from under their noses.

316.jpg

Our third try nets us our third total defeat, and a by now staggeringly high WE for my standards.

317.jpg

The war overview so far, luckily for us the AI also has a high WE. Burgundy actually has made an invasion and has troops stationed on the British Isles. A new William the Conqueror?

318.jpg

Will Ireland send another wave of Irishmen to the senseless slaughters of the West English battlefields? What about Burgundy, will they be able to turn the war? Find out next time, on Ireland's Teardrop!

The Scottish leader is a real terror! 4 fire and 6 shock in 1514 is horrid!

The Scottish leader is a real terror! 4 fire and 6 shock in 1514 is horrid!

Perhaps you should arrange an accident for him, much like the Irish leaders experience from time to time.

It's a successful Scotland! I don't want to see them splinter through mere war exhaustion. :(

Ah, I see Ireland does psychological warfare too - you're luring them into a false sense of security! Clever. ;)

Perhaps you should arrange an accident for him, much like the Irish leaders experience from time to time.
An Accident you say?
I am almost sure this could be prepared, Given Ireland has the necessary manpower and the necessary changes in Doctrine...

loki100

Well, they do have many more men, and they also have the Military Drill NI. Scary!

Ashantai

Tell me about it... :(

Avindian

Good idea! Sadly, the Scottish kings are not even remotely as accident-prone as the Irish ones...

Arakhor

Oh, they'll have more problems than high WE soon... ;)

Malurous

Eh, yes... that was the plan from the beginning! I swear it! ;)

CivandEUIII

Actually, we'll use the tried doctrine of "do nothing and let your allies do the heavy lifting for you" :)

He's getting revenge for Flodden Field! :p

Back to the old ways?
Good. Very Good.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to reduce the update frequency, at least for the next few updates until my living situation is less temporary. Rest assured that it's not a "not playing the game" reason, I have the game played plenty of time in advance. It's purely a "don't have time to write updates currently" reason.

Sorry for the mess and inconvenience :(

Moving to another city and starting a new job is always stressful. Been there, done that! Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to an update whenever you find the time to write.

On topic: do the Scots split up their army? If not, a solution would be to lure the big stack to the Western Isles and block them with your apparently superior navy. There they might perish from cold wether, bad food and boredom, while you can start sieging with small stacks and hunt any new units with a slightly larger one. That is, if the old Irish alliance doctrine doesn't give sufficient results to break down the Scots a bit...
Quite gamey, but hey, the Scots with their Highlander event are not playing by the rules either :)

Edit: just noticed the huge English army. How in the world can they afford this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.