• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alfray Stryke

Stellaris Game Designer
Paradox Staff
QA
138 Badges
Feb 21, 2014
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • PDXCON 2018 "The Emperor"
  • PDXCon 2019 "Emperor"
So with the next version of iPadOS supporting Xbox and PS4 controllers via bluetooth without any workarounds, is there any chance of getting an iPad port?

Technically, even the consoles lack the power to run Stellaris at it’s original scale and they are much more capable than the iPad. It would be very cool. I’d want a copy, but sadly....

I might be mistaken, but going by Steam the system requirements for Civ 6 and Stellaris seem similar enough and my iPad can easier run Civ 6 with no issues.

I have Civ VI on iPad and on Switch and let me just say that the Switch version has things the iPad version does not. Right now I’m thinking of the leader animations. This is most likely just a RAM issue, because when compared to PCs or Xbox One/PS4 the iPad’s RAM is scandalously paltry. I mention this because Civ VI is a turn-based game and Stellaris obviously isn’t, RAM is always being accessed unless you’re paused in Stellaris. In Civ, it can devote all RAM to the game once you are done with your turn.

It’s funny too. I’ve read that the Switch is comparable to the Xbox 360 in strength. I don’t know if that is true, but it is noticeably weaker than my Xbox One X. Civ VI would run so fine on that, but I’ll never see that will I? And even though it would breeze through Civ VI, given the chance, it struggles with Stellaris. Not mightily, but I am playing a scaled down version of the game and can still notice some hitches in the console’s performance.

So I think it is safe to say that stated game requirements don’t really tell the story here.

I might be mistaken, but going by Steam the system requirements for Civ 6 and Stellaris seem similar enough and my iPad can easier run Civ 6 with no issues.

Just because it seems similar, does not mean it would be similarly compatible. Just like Kami said, the consoles just barely have enough computing power to support it. Unless we are 20 years in the future and the iPad t1000 comes out and takes over the world with it's sapiant AI, maybe then it will be powerful enough to run stellaris lol

While Paradox, in general, does want to try their hands at mobile games (like Prison Architect for example) I wouldn't count on a direct port of Stellaris to that platform. Stellaris is a very CPU-intensive game and even current gen console hardware made it challenging to create a port. Smartphones and tablets are a weaker hardware than that.

*Maybe* (and I do mean "maybe") a different kind of game with Stellaris' brand and philosophy could be created for mobile platforms, but this is just me being hypothetical.

Would the next generation of consoles run Stellaris better without any updates or would Stellaris need to be patched to take advantage of next gen hardware?

it would run better as is but at the same time there's no doubt with some optimization it could be made to run even better on next gen console.

Would the next generation of consoles run Stellaris better without any updates or would Stellaris need to be patched to take advantage of next gen hardware?
It's possible, though that is also speculation at this point as extended support hasn't been confirmed yet. If it happens however and Stellaris has a shot at becoming a cross-generation title, I think it's a safe bet to expect that new hardware could allow the devs to do more things with it.

While Paradox, in general, does want to try their hands at mobile games (like Prison Architect for example) I wouldn't count on a direct port of Stellaris to that platform. Stellaris is a very CPU-intensive game and even current gen console hardware made it challenging to create a port. Smartphones and tablets are a weaker hardware than that.

*Maybe* (and I do mean "maybe") a different kind of game with Stellaris' brand and philosophy could be created for mobile platforms, but this is just me being hypothetical.

Cheers for the reply dude! Would love to see more games support smartphones and tablets that are more like PDX's PC/console titles :)

Cheers for the reply dude! Would love to see more games support smartphones and tablets that are more like PDX's PC/console titles :)
Well. One thing that *is* on mobile and was recently fully acquired by Paradox is Prison Architect and the "Architect" IP in general. They will have a stream this Thursday. I don't know what exactly is planned, but it's probably worth watching!

Well. One thing that *is* on mobile and was recently fully acquired by Paradox is Prison Architect and the "Architect" IP in general. They will have a stream this Thursday. I don't know what exactly is planned, but it's probably worth watching!

Oh yeah! I've had that installed and played it for years, remember being rather pleased with it shown off at PDXCON 17 :D.

There is Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim, though it's nowhere near Stellaris on computing power requirements.

In case developers ever read this, I would suggest some form of a linked application on ipads. Something that could for example, allow creation of templates for planet construction or favourite fleet compositions, or favourite list names or would show statistics for game finished, or get the screenshots from the game saved (this could allow a lot of share this moments, which people could do in between games, when they are away from PC/console, but have access to iPad) and so on.