• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

J Michael Neal

Private
5 Badges
Apr 2, 2007
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • 500k Club
I'm playing a game as Britain. I currently control all of Germany's North Sea ports and Copenhagen, so all German naval units that were outside the Baltic are cut off from their bases. What has happened is that there are now six convoy raiders (auxiliaries) sitting in Helgoland Bight. They have somehow turned into superships. They sink battleships. They sink cruisers. They sink aircraft carriers. Naval bombers do nothing to them. Submarines can fight them to what is essentially a draw, with neither side taking any damage and the subs retreating. Nothing does damage to these beasts.

I've checked in as the German player, and it doesn't look like their supply or oil levels are decreasing at all. They have effectively blockaded Wilhelmshafen and Bremen, as naval units almost always retreat from them. There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of them. I tried logging in as the German player and just disbanding them (figuring they would surely have been sunk by now given the firepower I've thrown at them), but the AI wasted my entire stock of supplies in the instant of time I was the Germans.

How do I sink these monsters?

Are you talking about the merchant raider which is model 1 from nuclear submarine. Those with low 7-8 sea attack and defence but with ZERO visibility? Perhaps increasing the visibility will make them more vunerable. Perhaps when in battle they always are not in combat - new AoD feature, their counter is somewhat different colour then other units, more violet in a background. If this is your problem, I believe increasing visibility might help. Also try setting your naval units to "fight for the end" sort of victory or valhala thing for naval units, dont remmember the exact name.

This is a known problem with CORE modelling these ships as nuclear subs. In Armageddon the nuclear subs were broken somehow but the slots were usable for our Auxiliary ship.
In AoD the nuclear subs were fixed and way improved in combat strength so the raiders became superships.

So you mean that this particular unit type behaves different then other because of the EXE? Did I undestood correctly? Isn't combat strength dependent on the model stats?

Are you talking about the merchant raider which is model 1 from nuclear submarine. Those with low 7-8 sea attack and defence but with ZERO visibility? Perhaps increasing the visibility will make them more vunerable. Perhaps when in battle they always are not in combat - new AoD feature, their counter is somewhat different colour then other units, more violet in a background. If this is your problem, I believe increasing visibility might help. Also try setting your naval units to "fight for the end" sort of victory or valhala thing for naval units, dont remmember the exact name.

I am, indeed, talking about the merchant raiders. The *last* thing I want to do is to fight to the death, because they'll sink the entire Royal Navy. So, there's no way for me open up my ports?

If you're familiar with savegame editing, you could try removing the unit altogether. However, it should be done with caution and backup of the save is highly recommended before tinkering with it.

If you change the visibility you have to change the unit file and the ships in the savegame. Changing only the unit file will not have instant results, changing only the savegame will have instant results but values may revert back to original some time later.

The easiest solution to OP's problem would be to load as Germany and without unpausing the game, delete this units. Then save and reload as UK again.
Off-topic: I wonder does the ZERO visibility would really make them invincible. Maybe this would be a good trick in gaining exp. for the most skilled admirals. Just throw them in battle and retreat all the other units. Check the invincible units to fight to the end and voila: level 9 rear admiral with nice traits after a month? Could someone test it?

I managed to drop nuclear weapons on an auxillary and it did nothing to it then took large fleet to try to destroy the auxiliary but no damage and all I did was to remove the moral.

I know 0.50 is not finished yet, but for beta1 it's not fixed. With all those auxilary hilf-creuzer events it's so easy to train leaders to max skill. without any losses. They are also able to kill tones of british DDs.

Hilfskreuzers have been removed for 0.50.16 (not available as a public beta).

Currently, a couple of seaplane tender remain as auxilliaries / nuclear submarines. They may have to got out, too.

can't you model them as another model of Light cruiser for example, instead of removing? And as far as I can tell seaplane tenders have never had posed any problem so the problem is maybe not completely related to the fact you're using the nuclear submarine slot.

There are ideas about using a light cruiser for them in the dev team. But they definitely do not work as nuclear subs. A main reason being that apparently other ships use their anti-submarinte stats on them.

In all due probability the HSKs will reappear only in 0.51.

I still believe that it's all about that zero visibility. Only test you need to do is to check if plane tenders and monitors are destructable. They share the same unit type, just different model.

I don't think this is a CORE problem. I have only played the vanilla game so far, but I've experienced the same thing as the OP. In my last game as Japan, I took control of all the naval yards in the western pacific except for Hong Kong, which was still held by the British. The Prince of Wales was trapped there with several cruisers. In the effort to invade HK, that one fleet managed to decimate most of the Japanese navy, carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers and all without so much as scratching a single vessel. I know nothing of code, but I suspect that there is a bug that only pops up in this specific circumstance, when ships of a navy are trapped with no place else to go.

Merchant Raiders have been disabled in the last (internal) version. It is not possible to get them to work as modified nuclear subs.

We are discussing ways of modelling raiders by event. We are also discussing to model raiders as CLs, but the AI will not know how to use them.