Investment pool and political support

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Froonk

Colonel
1 Badges
Jun 23, 2020
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
I know already that if you keep interest groups happy they pay more towards the investment pool. However would it be possible to implement a system where interest groups may give temporary, lump sum support to state if state is trying to enact laws or policies they like, or the declare wars they want? Basically simulating both open and backdoor lobbying. Especially for contested laws or policies.

For example capitalist interest group may give you a one time investment pool addition for trying to pass a law they like against interests of masses, or offer to pay such to pass a law they would like. Simultaneously it could be possible for them to add money to investment pool to for example declare war on one country or another to either get market access or establish colonies for goods that are high demand in the industries.

I think adding direct financial incentive, particularly short term incentive for policies or diplomacy one wouldn't normally follow could add a lot of flavor and interactivity the game. So not only the player (thus the state) would be trying to incentivize their pops but also the other way around where pops could incentivize the player. It would create the "positive reinforcement" counter-part to the rebellions "negative reinforcement". A player might agree to pass a law or declare a war they normally wouldn't to get some lump sum funds to invest in infrastructure, factories or army or to placate another state or to suppress another interest group etc.

This could also lead to interesting scenarios where one might get entrapped into wars or laws they wouldn't have normally approved that could create political crises and what not. Overall just throwing the balance off with every decision going towards long term efficiency gain. Especially with industrialists trying to achieve vertical monopoly.

Reactions:
I know already that if you keep interest groups happy they pay more towards the investment pool. However would it be possible to implement a system where interest groups may give temporary, lump sum support to state if state is trying to enact laws or policies they like, or the declare wars they want? Basically simulating both open and backdoor lobbying. Especially for contested laws or policies.

For example capitalist interest group may give you a one time investment pool addition for trying to pass a law they like against interests of masses, or offer to pay such to pass a law they would like. Simultaneously would it be possible for them to add money to investment pool to for example declare war on one country or another to either get market access or establish colonies for goods that are high demand in the industries.

I think adding direct financial incentive, particularly short term incentive for policies or diplomacy one wouldn't normally follow could add a lot of flavor and interactivity the game. So not only the player (thus the state) would be trying to incentivize their pops but also the other way around where pops could incentivize the player. It would create the "positive reinforcement" counter-part to the rebellions "negative reinforcement". A player might agree to pass a law or declare a war they normally wouldn't to get some lump sum funds to invest in infrastructure, factories or army or to placate another state or to suppress another interest group etc.

This could also lead to interesting scenarios where one might get entrapped into wars or laws they wouldn't have normally approved that could create political crises and what not. Overall just throwing the balance off with every decision going towards long term efficiency gain.
Lobbying generally goes into politician's, rather than the country's, coffers. Since we're not strictly playing as the state I think it could be interesting to represent it that way so the player experiences bribing, but it would be more accurate for lobbying money to go to actual politician pops in the government to sway them towards policies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lobbying generally goes into politician's, rather than the country's, coffers. Since we're not strictly playing as the state I think it could be interesting to represent it that way so the player experiences bribing, but it would be more accurate for lobbying money to go to actual politician pops in the government to sway them towards policies.
Modern day politics often yes. However in Victorian era the capitalist/industrials and state were intrinsically tied together. Colonial project were often state opening up land, opportunity or markets for private ventures. Particularly because capitalists and industrialists of this era were highly concerned about achieving total vertical monopoly (I.E the whole chain between raw material and finished product).

I agree however that funds changing hands among interest groups and politician pops to change support for laws, policies or parties would be interesting as well. A way to represent the "imperfections" in the system with lobbying, corruption, backroom deals or the collision between political and private interest.

Last edited:
I imagine things like this are already in the game, in form of pop up events. Influence groups offer money/modifiers/their happines in exchange for priviliges/policy/law/tax change.

Random events like this already exist in EU4, so I dont see any reason why they wouldn't be here, possibly only lack of dev time. But even if, they would surely add them later.

• 1Like
Reactions: