• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't be long before the Americas are discovered now.:)

Good to hear Diane the Terrible isn't an insult from her own people, you had me worried there. A strong declaration that nobility cannot be bought; after all her family has done to stay in power and hold Cathay, I'm not surprised by her opinion.

If the Knights actually survive the century given their current position, I'll be amazed. I am rooting for them if only because they're the last line for a dying faith, but still.

Chapter 6: Destiny Awaits
Chapter 6: Destiny Awaits
Josef_Mathauser_-_Jan_%C5%BDi%C5%BEka_s_kn%C4%9Bzem_V%C3%A1clavem_Korandou_roku_1420_hled%C3%AD_s_V%C3%ADtkova_na_Prahu.jpg

This would be the third major war between the Crowns of Germany and Cathay, and the Rematch of the first Solar League War against Germany and Sicily. Since the First War Germany had continued a slow and steady collapse from within and around. Despite a powerful economic heartland and military the Germans were beset on all sides but still determined to save their nation from the Brink of Destruction. How this was was conducted would be what would determine if Germany could remain in place as a great power but also the position of the other members of the Solar League, Ferrara and Bohemia.​

j9btCIc.png

The Unified Crowns of Poland and Bohemia or otherwise more commonly referred to as the Third Bohemian Empire had risen to prominence in recent years. Provided the Poles and Bohemians could organize, they held enough power to match any one country alone in Europe and even in the middle east, with lands from the Elbe to Western Russia under their domain. However that did require the crowns work together and the Polish Nobility was notoriously fickle and disinherted in the far more german biased Czechs of Bohemia.​

XVj4BLP.png

As far as the actual war, Bohemia was to take the brunt of Sicily and Germany's armed forces while Diane's armies laid siege to Germany. Thanks to the rough terrain of Bohemia proper and the defense in depth of the Bohemian Empire it was expected that the Sicilians could be help up for years unable to reinforce the Germans.

This was not the case, as the Sicilian's had promoted Pankratios Kaisarios to lead their northern Thrust. Kaisarios was a talented field commander but more importantly had grown adept in the school of siege warfare, using Cannon and gunpowder to fell previously impenetrable walls. The Bohemian citadel at Prague fell within Months and the Sicilians rushed to try and save Germany only to run headlong into one of Cathay's own talented Generals, Findlay Bahram, a General who favored the Cavalry Doctrine of the Army, and was eager to prove their worth on the battlefield despite the increasing relevance of gunpowder.​

9U3pH9u.jpg

Despite victory after victory being won in Germany, the Bohemians decided to sign a hasty peace. The Polish Sjem had grown weary of the War taxes levied upon Poland to keep bohemia In the War. With Bohemia's armies weakening it had begun to look more and more like the Poles would loose confidence in their partner, and declare independence. The Bohemians naturally could not allow themselves to be in such a weak state and paid a paltry amount to the German and Sicilian alliance in exchange for their territories being restored.​

WZLJ6Wf.png

Luck however was not with the Germans, as while Bohemia had grown weary eager for a quick peace the Kingdom of Bavaria, a hated Rival had finally decided to make its own move. Due to the meddling of the Polish Sjem house Anniona has been cut from their Bohemian alliance and Bavaria had drifted into becoming a minor power within Europe. The Time for opportunism however had come and the Bavarians jumped at the opportunity to also carve themselves a slice of the German pie.​

V2LTJxC.jpg

With little hope remaining the Germans sued for peace. Bohemia, naturally was furious at such a turn of events however the Bohemians blamed Bavaria for thier delay in entering the war. Becuase Bohemia was absent from the peace deal Ferrara received the Bohemian share of the demands, and Diane negotiated for the seizure of Genoa to the Ferrarans rather than more minor gains in the Italian heel. The Provinces of Munster and Meppen meanwhile would be ceded to Cathay, further strengthening the Khitan stranglehold on Northern Germany.

Such minors demands however came with a high cost, the Solar League had not only lost more men but also half the Ferraran fleet. It would be some time before another war between the Great Powers would erupt in Central Europe and perhaps that was for the best.​

foAvcRN.png

In matters of technology, Investments paid into the realm of shipbuilding by Elizabeth had begun to return. The popularization of Triangular Sails, as well as the invention of new means of navigation were opening up the possibility of a voyage across the Atlantic in search of the ancient viking colony of Greenland. Diane however remained hesitant to commit any more resources to what was still considered a foolish endeavors. It would take foreign resources and initiative to push beyond the bounds of the map and truly dare to seek out the dragons that lay in the fog.​

wcA1ZmB.png

At home the Renaissance remained in full swing. Diane not the most diplomatically capable of Rulers had seen to it a corp of diplomats be created for the country.

Previously the Job of meeting with foreign dignitaries had been a duty of the Sovereign, the Consort or the Chancellor. However the Chancellorship of the Empire was often busy sorting Internal issues, and the Sovereign in this case was far more interested in military matters than speaking over trade treaties or holding intellectual debate.

To address these Issues Queen Diane announced the creation of an office for foreign Policy where diplomats would be hired and trained in the art of diplomacy. The old connections that Cathay still held from days past when it ruled the world worth speaking of were preserved through teaching and practice. From its creation onwards the foreign office would be an instrumental part of the Kingdom's dealings with other powers and be held in high esteem the world over.

q1Yz0uF.png

The Foreign Office's first main challenge would be handling the breakup of Andalusia. With Complete chaos in the Kingdom it was only inevitable for the Monarchy to be overthrown and then of course came the country coup. By the time the ashes had begun to settle the Kingdom of Andalucia was a shell of its former self and the vultures had come out from all directions.

All Cathay could do was watch as the Spanish continued to descend into warfare and anarchy. On the bright side however the Warfare in spain brought a spread of Renaissance Ideas to the whole of Europe, and many renaissance scholars found new homes in Italy, but also and rather significantly the British Isles who were now recovering from the War of the Roses.​

NBiVLun.png

In Cathay, Diane had given birth to an heir, named Catherine after the Famous or Infamous depending on ones perspective, Catherine the Nun. Catherine the Nun of course being known for falling in love with her own father, and abandoning her vows with the Church to Pursue the Throne against her siblings and other pretenders starting the war of the Four Dragons. The Largest civil war in Western European History since the fall of Rome. Catherine would go on to win every battle until she was killed north of Barcelona while trying to cross the Pyrennes. Her successors lost the history.

Naturally the hope was that Diane wished Catherine to take on her namesake's martial prowess and not other aspects of her personality or fate. Catherine herself however would grow up to be much the opposite in every respect, becoming a talented and intelligent ruler and only a competent warrior and diplomat, Much to the disappointment of her mother.

TTRFEld.png

In Central Europe the Fall of Germany was now in full swing. Weakened by the Solar League Bavaria had utterly eviscerated the southern half of Germany taking its place as the dominant German successor state. Though Bavaria had this moment of triumph the Crown of Bohemia and the Kingdom of Ferrara both looked upon it's lands with envy. Bavaria of course controlled the vital lands outside of the Ferrara capital of Venice and whos delay in joining the war cost Bohemia large sums of gold, great loss of life and of course a seat at the peace table.
But of course the news of Germany's fall was only one bit of news. A far more interesting tale was filling the taverns across western Europe. Not of German Mercenaries and War, but of an Irishman of all things. As if times were not strange enough, this Irishman had become somewhat of a celebrity in a short time, becuase of a wild claim.

There really Was something beyond Greenland, Something Further a land of Great Green Forests and powerful flowing rivers. A Land with Red Skinned natives and wealth beyond Measure.​

3iVg6qD.png

A whole new world.

Good bye Luxembourg. Looks like Cathay will be both France and Netherlands of this timeline. Also, Germany is once more a Khitan punching bag...I guess.

Fretherlands? Netherfrance? Francerlands?

No, Francois Hollande.:p

Greater Flanders :p

Can't be long before the Americas are discovered now.:)

You got your wish! but Nobody expects the Irish explorer. :p

Good to hear Diane the Terrible isn't an insult from her own people, you had me worried there. A strong declaration that nobility cannot be bought; after all her family has done to stay in power and hold Cathay, I'm not surprised by her opinion.

If the Knights actually survive the century given their current position, I'll be amazed. I am rooting for them if only because they're the last line for a dying faith, but still.

Can the Knights take advantage of the Spanish chaos I wonder?

And farewell Germany, or so it seems.

The Knights and the People they represent, the Portuguese have a long history of ups and downs. I wont say more. :rolleyes:

Interesting developments in Spain and the Catye take further steps to centralize power.

Got alot of work to do, An Empire doesn't rebuilt itself in a day after all :D

Germany crumbles, Cathay prepares its navy and diplomacy... and we get news of the New World. The real question now is if Cathay is in stable enough a condition in Europe to race West and start colonizing while they can.

Yes, when will Cathay turn West? Their own backyard is in a much better position than it were - though it could likely still use improvement.

With Catherine in power, I guess peaceful colonization is an option.

Just caught up with this, amazing AAR! I now have to read your Austrian one as well.

Everything seems Balkanized in this world except, ironically, the Balkans itself which seems to be united under Sicily :p

Chapter 7: A Whole New World
Chapter 7: A Whole new World
dfd32ff7a4503b3f5db4eee53a765037--albert-bierstadt-the-sierra.jpg

O'Shannon's discovery would be met with wide scepticism across Europe. Particularly in Spain, where efforts to explore down the coast of Africa and off the Islands of Cape Verde and the Azores had been stalled due to warfare. The Spanish embarrassed at having beaten refused to recognize Oshannon's discovery, In Cathay the debate had already been raging since Elizabeth's reign on if a land across the Atlantic could even exist at all and so O'shannons discovery only fell into the existing debate rather than settle it.

Nenffed.png

Nevertheless Catherine had little choice in the matter, If this new world existed Cathay could not afford to find itself lacking and so a commision was created for any Captains daring enough to make the Voyage. Many would try and fail, others would sign on only to attempt to make away with the promised commission but some would indeed make the crossing and one day return to tell the tale.​

BEARaK8.png

In Northern Europe Oshannon's discovery was overshadowed by the end of the Danish-Bohemian war over Pommerania. The Land transfers ultimately were minimal in this war with Bohemia's primary goal of reducing Denmark's ability to claim the german territories being filled.​

6mMWFyy.jpg

In Spain the Kingdom of Andalucia's collapse was now total. The Knights of Santiago had returned to the Continent with intent to claim thier lost lands in the Dejure lands of Portugal. Meanwhile Granada and Catalonia both had great ambitions for their own spheres of spain.​

taKLco2.png

In Italy the Kingdom of Ferrara made moves to enact a war decades in the making. Ever since the Ferraran Capital moved to Venice the Bavarians had controlled the only land route to and from city and could charge a high toll for traders passing in and out of the border, as well as compromise the security of the country. With Bavaria's allies distant and both Cathay and Ferrara fresh and ready for war the time to reclaim the Fruili coastline was at hand.​

qAZGyGH.png

Cathay primarily focused on the Princedom of Toulouse, as while Bavaria now held dejure German Lands Catherine was interested in expanding the Kingdom to any significant degree. The French states of Cathay's south however needed to be kept In line first and foremost, as if the French would unify under their own terms they could threaten the security of the Southern territories, most of which had french minorities within them.​

QJ0eH36.png

Despite war and Elizabeth's death her policies of Scientific advancement continued. The Renaissance after all was still in full swing and dividends for Cathay's early acceptance for such ideas would periodically pay for themselves both in better Government and Military technologies.​

u7kkXFC.jpg

With Toulouse dealt with and Sweden completly disinterested in actually honoring it's alliance to Bavaria the war quickly spiraled out of Bavaria's favor and house Anniona soon found their german conquests as well as most of the Bavarian core territories under occupation.​

E9letFT.png

The resulting peace would cede most of Bavaria's Italian territories to Ferrara allowing Ferrara to surround the Tirol Silver Mine as well as liberate the Capital in Venice. With Bavaria now dealt with of course a new option had opened for the Ferraran Kingdom. Sicily, was a primarily greek State, and the Cathayan Empire had been reduced to a Kingdom isolated from affairs within the Princes of the Mediterranean. If a few more territories could be brought into the Fold the Ancient Kingdom of Italy, could be restored.

The Dream of an Italian Kingdom would swiftly become a primary foreign policy goal for Ferrara, much to the dismay of the Republic of Genoa and Principality of Ivrea.​

1CoYCnk.png

In Spain the Treaty of Lisboa had been signed, and was very much the opposite of what was going on in Italy. Rather than the local Power growing stronger and closer to unifying the region, Andalucia now was forced to return the Portuguese territories of Spain to the Knights of Calatrava in their entirety. The Duchy of Granada meanwhile expanded its own borders. The Treaty of Lisboa, while not a permanent blow to the Andalusian dream of a Unified Iberia would be a massive setback.​

tJIttLR.png

With Peace in Italy and Spain an French-Italian explorer and close friend of Captain O'shannon, Christian Lioreux finally made the southern Journey from the Knight's of Santiago controlled Azores, finding and mapping the Coastline of what was being called America, after Christian's son Amerigo Lioreux.

qN9CNWB.png

Lioreux's discovery and maps would primarily be of the Southern Caribbean and the coast of what would later be called South America. The naming of 'The America's ' ultimately would be far more controversial than necessary with the Irish and a few others referring to them as Camelot while more Latin centric countries would use the more traditional 'America'. In Cathay the name would be interchanged back and forth as ultimately the New World's name didn't matter nearly as much, the potential was what mattered.

575vFyj.png

With the discovery corroborated by the Italians there was no more about about the new world's existence. Catherine in response doubled down on her policies for initial colonization of the New World. After all, nobody had even been able to establish a permanent settlement, Cathay still had ample opportunity not only to claim a part of America for itself but possibly to establish an entire empire. Of course Cathay wasnt the only power looking to America with hungry eyes.

t5YQxgY.png

The English now finished recovering from the War of the Roses also declared their intent to claim the new world for itself. The Scramble for the Americas was on.​

Last edited:
One gets the feeling that a new age has truly begun.

Germany crumbles, Cathay prepares its navy and diplomacy... and we get news of the New World. The real question now is if Cathay is in stable enough a condition in Europe to race West and start colonizing while they can.

Wouldn't be called into the West if the story of Cathay was 'Lets just Stay here' :p

Yes, when will Cathay turn West? Their own backyard is in a much better position than it were - though it could likely still use improvement.

In time, I'm staggering my expansion into France a bit just to sort of give a few other powers to play catch up. In the Meantime, Colonies!

With Catherine in power, I guess peaceful colonization is an option.

Its an option, Cant say I remember taking it :p

Just caught up with this, amazing AAR! I now have to read your Austrian one as well.

Everything seems Balkanized in this world except, ironically, the Balkans itself which seems to be united under Sicily :p

I tend to break up my Empires on conversion to keep the game exciting and Fresh, as when I'm powerful I tend to get bored with the AI. However when I need to claw myself back up to relevance and then be just weak enough in a game like Vicky that my #1 GP position is in constant threat I find the fun a lot easier.

The Austria game being a good Example, reunifying the Empire in Eu4 was loads more fun than if I just murdered India at Speed 5. And Taking on China for World Supremacy in Vicky and then HOI was also loads of Fun.

Ooh fun times are ahead, I was very curious as to what the New World would be called in this game, here's to Cathay colonial adventures in Camelot. And hopefully, a much bloodier fracas in Camelot compared to how boring colonizing is in vanilla EU4.

So I'm not much of a modder, did you make that note about Camelot being called America because there is something hard coded, if I'm using that term correctly, in game to refer to the New World as America and you can't change it to Camelot?

Hah, Camelot is not a bad name for an Irish discovered America. :p Is it a modded name by you, or part of randomness in the game?

Ooh fun times are ahead, I was very curious as to what the New World would be called in this game, here's to Cathay colonial adventures in Camelot. And hopefully, a much bloodier fracas in Camelot compared to how boring colonizing is in vanilla EU4.

So I'm not much of a modder, did you make that note about Camelot being called America because there is something hard coded, if I'm using that term correctly, in game to refer to the New World as America and you can't change it to Camelot?
Hah, Camelot is not a bad name for an Irish discovered America. :p Is it a modded name by you, or part of randomness in the game?
He probably just changed the text to read Camelot, or wrote a custom event with that text.

England and Cathay to fight over Camelot... Sounds quite fun. Less important, but it's also nice seeing your ally trying to become Italy reborn.