Interstellar Dominion: Best First Perk?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mastery of Nature would be useful if you have many small planets (size 10-15), and some edict reducing effects. Especially if you plan on taking World Shaper later on, to make them all Gaia planets. It seems ok to take it as #1, to get some use out of the blocker clearance cost reduction.

My usual first perks are either Technological Ascendancy, Interstellar Dominion, or Imperial Prerogative.
  • Interstellar Dominion is usually taken if I've scouted enough and see I have lots of open space to spam between me and my nearest neighbors or a good snake that will cut off a huge chunk of local space with a few good chokepoints. It's great as a Xenophobe and in combination with other reduction effects; 15-20 influence for a new system is no joke.
  • Imperial Prerogative is taken if I see lots of 20+ planets nearby and want to manage them manually, as the sector AI is a bit dumb at times. Losing control of minerals to a sector is a bit frustrating as well. It's fun to take after Expansion or as a Fanatic Pacifist if you don't mind the added micro.
  • Technological Ascendancy if neither of these apply or I really want to double up on the finisher boost from Discovery (my usual first tree).
I've never tried the "hold off until Voidborne/Ascension" strategy, but I can see the logic. The first picks I listed here become somewhat obsolete and a "wasted pick" late game, but they can get your snowball going a lot quicker if picked correctly. I think in my next game I am going to force myself to play a very limited 15-20 system tall game, so I might go the Voidborne ASAP route.

Last edited:
Especially if you plan on taking World Shaper later on, to make them all Gaia planets..
I don't understand why you think MoN interacts well with World Shaper.
Why is 3 extra tiles on a Gaia world better than 3 extra tiles on a Tundra world?

I don't understand why you think MoN interacts well with World Shaper.
Why is 3 extra tiles on a Gaia world better than 3 extra tiles on a Tundra world?
Well, not sure if they interact that well either.. But for sure tiles on Gaia worlds are beter then on other worlds, since you get the +10% output for being a Gaia world.. (yes, it's minimal, but it is beter)

Well true, it is not the most fantastic synergy, and 3 more tiles is nice on any planet, not just gaias.

But if you are going to take World Shaper, then you want to focus on developing planets. And bigger planets is better planets.

It used to give ALL cleaner techs. That part was taken away, and now it gives an edict to make the planet a bit larger instead. Not worth it anymore.

It is still of some use. Definitely not in the first pick. Worth if you have spare influence and stacked cost reduction of edicts.

For example in my current game I have:
fanatic spiritualist -10%
Artificial moral codes -15%
Cuthroat politics -20%

So I get 1-3 tiles per planet for mere 55 influence. Extra science without increasing research cost (based on number of colonies).

Of course, habitats are usually better, yet MoN is not complete rubbish, just situational.

Actually I always considered taking ID as first pick, yet it always seems that I can do without it. Mostly because for my game style ID is of limited use: I expand a lot and try to grab as much as possible.
But (almost) no conquests. Unless I get access to some 25 tile planet of good climate or important strategic resource. I wage subjugation wars (because no need to manage these captured planets). Subjugation doesn't need claiming.

Actually I always considered taking ID as first pick, yet it always seems that I can do without it. Mostly because for my game style ID is of limited use: I expand a lot and try to grab as much as possible.
But (almost) no conquests. Unless I get access to some 25 tile planet of good climate or important strategic resource. I wage subjugation wars (because no need to manage these captured planets). Subjugation doesn't need claiming.

The problem with that is the stupid relative power restriction. Without that i would agree, that it's a great alternative. However, if difficulty is strong enough, then relative power is officially equal at least, or bigger.

The problem with that is the stupid relative power restriction. Without that i would agree, that it's a great alternative. However, if difficulty is strong enough, then relative power is officially equal at least, or bigger.

But if you are equal, you still can demand tribute/vassalization, no? Of course AI will refuse and give you CB

But if you are equal, you still can demand tribute/vassalization, no? Of course AI will refuse and give you CB

No you can't. Enemy must be "inferior" at least. And the global must be that. So if you got overwhelming navy, but enemy got overwhelming capacity, and superior thech, then it might end up "equivalent" despite, that you can crush them like a bug. To be honest the message should be able to sent, and war waged without limitations.

Well true, it is not the most fantastic synergy, and 3 more tiles is nice on any planet, not just gaias.

Except you only get 3 more tiles on size 10 planets.

I just loaded up a nice fat empire. I have 64 planets with an average size of 17.2 tiles. If I took Mastery of Nature I would gain 80 tiles, the equivalent of four and a half planets.

For six thousand influence. I haven't optimised for claim cost at all and I could eat four or five whole empires and all their tiles for that. I could build 360 tiles worth of habitats even without master builders for that, or two thousand tiles worth of ringworld (albeit a lot slower).

Mastery of Nature would be a solid choice if it had no influence cost. Even then I don't think I'd prioritise it, I'd take it as a mid to late game finesse pick. As it stands it's a hard no, because you can always get a better influence to tile return from frankly any other endeavour.

I just loaded up a nice fat empire. I have 64 planets with an average size of 17.2 tiles. If I took Mastery of Nature I would gain 80 tiles, the equivalent of four and a half planets.

For six thousand influence. I haven't optimised for claim cost at all and I could eat four or five whole empires and all their tiles for that. I could build 360 tiles worth of habitats even without master builders for that, or two thousand tiles worth of ringworld (albeit a lot slower).

Mastery of Nature would be a solid choice if it had no influence cost. Even then I don't think I'd prioritise it, I'd take it as a mid to late game finesse pick. As it stands it's a hard no, because you can always get a better influence to tile return from frankly any other endeavour.
You can't exactly store infinte amounts of influence though
and influence isn't exactly a large bottleneck if you keep your factions happy.
i don't spend much influence on claims anyway because i tend to vassalize/tributary more and that does not require influence. So i'm often sitting on bucket laods of influence that i otherwise don't exactly use. and late game when i get a colossus i don't need influence for claims at all! (TOtal war, anyone? :) )

When I have total war, and don't wanna build megastructures for RP or whatever reason, I use it as my influence sink.

You can't exactly store infinte amounts of influence though
and influence isn't exactly a large bottleneck if you keep your factions happy.
i don't spend much influence on claims anyway because i tend to vassalize/tributary more and that does not require influence. So i'm often sitting on bucket laods of influence that i otherwise don't exactly use. and late game when i get a colossus i don't need influence for claims at all! (TOtal war, anyone? :) )

Should be using your influence on habitats then :p

One thing you have to realize is that bonus gets better the more other bonuses you have. If your influence cost is 75 and you get Interstellar dominion, now it's 60, a reduction of 20%. Now you can make 5 starbases for the same influence as you would have spent to make 4 before. But if you're already Fanatical Xenophobe and had the exploration tree, then you were 37.5 and now you're 22.5, a reduction of 40%!. Now you can make 5 starbases for the same influence as you would have spent to make 3 before.

I took Interstellar Dominion in my last run (fanatic purifiers) with 1000 stars and 10 races, max difficulty. By the time my first war occurred, I was twice the size of any of my neighbors, with enormous mineral income from all my space mining... and it just snowballed from there. I won the game before any midgame crisis ever showed up, let alone the end-game crisis.

Well, not sure if they interact that well either.. But for sure tiles on Gaia worlds are beter then on other worlds, since you get the +10% output for being a Gaia world.. (yes, it's minimal, but it is beter)
iu

I almost always pick the +10% tech speed
Either that one or Imperial Prerogative if I'm lucky and find a lot of planets in the neighbourhood. The one for more/better leaders is kinda useful as well. The other tier ones are pretty much garbage.

When I have total war, and don't wanna build megastructures for RP or whatever reason, I use it as my influence sink.

Should be using your influence on habitats then :p

Are habitats still good though? I still use them in tiny galaxy games but apart from that I find them a bit lacking now. I still go for the perk in some games but it does not seem a must have anymore after all these nerfs to habitat energy and science production. I'm currently playing a game in which I'm not taking any mega-structure perks an I'm not really missing them.
They are still awesome for Rogue Servitors though.