Interstellar Dominion: Best First Perk?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wolfgang I

Lt. General
45 Badges
Oct 22, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Is interstellar dominion the best first perk? I'm currently playing a game without it and even late game I miss the outpost discount when I building outposts in systems with terraformable planets which I ignored in the early game.

Is interstellar dominion the best first perk? I'm currently playing a game without it and even late game I miss the outpost discount when I building outposts in systems with terraformable planets which I ignored in the early game.

What do you mean by "best first perk"? It all depends on your gamestyle, build, objectives, and your criteria for smth to be considered "best" at smth.

What do you mean by "best first perk"? It all depends on your gamestyle, build, objectives, and your criteria for smth to be considered "best" at smth.

Best from a bang for your buck point of view. For min/maxing if you are trying something like defeating an early 5x crisis in a tiny galaxy for example.
I pick perks for roleplay reasons in non min/max games of course but I'm always aware that I'm nerfing my empire.

I, too, prefer Tech Ascendency as my first pick.

it's a good pick but depends on the map settings and your chosen play style.

if you're a warmonger or REXing in a large, sparsely populated galaxy it's probably the best first pick.

if it's a crowded map and you don't think you're going to do much conquering it's probably a waste, although even then the cheaper expansion could let you snag a few more vital systems before your neighbours.

on the other hand i think both the +unity and +research perks, while being universally useful, are also fairly weak and only worth taking if nothing else is really suitable to your current situation

on the other hand i think both the +unity and +research perks, while being universally useful, are also fairly weak and only worth taking if nothing else is really suitable to your current situation

That's largely why you pick them first if you're going to, because all the good perks are either tech locked or require you to have some perks chosen beforehand.

I like getting the expansion tree and the dominion perk while playing a devouring swarm. Nothing like having 6 constructors running non stop. Set primitives to max so you can "colonize" via invasion, and each new planet comes with snacks. Highly adaptable pops work best so you can enjoy all the flavors.

Under the right circumstances (playing relatively tall, limiting influence use while facilitating its gain), Executive Vigour can give you a big advantage if used early. Consecrated worlds is also a solid choice, if you're playing a spiritualist empire of course.

That's largely why you pick them first if you're going to, because all the good perks are either tech locked or require you to have some perks chosen beforehand.
sure, but other options are likely superior unless you're going for gimmicky all-in-on-science/unity builds

It's usually my first pick - the ability to gobble up systems early is pretty valuable. Snake off clusters and establish your space empire. I also tend to finish Expansion fairly early.

It's not just about the influence savings but also being first to the key systems.

I go science first almost every time. Other than that; I always get the mega structures. I sometimes get the colossus last. and I get the tech ascension.

When I cannot get any of those, I usually run Imperial Prerogative since I like running my own systems. I often also get the Mastery of Nature for the land clearance edict.

I do believe that it is the most powerful Perk for a good amount of setups. Being able to get more systems in the initial phase and also be able to take more are huge advantages. I wouldn't take it in some circumstances, for example pacifist in a cluster start or as a genocidal empire, but for the rest cases it is the best. The +10% research is nice, but it isn't as significant as people believe

I almost always pick the +10% tech speed
That pick is useful for the entire game but a tech focus early game tends to delay snowballing from my experience.

But there is no room for Interstellar Dominion!

1-Voidborne
2-Ascension #1
3-Master Builders
4-Galactic Wonders
5-Ascension #2
I tend to get the megastructure perks later but I find that I build less megastructures since the nerf of the labitat unless I play a tiny galaxy game. I play only tiny and huge maps and on huge maps there is not much megastructure build time left after the repair of all those broken ringworld segments. I might give a another game without amy megastructure perks another try next.

I like to pick Transcendent Learning as my first choice
Seems like an odd first choice as leaders only benefit from it after level 5-7(trait dependant) and I can get leaders to level 10 without it. I have picked this trait as a late pick though in Machine games to get my ruler to level 10.

Under the right circumstances (playing relatively tall, limiting influence use while facilitating its gain), Executive Vigour can give you a big advantage if used early. Consecrated worlds is also a solid choice, if you're playing a spiritualist empire of course.

Executive vigor is still a great perk. It is somewhat useful early game and starts to shine once you get unity ambitions.

Interstellar dominion is terrible and I never take it.
Who ever runs out of influence? Nobody who know how to play, that's who.
Since getting Apocalypse my first pick is always the Unity one because the sooner you get to Ambitions, the better.

Interstellar dominion is terrible and I never take it.
Who ever runs out of influence? Nobody who know how to play, that's who.
Since getting Apocalypse my first pick is always the Unity one because the sooner you get to Ambitions, the better.

Have you ever played fanatic conqueror style without being genocider? Try it out sometime. Here are the rules:
1. Non-gestallt, and no purifier. Your goal is to conquer the galaxy, and not wipe it out.
2. You must take out all other empires. You can do it slowly or quickly, but the more you wait the more chance, that federations form.