• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
panther-anthro said:
No, not really, but Canada is the equivalent of Siberia.
Goading aside, I see it as a rather bad made up name. It just screams funky alternative history making.

I like Nordunionen more and more.

But Nordrige is still very cool and appropriate.

MattyG said:
Funky is a positive word to me.
See it as steampunk. Funky and cool but in the end utterly stupid on many levels.

And no, I have no suggestion for a new name. Yet.

Hmm. Perhaps give Eire a core on Iceland when Norway is annexed by Scotland/Kalmar, to reflect some Irish settlers (there was Irishmen on Iceland sometime IIRC) and that the Irish are superiour in the region (with Greenland and so). That would also give Eire something to do other than colonizing.

Then Iceland might even get gaelic culture later on. The Iceland tag can have lots of other possibilities; a Norwegian gov't-in-exile, or them breaking off when the contact with the mainland is broken (someone controlling Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim?)

Tayya said:
Hmm. Perhaps give Eire a core on Iceland when Norway is annexed by Scotland/Kalmar, to reflect some Irish settlers (there was Irishmen on Iceland sometime IIRC) and that the Irish are superiour in the region (with Greenland and so). That would also give Eire something to do other than colonizing.

Then Iceland might even get gaelic culture later on. The Iceland tag can have lots of other possibilities; a Norwegian gov't-in-exile, or them breaking off when the contact with the mainland is broken (someone controlling Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim?)

We also plan for Eire to have a reasoanble land target (creating Greater Eire/Alba) and it can always get involved in Iberia, however, more options are better than fewer options, so, yes.

But why would it convert to gaelic culture? More likely Eire would get Scadinavian culture.

Love the govt-in-exile storyline, although I foresee a coding nightmare. :cool:

MattyG said:
We also plan for Eire to have a reasoanble land target (creating Greater Eire/Alba) and it can always get involved in Iberia, however, more options are better than fewer options, so, yes.

But why would it convert to gaelic culture? More likely Eire would get Scadinavian culture.

Love the govt-in-exile storyline, although I foresee a coding nightmare. :cool:

Hmm. Well, the gaelic part was because the irishmen on Iceland could become dominant under Irish rule, and because it's original. ^^

So, story 1: Norway is attacked, loses control of important cities -> Iceland declares independence -> if Eire controls Greenland, perhaps other requirements, can gain core on Iceland -> ? -> Iceland MIGHT become gaelic/Eire MIGHT get Norwegian.

Story 2: Same beginning as story 1 -> Norway gets annexed -> Iceland cn choose to accept the king of Norway -> Iceland gets boost, core on Norway -> If they succeed, which can be likely with intervention, they become Norway.

Then we can develop more. Cores on Greenland? Scotland; what keys do it hold? Who would support Iceland? Other significance?

Code:
event = {
	id = X
	random = no
	country = NOR
	trigger = 
		NOT = {
			AND = {
				control = { province = X data = -1 } #Oslo
				control = { province = X data = -1 } #Bergen
				control = { province = X data = -1 } #Trondheim
			}
		}
	}
	name = "The Icelandic Allting"
	desc = "When the Norwegian ships stopped docking in Reykjavik after the capture of Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim, the Icelandic Allting declared its independence from the Kingdom of Norway. While the Icelanders escaped Norway's enemies, their independence was not secure..."
	style = 1

action_a ={				#Independence to Iceland#
		name = "The Allting has chosen"
		command = { type = independence which = ICE }
		command = { type = stability value = -1 }
		command = { trigger which = X } #ICE: The Icelandic Independence
	}
}

event = {
	id = X
	random = no
	country = ICE
	trigger = 
		event = X #NOR: The Icelandic Allting
	}
	name = "The Icelandic Allting"
	desc = "When the Norwegian ships stopped docking in Reykjavik after the capture of Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim, the Icelandic Allting declared its independence from the Kingdom of Norway. While we escaped Norway's enemies, our independence is not secure."
	style = 1

action_a ={				#Ok#
		name = "Three Hoorays!"
		command = { type = INF which = -2 value = 4000 }
		command = { type = CAV which = -2 value = 2000 }
		command = { type = cash value = 100 }
	}
}

event = {
	id = X
	random = no
	country = EIR
	trigger = 
		exists = ICE
		own = { province = X value = -1 } #Greenland
		countrysize = 6
	}
	name = "Iceland and the Irish Supremacy"
	desc = "With Iceland having broken off from Norway, we have a golden opportunity to reinforce our control over the North. There are some Irishmen living on Iceland, must we not protect them?"
	style = 1
	offset = 30

action_a ={				#Pursue Iceland#
		name = "Iceland belongs to us!"
		command = { type = addcore which = X } #Iceland
		command = { type = relation which = ICE value = -150 }
	}
	action_a ={				#Ok#
		name = "Leave Iceland alone"
		command = { type = relation which = ICE value = 50 }
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
	}
}

Here's some events for an Icelandic chain... it's a start! :)

A good start.

I question the premise of the Eire event. It seems grounded in a more contemporary notion of citizenship within a nation state, and a states extra-territorial duty to protect its citizens.

In this time period we would want to find a different reason for Eire getting involved. First, of course, let's consider why they would even wan to take over Iceland. What's in it for Eire? If Eire has Greenland, then having some sort of positive relationship with the Icelanders will mean that Eire's merchants won't be harassed, say, and that tariffs for the use of ports won't be excessive. For an independent Iceland, I doubt thay would impose high tariffs: these few Eire merchants loaded with whale oil an salted fish are likely their golden egg, and they won't kill the goose.

I think that any event structure ought to work on this slow-build-in-relationship approach. Eire and Iceland's futures become entwined. This leads to one of two situations. First,a third party invades, so Eire can intervene to protect its interests, and can offer to have Iceland under its protection (inherit it). The second is that as the latter 1500s draws on it become painfully obvious to Iceland that it is a very small fish in an increasingly large pond and there is an internal movement for union with the North Atlantic's big player, Eire. If they win this internal debate the result is inheritance and a core.

Small note: the style = 1 part of the event is not required. It was for a feature from EU1 that was not used in EU2.

Finally, please do all this in a new thread, title Iceland in Interregnum. Thanks.

Last edited: