Internal Team : New Patch and Expansion Policy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The modular expansion thing, though - doesn't that limit you quite a bit? If you can't make serious updates to the executable, I mean?

No. We've solved the technical problems, and should be some pretty big updates to the executable.

Lets take Eu3 & Divine Wind as an example.

We'd probably had split that up into this..

- New building system - free included in the patch.
- Japan & China systems - small payable expansion.
- Horde mechanics - small payable expansion.

(and of course add some more features to those small expansions, with more focus on the aspects there.. )

One question, Johan, what do you expect the effect several modulars DLCs may have on mods ? especially content-extension mods like MEIOU :)p) ?

(Note : i understand fairly well that this new DLC thing might not apply to EUIII, just taking an example).

Will any of that impact the already existing games (e.g. HOI3, V2), at least indirectly? I mean the parts about improved patching/communication.

There will be more communication for the V2 expansion and its patches.

Do you have a price range in mind for these expansions? 5 euro would be ok, but if it is closer to 10 euros it would start to become really expensive considering how many there would be.

I can't comment on prices yet, but we'll look carefully at how you guys view it.

I am a skeptical about the true fan thing -- as they say about religion, there's no preacher more spirited than a convert. Locking late adopters out of parts of the community will fragment the community unnecessarily.

The idea is that part of the community is mostly active for the first months, where they have a big say on the direction.

We'll try too look into something like that. The Eu3 collectors edition forum worked nicely like that for the first few months.

Yea, that was great. I always wondered why there wasn't a "collector's edition" for the other games, as the collector's edition for EU3 was mainly "just" the forum with some goodies in it.

I've now got a doubt, though: I think most (all?) PI expansions have always received icons and tech support only for those that have the expansions registered, with so many DLCs I guess it wouldn't be very practical to have an icon for each one, so wouldn't these get lost in the crowd, so to speak? For instance currently there's no proof of purchase for the EU3 Spritepacks DLC but those are only a dollar or two, when the expansions themselves are released as DLC wouldn't this lead to a fall in sales? I'm just curious, that's all.

I don't think that will impact the sales, but there will probably be other ways for icons for you all :)

Since we can tie dlc & expansion ownership to the forum account directly through connect, we can even offer special icons and avatars and stuff to people who collect them all and parts etc...

Since we can tie dlc & expansion ownership to the forum account directly through connect, we can even offer special icons and avatars and stuff to people who collect them all and parts etc...

With 20 expansions for EU4 you'll need a new way to present them, though ;)

that's the part I'm most wary of. I tend to buy main game early when I can but expansions is something I have more trouble to do (not just pdox's, it's a general trend) so I tend to wait for a "pack" or special offer. In a way going the small DLC route might be interesting. I'd probably be much more enclined to pay for 4-6€ features than a 20€ expansion.

Thats why I think cheaper smaller expansions/dlc's is a better approach.

Sweet !

How will "true fans" be determined ?

Well, they'll obviously ask for a large sum of money to be donated on their bank account.

Probably something exactly like that. I wanted to use the word 'early adopter', but got recommended that 'true fans' sounded nicer.

You of all should know that true fans buy pdox games three years late when bugs have been ironed out to the point of playability. ;)

No. We've solved the technical problems, and should be some pretty big updates to the executable.

Lets take Eu3 & Divine Wind as an example.

We'd probably had split that up into this..

- New building system - free included in the patch.
- Japan & China systems - small payable expansion.
- Horde mechanics - small payable expansion.

(and of course add some more features to those small expansions, with more focus on the aspects there.. )

If you are going to be that sensible with the policy then I'm all for it. Building changes were game changers while the other systems provides some extra flavor for a select few areas. If major game changing mechanics are going to be included in patches that you don't need to pay extra for I'm totally ok with it. I just realized that it would probably be next to impossible to patch the EXE and retain the modularity if such major changes weren't included though. Oh, and the dlc:s can continue to finance more major changes, I'm liking this more already.

I don't think that will impact the sales, but there will probably be other ways for icons for you all :)

Sweet, that sounds fantastic, then!

Hmmm, interesting. I'm very positive.:)

One (possibly) unforeseen effect of this could be very posititve: momentum for games will keep going long after release. I don't know about you, but I love the buzz around the forums after a new release or expansion, hopefully this way that will keep going for even longer.

I am impressed, I find this new approach very interesting. It all sounds like a great way of binding your loyal customers to your 'brand'.

Here's to hoping it works out as you intend.
cheers2.gif

The stronger patching: obviously good news, but where is the development time/budget coming from? Could we expect base games perhaps to have maybe somewhat less features, but better implemented ones? Or is there just going to be more staff on each project?