• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(21575)

Second Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Upon declaring war on Poland, all hell breaks loose in the skies over Germany. I had bombers, and fighters from Iraq, Australia, Canada, France,Britain,South Africa, and kenya bombing my units. Man, this is really annoying! It happens every game too!

OprahAteMyBaby said:
that's not what i was saying, i dont mind france, or britain using airpower to destroy my war machine, but c'mon Kenya? Iraq? Australia? It's 1939! How'd Australia get to Europe!?

This was a problem in the 1st edition as well. I'm sorry they haven't resolved it becuase my guess is this means the Germans will just chew up these other air units as well.

Ship :eek:

I know, you cant put airplanes on ships but its abstracted bu making it possible to rebase to friendly airbases whereever they are, and instead making them very vulnerable during the transfer

rogers said:
This was a problem in the 1st edition as well. I'm sorry they haven't resolved it becuase my guess is this means the Germans will just chew up these other air units as well.

I don't have the game yet, but in the demo AI file, I noticed an "aid_allies" (or something similar) parameter. Looks like the AI files need a bit of tweaking.

The problem from the first game that is being alluded to has nothing to do with rebasing range. In HOI1 the AI planes pretty much were allowed to ignore range limitations altogether. You'd see raids covering half the globe.

I was hoping this quirk would be gone in HOI2 but I suspect it is not from what you described.

Dalwin said:
The problem from the first game that is being alluded to has nothing to do with rebasing range. In HOI1 the AI planes pretty much were allowed to ignore range limitations altogether. You'd see raids covering half the globe.

I was hoping this quirk would be gone in HOI2 but I suspect it is not from what you described.

The main aspect that has changed in relation to this problem is that we now have air bases which only function optimal if the base does not hold too many planes compare to the base size so you cant launch successfull attacks from anywhere in the world without first building up the infrastructure for it and the ai knows this. Also the rebase range is not only for the ai. It's for the player as well.

czolgosz said:
There is no Kenya in the game as far as I know. The rest sounds plausible enough; the allies tend to rebase their aircraft to wherever they have fronts.

There is no Kenya in the game as far as I know. The rest sounds plausible enough; the allies tend to rebase their aircraft to wherever they have fronts.

You mean they don't just let them sit there rusting, because.. c'mon we all know that's what would have happened IRL... :rolleyes:

Oh no the AI's using it's planes! Terrible :(

I guess it's only a problem if they strip their own aircover to aid their allies.

If, for instance, the Australians are getting pounded by the Japanese air force while their interceptors are busy flying over southern England, that's a problem.

Defending one's own national territory should take priority, but otherwise I have no problem with minors sending their airforces to help.

rogers said:

At least in my games Germans won't chew them up.