• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Personal favourite of mine, simply because of the rarity of a strong childhood friendship lasting for an entire lifetime of an Emperor

Ioannes Axouchos
In-game Dux of Opsikion 1117-1122; Dux of Paristrion 1122-1140; Dux of Mikra Skythia 1123-1140; Dux of Makedonia 1122-1140; Dux of Nikopoleos 1140-1147

At the siege of Nikaea in 1097, a young Turk was captured by the Imperial Armies, who was later presented as a gift to the Emperor Alexios Komnenos. This young boy grew up with the Imperial household, and formed a lifelong friendship with the heir to the throne, Ioannes, that was to shape the course of events for decades to come. The young boy, who took the name Ioannes, after becoming a christian, was a very gifted Commander, second to the Emperor alone in skill, during his reign, and the Emperor relied on him heavily. As Supreme Commander of the army, Axouchos became the Kingmaker of the Empire, ensuring first Ioannes' own accession to the throne, against the wishes of his mother and his sister in 1117 and later ensuring the accession of Ioannes' youngest son Manuel to the throne, in accordance with his friend's wishes. Can you emulate Axouchos' role as a loyal Kingmaker? Or will you take the future of the Empire into your own hands?

A Personal favourite of mine, simply because of the rarity of a strong childhood friendship lasting for an entire lifetime of an Emperor

Ioannes Axouchos
In-game Dux of Opsikion 1117-1122; Dux of Paristrion 1122-1140; Dux of Mikra Skythia 1123-1140; Dux of Makedonia 1122-1140; Dux of Nikopoleos 1140-1147

At the siege of Nikaea in 1097, a young Turk was captured by the Imperial Armies, who was later presented as a gift to the Emperor Alexios Komnenos. This young boy grew up with the Imperial household, and formed a lifelong friendship with the heir to the throne, Ioannes, that was to shape the course of events for decades to come. The young boy, who took the name Ioannes, after becoming a christian, was a very gifted Commander, second to the Emperor alone in skill, during his reign, and the Emperor relied on him heavily. As Supreme Commander of the army, Axouchos became the Kingmaker of the Empire, ensuring first Ioannes' own accession to the throne, against the wishes of his mother and his sister in 1117 and later ensuring the accession of Ioannes' youngest son Manuel to the throne, in accordance with his friend's wishes. Can you emulate Axouchos' role as a loyal Kingmaker? Or will you take the future of the Empire into your own hands?

Very interesting. Added :p

Faste Galta

Herra of Dal, 1066-1088

Not particularly famous or notable but if you're looking for a challenge he might be your guy. A dirt poor, independent county caught in between Sweden and Norway. In game Faste and his descendants will be independent until 1179 presumably because nobody bigger gives a damn. Can you turn Dal into the mouse that roared?

Faste Galta

Herra of Dal, 1066-1088

Not particularly famous or notable but if you're looking for a challenge he might be your guy. A dirt poor, independent county caught in between Sweden and Norway. In game Faste and his descendants will be independent until 1179 presumably because nobody bigger gives a damn. Can you turn Dal into the mouse that roared?
Added :)

Good to see more characters were added. :)

Good to see more characters were added. :)
I'm not gonna stop :p It'll probably take time because the map is huge and I don't always have the time read wikipedia articles then look if the specific character is in HIP, but with enough time and participation of the community, we'll have a nice long list of characters :D

As i said earlier, i could basically fill the list myself or with the help of my SWMH compatriots Ese Khan and Aasmul, but perhaps we should allow you guys some room for suggestions too

As i said earlier, i could basically fill the list myself or with the help of my SWMH compatriots Ese Khan and Aasmul, but perhaps we should allow you guys some room for suggestions too
Don't be precious now, there's space for every suggestion. If you know any interesting characters, do share them

I found an interesting character who isn't playable in vanilla. I'm not a historian at all, and this character doesn't have a Wikipedia page, but he is at least mentioned on Wikipedia so I'm pretty sure he existed.

Otago Shervashidze

Duke of Apkhazeti 1137-1183
This is an Orthodox Kartveli duke, first in his dynasty. But he does have some noteworthy family members: his father Abu'l Muzaffar Manuchihr is the Sunni Adhari ruler of the Kesranid Shahdom of Shirvan, tributary of Sakartvelo. Due to (historically inaccurate) open succession law, Otago stands to inherit his father's kingdom, where the people share neither his religious group nor his culture group. Otago's several brothers hate this non-dynastic infidel foreigner who is in the way of their inheritance. If you survive their assassination attempts, you have interesting choices to make about culture and religion in Shirvan, and whether to break away from Sakartvelo.

I've taken a short hiatus from Paradox games because I burnt myself out of CK2 (played more than 100h in a week) and I wanted to play other games I bought and barely touched.
Anyway, I don't feel like playing CK2 anytime soon (Stellaris 2.0 and Waking the Tiger have a lot to do with that) but as I said I won't abandon this thread so feel free to keep the interesting characters coming I'll add them to the front page.

Harald Fairhair king of the Upplands 862-872, king of Noregr 872-933

According to sagas as a teenager Haraldr Luva (shockhair) inherited the kingdom of Upplands (+Sygnafylki) from his father Halfdan Svartir (Black) who suddenly drowned while crossing the frozen lake of Randsfjorden. His lands quickly became target for attcks by his fathers rivals but was managed by his uncle Guttormr. As a lustful boy he decleared to Gyda (daughter of king Eirikr of Hordafylki) that he wanted her. Gyda proposed they would marry if he would become king of Noregr, this he swore to the gods he would not cut his hair untill the deed was accomplish. He began campains in Trøndelog where he allied himself with the Jarl of the Håleygs, Håkon Grjotgardsson. Harald married his daughter Åsa and Håkon recived Trøndelog as his domain for his contributions, establishing a dynasti wich would challenge the kings of Noregr. He later turned on the western coast and conquerd Mæri by fighting twice the battle of Solskjel against Hundtjofr and later his son Solve Klove. He collected the petty kingdoms of Nordmæri, Raumsdalr and Sunnmæri into one Jarldom under Ragnvald Mærijarl, father of the founder of the Orkney and Normandie (a popular possibility) dynasties. King Eirikr Anundrsson of Svitjod made campains into eastern Noregr wich Harald successfully repeled. The year 872 played a major event in Norwegian history, as petty kings began worrying they would be next a coalition of the reamaining kings, supported by the danes who themselves began to see the dangerous expansion and vikings from the Irish sea and Scotland gather under the banner of Kjøtve inn Riki (the Rich) and his son Thori Haklang. Harald learned their movement and sailed his fleet into Hafrsfjord using the ships and narrow opening as an natural fortress. The battle was a success and the kings Eirikr of Hordafylki, Sulke of Rygjafylki and Thori laid dead while the rest fleed. Harald went to his jarl of Mæri who cut his long hair and the jarl declared he was now Hårfagri (Fairhair) and Gyda did take him as husband. It is told he had nine wifes when he decided he would marry Ragnhild of Danmork on the condition he seperated the others. She did not live long and Harald remarried his previous wifes, but Ragnhild was able to deliver a son called Eirikr Bloodaxe, who eventual became king of Noregr, then exiled to be king of the Isles and Northumbria. The sons of Harald were many and provided major damage on his realm. Many were not satisfied with small domains and did not take well when he appointed Eirikr as high king of Norway. Harald would die leaving his country in a civil war wich would end with Håkon Adelsteinfostre (Æthelstans ward) as king. Håkon was a child of an concubine and ward under Æthelstan of England wich meant Harald began indirectly the christanisation of Noregr with England as supporters.

How would you conquer Noregr and how will you rule it?

Hope it's not considered necroing an old thread, but this one still comes up high in Google searches and not much else is available, as far as I know...

I'd propose a few interesting religion characters in HIP/SWMH:
  • Tourmarches Alexios of Anevo, 1066 start, single Paulician county tier vassal of BE under Strategos of Plovdiv. Strong marriage ties to bordering Pecheneg Khanate (married to daughter of the Khan), four unmarried female relatives in court for some instant dynasty diplomacy & prestige boni (although all do have weak claims on your county). Can you make the Paulician heresy the main Apostolic faith, or even perhaps supplant the Orthodox? All the while with Seljuk hordes attacking from the East...
  • Raj Dodo of Sauvira, Druze Sindh leader in the 1030 start. Surrounded by strong Sunni leaders to the West and Hindu ones to the East, can you prevail until the Hashashin order forms and potentially helps you? The Druze +2 intrigue bonus might come in very handy there...
  • Up to at least 1227, there is a Yazidi courtier in Kurdistan, Waldensian courtier in Westphalia and a few Slavic courtiers in Pomerania or Serbia that could be converted to. Might be quite interesting converting to as a ruler as well.