Interesting Change to Germany Strategy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

James Beil

Captain
73 Badges
Nov 28, 2010
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
I've just found a potential new trick for the Germany strategy involving an early invasion of Belgium!

In 1936, Belgium leaves the Allies, but is still guaranteed by France. For some reason, I thought I'd try declaring on Belgium, and I found that France would not intervene in '36, which meant I have enough time to force the AI to give me an offer, handing over Hasselt, Mons, Namur, Liege and Hasselt. This will make the '39 war harder as I'll be defending a wider frontage against France, but the extra IC and Manpower from a puppet Walloonia and an easier time finishing the Belgians, who have lost most of their IC, should be worth it - not to mention an easier time for the Panzers who now won't have to push through the Liege forts!

I'll update on how it's gone in due course! Save attached below. Note I've made a few edits to the scenario rules, mostly around giving more tech team slots so the Majors can get their research completed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was actually thinking of doing this myself. Would you do it again? Or was it not worth it?
It meant I finished the UK before 1940 was over, but I haven't been able to reproduce the lack of a DoW from the French - it might be something to do with the size of the army on the border.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I knew about this but never tried it due to how insane the AI gets when you DOW outside of the game's timeframe.

I've just found a potential new trick for the Germany strategy involving an early invasion of Belgium!

In 1936, Belgium leaves the Allies, but is still guaranteed by France. For some reason, I thought I'd try declaring on Belgium, and I found that France would not intervene in '36, which meant I have enough time to force the AI to give me an offer, handing over Hasselt, Mons, Namur, Liege and Hasselt. This will make the '39 war harder as I'll be defending a wider frontage against France, but the extra IC and Manpower from a puppet Walloonia and an easier time finishing the Belgians, who have lost most of their IC, should be worth it - not to mention an easier time for the Panzers who now won't have to push through the Liege forts!

I'll update on how it's gone in due course! Save attached below. Note I've made a few edits to the scenario rules, mostly around giving more tech team slots so the Majors can get their research completed.
Just came across this in the forums , that's actually good info you put right there , i am belgian and I don't know why I'm happy reading this

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I have been trying out a strategy where I am not attacking France. And instead go for Soviet Union before going for France+UK. This because I want to not have to deal with so much bombing from UK. My goal is also to build a surface fleet of CVs, with at least 12 in 1943 (and some CAs), to be able to take out UK island. I will also try to see how it is to take out Italy now in my next try. I will try to keep some better planning on forces, and maximize the IC capacity through also paying for deflation before annexing Austria etc, and keep off using money (but still trading money to myself) in the start of the campaign (1933). Also heavy focus on building IC early on, I will try to free up some IC from 1937 to start building army, but also keep some IC production into 1938.

For airforce in the westI am planning on building like 2x with AA and 4x radar, and some INT, not overdoing it, will also strengthen fort on maginot line a little bit. And I have also been thinking about building all my ARM early on with 4x series x3 (from 1937) all from 1936 tech, because it is cheaper IC-days, and then have the 1939 medium tank techbology before upgrading, so I have 12 ARM by summer of 1939, and have them upgraded to 1939 m-arm by 1941 Barbarossa. And then build 8 MOT and quite some 18 CAV (as CAV are quite cheap) as my mobile force, and then extensive focus on building as many INF as possible, with also quite some with arty, as for other attachments only some engies (around 25 tot) and some 20 AA-brigades total, and then some 12 m-arm for 12 of my CAV, 6 of the CAV will only be used to take out partisans. For Barbarossa is also needed quite some fight and 9 CAS are planned (maybe instead TAC, I need to see a bit better on range).

My big plan is though to build up a CV fleet, and then be able to take out UK as fast as I have taken out Soviet Union. I ususally also take out Sweden when taking out Poland, and also I will take out Yugoslavia and Greece, while allying Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Finland. Taking out also Norway/Denmark (event), and then I will try to take out Italy, because I can't ally Italy before I attack France. And plan is too just keep Italy defended on two provinces against France, but will need to do a test run. Plan here is also to have ple-built AA and Radars to deploy in Italian provinces next to France (as they are quite few). Controlling Italy I could also see as benificial as I don't want to focus on Africa.

Only tried once so far, but invested to much into navy and airforce, at least did not have enough INF by 1941. And also I anyways messed up on being fast enough with attacking. Should just attack Yoguslavia and Greece straight after Poland, and also go for fast Italy if going for Italy. Going for Ital y would be because of the extra IC-capacity, while also not needing to defend France + Benelux from UK and US bombing campaigns. I have tried with building AAs and Radars in western Germany, I have had no problems with allied bombing raids. Italy should be easier to hold while also having quite some IC, but also will be needed 30 div to defend border to France. If winning against Soviet Union, then ofcourse UK, France and Benelux are the next on the list.

UPDATE:

Tried twice, first time I built to much navy and airforce, second time I limited my airforce to 10 INT built (12 in total), and 8 CAS, with plan on building fighters, but in the end not finding the recourses. Second try I also limited my navy to 6 CV and 2 CA built by 1940, with 4 more CV and 2 CA coming in end of 1942. And the extensive focus on regular INF divisions, with only some 40-60 art built by spring of 1941, and 15 m-arm brigades on my 15 CAV, and 12 Stug with my 12 arm divisions (also had 8 MOT). Giving me a total of, with allied forces (Finland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Hungary) of some 220-250 divisions on for Barbarossa only, with additional 58 divisions (where 15 GAR) on border with France (30 of them in northern Italy), and also quite some probably 60 mostly GAR divisions in Scandinavia, Italy, Greece, Yoguslavia. Everything looked good for Barbarossa, as I felt confident in me having enough divisions, with more coming by the summer. But, then Benelux countries attack, and I am fckd.

I guess east first is a really bad strategy. I will try next with Germany to take out the historical + Sweden and Italy (and also Yogulavia and Greece), and then make France a puppet, and spam a the AA and Radars in the Benelux and western Germany instead. With also trying to get the 10 CV, 4 CA and some 12 DDs by early 1943. I will try to go for an early Poland, Sweden and then Benelux, France already in 1939, and Norway/Denrmak, and Yoguslavia, Italy, Greece in 1940. To get an early annex of France, and then release it as a puppet, hopefully then giving enough troops to defend itself while I go for Soviet Union. Again goal is to be able to keep off reinforcing with repairs and airforce, especially when USA comes into war. Again goal is to have the navy by 1943, to then take out UK.

Last edited: