• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crispin

Major
43 Badges
Apr 12, 2007
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Knights of Honor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I play a mod called blood and iron 1.0 so it could be mod specific.

As Manchukuo, sometimes when I attack Nat China, the attack is instantly defeated. Afaik it only happens if org is somewhat low. There must be something I've managed to miss all these years and I cannot really remember it happening in any other save games or mods.

the attack is instantly defeated. Afaik it only happens if org is somewhat low.
That is 'working as designed' and not mod-specific. If your units have no ORG then they will instantly break when directed to attack. You see this alot in games where you use puppets armies to support major's in prosecuting their wars. Leadership/dissent/terrain/fort/doctrine modifiers all in play as well.

Are you noticing your Manchukuo forces retaining any ORG after one of these attacks has been broken? I imagine it's either a zero or a value very close to it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another thing I noticed I get instantly defeated when attacking com china 8 lvl forts. Doesn't matter what unit, or what org I have.
Just to get it right:
You are saying that you attack with units of, let's say, 40 org and get defeated in the very first hour? And the defeated units have still lots of org remaining?

Yeah no real org is lost, sometimes a few men is lost. It's feels more like a manual cancel of the attack. I can't figure it out. After a year of trying, I just had to cheat annex them.

Yeah no real org is lost, sometimes a few men is lost. It's feels more like a manual cancel of the attack. I can't figure it out. After a year of trying, I just had to cheat annex them.
I thought I read about something like this in the past. In that incident, the person was playing as Germany but also controlling ROM (or had ROM expeditionary forces). When he attacked with the combined armies it would automatically cancel for some reason. Did you have a combined force maybe?

I play a mod called blood and iron 1.0 so it could be mod specific.

As Manchukuo, sometimes when I attack Nat China, the attack is instantly defeated. Afaik it only happens if org is somewhat low. There must be something I've managed to miss all these years and I cannot really remember it happening in any other save games or mods.
Personally have experienced a similar situation in the past and do not know for sure, and will likely be corrected if mistaken, nevertheless will share a thought:

What was the type of weather when the attack was launched? Asking because of the following from page 19 of the Darkest Hour manual:
  • "Both rain and snow will have a negative effect on your military operations, reducing units' combat effectiveness, quite significantly in some cases."
and:
  • "Certain types of terrain will also reduce movement speeds, hamper supply, and impose penalties to combat. The effect will vary depending on the unit type, generally impacting more severely on motorised units than on foot soldiers, and in most cases the terrain will give a defender an advantage, reflecting his ability to make strategic defensive use of the landscape."
As noted by others in this thread, it's likely the immediate defeat is by design and, possibly, it's a combination of:
  • poor organization;
  • lack of adequate doctrine;
  • stormy/snowy weather;
  • rough terrain;
  • attack launched during the night time;
  • an incompetent leader;
  • and, stacking penalty*.
If all of the above mentioned factors are taken together, perhaps the mod creator added the consequence of an immediate defeat for the attacking army? If this is indeed the case, it seems plausible and while potentially a frustrating experience, likely enhances the strategic atmosphere.

*The stacking penalty is also worth noting because if a leader that can only command 3 divisions is commanding (let's say) 20 divisions and attacks an army located on rough terrain in the midst of poor weather (and at night!), it's likely the attack will immediately break apart.

• 1Like
Reactions: