• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mel67

Recruit
May 23, 2020
This is something that has eventually happened to all of my save files rendering the missions and the game as a whole unplayable.

If I hit a certain directional key or pan the camera, the game will scroll in that direction forever or the camera will spin forever. In my most current game, I made it to day 52 before it happened, but now, I can press every directional key except for Q or A. Pressing Q or A will cause the game to scroll infinitely to the left and the only way to stop it is to shut the game down. If the game is saved while this is happening, reloading at that save will keep the bug intact.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why it happens, the trigger is not the same button every time and there is no way to stop it from becoming unstuck that I've been able to find.

Upvote 0
Do you have any console controller or joystick attached? If so please try unplugging it before playing.

I am having this same issue only it happens right off the bat. "A" toggles and infinite scroll to the left. I don't have a joystick or any other controller, I have unplugged and replugged my keyboard, swapped out game settings, reinstalled the game. There was a period of time when the game was working properly but that is no longer the case, I'm out of ideas.

This game has not been updated for ~18 months by now. If this happened since that last patch it must be an installation glitch, something in the computer, or a mod problem.

So when did this first happen for you please?

This game has not been updated for ~18 months by now. If this happened since that last patch it must be an installation glitch, something in the computer, or a mod problem.

So when did this first happen for you please?
It happened today. I got the game yesterday and it was working fine for roughly 13 hours and then shit the bed. I'm not using any mods. Going through the forums the infinite scroll bug seems to be a common issue across Paradox games.

It happened today. I got the game yesterday and it was working fine for roughly 13 hours and then shit the bed. I'm not using any mods. Going through the forums the infinite scroll bug seems to be a common issue across Paradox games.
This game was written by Haemimont , we just published it. It uses a different game engine than any of our other games too, so I don't think there's really a common thread here.

In any case if it was fine one time and had this problem the next, and no new hardware was added to the computer at that time, it's likely an installation glitch. Does this happen if you start a new colony too, or only in a particular existing one?

If it happens in a new colony now, What I'd suggest is a full clean reinstall of the game:

- move any valued save games elsewhere; they are under
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\{large number}\
- "uninstall" in Steam-Surviving Mars
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Surviving Mars AND C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\ folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add MarsSteam.exe to the exceptions list/whitelist of your antivirus app
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam SM or AppData SM locations, before installing again.

This game was written by Haemimont , we just published it. It uses a different game engine than any of our other games too, so I don't think there's really a common thread here.

In any case if it was fine one time and had this problem the next, and no new hardware was added to the computer at that time, it's likely an installation glitch. Does this happen if you start a new colony too, or only in a particular existing one?

If it happens in a new colony now, What I'd suggest is a full clean reinstall of the game:

- move any valued save games elsewhere; they are under
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\{large number}\
- "uninstall" in Steam-Surviving Mars
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Surviving Mars AND C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\ folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add MarsSteam.exe to the exceptions list/whitelist of your antivirus app
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam SM or AppData SM locations, before installing again.
Your fix worked. Thank you for all your help.

While I have your attention the privacy policy is a bit sketchy, the prompt sends the user to read the policy on your site and then has an option to hit okay with no way to decline it and if you hit ESC it registers that as acceptance. I know the game hasn't been updated in 18 months, I'm surprised no one has taken issue to this "feature" before.

I am too, I don't remember that myself in fact.

Next time I reinstall the game I'll pay more attention. Thanks!