• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dasaard200

Major
10 Badges
Feb 3, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
PROBLEM : As USSR, I'm preparing for Barbarossa on 20 September'40, with 186 Grunt 1s [9/1(+arty)], and 36 Grunt 2s [9/1 (+arty, eng, AA)] ; spread out along the old Russian border and the Dnepr line ... while having 40 XXs lined up to grow to L2 {trained} .
At the moment, I'm showing a -1.15K lack of Inf Eq. [4 days worth] ... BUT I've also been setting up 10 states for Tankograd, and have filled 15 WFs of the 30 WFs required, so far, I've 31 of 40 WFs done .

So IF I chop off the most recent XX replacements [under 10% training], will the Game REFUND the excess Inf Eq. that those 'chopped' XXs would have otherwise spent ??
If it DOES, I've got a lot eager Grunt 1s to grow into Grunt 2s !!, and only 'chopping' 4 or 6 XXs to do so .

I'm going to guess you division template is 9 inf 1 Arty on the line

AFAIK disbanding divisions gives back all the manpower and equipment of the divisions, with the only thing wasted being the experience of the division(which if it isn't above Regulars, then it isn't an issue) with the only exception being if the Division is surrounded which IIRC you only get back 15% of the Manpower(to prevent people from doing cheese by disbanding surrounded divisions bound to be destroyed to conserve manpower and equipment)

As for if you should, honestly its up to you. Considering that you have a LOT of infantry out on the field, a deficit of about 1K Guns is practically negligible and likely won't impact the ability of your divisions on the field that much, unless its caused by you pumping out some Divisions Early, but even then that'd be what? 3-4 Divisions tops that have any significant impact from the lack of equipment.

The bigger issue is that if you are worried about a deficit that'll be fixed within 4 days of production and you still have divisions training you might be getting hit at below max org, and potentially without having max entrenchment.

All in All, I usually find that disbanding divisions to free up their equipment is usually a bad idea(with the exception of cutting divisions in the training tab while you are at bad deficits) because usually you can just hold the line for a month or so while you wait for your logistics to sort itself out(especially for things like Infantry Equipment). However what's probably your bigger issue is that you have a whole 36 Divisions that have the piercing to potentially deny GER's Armor its armor bonus, and if you have been having issues with GER overruning you in Barbarossa I'll give two potential suggestions for you to take:

1. Go for more Quality over Quantity, you have a LOT of divisions, honestly a division count of 150 or so good divisions might be able to hold the line just fine, the issue is that you have a large lack of AT or AA in your divisions which means that GER's Tanks will not have any issue getting armor buffs against your infantry, which will pump the Panzer Division's attacks to ridiculous levels and likely start poking holes in your lines or even having your Divisions get Overrun by the Panzer's greater speed

2. I hope, I genuninely hope you have some Tanks. SOV gets a plethora of buffs for Tanks and it just feels wrong seeing a SOV without tanks

@dasaard200

It is confirmed that "disbanding divisions gives back all the manpower" per defines NMilitary.DISBAND_MANPOWER_LOSS = 0.0. However, there are two exceptions:
  1. NMilitary.ENCIRCLED_DISBAND_MANPOWER_FACTOR = 0.2 percentage of manpower returned when an encircled unit is disbanded
  2. NMilitary.NAVAL_TRANSFER_DISBAND_MANPOWER_FACTOR = 0.5 percentage of manpower returned when a naval transfering unit is disbanded
I could find nothing in the defines regarding equipment loss with respect to disbanding divisions except:
  1. NMilitary.OVERSEAS_LOSE_EQUIPMENT_FACTOR = 0.75 percentage of equipment lost disbanded overseas

Reactions:
PROBLEM : As USSR, I'm preparing for Barbarossa on 20 September'40, with 186 Grunt 1s [9/1(+arty)], and 36 Grunt 2s [9/1 (+arty, eng, AA)] ; spread out along the old Russian border and the Dnepr line ... while having 40 XXs lined up to grow to L2 {trained} .
At the moment, I'm showing a -1.15K lack of Inf Eq. [4 days worth] ... BUT I've also been setting up 10 states for Tankograd, and have filled 15 WFs of the 30 WFs required, so far, I've 31 of 40 WFs done .

So IF I chop off the most recent XX replacements [under 10% training], will the Game REFUND the excess Inf Eq. that those 'chopped' XXs would have otherwise spent ??
If it DOES, I've got a lot eager Grunt 1s to grow into Grunt 2s !!, and only 'chopping' 4 or 6 XXs to do so .
Yes; canceling training divisions refunds their equipment and manpower

@dasaard200

Ran a quick in-game test for the country Nepal (NEP). The tooltip for each mountain division revealed that each division contained 8,000 men and 560 basic infantry equipment.

The DISBAND UNITS menu box indicated that the country would gain the full manpower (16,000) and full equipment (1120) of both disbanded units. See screenshot below.

Disband_Units.png

Reactions:
I do have 12 light tanks, but my building was Infra-, CFs, throught '39; and going to WFs into '40+ ... filling out the Tankograd states with WFs [3 WFs/state], and tasking them for Inf Eq., rifles, artillery, AA, Support Eq., et al . But BUILDING these WFs takes time [150 CFs mins 57 CFs on consumer goods = 93 usable CFs], yet 40 WFs set to rifles make 327/day, artillery makes about 34 in 2 days, AA yields 30-ish in 4 days, etc.; and the other 13 Tankograd WFs are building ... while the Tankograd FOCUS wants to time out AFTER the last WF is on the ground .

I do have LOTS more WFs lined up between Dnepr and western Volga, but these are expendable due to combat .
Expensive losses [but affordable] are expected .

Happy Gnu Year '41 !! Choies to be made : Rifles 1 at 416.29/day, or Rifles 2 at a much lower rate ? Rifles 2 wins .
OTOH, the '43 Medium tank {T-44} is now being built !!, and I'll 'donate' 40 or 80 WFs to it . Tankograd 'ages out' in mid March'41 .
IF I get past winter'41, I might be in good shape .

Current stats as of 1 January'41 :
AA [12/12], 164, at12.61/day
Arty 2 [8/15], 7787, at 7.39/day
Inf Eq. [40/49], 5411, at46.29/day *Rifles 2 on 2 Jan'41*
Trucks [3/3], 7733, at 8.66/day
Sup Eq. [5/5], 1157, at 6.21/day
Lt tank [3/3], 157, at 2.61/day
Mdm tank [3/26], 0, at3.16/month *just started on T-44 ('43 Medium)*
Fighter [1/1], 96, at 3/month . *types unknown, BBA is kinda flakey*

I'm wanting to forward deploy my Grunt 2s to the old Russian border, but not to weaken my Dnepr line; I'm upgrading as fast as Logistics allows .
With 182 Grunt 1s and 70 Grunt 2s, I'll fatten Artillery with lots of WFs .

Last edited:
As earlier stated, I'm still trying to fully understand Soviet BBA; the SCW [with Recall Volunteers mod], no foreign wars until Barbarossa, just Russian internal strengths .
Just how EXPENSIVE it is to field it is for 166 Grunt 1s, 117 Grunt 2s, 12 Lt tanks, 22 Cav, 1 motorized, 13 Mtn, and 18 NKVD XXs in terms of WFs, CFs, and Infrastructure .
While I'm waiting for the Germans to DW me, most of my lower item stuff is producing 'lack-of-something' quantities, I'll happily go to CLOSED ECONOMY to get my (half)vast resources back [!!] so I can use them !!

Future needs : 1] Armored Trains, 2] LOTS of resource factories {got THAT mod, too}, and 3] More CFs to build them with .
Goals : I want to get to divisional (XX), battalion (BN), and Support (+whatever) levels on a daily basis .

Last edited:
The war started on 16 July'41 [damn], Our Rifles 2 are at 49/50 WFs, which is good, Arty 2 is still converting Arty 1s, also good, Support Eq. needs a few WFs to get further into 2 day territory [30/2 days], 5 WFs should see to that .
We've gone to CLOSED ECONOMY to recover 100+ steel, and others .
OUR GOALS : To produce stuff to fill divisional [XX], battalion [BN], and Support (+) needs on a daily basis .

Well, I'm 1 month into Barbarossa (17 August'41), and so far the Germans have done an Inf/Cav push, no sighted armor [yet] as they work through Poland; the Italians have shown 4 tanks, a bunch of Inf and Cav, plus Axis minors in Romania, and are trying to cross the river on the Russian border .

I can now see that I've 'outgrown' my Support Eq. production, being 17.47/day ... when it needs to be 30+/day, which will put it into the area of 1 BN/day ... until I need more for larger BNs . Unfortunately this will affect/ afflict/ruin my other plans for other unit numbers .
Currently We have :
151 Grunt 1s [9/0 [+arty]), and 145 Grunt 2s [9/1[+arty, eng, AA]),
245 T-44s,
26 XXs of Grunt 1s in next 120 days, plus
AA 1788 [22,77/day] BN(36)
Arty 331 [26.36/day] BN (35)
Sup. Eq. 233 [17.47/day] Sup. (30+)
Lt Tanks -326 [2.71/day] BN (60)
Mdm Tanks 245 [2.03/day] BN (50) T-44s
Trains and FTRs *flakey numbers, BBA*, trains [+20]. FTRs [113] at 1.42/week .

A big mule problem here, the Germans are still west of the old Russian border, but my Grunt 2s have taken a beating while working back to the Dnepr line .
I do NOT want to deplete the Grunt 2s ON the Dnepr line to save the Outer Defense Line's wounded units, but if I have to, I will .
Setting up an R&R Army might do the trick; "Wounded to the Rear !", may be a dicey idea, closer to the Dnepr .

Folks, I need help here; does anybody have ideas ??

Last edited:
My R&R army is open for business .

Current 20 August'41 numbers, WFs [now/goal], BNs [numbers needed/d, w, m], XX :
Grunt 1- (9/0[+arty]) 163 XX ;
Grunt 2- (9/1[+arty, eng, AA]) 153 ;
AA- 1820, 15/15, (+20), BN 30/2 days ;
Arty- -24, 20/20, (+12), BN 36/2 days ;
Inf E.- 7156, 42/50, XX 1000+? /3 days ;
Trucks- 9172, 3/3, (+24), BN 35/4 days ;
Sup.Eq.- 114, 23/25, XX 30/2 days ;*it's BBA, go figure*

We were hoping to get to a 9/2 or 9/3 (+AA, arty, eng) Grunt 3s, and 4s, but I feel that a flow of Grunt 2s could stem the wounded tide; as I start building Grunt 2s, replacing the Grunt 1s [and their 2 step lead times] .
As the Germans push to Dnepr line, I hope to not lose too many Grunt 2s ... but We'll see .

Last edited:
For @bitmode and @Corpse Fool , it isn't an AAR ... a developmental WIP; I've made serious mistakes :
1] I made too [or 3-] many Grunt 1s (see above), and now am making Grunt 3s {9/3 [+arty, eng, AA]} ;
2] For @The_Tim, the 12th light tanks XX in Europe hits the map on 31 December'41 as a L2 unit, and
3] My motorized "stilettos" (6 trucks/1 BN T-44s) come aboard as L2s in March'42 ;
4] 8 XXs were 'chopped' from Reinforcements, but I haven't gotten those artillery back ... yet ;
5] The reason that I made so many Grunt 1s before my CF run ended in early '40, when WFs took over for TANKOGRAD .
6] I'm doing a fighting retreat to the Dnepr line, trying to save what I can .

Last edited:
It has been a month and a half since Barbarossa kicked off [1 September'41], We've seen lots of Cav and Inf, but only 1 motorized XX !!
Did the Germans have an ugly time in the Balkans, We hope .

Lessons learned : 6-8 Grunt 2s per border tile could stop Axis Inf for at least a month .
Next game, as WFs begin to flow, We shoot for 36 arty/day; upgrades to Inf go much faster !

Next game, as WFs begin to flow,
not that it seems you're really asking for advice, but you should probably start making WFs much sooner. I count a few over 80 - even the USSR AI has more than that when Barb kicks off, typically. and 1 factory built 2 years ago is worth more than 2 factories built a year ago.

Reactions:
Aye, @pro.gamer.69 , I've got 116 WFs and 117 CFs plus 8 Dockyards . A few CFs and WFs came from focus builds, but most of the WFs were post '39, and more are being built .
My major goal in WFs is to get artillery up to 36/day on L2 arty, and Support Eq. up to 10 WFs during Barbarossa (now 1st September'41) .
Vast numbers of arty WILL stop Infantry, however, 27/day gets 1 BN [36]/2 days ,,, and 163 Grunt 1s to convert to Grunt 2s; that'll take 326 days, at current rate ... AND I'm building Grunt 2s as well

9 September'41, Finally some GOOD NEWS; Our outer defense line [old Russian border] has achieved a 16.4 : 1 kill ratio (3.15M : 192K = 16.5 : 1) !!, even though We've been pushed off the Romanian border, and Kiev is within 2 tiles of Axis forces .

Lost are the 2 Southwest most states, but I didn't build anything west of the Dnepr, other than original factories for Axis to grab .
East of Dnepr [Inner defense] line, a few Grunt 2s have gone west to cover Kiev; and my R&R army is 'rescuing' the wounded of my Outer lines, Minsk is not yet threatened .
I was too damn slow in pushing arty to 40+/day; to fund upgrading my Grunt 1s {I still have 140+ of these puppies} .

Well, I'm 1 month into Barbarossa (17 August'41), and so far the Germans have done an Inf/Cav push, no sighted armor [yet] as they work through Poland; the Italians have shown 4 tanks, a bunch of Inf and Cav, plus Axis minors in Romania, and are trying to cross the river on the Russian border .

I can now see that I've 'outgrown' my Support Eq. production, being 17.47/day ... when it needs to be 30+/day, which will put it into the area of 1 BN/day ... until I need more for larger BNs . Unfortunately this will affect/ afflict/ruin my other plans for other unit numbers .
Currently We have :
151 Grunt 1s [9/0 [+arty]), and 145 Grunt 2s [9/1[+arty, eng, AA]),
245 T-44s,
26 XXs of Grunt 1s in next 120 days, plus
AA 1788 [22,77/day] BN(36)
Arty 331 [26.36/day] BN (35)
Sup. Eq. 233 [17.47/day] Sup. (30+)
Lt Tanks -326 [2.71/day] BN (60)
Mdm Tanks 245 [2.03/day] BN (50) T-44s
Trains and FTRs *flakey numbers, BBA*, trains [+20]. FTRs [113] at 1.42/week .

A big mule problem here, the Germans are still west of the old Russian border, but my Grunt 2s have taken a beating while working back to the Dnepr line .
I do NOT want to deplete the Grunt 2s ON the Dnepr line to save the Outer Defense Line's wounded units, but if I have to, I will .
Setting up an R&R Army might do the trick; "Wounded to the Rear !", may be a dicey idea, closer to the Dnepr .

Folks, I need help here; does anybody have ideas ??
Something to consider if you run out of support equipment or art when at war is to design a unit twice the size that still uses the same amount of support, then you can combine two units into one of the new ones that now only require half as much support and art.

If you wonder how you do that combining so do you do it by pausing the game, swap template for the two units to the new one and then use the combine button to merge them. That will net you a new unit with the same average xp as the two old ones while refunding any extra equipment.

It's even easier if you don't lack equipment as then you can just merge any number of units and the game will spit out as many full units as possible. You need to do the above if you lack equipment or manpower (or other support slots) though as else it will only give you as many as you had equipped men for.

Reactions: