• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The defeat of the "South american fascists" will free up large amounts of troops for Europe!!!
The AI will not have even started shipping them out before the war in Europe is over.
DYAEiOu.gif

Not an update, just something I found when opening the game to check something. I remain amazed the Allies are winning the war when this is the calibre of the AI controlling them;

6qcdXEh.jpg

I know Paradox aren't very good at this sort of thing, but surely the code to send all that Super Heavy Armour and Gurkhas to the Bahamas is more work than sending them to the correct place. I just don't understand how you cock it up this badly when you have had so many patches and DLCs to fix it.

I am afraid it looks like the AI only counts units and now which tho some garrison types gets used more correctly than others. Further the theatre balance function either doesn't fire or is buggy.

Not an update, just something I found when opening the game to check something. I remain amazed the Allies are winning the war when this is the calibre of the AI controlling them;

6qcdXEh.jpg

I know Paradox aren't very good at this sort of thing, but surely the code to send all that Super Heavy Armour and Gurkhas to the Bahamas is more work than sending them to the correct place. I just don't understand how you cock it up this badly when you have had so many patches and DLCs to fix it.
I am afraid it looks like the AI only counts units and now which tho some garrison types gets used more correctly than others. Further the theatre balance function either doesn't fire or is buggy.
There was some testing done in the HPP forums a while back which concluded that the AI is hard-coded to tend to use GAR divisions (or, well, divisions with GAR brigades in them, one should specify) to, well, garrison places. The problem being that the AI rarely has enough GAR divisions relative to how many places it thinks it needs to garrison (which the UK in particular certainly has no shortage of ideas about...), and the other problem being that the AI only tends to do such things and still frequently commits acts of utter nonsense with GAR regardless.

And certainly, none of this explains why the AI would consider the Bahamas to need five divisions of any sort for defense, and my best guess is that it has something to do with the whole Ecuador/Peru kerfluffle, which likely triggered one of the many instabilities in the theater "balance" calculations which are of course bordering on useless. Notably, the AI is either unable or greatly struggles to reassign units from one theater to another as the threat balance changes, so my guess is that these units were slated to eventually find their way (...how? Don't ask me! :p) to South America, and either were intending to use the Bahamas as a staging area and/or got plunked down there in the absence of any enemies to fight in-theater, yet unable to be reassigned out-of-theater...

Phenomena of this type are well-studied by the tireless modders who continue searching for some way, any way at all, to make Japan's AI play the game properly after 1938. :p

Phenomena of this type are well-studied by the tireless modders who continue searching for some way, any way at all, to make Japan's AI play the game properly after 1938. :p

Or of the United States to conduct any offensive operation.

Reactions:
There was some testing done in the HPP forums a while back which concluded that the AI is hard-coded to tend to use GAR divisions (or, well, divisions with GAR brigades in them, one should specify) to, well, garrison places. The problem being that the AI rarely has enough GAR divisions relative to how many places it thinks it needs to garrison (which the UK in particular certainly has no shortage of ideas about...), and the other problem being that the AI only tends to do such things and still frequently commits acts of utter nonsense with GAR regardless.

And certainly, none of this explains why the AI would consider the Bahamas to need five divisions of any sort for defense, and my best guess is that it has something to do with the whole Ecuador/Peru kerfluffle, which likely triggered one of the many instabilities in the theater "balance" calculations which are of course bordering on useless. Notably, the AI is either unable or greatly struggles to reassign units from one theater to another as the threat balance changes, so my guess is that these units were slated to eventually find their way (...how? Don't ask me! :p) to South America, and either were intending to use the Bahamas as a staging area and/or got plunked down there in the absence of any enemies to fight in-theater, yet unable to be reassigned out-of-theater...
Excellent explanations, thank you both for that. But mostly @nuclearslurpee who would earn a Slovak Medal for this if he (?) hadn't already done so.

I suppose we could start adding accessories to the Hip Flask, in the same way you could get Oak Leaves or Diamond Swords on the Iron Cross. The Collapsible Shot Cups to the Golden Hip Flask. That does sound the kind of thing Tiso would award someone, so it is your should you wish it.

Or of the United States to conduct any offensive operation.
Both tasks worthy of a modern Sisyphus.

And on that classical note let us return to... Berlin.

26th March 1945
26th March 1945.

It's Monday morning in Berlin, so the Slovak Government in exile is gathering for their weekly cabinet meeting in what nobody is calling 'The Vodca Bunker'. Which is a shame because it is a name that works on at least two levels.

"Before we begin I must protest, some of this news is several days old." General Kubela objected.

"Are Lendvay's Hranicni Oblast anywhere near ready?" Tiso asked.

"We do lack the manpower to reinforce them." Kubela admitted.

"Or the industry to resupply them." Malar added.

"Or the resources to fuel the industry we no longer have." Pruzinksy joined in.

"So could we have done anything about this news?" Tiso asked.

"Well no." Kubela grudgingly agreed.

"In which case, why rush?" Tiso said decisively and rhetorically. But mostly finally.

Kubela moved onto the first item with bad grace.

"The British have landed in Norway. Under the guns of the battleship HMS Jellicoe they have landed a division in Bergen." He said

NTltJZn.jpg

King Haakon VII would have stormed ashore and dramatically stated that he had returned. But he realised only an utterly inept and PR obsessed idiot would do something so egotistically stupid, probably while smoking a weird pipe. So he let the professionals do their jobs while he stayed in London enjoying a nice smoked herring and winding up Nygaardsvold.

"Seems a strange priority." Tuka observed.

"Perhaps they just want a nice long weekend in the Fjords?" Pruzinsky suggested.

"What's next?" Tiso asked, before things got completely derailed.

"Excellent news for the forces in the Alsace-Lorraine Pocket." Baron Von Killinger said.

"They might have a chance to escape?" Malar asked.

Tiso sighed as awaited the inevitable.

"No! They have a chance to die heroically needless deaths for the Fuhrer as they are now completely encircled." Von Killinger explained.

vKl22AT.jpg

The Allies are avoiding liberating Luxembourg, because you would wouldn't you? Elsewhere the West Wall is mainly being attacked from the East, so the Allies at least have the benefit of surprise. And air support. And reserves of manpower. And a functioning industrial base. Basically they have every advantage and no excuse at this point.

"Are we still secure in Berlin?" Tuka asked.

"No." Kubela said.

"But we never were." Malar added reassuringly.

tZ2oDSa.jpg

The First Canadian Infantry are driving towards Berlin as the various German Panzer and Fallschirmjäger forces decide to tactically redeploy to somewhere else. Still that is a big thick stack in Berlin, that must count for something? Right?

If that didn't merit a drink, then nothing did Tiso decided.

/Glug, Glug, Glug/

--
Notes:
Not much to say, the war continues to develop not to Slovakia's advantage. But at least Tiso has been spared the horror of regular cabinet meetings.

Britain did build HMS Jellicoe which is interesting to see. It reached that name after building the entire Lion class so the Royal Navy's battle line (and shore bombardment) is mighty, they also have the Malta class Ark Royal so have an eye on carrier aviation as well. Almost, but not really, makes up for their habit of dumping super heavy tanks into small West Indies islands.

• 2Like
Reactions:
How damaged are all those panzers? Is it like

The first Panzer arme has one Panzer Korps therefore its a Panzer army, the Panzer korps has a Panzer division, which has a Panzer battalion ... which has 1 Panzer I.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well on the bright side the british commonwealth has a humongous navy and armed forces ttl. And seem to have taken back europe by themselves since the Americans were very busy in the south. No Russians in europe is also a bonus for postwar.

That is quite a bit of Fallschirmjager... Will the Canadians apologize and ask that they vamoose from the area?

Re the earlier Bahamian holiday for the SHArm: priceless. To have gone to the great trouble of researching them, then the even greater expense of producing them, and the even more remarkable feat of deploying three divisions with (if not of) them in time for use against the Germans ... and then sending them there? 11/10! :D
in what nobody is calling 'The Vodca Bunker'.
Well, you have anyway. ;)

"They might have a chance to escape?" Malar asked.

Tiso sighed as awaited the inevitable.
Malar walked into that one all right. Valiantly saving T or T from striding confidently into the usual trap.

Still that is a big thick stack in Berlin, that must count for something? Right?
Is it a great big stack of HQs? Time to get the a) escape plan, or b) cyanide and Gerry cans of fuel ready.

The Collapsible Shot Cups to the Golden Hip Flask. That does sound the kind of thing Tiso would award someone, so it is your should you wish it.
Glug glug glug I shall certainly wish it so. In lieu of the thanks of a grateful nation, I suppose T&T can be comforted with the thanks of a grateful drunkard who spends entirely too much time poring over mystifying artifacts he refers to only as "game files" in his lunatic ravings. :D

"The British have landed in Norway. Under the guns of the battleship HMS Jellicoe they have landed a division in Bergen."
Britain did build HMS Jellicoe which is interesting to see. It reached that name after building the entire Lion class so the Royal Navy's battle line (and shore bombardment) is mighty, they also have the Malta class Ark Royal so have an eye on carrier aviation as well. Almost, but not really, makes up for their habit of dumping super heavy tanks into small West Indies islands.
I'll admit some confusion here, mainly as to how the British AI has built out the entire run of Lion-class BBs in what, so far as I can tell, is a mere not-quite-ten months of gameplay. This bears investigation...

...well, for once I'm drawing a complete blank. I only have access to FTM and TFH versions of the game files here which do not have that name, so my best guess is that the HMS Anson was originally named by Paradox as Jellicoe which it was at one point supposed to be called, but was fixed in FTM. THe only other possibility is that Britain can somehow build a battleship in nine months which I find preposterous even by Paradox standards.

glug glug glug :p

The Allies are avoiding liberating Luxembourg, because you would wouldn't you? Elsewhere the West Wall is mainly being attacked from the East, so the Allies at least have the benefit of surprise. And air support. And reserves of manpower. And a functioning industrial base. Basically they have every advantage and no excuse at this point.
I do so look forward to hearing the inevitable excuse... :rolleyes:

Berlin will never fall. The under-strength Slovak Militia Division will make sure of it!

Yeah but Luxembourg is just terrible. The national motto is literally 'we want to remain what we are'. Plus if luxemburg doesn't get reclaimed there will never be any mediation between Germany and france and the EU shall never form.

And that was why...um...the empire...something...don't cha know?

I'll admit some confusion here, mainly as to how the British AI has built out the entire run of Lion-class BBs in what, so far as I can tell, is a mere not-quite-ten months of gameplay. This bears investigation...

...well, for once I'm drawing a complete blank. I only have access to FTM and TFH versions of the game files here which do not have that name, so my best guess is that the HMS Anson was originally named by Paradox as Jellicoe which it was at one point supposed to be called, but was fixed in FTM. THe only other possibility is that Britain can somehow build a battleship in nine months which I find preposterous even by Paradox standards.

Looking at my default files, Jellicoe is the eleventh battleship name in TFH (and default) common United Kingdom files. So not only has the UK in TTL built all five Lions, they also built Vanguard. They've also built at least eleven carriers, as that name is Malta.

That said, it could be that the default 1944 start has already had all of the KGV battleships deployed, and four of the Lions in the queue... perhaps.

Looking at my default files, Jellicoe is the eleventh battleship name in TFH (and default) common United Kingdom files. So not only has the UK in TTL built all five Lions, they also built Vanguard. They've also built at least eleven carriers, as that name is Malta.

That said, it could be that the default 1944 start has already had all of the KGV battleships deployed, and four of the Lions in the queue... perhaps.
If the UK had their entire run of Lions and Vanguards in the queue at the start of the game (or, even worse, deployed!), this was changed in FTM as I can look into the FTM files and know for sure but I don't have the original or SF files, though I may be persuaded to mess around with the DLCs on Steam just to look at them.

Noting that HoI3 has an issue where the "queue" of ship names often leaps over one or several ship names, it's certainly possible that the British haven't built as many BBs and CVs as it seems, however this leaves us with the "you built an entire capital ship from scratch how quickly???" conundrum...

ADD-ON: From the start of the AAR to the most recent update has been, according to Google, 279 days. In the game files, the build time for a BB is 585 days and for a CV is 500 days, which is true for FTM and TFH but I don't see why SF would be much different. To build a BB in 279 days thus requires a build time reduction of some 52.3%. If (and this is a big if, since the AI is I believe forced to take the "best" law available) the AI is running Minimal Training (-10% build time, which I think applies to naval units) and Heavy Industry Emphasis (+5% IC-eff, this one should be run for sure though) with Industrial Efficiency up to level 8 (1944 level, +20% IC-eff)...if all of these things are true, that's a -35% to the build time meaning we need another ~18% reduction from practicals, which is achievable if the Brits maintain an average Capital Ship practical of just about 18 from the start of the scenario until now (the fact that this matches the percentage is coincidental), which given the build time for capital ships probably means they load into the scenario with a practical of about 20 which then decays over time. On the other hand if the AI is running even Basic Training the needed practicals jumps to a horrendous ~36 average (probably requiring ~40 at the scenario beginning) and this only gets worse if the AI has even better training laws. From what I can see in the game files, the UK starts with Advanced Training as their law which...yeah, the practical requirement given this is too nightmarish for even me to think about. :eek:

However, it is at least theoretically possible for the UK to have put a BB into the queue and built it from scratch by this date in the scenario, but this would rely on either (1) the AI swapping its training law down to Minimal which I don't think it's allowed to do, or more likely (2) some combination of hefty +IC-eff and/or -build time modifiers from strategic effects, which I'd have to actually load up vanilla (ew) and the 1944 scenario (eeeww!) to check (and check the practical levels while I'm at it). I just might be crazy enough to do this, given sufficient motivation.

Last edited:
How damaged are all those panzers? Is it like

The first Panzer arme has one Panzer Korps therefore its a Panzer army, the Panzer korps has a Panzer division, which has a Panzer battalion ... which has 1 Panzer I.
That is about the state of it. Germany has run out of manpower and those are the remains of shattered divisions, even having single Panzer I would be an improvement.

The Allies are clearly trying to spite Luxembourg by liberating Norway first.
It's what I would do in their shoes.

Well on the bright side the british commonwealth has a humongous navy and armed forces ttl. And seem to have taken back europe by themselves since the Americans were very busy in the south. No Russians in europe is also a bonus for postwar.
There are quite a few American divisions running around Europe, it's just they are all wearing British hats. It's also no Russians in Western Europe, South Eastern Europe (bar Greece) is looking quite Red.

That is quite a bit of Fallschirmjager... Will the Canadians apologize and ask that they vamoose from the area?
I imagine so. And if the Germans refuse to move the Canadians will show why they had such a fearsome reputation as hard fighters. ;)

Re the earlier Bahamian holiday for the SHArm: priceless. To have gone to the great trouble of researching them, then the even greater expense of producing them, and the even more remarkable feat of deploying three divisions with (if not of) them in time for use against the Germans ... and then sending them there? 11/10! :D
A Swedish triumph.
DYAEiOu.gif

Is it a great big stack of HQs? Time to get the a) escape plan, or b) cyanide and Gerry cans of fuel ready.
It's not just HQ's stacked up in Berlin, many impressive names will be involved in the Final Battle of Berlin.

Glug glug glug I shall certainly wish it so. In lieu of the thanks of a grateful nation, I suppose T&T can be comforted with the thanks of a grateful drunkard who spends entirely too much time poring over mystifying artifacts he refers to only as "game files" in his lunatic ravings. :D
That's the spirit. Literally. :D

I do so look forward to hearing the inevitable excuse... :rolleyes:
The post-war memoirs from the Operation Overlord commanders will be hilarious as they try to explain how they achieved so little and spent so long bogged down in France. While those who replaced them in Italy will modestly explain how they smashed through North Italy, the Alps and reached Berlin before the Overlord forces had even taken all of France.

Berlin will never fall. The under-strength Slovak Militia Division will make sure of it!
That is the kind of delusional thinking that the Slovak General Staff want to encourage. It will buy them time to think of ways to escape! ;)

Yeah but Luxembourg is just terrible. The national motto is literally 'we want to remain what we are'. Plus if luxemburg doesn't get reclaimed there will never be any mediation between Germany and france and the EU shall never form.

And that was why...um...the empire...something...don't cha know?
It's not all bad. Luxembourg did declare plywood illegal in 1820 after the Great Royal Palace collapse disaster. (This 'fact' brought to you by King Haakon VII and is up to 100% true)

If the UK had their entire run of Lions and Vanguards in the queue at the start of the game (or, even worse, deployed!), this was changed in FTM as I can look into the FTM files and know for sure but I don't have the original or SF files, though I may be persuaded to mess around with the DLCs on Steam just to look at them.

Noting that HoI3 has an issue where the "queue" of ship names often leaps over one or several ship names, it's certainly possible that the British haven't built as many BBs and CVs as it seems, however this leaves us with the "you built an entire capital ship from scratch how quickly???" conundrum...

ADD-ON: From the start of the AAR to the most recent update has been, according to Google, 279 days. In the game files, the build time for a BB is 585 days and for a CV is 500 days, which is true for FTM and TFH but I don't see why SF would be much different. To build a BB in 279 days thus requires a build time reduction of some 52.3%. If (and this is a big if, since the AI is I believe forced to take the "best" law available) the AI is running Minimal Training (-10% build time, which I think applies to naval units) and Heavy Industry Emphasis (+5% IC-eff, this one should be run for sure though) with Industrial Efficiency up to level 8 (1944 level, +20% IC-eff)...if all of these things are true, that's a -35% to the build time meaning we need another ~18% reduction from practicals, which is achievable if the Brits maintain an average Capital Ship practical of just about 18 from the start of the scenario until now (the fact that this matches the percentage is coincidental), which given the build time for capital ships probably means they load into the scenario with a practical of about 20 which then decays over time. On the other hand if the AI is running even Basic Training the needed practicals jumps to a horrendous ~36 average (probably requiring ~40 at the scenario beginning) and this only gets worse if the AI has even better training laws. From what I can see in the game files, the UK starts with Advanced Training as their law which...yeah, the practical requirement given this is too nightmarish for even me to think about. :eek:

However, it is at least theoretically possible for the UK to have put a BB into the queue and built it from scratch by this date in the scenario, but this would rely on either (1) the AI swapping its training law down to Minimal which I don't think it's allowed to do, or more likely (2) some combination of hefty +IC-eff and/or -build time modifiers from strategic effects, which I'd have to actually load up vanilla (ew) and the 1944 scenario (eeeww!) to check (and check the practical levels while I'm at it). I just might be crazy enough to do this, given sufficient motivation.
Ps: can’t @El Pip just tag over to the UK and what’s there? :confused:

Royal Navy building confession. I've had a look at the game files and right now (i.e. end of the game) Britain will take 15months to build a Battleship (got a 53.2% reduction in time due to Cap Ship practical of 31 and has Heavy Industry Emphasis, but is running Advanced Training). So not possible now.

But at the start of the 1944 Scenario... It's even worse. 2.5 Cap Ship practical so 26 months to build a battleship.

Why do I say confession? Well in the 1944 scenario Paradox have decided the Royal Navy is only able to build Nelson class battleships, looks like a direct copy from the 1936 tech tree. It's not a uniform screw-over, for instance the RN can build Malta-class carriers (and the first one is Ark Royal ). Though it is still a Brit screw as Vanguard, the two Audacious carriers and none of the Colossus class light carriers are even in the build queue and the country lacks the jet engine tech and many others, because Paradox are lazy idiots. And that description may be too kind;

CGs0Yf2.jpg

The Gloster Meteor had no Jet Engine apparently.

So my best guess is past-Pip, back in 2011 when he was fixing the D-Day invasions bugs, may have noticed that, got a bit annoyed and then... helped... the Royal Navy along a bit when he was editing the save file. And then made no note of those changes and obscured his memory of ever doing so with whisky.

• 1Haha
Reactions: