• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Had Slovakia got 1914 level inf divs, I would had love to see Pip exploding as he did in another AAR :D

Does Slovakia have any spies in countries where they have invented breach loaders?
It probably does. The question is would you trust those spies to bring back any useful information?

The Germans probably have a couple of Czech guys build the guns in a cave somewhere, just enough to make up the losses.
Another option is that the Germans send the Slovak Division German guns with the name rubbed out and " 37mm PUV vz. 37 " written on in crayon, it's not as if the Slovak's will be able to tell the difference...
I'm thinking that tech tree implies that all the relevant technology, and almost all of the factories are in the Czech region, (spits on the floor) leaving Slovakia with nothing... pretty cynical of the Germans if you ask me...
The factory distribution was pretty cynical of the *spit* Czechs, who put all the good stuff in their part of the country and then were surprised the Slovaks objected.

I think your second option makes most sense, I can imagine the Germans just sending random guns they don't want to Slovakia and calling them "37mm PUV vz.37". Cheaper than scrapping them and as you say the Slovak Army will never tell the difference.

*flip* *glug glug glug* *lapses into happily drunken torpor* :):confused::rolleyes:
It's the only way to cope with Slovakia's fate.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

If I recall correctly from my dabbling about with modding, HoI3 has some sort of automagic hardcoded way of determining (usually against the wishes of the modder) the starting technologies for a country based on their theory and practical levels along with some other arcane variables. I actually poked around a little bit to see if this might explain the Slovakian tech situation, and as we've all come to expect the reality is even worse. Let's run through the list, shall we?
  • First of all - yes, the Paradox dev in charge of Slovakia's tech levels did mostly rely on the automagic algorithm to do the work, and only set theory and practical levels rather than actual techs. I wanted to get the obvious out of the way first. There are a few techs that were set manually, which I'll get to in a moment.
  • Slovakia's history files actually do not include any entry for 1944. For those unfamiliar with the history files, Paradox does not write a whole set of separate files for each start date. Instead, there are history files which tell the game that at such-and-such date, so-and-so country has this-and-that theory, practical, techs, OOB, leaders, and so on. These data are cumulative - so if Slovakia has an entry for 1940 that sets a bunch of theory and practical levels, and then another entry for 22 June 1941 which sets a few other tech levels, then starting at that 1941 date will include all of the theory and practical levels of the 1940 entry as well.
  • This means that the Slovakia starting conditions in 1944 are actually a hodgepodge of the conditions from 1940, 1941, and 1943 starts. Notably, this means that Slovakia starts with the 1943 OOB, which I'm sure is historically accurate as Slovakia lacked the necessary technology to develop infantry divisions capable of moving from one location to another over the course of a year. As shown by this AAR, at least.
  • Slovakian theory and practical levels are the same as the 1940 scenario. Interestingly, the levels are exactly the same as the 1939 scenario, which means that some Paradox scenario writer copy-pasted from the 1939 date needlessly (since the 1940 start would have just used the 1939 levels anyways)
  • The starting Militia technologies for Slovakia are apparently set by the theory/practical values, as Slovakia's only theory and practical levels above 2.5 are the Militia theory and practical. Aside from the militia techs and those set in the history file, Slovakia has no other techs researched, presumably because the other theory and practical levels are all, generously speaking, pathetic. See Figure 1 below.
  • The tech level for doctrines affecting Infantry (see Figure 2 slightly further below) are set by the 1940 and 1941 history data. Among other things, this implies that Slovakia failed to learn anything from their military experiences in a solid three years of combat (on a side note, Slovakia in the June 1941 start has two infantry brigades, a number which has ballooned to six by the December 1941 start date, implying that the Slovakians somehow discovered the technology to build Infantry brigades sometime after June 1941, and then promptly forgot this knowledge in less than six months). You'd think with 4.68 leadership, the Slovakian bigwigs could at least figure out how to train soldiers to point their guns in the right direction, and then remember how this works, but apparently not.
  • The doctrine techs affecting tanks are set in the 1943 history entry, which offers a slightly plausible reason for why Slovakia possesses tank doctrines - clearly, the 1943 scenario writer made the not-unreasonable guess that Slovakia would have learned these from their German masters over the course of the war, and just kind of assumed that the guys in charge of the previous start dates had done their jobs to an acceptable standard and provided Slovakia with at least a vague inkling that tanks existed.
  • I feel obligated to remind the reader that, yes, there is no 1944 history entry for Slovakia, and instead is left to deal with a hodgepodge of starting conditions cobbled together from three starting dates separated by the space of three years. Including their OOB, which explains why earlier in this AAR we discovered a duplicate Slovakian division under German command.
I hope this serves as a worthy entry into this anthology of Paradox laziness, because it was really quite amusing to trace this out.

Appendix

UohfRVJ.png

Figure 1: Slovakian militia technologies, theory, and practical for the 1944 start date.

51SVJNu.png

Figure 2: Slovakian land doctrines for the 1944 start date, featuring Blitzkrieg and Mechanised Offensive.
That is an epic piece of research and I thank you most sincerely for it, I have even given it a Threadmark that it may be commemorated.

Slovakia did not do great medals, they had such delights as;
1. The War Victory Cross - Which maybe made sense when it was minted in 1940, but at this point is a bit mocking. Did come in at least seven (7!!) grades so at least you would know where you stood.
2. Special Grade of the Order of Prince Pribina - A medal named after a 9th Century Slovak Prince and possibly a bit elaborate, but then it was mostly given to Axis Kings. And Von Ribbentrop for some reason.
3. The Medal Commemorating the Failure to defend the country against Hungary in Spring 1939.

There I do award you the Golden Hip-flask (1st Class), for services to Tiso, Tuka and Slovakia in helping to explain quite how they got into this mess.

You’ve gone to some effort there - bravo. So we assume they thought either no-one was likely to play Slovakia in 1944 or, if they did, it just wouldn’t be worth the effort to do it right. Little did they know El Pip would turn it into a life’s work! :D :D :oops:
I may be the first, and the last, to ever start as Slovakia in 1944 and then actually play it rather than quit in disgust and/or boredom.

Only one life? A bit optimistic on the timeline there, methinks! :p
Now, now. Keep that up and I'll demote your medal down a class. If you were talking about Butterfly I would sagely nod in agreement, but T&T will definitely be finished before HOI 5 is out. Almost certainly. Probably.

EDIT:
Missed out Kurtie somehow.

Had Slovakia got 1914 level inf divs, I would had love to see Pip exploding as he did in another AAR :D
If Paradox had done that then Sweden would have had to pay. Again. But even more so.

Last edited:
That is an epic piece of research and I thank you most sincerely for it, I have even given it a Threadmark that it may be commemorated.

Slovakia did not do great medals, they had such delights as;
1. The War Victory Cross - Which maybe made sense when it was minted in 1940, but at this point is a bit mocking. Did come in at least seven (7!!) grades so at least you would know where you stood.
2. Special Grade of the Order of Prince Pribina - A medal named after a 9th Century Slovak Prince and possibly a bit elaborate, but then it was mostly given to Axis Kings. And Von Ribbentrop for some reason.
3. The Medal Commemorating the Failure to defend the country against Hungary in Spring 1939.

There I do award you the Golden Hip-flask (1st Class), for services to Tiso, Tuka and Slovakia in helping to explain quite how they got into this mess.

Now, now. Keep that up and I'll demote your medal down a class. If you were talking about Butterfly I would sagely nod in agreement, but T&T will definitely be finished before HOI 5 is out. Almost certainly. Probably.

That is certainly a high honor, and one I shall certainly bear proudly! Or, more accurately, one I shall bear with slightly less shame than a recipient of a Slovakian medal would otherwise bear. :p

That is certainly a high honor, and one I shall certainly bear proudly! Or, more accurately, one I shall bear with slightly less shame than a recipient of a Slovakian medal would otherwise bear. :p
That's the spirit!

I was going to do an El Pip voting opportunity on what Tech Slovakia should do next, but even the quickest ones (just continuing on the militia weapons tree) will take till April 1945 to complete, the rest are far later. April 1945 was when Bratislava was occupied by the Red Army in OTL so it's not impossible Slovakia will last that long in the game, but looking at the map I seriously doubt it.

So, unless the readers do have a burning desire to vote on which techs Slovakia will fail to finish researching before being annexed, we will gloss over the issue and return to your regular, badly-scheduled, updates.

Put all leadership into spies and target the easiest major power (France?) for easy tech, chance of getting anything is proportional to the amount of tech the target has more than you.

Given both voting and technical advancement are anathema to all things Slovakian in the AAR, I think T&T should just decide themselves. However, if I was offering the Vodca some advice (instead of Vodka for the hip-flask) I’d suggest researching metal production: completely futile and unnecessary. Just make an even bigger stockpile. Perhaps they could hide in it when the Russkies come!

Put all leadership into spies and target the easiest major power (France?) for easy tech, chance of getting anything is proportional to the amount of tech the target has more than you.
I must admit I never much bothered with stealing tech as I never seemed to get anything, this would explain why. A tempting option for some Slovakian espionage hijinks,

Given both voting and technical advancement are anathema to all things Slovakian in the AAR, I think T&T should just decide themselves. However, if I was offering the Vodca some advice (instead of Vodka for the hip-flask) I’d suggest researching metal production: completely futile and unnecessary. Just make an even bigger stockpile. Perhaps they could hide in it when the Russkies come!
But then this does seem very Slovakian as well. But which would be the best option? There is only one way to find out; fight a poll. Because while democracy is indeed an anathema to T&T, pointless votes on things that will make no difference are fine. ;)

El Pip Voting Opportunity
After mature consideration the time is indeed ripe for another El Pip AAR vote, so we will once again be exercising the mild interactive licence that this thread acquired way back in the frozen to death. Slovakia faces a choice, how best to employ it's limited leadership.

A. Tech Espionage. Unleash Von Killinger and the Slovak Overseas Department of Spying on an unsuspecting nation (probably France)
ii. Doomed rationality. IC efficiency tech and coal mining. Would provide a handy boost to production for whoever annexes Slovakia.
3. Insane dreams. Sack Pruzinksy, hire Teplansky and research nukes and jets
IV. The Slovak Option. Oil extraction and metal techs. Because Slovakia has too much metal and no oil reserves.
0101. Tanks. As required by El Pip custom and tradition.

Florida rules, so vote early, vote often, but only once a day. Polls will remain open for as long as is required.

Definitely 0101: tanks! Pointless as they don't have any and could afford to build any. And would technically use lots of metal. It also offers the possibility for the order of 'tank' research to be misinterpreted as an ordinary tank (for water, vodka, etc) by Slovak researchers who have never heard of the military version.

ii. Doomed rationality. IC efficiency tech and coal mining. Would provide a handy boost to production for whoever annexes Slovakia.

Since the idea there is to win by any means possible, what you'd actually do in this situation is cheat, mod them game or tag to the US and give Slovakia everything after winning the war for them.

3. Insane dreams. Sack Pruzinksy, hire Teplansky and research nukes and jets

Hmm, do they know what any of those words mean? Except, perhaps, insane?

0101. Tanks. As required by El Pip custom and tradition.

Water tanks would be an improvement for stone age dwellers yes. Or any tanks would be useful really. It would be funny for Slovakia to research and get on the tank bandwagon just as the tank loses much of its importance and prestige in the militaries of Europe.

I vote spies. Let's see what's going on everywhere else (if nothing else, it should provide some welcome distractions and prove once and for all that ignorance and stupidity can and will affect anyone with ludicrous amounts of military power.

I am proud to cast my vote for tanks!! With a medal winner stumping for them on the campaign trail, tanks will certainly prevail in this election! :p

I vote A, spies, considering the stone age level of Slovak technology, the chances of getting something interesting are actually pretty good, and who doesn't like to play the lottery once in a while...

I vote A, spies, considering the stone age level of Slovak technology, the chances of getting something interesting are actually pretty good, and who doesn't like to play the lottery once in a while...

I'm getting an Early Man vibe from this. Lots of potential for comedy by Stone Age men robbing slightly more advanced French people.

I have the feeling that A has the most potential for this AAR, considering the gap of technological advancement between Slovakia and pretty much anyone else.

I have the feeling that A has the most potential for this AAR, considering the gap of technological advancement between Slovakia and pretty much anyone else.

And it has a certain Slovak feeling, as what you can get is things like Carrier Armour, Paratroop techs and occasionally the useful tech, like mil tech 2.