• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Ahh, my dear Marshall." Stalin called, starting to refill his pipe "I was just discussing the progress of the Northern Front with it's late commander." He gestured at the departing corpse.

"Not quite. There is one force left." Kuznetsov gulped and called to the doorman. In response to the summons a British Officer walked into the meeting room.

"In the name of Lenin's Beard! Who the hell was that?" Stalin dropped his pipe in shock.

For HQ attention. We have abandoned all logic and reasoning some time ago and are proceeding with caution. Should be in Miami Vice by Christmas.

Excellent news for the soviets. Once the requested marines arrive they will slam into pommmerania and outflank the entire heeresgruppe nord. But i have no doubt the mighty slovak army will stop the ukranian front dead in its tracks soon
That might happen in a normal AAR. But here, I fully expect any future Soviet Marines to be leant to El Salvador as an Expeditionary Force and then used to garrison Madagascar.

The end is neigh, for Finland at least, the Mongols are comming.
Well done sir, excellent word play.
H0LmDWJ.gif

*Nods head*

Yep, that all makes complete sense
I see you've played HOI3 before.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Oh, that situation was indeed a great gift. Liked the touch with the Fuhrer. The brief moment of worrying and disconcerting calm before the Downfall outburst, then the relief of the German generals was an amusing touch. Top hole, even! Pip-Pip (so to speak ;) )
I was going for a simple Downfall rant, then thought I'd put a little twist on it. Glad you liked it. :)

Leningrad part 2, electric bogaloo. This time with more parachutes.
Also less cannibalism. One of the few sequels that will be better than the original.

The Russian surname Kuznetsov is the equivalent of the English Smith so there are many Kuznetsovs running around the Eastern Front.

Also “pig dogs” was the traditional insult of the Chinese Communist Party. The Russian Communists preferred Capitalist lackeys. It is important to maintain doctrinal purity in your insults.

Finally, the paras appear to have slightly overshot the LZ. Are those brigades being commanded by Capts Philby, Maclean & Burgess, maybe?
Admiral Kuznetsov was on the OTL STAVKA so the potential for confusion remains. For instance if Stalin decides he wants Kuznetsov purged, who do the NKVD kill? (Bad example, they kill both of them and anyone nearby, but the point still stands)

I am glad you noticed the effect of the shock on Stalin, so severe he failed to maintain insult purity. ( ;) )

Not quite a brilliant move by the AI, more like a "special" one.
It was very special and an move I could not ignore.

For HQ attention. We have abandoned all logic and reasoning some time ago and are proceeding with caution. Should be in Miami Vice by Christmas.
A wise warning, because that little episode wasn't actually the weirdest thing I encountered on the Eastern Front in this game. More on that in future updates though.

A wise warning, because that little episode wasn't actually the weirdest thing I encountered on the Eastern Front in this game. More on that in future updates though.
Well I guess the Germans could always try a dash to Moscow
I'm sure El Pip meant a real Slovak victory :)

Anything is possible of course...

But we really are in the land of elves and fairies should such a travesty occur.

A real Slovak victory would be something like finally discovering the mysterious technology of Steam Power. And then realising they had no coal to fire it. Then having some long dead (but not in this scenario due to poor Paradox research) poet/carpet bombing enthusiast write a Social Realist poem about the tragic irony, and how it was the fault of the existential dichotomy of the something or other *mumble mumble*! *pop, glug-glug* :D

Well I guess the Germans could always try a dash to Moscow
I'm sure Hitler would agree with this plan, but it's not that. The madness occurs further to the South.

That is always unexpected, but not unprecedented.

Anything is possible of course...

But we really are in the land of elves and fairies should such a travesty occur.
There is something quite un-T&T about a victory isn't there?

A real Slovak victory would be something like finally discovering the mysterious technology of Steam Power. And then realising they had no coal to fire it. Then having some long dead (but not in this scenario due to poor Paradox research) poet/carpet bombing enthusiast write a Social Realist poem about the tragic irony, and how it was the fault of the existential dichotomy of the something or other *mumble mumble*! *pop, glug-glug* :D
Well that's the plot of the next update ruined. ( :D ;) )

I'm sure Hitler would agree with this plan,

Moscow? He didn't seem that fussed otl. He wanted oil, not their snowy city. The morale loss, disorganization and the capture of the russian rail nerve centre would have been good i guess but i doubt it would end a war with russia. It didn't in the past.

There is something quite un-T&T about a victory isn't there?

See title.

Moscow? He didn't seem that fussed otl. He wanted oil, not their snowy city. The morale loss, disorganization and the capture of the russian rail nerve centre would have been good i guess but i doubt it would end a war with russia. It didn't in the past.
1941 Hitler was really quite keen on taking Moscow. It was only after that plan failed and he realised it was going to be a long war that he developed his oil obsession, even then he got distracted by the symbolism of attacking another snowy city, but in that case it was Stalingrad.

Drinking. I'll drink to that *pop, glug-glug*
It is the Slovak way.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

4th December 1944
4th December 1944

It's Monday morning and Tiso and Tuka have gathered together the Slovak government for a cabinet meeting. Having had a peaceful weekend with not a single emergency messenger, Tiso made the mistake of hoping it would be a quiet meeting. Because, like anyone expose to the Slovak lack-of-education system, he never learnt.

"Let's begin with the easy part, Foreign Affairs." Tiso started the meeting.

"Excellent, it has been a very busy weekend and there is much to discuss." Acting-Deputy-Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs Durcansky beamed.

"We had no messenger!" Tuka yelled, causing Durcansky to very briefly envy his locked-up boss. But only briefy.

"This is most serious, why were we not informed?" Tiso asked.

"If messengers disturb your weekend with news you don't like, you send them to the pencil studded snake pit." Justice Minister Fritz gently explained.

Tiso nodded.

"So all the messengers refused to bring you messages at weekends or outside normal hours." Fritz went on.

"And I had them sent to duel to the death with pencils in the snake pit." Tiso finished the sentence.

"Yes. Yes you did" Fritz agreed.

There was a long pause and then realisation dawned on Tiso's face.

"So there's no-one left to deliver messages."

Fritz and the assembled ministers nodded. Except Durcansky, who was still struggling to work out what was going on, and Pruzinksy, who remained unclear as to why they couldn't just use orphaned urchins as messengers.

"We'd better get them out then." Tuka suggested

"If any survived." Tiso agreed, gesturing at a flunky to go release the messengers. "So what news did we miss?"

"North America is in turmoil!" Durcansky exclaimed, handing out messages.

nzRXSG1.jpg

This appears to show the Canadian government increasing it's efforts to leak. This is unlikely to help anyone, least of all Slovakia.

5Syyutq.jpg

This seems a fairly sensible plan from Mexico. "Don't just do something, stand there." remains solid advice for many political situations.

Tiso sighed and nodded at Tuka, who promptly began loudly explaining to Durcansky why none of that news mattered.

A mildly deaf Durcansky protested he did have some important news

"The US has suffered a massive naval defeat!"

ZkUfrza.jpg

This does not appear to show a defeat.

Tuka took a breath to begin very loudly explaining the difference between victory and defeat, but was cut off by Durcansky.

"The Battle of Empress Augusta bay occurred in November 1943 and was a minor US victory. If they are re-announcing it now then they must be trying to cover up some disaster." Durcansky hurriedly babbled.

Tuka deflated somewhat and was forced to agree with that interpretation.

"All very interesting, but do you have any news from nearer to home." Tiso tried to move things along.

"Croatia is somewhat broken?

RNZtQaM.jpg

For those who have failed to keep track, Croatia it is a government in exile. So quite how a rare materials donation works, or what they will do with them, is something of a mystery.

Tiso filed that under "Mysterious but irrelevant rubbish to forget as soon as possible" and tried to move along. His efforts were interrupted by the door being kicked in to reveal a pencil scarred and much bitten messenger.

Xo5Fim5.jpg

Extensive testing has revealed that when Mao said "Be resolute, fear no sacrifice and surmount every difficulty to win victory." he was, in fact, not quite telling the truth.

Tiso couldn't see how this would directly help Slovakia, but any bit of Axis success seemed worth celebrating so he reached for his hip flask to toast the Japanese

---
Notes:
Croatia is a bit weird (like much of this game). It is a Govt in Exile that somehow has several infantry divisions, a division of German Paras as an expeditionary force and holds some territory in the Balkans it somehow inherited from Bulgaria (I think). But at least it now has plenty of rare materials, that it can't use because it is a Govt in Exile.

Ah, I’d been hoping the pencil-studded snakepit would make a return: I’ve missed it. Not being in it, of course - just the thought of innocent transgressors against T&T’s strange and arbitrary whims being imprisoned in it.

A leak in Canada! Soon the north american continent will sink into the atlantic ocean and the war in the west will be won! The communists have surrendered so i presume that will be the last hurdle on the road to axis victory, huzzah!
Thats how it works right?

So, I'm diving in at the deep end as I've never seen this AAR until now...

However, I LOVE:

"Mysterious but irrelevant rubbish to forget as soon as possible"

Extensive testing has revealed that when Mao said "Be resolute, fear no sacrifice and surmount every difficulty to win victory." he was, in fact, not quite telling the truth.

Consider me subscribed :D

Ah, I’d been hoping the pencil-studded snakepit would make a return: I’ve missed it. Not being in it, of course - just the thought of innocent transgressors against T&T’s strange and arbitrary whims being imprisoned in it.
It is always good to welcome back the old reader favourites.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Perhaps Communist China donated their rare metals to Croatia since they got annexed
That is alarmingly plausible and just the kind of thing the HOI3 AI and game engine would do,

A leak in Canada! Soon the north american continent will sink into the atlantic ocean and the war in the west will be won! The communists have surrendered so i presume that will be the last hurdle on the road to axis victory, huzzah!
Thats how it works right?
The Slovakians definitely agree on the sinking North American continent, that is exactly in line with Slovak geological thought (currently at the fascinatingly incorrect 'Geophysical Global Cooling' stage). However even T&T know that Communist China does not really matter either way at this stage.

So soon Japan will rescue Tiso from an uncomfortable destiny from the east!
If Japan would join the war against the Soviets that might distract the advancing 3rd Ukrainian Front long enough for someone else to annex Slovakia. Hoping for more than that is probably inadvisable.

So, I'm diving in at the deep end as I've never seen this AAR until now...

However, I LOVE:

Consider me subscribed :D
Welcome aboard and glad you liked it!

I can't match your crazy update pace but this should be somewhat faster than Butterfly Effect at producing new chapters. But then continental drift is faster than Butterfly so that's not committing to much.

With the prospect of continental drift sinking North America, all Slovakia has to do is survive until that happens. I think they may run out of time in-game ;). But with @El Pip’s update rate, there is a chance that plate tectonics could come to the rescue. If that happens before the AAR finishes (quite probable) do T&T get off on a technicality? o_O

Defeat may be inevitable for Slovakia, but if it is in 500 million years, does that count? A question I think that can only be answered by some social realist poetry. But alas, I am not up to the task of composing it. :( In part, from fear of the pencil studded snake pit. :eek:

With the prospect of continental drift sinking North America, all Slovakia has to do is survive until that happens. I think they may run out of time in-game ;). But with @El Pip’s update rate, there is a chance that plate tectonics could come to the rescue. If that happens before the AAR finishes (quite probable) do T&T get off on a technicality? o_O

Defeat may be inevitable for Slovakia, but if it is in 500 million years, does that count? A question I think that can only be answered by some social realist poetry. But alas, I am not up to the task of composing it. :( In part, from fear of the pencil studded snake pit. :eek:
You have picked a poor time to allege that this AAR will not be finished before plate tectonics sink the continents as we know them, because we just about to return to Bratislava!

You are probably correct, but just the timing looks bad. ;)

... how far are we with the research we started on page 1?
The original research is all done! Slovakia has marginally less terrible small arms and anti-tank weaponry for any militia they manage to build prior to being annexed.