• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder if not only the OOB from '41 and '44 (and '39 and '40 most likely too) are the same, but also the tech and all others :)

Tuka, Tiso and General Malar have had a good night's sleep and have returned to the War Room in order to plot Slovakia's transition to Total War. Some people might say starting this 5 years into a global war is a little late. Some people probably aren't that familiar with Slovakia.

"Malar!!!" Tuka yelled, starting to worry he had started shouting too early and not left himself enough vocal range for his increasing rage.

Good, good stuff. :) If Malar has indeed hidden the army in Hungary for the last 3 years, it is by far the smartest thing he or anyone else in Slovakia has done in that time-frame. I guess the "Let's cower in Hungary" gambit has used up all his brainpower, explaining how he came to be so gormless in 1944.

Wonderfull stuff to read, and SO well written! As to the question of the Slovakian army staying in Hungary: I think they just love Goulash. No need to look any further.
And they might even have the technology to eat it, so they are perfectly happy over there....

Genuine screenshots from the 1941 scenario and the 1944 scenario. Apparently the Slovakian Army spent the entire war sitting in Hungary for reasons that I confess are less than clear.

I was scratching my head at first, not understanding why I was looking at a screenshot from 1941. Then I kept on reading and everything made sense. How sneaky of you to throw off people like that. :ninja:*

*Which is a compliment, of course.

Hm, where are those 80% XP defenders of Normandy? But I think you actually might have an AC brigade! For whatever that means, anti-combat springs to mind. Or maybe there were two AC brigades before, but one of them probably went all-cowards mode and fled through the endless plains of Hungary...

But having a picture of T-35 never ceases me to amaze next to the description "PzKpfw VI(E) Tiger" :D

StrikerSVK - I'd agree the Slovak army probably isn't going to make a difference anywhere, but that's no excuse for just sitting in Hungary for several years.

SSmith - The Slovakian Army had a tradition of desertions and unreliability during the war, hardly surprising really. However in this case the Army is exactly the same size, the 1941 stack just looks bigger due to the Hungarian units underneath. By 1944 they've found somewhere more useful to be, the Slovakian haven't.

Surt - Amazingly not. Slovakia did manage to pick up a couple of doctrines between 1941 and 1944. Nothing else apart from that, but still that's far better than I'd expected.

Stuyvesant - You are assuming this was in any way deliberate. A dangerous assumption in Slovakia.

Schweppenburg - Thanks! I like the idea of the Goulash Gambit, and not just for the alliteration, however the actual plan was far more shocking. Hopefully.

Nathan Madien - You've broken the run of 'S' named commenters, I was up to five which had to be some form of record. That said I'm delighted my cunning plan worked in at least one case.

Ikarases - Sadly for the 80% XP Normandy defenders they are facing a D-Day that actually has supplies. They may find things considerably harder than in a traditional Götterdämmerung scenario. And yes some of the name-picture mismatches Paradox produces are amazingly amusing.

Belgiumruler - Such extravagant praise. Thanks, it does mean a lot to a writer.

And with that, back to Bratislava.. Shortly.

29th June 1944
29th June

Malar, Tiso and Tuka are discussing why the Slovakian Army (a) is in Hungary and (b) hasn't moved for several years. Or they would be had they not been interrupted by a mysterious figure entering the war room.

The figure strides forward revealing... a man who looks exactly like General Malar but slightly more frostbitten.

"Augustín!" Malar exclaimed.

"Yes Gustav." The figure replied.

"But I thought you.." Malar started.

"Froze to death on the Eastern Front alongside the rest of the Slovak Fast Division? You may have tried former brother of mine but I survived. We all survived." The mysterious Augustín replied.

doK2YRi.png

The mighty Slovak Fast Division in German service on the Eastern Front. It may be called the 1st Division, confusingly using exactly the same name as another 1st Division already in the Slovak OOB but rest assured it is different. Apparently.

"Brother?!" Tiso and Tuka exclaimed simultaneously.

"Oh yes, Augustín and I are twins."Gustav Malar explained, somewhat belatedly given the circumstances.

"Once maybe, but now I have no brothers except those who froze with me. You stopped being my twin when you turned evil." Augustín said.

"I turned evil? I'm not the one who's been running 'security operations' on the Eastern Front!" Gustav countered.

"But you are the man who sent me and the entire division there without any winter equipment." Augustín retorted.

Leaving the brothers to row Tiso and Tuka decide to discuss the matter.

"Well clearly we can't keep both of them." Tiso started.

"Yes, it would be far too noisy if nothing else." Tuka agreed.

"Given they are twins who've been separated for years one of them must be evil. We just have to decide which and get rid of that one." Tuka reasoned.

"Evil beards! Tuka exclaimed. "The evil twin will have a dodgy goatee beard or something like that."

They looked at the quarrelling Malars. They both had identical beards. Tiso's resigned reach for his hipflask is interrupted by Army Chief Ferdinand Catlos.

"Are we sure about getting rid of the evil twin?" Catlos asked.

"Of course!" Tuka retorted.

"It's just we're a fascist dictatorship allied with Nazi Germany. Wouldn't we want to keep the evil twin and get rid of the good one?" Catlos explained.

There is a general murmur of agreement from the General Staff.

"You make a good point." Tuka conceded.

"However it doesn't solve the problem of which to pick." Tiso lamented.

--

General Malar's first name is a subject of some debate. Paradox goes with Gustav. Pretty much everyone else goes with Agustín, a few crazy types put an 'e' on the end as well. Slovakia does have a division loaned to Germany in the 1944 scenario, admittedly in reality the division had been effectively destroyed in combat by about 1943, reduced to a 1000 man support 'division' and stopped being even a hollow shell formation by 1944. But hey, it's increased the size of the Slovak Army by 50% so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. And now to the vote; which Malar to keep? You choices are;

A. Augustín Malar

2. Gustav Malar

III. Get rid of both of them.

In the grandest traditions of El Pip votes you are encouraged to vote early and vote often. Voting will continue until I start writing the next update which will be in [Random Number] days time. It's already been said, but I'll say it again, this has been Mod approved so this should all be fine. Should be.

Last edited:
I think they should be made to duel with pencils bare naked in a viper pit while covered in pheromones.

A. Augustín Malar

2. Gustav Malar

III. Get rid of both of them.

Hmm...should I pick the letter option, the number option, or the Roman numeral option? Hmm...I know! Let's go with the OOT option! What's the OOT option, you ask? Well, in "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", one of the bosses you fight are the Sorceress Sisters Twinrova. They are two witches who towards the end of the boss fight combine into a single witch. In the case of the Malar brothers, I suggest we simply combine them into one and turn them into the Slovak Twinrova.

Now I recognize that the OOT option goes outside the scope of the options which El Pip has provided, but the last update reminded me too much of Twinrova to pass up the reference.

"Well clearly we can't keep both of them." Tiso started.

"Yes, it would be far too noisy if nothing else." Tuka agreed.

That's unusually sensible, coming from Tuka. :)

"Given they are twins who've been separated for years one of them must be evil. We just have to decide which and get rid of that one." Tuka reasoned.

"Evil beards! Tuka exclaimed. "The evil twin will have a dodgy goatee beard or something like that."
More sensibility! Shame it didn't work out - Knightrider always taught me that the goatee was a surefire thing.

So, as to the voting...

I say stick with Gustav. They're both arses, but at least Gustav didn't engage in 'security operations'. Plus, Augustin is slightly more competent than his brother, which doesn't sit well with the general hapless vibe of your Slovakians.

Tractors

Barring that I will accept the finer points of late-war meat merchandising in the minor nations of the Axis.

Send them both to the frontline! That would learn them some cooperation :D

I guess I need a sleep for my vote in this case though :p

I say get rid of Gustav. Augustin strikes me as better entertainment.