• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarkS00N

Major
84 Badges
Sep 20, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Preface:
Before I begin, I would like to note that I am not professional historian, just a person with some interest in history and love video games. Because of that, my impression on history of Indonesia (and its precise geography) might be wrong, incorrect, or incomplete which most certainly will affect my suggestion here. So, I welcome people with more knowledge than I do to correct my suggestion when it is wrong, or improve it if you see it can be improved more.

In particular, the date for a lot of kings’/sultans’ reign isn’t clear because of different calendar or oral tradition doesn’t preserve the date well, so I take liberties to determine when they began ruling. If I can get my hand on precise date, I’ll put it in my suggestion, but most of my suggestions will only consisted of coronation year.

I also would like to stress that my priorities are gameplay (or fun) first, history in close second, even if I explain a lot about historical background on why I made my suggestion. Because of that, I might simplify or sideline certain elements of history if I think it will make a better game experience.

Last, I neither have enough modding skill, nor the time to learn how to mod, also I am not an artist, so my provinces’ suggestion would be presented using Microsoft Paint edit, and a lot of flag suggestion will use unedited modern symbols/flags, so apologize if it turns out ugly.

Now with those out of the way, here are my suggestions.

TL;DR: Indonesia archipelago in game right now is lackluster compared to other part of the world, and it can be improved a lot more.

Of all region in EU4 right now, Indonesia archipelago is among the least developed region in game, especially after Indochina get a good dose of event from Common Sense DLC with its Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism events. And while the location can use a lot more events and other flavors, I am however going to focus a bit more on the provinces and nations setup instead of events here, because I find the lack of province variety and few number of playable nations, along with placement of existing nation in the game, hinder the enjoyment the most. Though if I can, I will give suggestions on event and mechanics.

As far as I understand, Paradox does not expand region as far as they could because of two reasons. First, they want the European to colonize the region so giving too much nations to play would limit European access. Two, is performance issue. Now, I can’t do anything about the second issue and trust Paradox can do something about the performance, so I am going to continue this suggestion under assumption that Paradox can keep improve the game performance to accommodate new provinces and tags. As for the first issue, I think most people do not realize how big Indonesia is.

rXEaHu2.jpg

Indonesia is big enough to have several more provinces, to have a dozen more nations, and still have a lot of provinces for European to colonize. And to be honest, European didn’t colonize it like in America, Australia, or South Africa. They gain foothold either by conquered a city that later used as headquarter or bought a strip of land to build a fort which then used as headquarter. The majority of European control here was achieved by using local ruler as proxy. But at the same time, many of the areas of the archipelago is consisted of tribes and villages, which perfectly acceptable to be represented as uncolonized because the line dividing territory of these tribes is hard to draw and there is not enough space to do many of them (like at one point Bali should be divided in to 9 kingdoms and I don’t think that is possible to be drawn in game).

My problem about geography usually steam from the bigger islands, for example Sumatra, which is the sixth largest island in the world, double the size of Honshu (the main Japanese island), bigger than Great Britain, and bigger than even Italian Peninsula. Yet in game, the island doesn’t have any inland provinces. I can understand why the island doesn’t have as many provinces (not enough historical document, the island’s infrastructure is practically backwater compared to Japan or Great Britain in modern days), but at the time it is at the heart of one of the most lucrative trade route in the world, so at the very least it should have higher number of provinces than it currently has.

Geography aside, I would explain more what I find problematic with current setup, from historical perspective, within each part. For this overview, I will explain what I find detrimental to gameplay with its current setup.

First, is the problem of flow, or lack of it. Each island is isolated from one another, which isn’t a problem if not for the fact there are only two to three nations at most in each island. This means in one war a player usually already able to conquer the island they start in. Now because they start in island, they need to prepare enough transport if they want to invade other island, or they can wait to get exploration/expansion idea which mean waiting for decades before doing anything else. Waiting and preparing aren’t problematic in itself (down time is necessary in game), the problem came from the awkward pause because in this place you wait not because you are exhausted or planning something, you wait because there is nothing else you can do.

Paradox introduce several mechanics to reduce these awkward pauses. You can send condottiere to neighboring nation, sent ship for exploration, or managing your country through estate and edict. But most of these mechanics don’t function well if you start in Indonesia archipelago. Sumatra has Malaya Peninsula to send their condottiere, but other islands can’t, because they don’t have access to other nation countries (being in island and all). Ship for exploration hit your economy because your economy relied much from trade, and these light ship is necessary to protect your trade. Estate doesn’t have many option to be placed (because there are so few provinces), though I think edict works just fine.

Second, related to the flow, the disconnected placement of nations already in game ultimately limited the option of what Ideas that a nation can take in early game. Your first Idea will be exploration, because you need to colonize provinces if you want to continue conquering, because you can no longer annex or vassalize using Trade Conflict. And even when you could attack/annex/vassalize through other means, you most likely will miss the reduction cost for coring that having claim gives (which makes it unoptimal).

Third, the amount and shape of the provinces make the game monotonous. The biggest offender here is Borneo, or as I called it, the roller coaster island. In 1 v 1 fight with no fort, if you tried to chase your enemy, you won’t be able to. The constant use of jungle terrain meant your army and the enemy’s army will move at the same speed and because all provinces are coastal, there simply no way to out maneuver one another or use short cut to moves ahead of the enemy. All other islands face similar problem, though usually to a lesser degree, such as if you are chased by enemy, you can’t maneuver your way out because there are not many provinces you can use to slip away.

These are, to me, why I make this suggestion. I like history, but if the setup is good enough, even if the setup isn’t ideal, I can appreciate it (which is why I am thankful for Art of War update). But as the world is getting better, the lack of variety and details in Indonesia Archipelago, and how mechanic available unable to be used well in here, become more and more apparent. So, I hope this suggestion can improved the gameplay in this part of the world.

For the list of kings/sultans, I mostly used list provided by this website: http://sultansinindonesieblog.wordpress.com/

For flags, I mostly used flags presented in this website: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/id_prlst.html

For map references, I mostly used the maps provided in this website: http://www.indonesianhistory.info/

My source for history in the region I used:
- “A History of Modern Indonesia, ca. 1200 to the present” by M. C. Ricklefs
- “Southeast Asia in the Age of Commerce Vol. 1 & Vol. 2” by Anthony Reid
- "Lonely Planet Bali & Lombok" by Ryan Berkmoes
- "The Heritage of Arung Palakka: A History of South Sulawesi (Celebes) in the Seventeenth Century" by Leonard Y. Andaya
- “Kepulauan Rempah-rempah: Perjalanan Sejarah Maluku Utara 1250-1950” by M. Adnan Amal
- "Sejarah Lengkap Gumi Sasak" by Ratmaja Lalu et al.
- This fascinating explanation from r/AskHistory: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/5o8avu/how_did_indonesia_and_malaysia_become/

And other sources I find from google and Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Sumatra

New Maps:
rOpawJr.png

Since the fall of Srivijaya to 15th century, Sumatra is in the state of reforming itself. Local power rise and fall, while powerful state from nearby island (usually Java) tried to control these local nations in order to receive the lucrative wealth from Malacca strait. At mid-15th century, the period EU4 started, the island can roughly be divided in to two parts. The “North-West” and the “South-East”. On North-West, the island was hosting several local powers, mostly in form of wealthy port town/city, and some would rise to be the most powerful kingdom on the island. On South-East however, there were considerable amount of foreign influence. With the coast became center of conflict, many ran further inland, which thick jungle and mountainous terrain means the coastal kingdom can’t have effective control over. Still, it wasn’t as dense as Kalimantan or Papua, so the inland province shouldn’t be turned in to wasteland like on those two islands.

jTkEH2i.png

Let’s begin with North-West. Provinces 1 (Gayo), 2 (Toba), 3 (Kampar), 4 (Kerinci), and 7 (Simeuleu) are new provinces, with Toba, Kampar, Kerinci, and Simeuleu as uncolonized. There is already Gayo in game (number 27 in this picture), but a more fitting name in that place would be Meulaboh.

While eastern coast of Sumatra has always been a battlefield between powers that tried to control Malacca strait, at the time Malacca influence hasn’t expand wide enough, so several ports still remain independent, such as Aru Sultanate (in this map, they control Deli [province 10] and Rokan [province 11]), which were built by Batak Karo people who came down the mountains and adopt many Malay customs. Historically they only control in what is known as Deli in game. They won’t last forever and later would be defeated by Malacca before annexed by the rising Atjeh. However, as Atjeh power recede, in place where Aru used to exist, a new sultanate called Deli emerged. The sultanate would last well in to 19th-20th century, so that is why I propose to have Deli instead of Aru.

The goal to create new sultanate in this part of the island, aside from having more state, is to weaken Pasai considerably. Pasai was a declining power by this time, and it was weird to have them owned half of Sumatra. Yet, they were still prestigious enough to be considered important, so I propose to give them three provinces (Pasai and Peureulak, alonog with the new Gayo province), instead of two like Deli or Atjeh (or only one like Barus). Another reason to give them Gayo is that there is theory that Pasai’s leader were Gayo people, while Atjeh nobility came from Champa, so the rise of Atjeh on the coast pushed Gayo people inland as Pasai fell.

The rising power here is Atjeh. Located on the northwest tip of the island (Meulaboh [province 27] and Lamuri [province 28]), they are the furthest away from the power of Malacca, and have enough space to expand and ultimately become number one power on the island. At its peak, Atjeh control most of the coastal region in the island. Because there are now several uncolonized provinces inland, this should help emulate Atjeh focus to control the coastal area instead of moving further inland.

Barus (located in Barus [province 26]), is a minor power pressed between old power of Pagarruyung to the south and rising power of Atjeh to the north. Its inclusion is to give Atjeh a buffer from Pagarruyung, while at the same time provide easy prey for Atjeh, so Atjeh can grow big enough to match Pagarruyung (though Pagarruyung is still have advantage of owning gold). And of course, so the player has the chance to change history and ruled the whole island as the mighty Barus.

And speaking about Pagarruyung, the uncolonized inland provinces should prevent eastern coast power to defeat it early in the game, allow it to survive to the end game like how it happen historically. The fact that Tulangbewang is now have nation in it, should provide incentive for Pagarruyung to move toward Java, even if they don’t take exploration or expansion idea (because they no longer need to colonize nearby province, just vassal-annex Tulangbewang).

Aside from hosting local power, North-West differ from South-East by having multiple cultures. There is Aceh at the northern tip, Minang at west coast, Batak in between of those two cultures, and Nias on the nearby archipelago. This is different from their South-East counterpart that has more homogenous culture. From religion perspective, this part also more varied. Whereas the northern coast kingdoms were already muslim, Pagarruyung remained Buddhist, while the inland provinces and the smaller island chained were inhabited by Animist.

Talking about variation, one reason why I want a new province for Simeuleu (currently part of Nias province), is because the island was colonized by Atjeh and became muslim, while its big brother in Nias was more successful in repelling outsider and only later annexed by the Dutch and became Reformed.

lT2PXZp.png

Now let’s move one to South-East. Here the new provinces are 5 (Musirawas) and 6 (Oganilir). Both are inland to reinforce the idea that all of the main power in Sumatra spreaded out in the coast because they gain their wealth from trade.

Historically, Siak Sultanate hadn’t existed yet, but I like its existence currently in game, because it gives additional option for the player, while still allow for historical outcome where Malacca control both side of Malacca strait. But the most important aspect of South-East that differentiate it from its North-West counterpart is the involvement of outside power.

We’ve talked about Malacca and how historically it controlled Siak. The next on the list is Palembang (in Palembang [province 16]), the homeland of Srivijaya, or used to be. Palembang were pirate infested place by 1444, and Majapahit invasion here at later decade was one part attempt to clean the place from pirates that troubling Majapahit’s traders in Malacca strait and other was an expansionist attempt by Majapahit to control the strait itself. Because of its similarity to Siak (a part of Sumatra controlled by outside force in order to control Malacca strait, but gained independence later), I propose for it to start at 1444 just like Siak. However, Palembang need to be vassal of Majapahit for two reasons: Number one, it was a vassal of Majapahit and not merely a tributary; Number two it won’t be strong enough to survive a war against Siak on its own, so to prevent Siak from gobble it up too early, it needs a protector. Another interesting case about Palembang is that the people were already muslim when Majapahit conquered it, so I propose for Palembang to have Sunni province but have Hindu as state religion.

The last new nation in Sumatra that I’d like to be added is Tulang Bawang. Sunda had exerted influence over Lampung (modern name for Tulangbewang [province 19]) for centuries at this point, and its successor Banten would continue doing so. There is no one kingdom united all Lampung, so I understand why it was made in to an uncolonized province. However, neither Sunda nor Banten ever colonized the place, and you can’t have uncolonized province as tributary, so I propose to have a united Lampung under the name of Tulang Bawang, one of the more prominent “kingdom” in the province. This way, Sunda and Banten can have Tulang Bawang as tributary. I don’t know whether it would be better to have Tulang Bawang as vassal or tributary, but its relation to Sunda was looser compared to Majapahit and Palembang, so I think tributary is a better fit. Plus, its only immediate threat is Palembang, which is a vassal thus can’t expand on its own. Last, the place is still animist unlike its Palembang neighbor that already converted to Islam.

1)
Name: Gayo
Terrain: Highland
Culture: Batak
Trade Goods: Grain
Special Modifier: -

2)
Name: Toba
Culture: Batak
Trade Goods: -

3)
Name: Kampar
Terrain: Jungle
Culture: Minang

4)
Name: Kerinci
Culture: Minang

5)
Name: Musirawas
Culture: Sumatran

6)
Name: Ogan
Culture: Sumatran

7)
Name: Simeuleu
Terrain: Coastline
Culture: Nias

8)
Old Name: Pasai
New Name: Pasai
Old Status: Owned by Pasai
New Status: Owned by Pasai
Old Terrain: Grassland
New Terrain: Grassland
Old Culture: Sumatran
New Culture: Aceh
Old Trade Goods: Spices
New Trade Goods: Spices
Old Special Modifier: Coastal Centre of Trade
New Special Modifier: Coastal Centre of Trade

9)
Old Name: Peureulak
New Name: Peureulak
New Status: Owned by Pasai
Old Special Modifier: -
New Special Modifier: -

10)
Old Name: Deli
New Name: Deli
New Status: Owned by Deli
New Culture: Batak

11)
Old Name: Rokan
New Name: Rokan
New Status: Owned by Deli
New Culture: Sumatran
Old Trade Goods: Fish
New Trade Goods: Fish

12)
Old Name: Siak
New Name: Siak
Old Status: Owned by Siak
New Status: Owned by Siak
Old Trade Goods: Chinaware
New Trade Goods: Chinaware
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Johor
New Special Modifier: Strait to Johor

13)
Old Name: Indragiri
New Name: Indragiri
Old Trade Goods: Copper
New Trade Goods: Copper

14)
Old Name: Jambi
New Name: Jambi
Old Terrain: Jungle
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Lingga
New Special Modifier: Strait to Lingga

15)
Old Name: Lingga
New Name: Lingga
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Jambi
New Special Modifier: Strait to Jambi

16)
Old Name: Palembang
New Name: Palembang
Old Status: Uncolonized
New Status: Owned by Palembang
Old Trade Goods: -
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Bangka
New Special Modifier: Strait to Bangka, Musi Estuary

17)
Old Name: Bangka
New Name: Bangka
New Status: Uncolonized
Old Terrain: Coastline
New Terrain: Coastline
New Trade Goods: -
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Palembang
New Special Modifier: Strait to Palembang

18)
Old Name: Belitung
New Name: Belitung

19)
Old Name: Tulangbewang
New Name: Tulangbewang
New Status: Owned by Tulang Bawang
New Terrain: Jungle

20)
Old Name: Bengkulu
New Name: Bengkulu
New Terrain: Hill

21)
Old Name: Muko-muko
New Name: Muko-muko
Old Status: Owned by Pagaruyung
New Status: Owned by Pagaruyung
New Culture: Minang
Old Trade Goods: Grain
New Trade Goods: Grain

22)
Old Name: Pagaruyung
New Name: Pagaruyung
New Terrain: Highland
Old Trade Goods: Gold
New Trade Goods: Gold

23)
Old Name: Pariaman
New Name: Pariaman
Old Terrain: Dryland

24)
Old Name: Mentawai
New Name: Mentawai
New Culture: Nias

25)
Old Name: Nias
New Name: Nias
New Culture: Nias

26)
Old Name: Batak
New Name: Barus
New Status: Owned by Barus
New Culture: Batak
Old Trade Goods: Incense
New Trade Goods: Incense

27)
Old Name: Gayo
New Name: Meulaboh
New Status: Owned by Atjeh
Old Trade Goods: Tropical Wood
New Trade Goods: Tropical Wood

28)
Old Name: Lamuri
New Name: Lamuri
New Status: Owned by Atjeh

- Aceh (Lamuri, Pasai, Pereulak, Meulaboh)
- Batak (Gayo, Toba, Barus, Deli)
- Minangkabau (Kerinci, Pariaman, Pagaruyung, Moku-moku)
- Riau (Rokan, Kampar, Siak, Indragiri, Jambi)
- Musi (Bengkulu, Musirawas, Ogan, Palembang, Tulangbewang)
- Riau Islands (Lingga, Bangka, Belitung)
- Nias Islands (Simeuleu, Nias, Mentawai)

- Aceh (Primary Nation: Atjeh)
- Batak (Primary Nation: Batak)
- Minang (Primary Nation: Pagarruyung)
- Sumatran (Primary Nation: Siak)

Flag:
uhnlUPA.png

Note: Deli Sultanate didn’t exist in 1444, but the province was previously held by Aru Kingdom/Sultanate. So instead of having two different tags for the same province, I think it is alright to combine both kingdom into one and having them share historical leader.

Government: Merchant Kingdom
Primary Culture: Batak (Malay in 1632)
National Ideas: Sumatran
Religion: Sunni
Technology Group: Chinese
Capital: Deli
Provinces:
- Deli
- Asahan (1444 start date)
Leader History:

Dynasty: Haru
1. Djafar Al Baki: 1428.
2. Hamid Al Muktadir: 1459.
3. Zulkifli Al Majid: 1462. [0/0/0 ruler, he was blind and deaf, his army and navy were destroyed by Malacca]
4. Karim Al Mukji: 1471
5. Muhammad Al Wahid: 1489.
6. Ibrahim Al Jalil: 1512-1523)

No ruler from 1523 to 1632, Deli and Asahan is owned by Atjeh

Dynasty: Deli
7. Gocah Pahlawan: 1632
8. Parunggit: 1669
9. Padrap: 1698
10. Pasutan: 1728
11. Gandar Wahid: 1761
12 Amaluddin Mangendar: 1805

Flag:
z6kGhUq.png

Note: Asahan didn’t exist in 1444, but the province it held was under Aru kingdom/sultanate influence. It would appear later on along with Deli Sultanate as Atjeh influence on the province weaken, but it would be a waste not to have it in game, so I think Asahan should be releasable by Deli at 1444.

Primary Culture: Sumatran
Capital: Asahan
Provinces:
- Asahan
Leader History:
Dynasty: Asahan
1. ‘Abdu’l Jalil I: 1630
2. Said Shah: 1665
3. Muhammad Mahrum Shah: 1705
4. ‘Abdu’l Jalil Shah II: 1760
5. Deva Shah: 1765
6. Said Musa: 1805
7. Muhammad ‘Ali Shah: 1808
8. Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah I: 1813

Flag:
MG4tTXM.png

Note: This flag is used by Sisingamaraja XII, notably not a Barus Sultan and quite possible an animist. However, I haven’t found flag that can be associated with Barus so far, so I used this flag because Barus was under Sisingamaraja XII’s Batak kingdom when Sisingamaraja XII used the flag.

Primary Culture: Batak
Capital: Barus
Provinces:
- Barus
Leader History:

Dynasty: Pardosi
1. Marah Pangsu: 1395
2. Marah Sifat: 1470
3. Maharaja Bongsu: 1544
4. Raja Kecil: 1585
5. Daeng: 1620
6. Marah Tulang: 1644
7. Munawar Syah: 1720
8. Marah Pangkat: 1765
9. Raja Adil: 1798

Note: There is already Palembang in the game, but its ruler list is fictional. So here I list what I can get in internet, combining Palembang Kingdom (when it was under Java influence) and Palembang Sultanate (after the kingdom defeated by the Dutch and no longer pay tribute to Java). Because there is only 11 years between the start date and it actual founding, I push it to 1444 so it can be playable in start date (as Majapahit vassal).

Religion: Hindu
Capital: Palembang
Provinces:
- Palembang
Leader History:

Dynasty: Damar
1. Arya Damar: 1444 | Ario Abdillah (the same person, but now Muslim): 1455
2. Pangeran Sedo Ing Lautan: 1486
3. Kiai Gede Ing Suro Tuo: 1532
4. Kiai Mas Anom Adipati Ing Suro: 1573
5. Kiai Mas Adipati: 1590
6. Pangeran Madi Ing Angsoko: 1595
7. Pangeran Madi Alit: 1629
8. Pangeran Sedo Ing Puro: 1630
9. Pangeran Sedo Ing Kenayan: 1639
10. Pangeran Sedo Ing Pesarean: 1651
11. Pangeran Sedo Ing Rajek: 1652

There was a break when it was destroyed by the Dutch

Dynasty: Palembang
12. Abdurrahman Kholifatul Mukminin Sayidul Iman: 1659
13. Muhammad Mansyur Jayo Ing Lago: 1706
14. Anom Alimudin: 1714
15. Mahmud Badaruddin Jayo Wikramo: 1724
16. Ahmad Najamuddin I: 1758
17. Muhammad Bahauddin I: 1776
18. Mahmud Badaruddin Khalifatul Mukminin Sayidul Iman: 1804
19. Ahmad Najamuddin III: 1821

Pretender Rebel
17b. Ahmad Najamuddin II Husin Diauddin : 1813-1817
18b. Ahmad Najamuddin III Pangeran Ratu : 1819-1821

From 1825 onward, the kingdom was absorbed by the Dutch.

Flag:
HzsEpU2.png

Note: Lampung (the modern name for the provinces where Tulangbewang existed) wasn’t exactly united at the time, but Sunda and later Banten did extract tributary from people who live here. I propose Tulang Bawang to be used as the name for a “united” Lampung, so it can be placed in game and represent the historical situation better. Problem is, Tulang Bawang wasn’t big enough to have its flag or have its Sultan/King listed online. So instead, I attached Tulang Bawang regency’s symbol as reference for what a Tulang Bawang flag would be in game. And because I can’t find their historical leader list, I’ll left that for Paradox (or anyone who knows it) to make

Religion: Animist
Capital: Tulangbewang
Provinces:
- Tulangbewang

Flag:
TlUM2E1.png

Notes: A united Batak is a novel idea that never happened pre-Dutch East Indies. Batak was split in to several different very small kingdoms, located around Toba lake in Sumatra, but there is a concept of united Batak (though there are disagreement on precise detail of what is/isn’t part of Batak identity). This flag represent the color that Batak people associate themselves with. My suggestion is for a Batak nation that able to owned the four provinces with Batak culture (Gayo, Barus, Toba, and Deli) to be able to formed Batak Kingdom.

Dominate Malacca Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in Malacca Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats
- Get 40 Diplomatic Points

Form Batak
--Desc: Unified Batak people under one strong ruler.
Requirement:
- Primary Culture is Batak
- Owned Barus, Gayo, and Deli
Effects:
- Change Country to Batak
- Gain Batak province (if uncolonized, Batak province automatically become colonized)
- Gain 20 Prestige

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Java

New Maps:
WmUe8Df.png

At 1444, Java is an unassuming place. There are two kingdoms that existed here, dividing the island to seemingly neat half, where Sunda rule the western part while Majapahit rule the eastern part. Looked closely however, the seed for problem for the island is already there. Majapahit and Sunda is in a form of cold war. I’ve read Majapahit claimed that Sunda is part of their empire, while I’ve also read that Sunda think itself as independent. The other problem brewing is the increasing wealth of muslim trader on the northern provinces of both kingdoms.

To be honest, there is not much to talk about Java setup in 1444. To the west, there is Sunda while to the east, there is Majapahit. The main changes I propose for the island is the province density. The island had more population than the other island, which can be represent by having more development or more province. Aside from population, the benefit of having more province is that it could be used to represent what happened at later date historically. It can also be used to have better representation of the island’s terrain.

Come 1500 and all hell break lose on the island. Majapahit grant some privilege to its vassal, Demak, which trigger the ire of its Kediri vassal. Kediri rebelled and killed Majapahit’s king which trigger Demak to retaliate and destroy Kediri. From then on, Java is embroiled in war.

Part of it was religious war. Demak invaded Hindu part of ex-Majapahit realm to help muslim pretender and spread Islam. Demak also invaded Sunda to liberate Cirebon and Banten. Mataram later on going to invade Blambangan because Blambangan was a puppet of Bali and to stop Hindu from spreading back. The other part is war of culture between northern traders against agricultural south. Then there are the simple interest of wealth and power, where controlling center of trade and resource rich provinces is the main goal.

What clear is that since the fall of Majapahit in 1500 until Treaty of Giyanti and Salatiga in 1755 and 1757 respectively, every generations in Java will face war. From Javanese, to Balinese, to even the Chinese. Either it was war for religion, to build an empire, to retaliate against injustice, or to claim the throne.

So, what happen here can be said to be Java’s sengoku period. Since the fall of Majapahit at 1500-ish to the partition of Mataram under Treaty of Giyanti and Salatiga in 1755 and 1757, numerous local power rise to compete with one another, until only one power left remained. Or in Java case, those that lefts are too weak to compete anymore. And if the game set in 1500s, there will be much more to talk about the island setup.

Thus, for Java, the main reason to add more provinces and more tags, along with some kind of events or disaster, is so that the game can represent what happen to period after the fall of Majapahit. But the transition from 1444 to 1500 needs to at least be engaging enough so the player doesn’t feel it too railroady or unfair. But for now, let’s talk about new provinces first.

6O3ARwa.png

In the west, we have Sunda kingdom. Unlike the eastern plain, Sunda is filled with a lot more hills and mountains. Inland provinces are necessary to have more hills and mountains, also to better represent why new sultanates that will appear here, only appear on the northern shore. The southern coast is not as suitable for trade as the northern one. Having inland province also help represent Sunda, with its capital in inland Pakuan, as a more agriculture orientated kingdom, unlike its trade orientated successors, Banten and Cirebon.

The new provinces are 1 (Pakuan) and 2 (Priangan), both should at least be hill if not mountain. Pakuan however is capital of Sunda, so maybe a highland is more suitable. Province 19 currently is called Pakuan, but its location is too much to the south for it to be Pakuan, so I renamed it to Cikole.

KmFdy4i.png

Now move to the east, Majapahit control the majority of Java island (and the two smaller islands of Madura and Bali). The part nowadays known as Central Java is a transition area between the more mountainous West Java and the plain of East Java. The heartland of Majapahit and many of its successor thus is the eastern part of the island. Its fertile land and abundant of rice field, thus high number of population, I think should be represented by Farmland terrain.

There are 4 provinces added here. 2 are added to help shown the historical division between Yogyakarta (Province 3, Karta), Surakarta (Province 11, Pajang, not a new province), and Mangkunegara (Province 5, Mangkunegara). Trowulan (province 5) is added to make it separate from Surabaya (thus allow Surabaya to spawn when disaster for Majapahit hit). Pasuruan (province 6) is added to separate Kediri from northern coast, make a clearer delineation between northern and southern part of Java.

There is already Karta in game at province 17, but the location is a bit tad to the west from where it actually was (and is). Instead, the province should be called Panjer. Other noteworthy province is Bali, which is not part of Java but owned by Majapahit. I propose that when the disaster hit, Bali should be freed as independent kingdom, but I’ll talk about Majapahit’s disaster and its effect on different segments.

1)
Name: Pakuan
Culture: Sunda
Trade Goods: Spices

2)
Name: Priangan
Terrain: Hills
Culture: Sunda

3)
Name: Karta
Terrain: Farmland
Culture: Java

4)
Name: Mankunegara

5)
Name: Trowulan

6)
Name: Pasuruan

7)
Old Name: Banten
New Name: Banten
Old Status: Owned by Sunda
New Status: Owned by Sunda
Old Culture: Java
New Culture: Sunda

8)
Old Name: Kalapa
New Name: Kalapa
New Terrain: Marsh
Old Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade
New Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade

9)
Old Name: Cirebon
New Name: Cirebon

10)
Old Name: Kendal
New Name: Kendal
Old Status: Owned by Majapahit
New Status: Owned by Majapahit
New Culture: Java
Old Trade Goods: Naval Supplies
New Trade Goods: Naval Supplies

11)
Old Name: Pajang
New Name: Pajang
New Terrain: Farmland

12)
Old Name: Demak
New Name: Demak
Old Trade Goods: Cotton
New Trade Goods: Naval Supplies
New Special Modifier: Solo Estuary

13)
Old Name: Surabaya
New Name: Surabaya
New Trade Goods: Cotton
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Madura
New Special Modifier: Strait to Madura, Brantas Estuary

14)
Old Name: Madura
New Name: Madura
New Trade Goods: Livestock
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Surabaya
New Special Modifier: Strait to Surabaya

15)
Old Name: Blambangan
New Name: Blambangan
New Terrain: Savannah
New Trade Goods: Cotton

16)
Old Name: Kediri
New Name: Kediri
New Trade Goods: Tropical Woods

17)
Old Name: Karta
New Name: Panjer
New Terrain: Farmland

18)
Old Name: Kawali
New Name: Kawali
Old Trade Goods: Tropical Woods

19)
Old Name: Pakuan
New Name: Cikole

- Banten (Banten, Kalapa, Pakuan)
- Cirebon (Cirebon, Priangan, Kendal)
- Sunda (Cikole, Kawali, Panjer)
- Mataram (Karta, Pajang, Mangkunegara, Demak)
- Surabaya (Surabaya, Trowulan, Madura)
- Blambangan (Kediri, Pasuruan, Blambangan)

- Sundanese (Primary Nation: Sunda)
- Javanese (Primary Nation: Mataram)

Note: There is already Banten tag in game, but it isn’t used currently in game (except for later date). I think Banten should be a releaseable nation for Sunda at 1444.

Primary Culture: Sundanese
National Ideas: Sunda
Capital: Bante
Provinces:
- Banten
- Kalapa

OMwnAW5.png

Note: There is already a Cirebon tag in game, but it isn’t used. I think Cirebon should be a releasable nation for Sunda at 1444. Other problem for Cirebon in game is its ruler list from 1677 onward is weird, understandable because Cirebon is divided in to three different sultanates. To fix this (for the moment), I purpose using Kanoman dynasty because one its descendant will later build Kacirebonan, a Cirebon resurgent. Last, this flag is more badass than the one currently in game, so I think they should use this.

Primary Culture: Sundanese
National Ideas: Sunda
Capital: Cirebon
Provinces:
- Cirebon
- Priangan
-Kawali
Leader History:
Dynasty: Kanoman
1. Badrudin Kartawijaya (Title: Anom I): 1677
2. Mandurareja Qadirudin (Title: Anom II): 1703
3. Alimuddin (Title: Anom III): 1719
4. Khairuddin (Title: Anom IV): 1744
5. Imanuddin (Title: Anom V) 1797

Dynasty: Kacirebonan
6. Kanoman (Title: Kacirebonan I, Pangeran Carbon Amir Mukminin): 1808
7. Madenda Hidayat (Title: Kacirebonan II): 1814 (in Regency of Ratu Raja Resminingpuri, because Kacirebonan II was five years old)

mOcSZ1P.png

Note: Before Mataram, there was Pajang. It was short lived, but it was an important sultanate that defeted Demak and its descendant create Mataram. With Majapahit’s disaster resulted in it releasing tags all over Java, the more tag available the better.

Primary Culture: Javanese
National Ideas: Javanese
Capital: Pajang
Provinces:
- Pajang
- Karta
Leader History:
Dynasty: Pajang (used in game for last Demak’s ruler, so I used it)
1. Hadiwijaya (Title: Jaka Tingkir): 1549
2. Aria Panigiri: 1582 (This one already in game as a ruler of Mataram)

oOwV1NG.png

Note: Historically, Mataram was a vassal of Pajang that rebelled and overthrew its master when the son of exiled Pajang Sultan became ruler of Mataram. It then continued to grow and become the strongest sultanate in the island. In the game, however, I think it will be more interesting to have Mataram as a formable nation for any Javanese kingdom (so not Sundanese), except Majapahit, that owned all provinces within Mataram Area.

282lV5d.png

Note: Not the most important sultanate there is, but it was one of several sultanates that rise after the fall of Majapahit. I decide to put this one instead of Gresik, Tuban, or other sultanate because its historical position allow the province in game to be big enough to play. Again, it wasn’t that big or long lasting so I can’t get any flag or found the list of its ruler and dynasty. And because of that, I attached modern Pasuruan symbol for reference for their flag in game, and I left it to Paradox (or anyone who knows who their leaders were) to make the list for their historical leader. Another reason to include them is that with proposed Majapahit’s disaster resulted in it releasing tags all over Java, the more tag available the better.

Capital: Pasuruan
Provinces:
- Pasuruan

raj3agB.png

Note: Also called Daha, this was the kingdom that dealt the fatal blow against Majapahit (though more likely Daha’s ruler rebelled, defeated, and killed Majapahit’s king and take over Majapahit instead of destroying Majapahit, but Demak made claim that they are successor of Majapahit so Majapahit officially over under after war with Daha), but soon defeated by Demak. It was so short lived, there is practically only one ruler. Yet, with Majapahit’s disaster resulted in it releasing tags all over Java, the more tag available the better (especially when that nation is the one that finished Majapahit in the first place).

Capital: Kediri
Provinces:
- Kediri
Leader History:
Dynasty: Rajasanegara
1. Dyah Ranawijaya (Title: Girindrawardhana): 1488

tF2CaRt.png

Notes: Madura wasn’t united under one banner at the time, but the limited space makes having multiple tag impossible. So, I use the one that recorded better than the other, Kadipaten Sumenep, as Madura Sultanate. Madura has always been affected greatly by Javanese. It was a vassal of Majapahit, then Demak when Majapahit fell, and later Mataram after Mataram invaded it. When the Dutch tried to mingle with Mataram’s politic, Madura help the Dutch, expecting to get independence from their cooperation, but the Dutch take control over Madura sultanate instead.

Capital: Madura
Provinces:
- Madura
Leader History:
Dynasty: Sumenep
1. Jokotole (Title: Secodiningrat III): 1415.
2. Wigonando (Title: Secodiningrat IV): 1460.
3. Siding Purih (Title: Secodingrat V): 1502.
4. Kanduruwan: 1559.
5. Lor: 1562.
6. Keduk (Title: Keduk II): 1567.
7. Rajasa (Title: Lor II): 1574.
8. Abdullah (Title: Cokronegoro I): 1589.
9. Anggadipa (Title: Karang Toroy): 1626.
10. Jaing Patih: 1644.
11. Bugan (Title: Yudonegoro ): 1648.
12. Pulang Jiwo: 1672.
13. Romo (Title: Cokronegoro II): 1678.
14. Wiromenggolo (Title: Purwonegoro): 1709.
15. Ahmat (Title: Aryo Cokronegoro III): 1721.
16. Alza: 1744.
17. Lesap: 1749.
18. Ayu Tirtonegoro (Female ruler): 1750.
19. Sumolo Asiru: 1762.
20. Abdurrahman (Title: Pakunataningrat I): 1811.

GtuGJxv.png

Note: One of the more powerful Sultanate that exist post Majapahit era. The conquest of Surabaya marked the peak of Mataram Sultanate and symbolized Mataram’s superiority over most kingdom/sultanate in Java (Sultan Agung basically declared himself “Susuhanan” or “Emperor” after conquering Surabaya).

Capital: Surabaya
Provinces:
- Surabaya
Leader History:
Dynasty: Surabaya
1. Kyai Sinuhun Ngampeldenta: 1500
2. Pecat Tanda Terung: 1513
3. Tundungmusuh: 1525
4. Lena: 1538
5. Jebuk: 1550
6. Wanakrama: 1567
7. Panembahan Rama: 1570
8. Surabaya: 1582
9. Sunjaya: 1595
10. Raden Jayalengkara: 1607

KlGXkmB.png

Note: One of four kingdoms that created after Salatiga Agreement, and located at the core province of Mataram. Exist until present day. Because the possibility of it in the game if following historical route is practically nil, I propose this tag to be spawnable when Majapahit’s disaster hit.

Capital: Karta
Provinces:
- Karta
- Trowulan
Leader History:
Dyansty: Hamengkubowo
1. Sujana (Title: Hamengkubuwono I): 3 February 1755
2. Sundara (Title: Hamengkubuwono II): 2 April 1792
3. Surojo (Title: Hamengkubuwono III): 20 June 1812
4. Ibnu Jarot (Title: Hamengkubuwono IV): 9 November 1814

a6pwGgh.png

Note: One of four kingdoms that created after Salatiga Agreement, and located at where Pajang was. Exist until present day. Because the possibility of it in the game if following historical route is practically nil, I propose this tag to be spawnable when Majapahit’s disaster hit.

Capital: Pajang
Provinces:
- Pajang
- Panjer
- Kediri
Leader History:
Dynasty: Pakubuwono
1. Suryadi (Title: Pakubuwono III): 15 December 1755
2. Subadya (Title: Pakubuwono IV): 29 September 1788
3. Sugandi (Title: Pakubuwono V): 10 February 1820

IMU3FqA.png

Note: One of four kingdoms that created after Salatiga Agreement. Theoretically a duchy under Surakarta, in practice it is an independent nation and even more developed than its supposed overlord. Exist until present day. Because the possibility of it in the game if following historical route is practically nil, I propose this tag to be spawnable when Majapahit’s disaster hit.

Capital: Mangkunegara
Provinces:
- Mangkunegara
Leader History:
Dynasty: Mangkunegoro
1. Said (Title: Mangkunegara I): 17 March 1757
2. Sulomo (Title: Mangkunegara II): 1 January 1796

- Tradition (+2 Tolerance of Heathens, +10% Goods produced modifier)

- Desawarnana (-10% Advisor Cost)
-- Desc: More well known as Negarakertagama, this eulogy of our greatest leader Hayam Wuruk should provide example on how our ancestor govern this kingdom and help us rebuild the empire.

- Bhinekka Tunggal Ika (+20% Religious Unity)
-- Desc: Our society has a long history of accepting practitioner of both Hinduism and Buddhism. By understanding that ultimately all faith refers to one same divine being, we could create a more harmonious society that tolerant to all faith that practiced within our realm.

- Indianization (+10% Institution Spread)
-- Desc: Our contact through trade with the Indian people has influenced our style of thinking. Our art, architecture, and culture have all grown from cultural exchange with our trade partners, by continuing a relationship with others like we enjoyed with the Pala new thoughts and ideas will be more easily integrated into our realm

- Candi Builder Tradition (-10% Build Cost)
-- Desc: Candi has been part of our society since the time of our ancestors and our ancestors have bestowed upon us the method and technique to continue building these sacred buildings. We surely can apply the knowledge about these Candi to help us build our society.

- Reignite Sumpah Palapa (+1 Colonist)
-- Desc: Long time ago, our kingdom was the protector of the Nusantara, master of faraway land, tribute comes from all direction of the sea. But beset by internal conflict, our empire crumble. However, the time has come for us to once again hold the mantle as the master of the sea! We must follow Gajah Mada’s oath, and take no rest until the whole Nusantara is ours!

- Mancanegara Admininstration (+1 Diplomatic Relation)
-- Desc: Majapahit mandala is divided into several different layers. One of that layer is Mancanegara, where Majapahit assume control but allow local power to govern it.

- Nusantara Fleet (+25% Naval Force Limit)
-- Desc: If we want to protect our possession across Nusantara, we must have a big and strong fleet. With new knowledge from the west, we can make a better and more efficient ship, and make the fleet we need.

- Ambition (-20% Naval maintenance Modifier)

- Tradition (+25% Landforce Limit Modifier, +10% Goods produced modifier)

- Tanah Parahyangan (+1 Enemy Attrition)
-- Desc: Our land, Parahayangan, is the land of God. Its mountain, jungle, and river will protect us from anyone who want to harm our people.

- Legend of Prabu Siliwangi (-1.00 National Unrest)
-- Desc: Our greatest King, Prabu Siliwangi, has and will always be the role model for our people. Our kings follow his example, our people follow kings that follow his example.

- Luso-Sundanese Padrao (-10% Fort maintenance, +10% Garrison Size)
-- Desc: Our king has met with the representative of Portuguese. In exchange for pepper trade, we wish them to build us a fort. This Padrao is proof our theirs and our commitment. With the help of Portuguese, we can now build better fortification in the future.

- Luso-Sundanese Cooperation (+10% Institution Spread)
-- Desc: Our cooperation with Portuguese now extend beyond fort and trade. Knowledge unknown to us before now available for our people. With new knowledge comes new development and with each new development, we become stronger.

- Control Over Sunda Kelapa (+25% Global Trade Power)
-- Desc: The fall of Malacca by Portuguese has shifted trade to all over the archipelago. Our province of Sunda Kelapa is located in a very strategic location, allow us to control the trade come and out of the archipelago.

- Resistance Against Javanese (+0.5 Yearly Army Tradition)
-- Desc: For centuries, our neighbor Javanese kept trying to control us, to enslave us. But never they attain success. With each war they wage against us, with each threat they throw at us, we become stronger, tougher, better. This long conflict has now shape our army to be better than everybody else.

- Legacy of Sunda-Galuh (-20% Diplomatic annexation cost)
-- Desc: For a long time, Sunda and Galuh existed as separate kingdom. Numerous time we tried to reunite, but just as many time Sunda and Galuh split into two weak and small kingdoms. Now, after we are united, we can learn from our lesson handling this to better our approach in integrating our subjects.

- Ambition (+1 Diplomatic reputation)

- Tradition (+0.5 Yearly Army Tradition, +10% Goods produced modifier)

- Javanese Rice Surplus (+20% National Manpower Modifier)
-- Desc: Our land is fertile. If you plant stick, wood, or even rock, it shall growth into grain. With this fertile land, we are able to produce much more rice than what our people need. And with this surplus of rice, our population grow tremendously.

- True Heir of Majapahit (+5% Discipline)
-- Desc: Majapahit has died and gone, but its spirit is still alive under our banner. There are many kingdom, tried to claim to be Majapahit’s heir. They tried to emulate its success and greatness. But we know that our Sultans are direct descendant from Rajasanegara. And our success is proof that we are the True Heir of Majapahit!

- Javanization (-15% Culture Conversion Cost)
-- Desc: Sultan Aguns is attributed to have defined many part of Javanese culture. By expanding Mataram’s rule, he brings along with it Javanese culture to places they didn’t have strong influence before.

- Protector of Java (+10% Fort Defense)
-- Desc: Now that we’ve unite the island, we have to protect it from foreign power that wish to meddle with our internal affairs. Strong fortification is necessary.

- Legacy of Devaraja (+1 Legitimacy)
-- Desc: Our ancestor long time ago, was treated like God. Now that we’ve embraced Islam, such act is considered shirk and thus forbidden. But we must not just throwaway our ancient legacy. Our Sultan might not be God, but the God approve his rulership.

- Cannon Smithing Tradition (+10% Artillery Combat Ability)
-- Desc: Java, since the time of Majapahit, has been exporter of cannon. As we keep our tradition and perfecting its art with knowledge from the west and china, our artillery shall be undefeatable.

- Army Modernization (+20% Infantry Combat Ability)
-- Desc: World is changing, and should ensure our soldiers use the latest technology and trained the latest technique so we can keep our superiority against our enemy.

- Ambition (+20% Army Morale)

- Tradition (+10% Fort Defence, +10% Goods produced modifier)

- Last Bastion of Hindu (+1 Enemy Attrition)
-- Desc: Majapahit has fallen. Muslim are spreading like wildfire. If we don’t prepare our self, there is no stopping the muslim from taking more of our land and converting more of our people. We are the last bation of Hindu, we must take our stand!

- Heir of Majapahit (+1 Yearly Prestige)
-- Desc: Majapahit might have fallen, but its soul resides within our realm. Never forget the greatness that once achieve by out ancestor. And may we one day take it back!

- Puputan War (+20% Morale of Armies)
-- Desc: Our way of fight, is to fight till the end. That is what we call Puputan. It is better to die than be ashamed by defeat. Our soldier fear no death, and we shall be victorious!

- Javanese Noble Refugee (-10% Idea Cost)
-- Desc: With the destruction of Majapahit’s capital, numerous Javanese refugee flee away to nearby kingdom, seeking safety. Their wealth, customary, and knowledge shall help our country.

- Conquest of Nearby Island (+1 Colonist)
-- Desc: Java is not the only battleground. As they tried to spread their faith across Nusantara, we must stop them before we are surrounded. Colonizing neighboring island should be a priority for us.

- Anti-Muslim Pushback (+10% Infantry Shock)
-- Desc: For a long time, the muslim has been seen as invincible menace. Foes that is bullet proof, able to fly, and defeat our forces effortlessly. But we have observed them long enough to know they are just human like us. We are now prepared and it now is the time for us to push-back our enemy!

- Kejawen Rite (+2% Missionary Strength)
-- Desc: The muslim tried to convert our people, but we know that our faith and local wisdom is the superior one. By teaching and spreading our rite, the land of Java will once again follow our faith.

- Ambition (+25% Landforce Limit Modifier)

- Tradition (+15% Trade Efficiency, +10% Goods produced modifier)

- Muslim Trade Network (+1 Merchant, +10% Global Trade Steering)
-- Desc: The expansion of Islam toward Nusantara has brought with them new opportunity and rising wealth. We have to take this opportunity to join their trade network and grows our Sultanate.

- Foreign Mercenary (-25% Mercenary Maintenance)
-- Desc: Our involvement with Muslim trade network not only introduce us to new trade opportunity, but also the much more professional soldier than those we have here in Java. Employing this solder in our rank will surely help us win against our foe.

- Wali Songo (+1 Missionary)
-- Desc: There are nine saint that pioneered the spread of Islam in Java. These people are called Walisongo, and with their help, we certainly able to spread our faith much faster.

- Islamization (+1% Missionary Strength, +5% Morale of Armies)
-- Desc: Our faith is right, our faith is true. We should be steadfast in our attempt to spread our faith until one day everyone in Java and the archipelago become muslim.

- Jong Ship (+10% Light Ship Combat Ability)
-- Desc: Our traditional ship, the proud of our ancestor, has helped us travel across the ocean. By using our traditional ship as basis, and introduce foreign technology to improve it, we shall rule the sea!

- Javanese Sailor (+10% Sailor Modifier)
-- Desc: Javanese has long tradition of sailing. Our people reach as far as the Madagascar to the west, and the spice island to the east. Our superiority on the sea will help future generation to keep interested on the sea.

- Master of the Sea (+10% Naval Force Limit Modifier, -10% Ship Cost)
-- Desc: Now we are the strongest in Nusantara, out fleet is unbeatable and our effort to maintain and modernize it shall help us build the most powerful armada the world has ever seen!

- Ambition (+10% Global Trade Power)

The Fall of Majapahit
--Desc: Beset by succession crisis, disloyal subject, and disgruntle nobility, perhaps the end time has come for Majapahit

Summary:
The fall of Majapahit is remembered by a chonogram: “Sirna Ilang Kertaning Bumi”. It marked the year Majapahit’s fall, 1400 Saka year (about 1478 CE). It also roughly meant, “Gone, Swallowed by Earth”. The total end of Majapahit is a tremendous event that mark a new chapter in Java history.

Since the end of Hayam Wuruk’s reign and Paregreg Civil War, Majapahit was in steady decline. They lost their oversea possessions, its treasury emptied to pay debt to Ming dynasty, and Islam steadily gained follower in Java. At 1444, Majapahit still had chance to restore its former glory, but they internal strife kept plaguing the kingdom and its merchants in northern coast became wealthier and gained more influence. Thus, I think it is necessary to have a special disaster for Majapahit.

The disaster would ticked when legitimacy/devotion/republic tradition goes below 50, when its prestige become negatives, when Muslim Merchant influence goes over 80%, when Nobility loyalty goes below 40%, when the country goes bankrupt, when religious unity goes below 80%, when there is a rebellion, when a vassal declares war of independence, when the leader’s total monarch point is lower than 1, when there is a regency, when they gain war exhaustion, and when overextension is over 100%.

When the disaster hit, Majapahit must choose between two factions to appease (muslim merchant on the north or hindu nobility in the south, each represent by different tags). Whatever the choice, there will four new tags appear on the island, two for the Muslim and two for the Hindus. Majapahit will then immediately in war with the faction they don’t side with, while the faction they side with become independent but allied to them. The goal of war is conquest of Majapahit’s capital. Majapahit also get -5 Stability, +5 National Unrest, and -50 Legitimacy.

As long as the disaster is running, Majapahit will then get monthly event where its subject (if they have it at the time) become independent, releasable nation in province(s) released, province(s) outside Java (and Bali) claimed by nearby former subject/rival/newly released nation(s), and a new custom nation (when there is no releasable one) created in Majapahit’s non-capital province in Java.

The disaster will end when either Majapahit lost the war or certain requirement is fulfilled. The requirements are: Legitimacy at least 80, stability 3, and win the war against whichever faction Majapahit is at war with.

For Majapahit player, after choosing side, player is given chance to play as faction they are currently at war with. If they keep playing as Majapahit, the monthly event where a new nation is created in Java, the player has option to play as said new nation. This way, player have option to either save Majapahit, actively destroyed it, or take a bit more passive role in Majapahit’s end (the new independent kingdom doesn’t take part in Majapahit’s war, though Majapahit is most likely going to fall without outside help).

Dominate Java Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in Java Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Form Mataram
--Desc: War has ravaged Java for too long. It is time to return the glory days of Majapahit era, under new banner.
Requirement:
- Primary Culture is Javanese
- Capital is in Mataram area
- Owned Karta, Pajang, Mangkunegara, and Mataram
Effects:
- Change Country to Mataram
- Gain 20 Prestige
- Gain permanent claim on all provinces in areas: Banten, Cirebon, Sunda, Mataram, Surabaya, and Blambangan.

Decision
Unite Java! (For Majapahit)
--Desc: Finally, the Sunda has been subdued. Now we can focus our attention overseas.
Requirement:
- Primary Culture is Javanese
- Country is Majapahit
- Capital is either in Banten, Cirebon, Sunda, Mataram, Surabaya, or Kediri area
- Owned or subject owned all provinces in Banten, Cirebon, Sunda, Mataram, Surabaya, and Kediri area
Effects:
- +25 Prestige
- Get Permanent Claim in Palembang, Tulangbewang, and Katapang
- Get Permanent Claim in all provinces in Tanjungpura, Banjar, and Nusatenggara Area

Unite Java! (For non-Majapahit nation in Java)
--Desc: At long last, the dream of our predecessor is fulfilled, Java is now united under one banner. Now it is time to reclaim our rightful overseas possession.
Requirement:
- Primary Culture is Javanese or Sundanese
- Country is not Majapahit
- Capital is either in Banten, Cirebon, Sunda, Mataram, Surabaya, or Blambangan area
- Owned or subject owned all provinces in Banten, Cirebon, Sunda, Mataram, Surabaya, and Blambangan area
Effects:
- +100 Legitimacy
- +50 Prestige
- Get Permanent Claim in Palembang, Tulangbewang, and Katapang
- Get Permanent Claim in all provinces in Tanjungpura, Banjar, and Nusatenggara Area

Last edited:
Kalimantan

Before I delve more into what I propose, I want to clarify what I meant by “Kalimantan”. Kalimantan is the name used by Indonesia to the island that internationally known as Borneo, but here I won’t touch all of Borneo. What I am going to propose is limited to Indonesian part of the island, and Kalimantan refer to that limitation. So, I won’t talked about Brunei or smaller islands on the northern side of the island that isn’t part of Indonesia.

TL;DR When I use Kalimantan, it meant I only refer to Indonesian part of the island. If I use Borneo, it meant I refer the island as a whole.

New Provinces:
mZgC4yR.png

Kalimantan can be broadly divided into three parts. The western part, while smaller compared to other part, was going to get very busy. With Malacca, Brunei, and Java undergoing political crisis in 16th and 17th, ports located at western part of Kalimantan developed significantly and became a center of trade of its own. Peculiar case like Lanfang Republic was a development that possible to happen because of the increasing wealth that comes to the area.

yPEm7bo.png

Because of what going to happen down in the line, I propose to separate the small province of Pontianak and some small part of Katapang in to five different provinces, though Ketapang itself going to be on the different area than the other provinces. In Kalimantan, province 2 (Sambas), 3 (Landak), and 4 (Singkawang) are new, each to accommodate Sambas Sultanate, Landak Sultanate, and Lanfang Republic at later date.

Province 8 (Pontianak) is technically old one, but because it located is some part that used to be Katapang province, so I am not sure how to call it. Anyway, the main reason for keeping this province is to accommodate Pontianak Sultanate.

The last new province is province 1 (Natuna) which isn’t owned by anyone, but has been used by multiple kingdoms/sultanates as outpost to protect Karimata strait and Malacca strait. Majapahit had a naval outpost here, Sambas had one. The island also had considerable number of Chinese trader back in the day. So, I think the island deserve to be its own province.

However, at 1444 most of the new sultanates that I just mentioned weren’t as big as they would be. So instead of having them from the start date, I would like to have Tanjungpura owned them. Those sultanates however, should be releasable.

Now, by making Tanjungpura owned the four west Kalimantan provinces, from gameplay perspective, the western part become a bridge between Sumatra and Kalimantan because of shared sea zone. This means in early game, for country like Siak, they can opt to go across the strait if they don’t want to attack their Sumatran neighbor, and likewise for country like Tanjungpura, they might think Brunei too powerful and attack Siak instead. And because Tanjungpura also owned Katapang, it also become a bridge for power in Java to the south and Brunei to the north. Pressed between two powerful state to its north, west, and south, I think it is fair to make Tanjungpura have 5 provinces, so it has better chance to survive early game.

9OjQOFT.png

The central part (made up of Katapang, Sampit, and Barito) is rather poorly documented. They were under Tanjungpura in early part, then under Banjar yoke when Banjar at its peak, but in broader sense, they don’t have much presence. Thus, I kept them uncolonized, except for Katapang that I propose to become the capital of Tanjungpura. Which left us with the eastern part of Kalimantan.

8Q2jvJE.png

Unlike the western part that became independent as each regional power near it undergoes political crisis, the eastern part of the island is more affected by the change in political order in Java and Sulawesi. At the start of the game, each kingdom was more or less equal tributary of Majapahit or Brunei. But as Majapahit fall and Demak rise, Banjar take this opportunity to use Demak help to expand its influence on this part of Kalimantan and even become a center of trade for spices trade. The political dynamic in Sulawesi would also change this part however, as immigrant from Sulawesi would involve in local politics.

Because each kingdom more or less subject of Majapahit or Brunei, make one nation control all the provinces here won’t be representative or interesting. So instead, I propose to have three separate kingdoms, each own three provinces to balance each other out. This would make them weaker than their stronger neighbor Brunei to the north, or Majapahit to the south, but combined, they can become regional power on their own (like Banjar historically).

The new provinces that must get added are located to the south. Province 5 (Tanalaut) and Province 6 (Kotabaru), these were the location of trade for Banjar sultanate, which should’ve existed here (in fact, they already have a tag in the game).

Kutai shouldn’t have the northern part of Kalimantan, it should be power in between Berau to the north and Banjar to the south. The new inland province (Province 7, named Kutai) is there to represent Kutai Martadipura (the Hindu Kutai). Province 14 is renamed to Samarinda (because that is where real life Samarinda located), the location of Kutai Kartanegara (the Islamic Kutai). Province 13 is renamed to Pasir, which represent Pasir Sultanate. However, instead of having new kingdom/sultanate for each province, I think Kutai should owned them all (so each kingdom/sultanate in east Kalimantan have three provinces).

Berau is new nation that should’ve control the northern provinces (Bulungan, Tarakan, and Berau). None of the provinces in this part is changed (aside from who owned them).

1)
Name: Natuna
Culture: Malay

2)
Name: Sambas
Terrain: Grassland
Culture: Bornean
Trade Goods: Naval Supplies
Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade

3)
Name: Landak
Trade Goods: Tropical Woods

4)
Name: Singkawang
Trade Goods: Gold

5)
Name: Tanalaut
Culture: Banjar
Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade, Banjar Estuary

6)
Name: Kotabaru
Trade Goods: Fish

7)
Name: Kutai
Culture: Banjar
Trade Goods: Tropical Woods

8)
Old Name: Pontianak
New Name: Pontianak
New Status: Owned by Tanjungpura
Old Culture: Bornean
New Culture: Bornean
New Special Modifier: Kapuas Estuary

9)
Old Name: Katapang
New Name: Katapang
New Status: Owned by Tanjungpura
New Culture: Bornean
New Trade Goods: Gem

10)
Old Name: Sampit
New Name: Sampit
New Culture: Banjar

11)
Old Name: Barito
New Name: Barito

12)
Old Name: Banjar
New Name: Banjar
New Status: Owned by Banjar

13)
Old Name: Samarinda
New Name: Pasir
Old Status: Owned by Kutai
New Status: Owned by Kutai

14)
Old Name: Kutai
New Name: Samarinda
New Status: Owned by Kutai
New Special Modifier: Mahakam Estuary

15)
Old Name: Berau
New Name: Berau
New Status: Owned by Berau

16)
Old Name: Bulungan
New Name: Bulungan
New Trade Goods: Tropical Wood

17)
Old Name: Tarakan
New Name: Tarakan

- Pontianak (Natuna, Sambas, Singkawang, Landak, Pontianak)
- Tanjungpura (Katapang, Sampit, Barito)
- Banjar (Banjar, Tanalaut, Kotabaru)
- Kutai (Paser, Samarinda, Kutai)
- Berau (Berau, Bulungan, Tarakan)

- Dayak (Primary Nations: Landak)
- Banjarese (Primary Nations: Banjar)

RIYYhtK.png

Notes: The kingdom lost Bulungan and Tidung (Tarakan) in 1700-ish and it split into two kingdoms at 1810, but I think using Berau for the game is good enough to represent the political situation at 1444. The kingdom also has two periods, Hindu early on and Islam later on.

Primary Culture: Banjarese
National Ideas: Generic
Capital: Berau
Provinces:
- Berau
- Bulungan
- Tarakan
Leader History:
Dynasty: Berau

Hindu Period
1. Surya Natakesuma: 1377
2. Nikullan: 1401
3. Nikutak: 1426
4. Nigindang: 1451
5. Panjang Ruma: 1470
6. Tumanggung Barani: 1495
7. Sura Raja: 1524
8. Surga Balindung: 1550
9. Dilayas: 1576
10. Pangeran Tua: 1600
11. Pangeran Dipati: 1624
12. Kuning Berau: 1650

Islam Period
13. Muhammad Hasanuddin: 1676
14. Zainal Abidin I: 1700
15. Muhammad Badaruddin: 1740
16. Maulana Muhammad Salehuddin: 1760
17. Amiril Mu’minin: 1777
18. Zainal Abidin II: 1800

Mae4zwc.png

Notes: Tanjungpura is a named used by Javanese to refer to Borneo as a whole, however there was a Tanjungpura kingdom. The kingdom would change the location of its capital several times, and its kingdom become a sultanate and its name become Matan (to this day) and this flag is Matan’s flag. How big its influence to its surrounding kingdom is debatable, but for gameplay purpose, I think a 5 provinces Tanjungpura is an interesting setup because this meant there is new rival for Brunei to the west and not just several weak kingdoms to be eaten, and now there are provinces that can be used by Bornean nations and Sumatran nations to conquer and jump from one island to the other (via claim) without the need to colonize it (so you don’t have to take exploration or expansion).

Primary Culture: Dayak
Capital: Tanjungpura
Provinces:
- Tanjungpura
- Pontianak
- Landak
- Singkawang
- Sambas
Leader History:
Dynasty: Matan

Hindu Period
1. Jaya: 1444
2. Raja Baparung: 1461
3. Karang Tunjung: 1481
4. Kalahirang: 1501
5. Bandala: 1512
6. Anom: 1538
7. Dibarokh: 1549
8. Sorgi: 1550

Islam Period
1. Sorgi (He converted and renamed as Giri Kusuma): 1590
2. Jaintan (Female): 1609
3. Ayer Mala: 1622
4. Muhammad Syafeiuddin: 1630
5. Muhammad Zainuddin: 1659
6. Martadipura: 1725
7. Aliuddin Dirilaga: 1728
8. Muazzidin Girilaya: 1749
9. Akhmad Kamaluddin: 1790
10. Muhammad Jamaluddin: 1792

TuDmjq1.png

Notes: I am not quite sure whether Sambas were Malays or Dayak that converted to Islam then called themselves Malay (because “Dayak = infidel” at the time). For gameplay purpose, I will give them Bornean so the number of provinces for Bornean, Dayak, and Banjarese more or less equal. The kingdom/sultanate has existed at 1444, but I think it is more interesting if Tanjungpura started with 5 provinces (so the smaller kingdom won’t just be gobbled up by Brunei at the start date). However, I do think Sambas should be releasable by Tanjungpura at 1444.

Primary Culture: Bornean
Capital: Sambas
Provinces:
- Sambas
Leader History:
Dynasty: Sambas
1. Muhammad Shafiuddin I: 1671
2. Muhammad Tajuddin: 1682
3. Umar Aqamaddin I: 1718
4. Abubakar Kamaluddin: 1732
5. Umar Aqamaddin II: 1762
6. Abubakar Tajuddin I: 1802
7. Muhammad Ali Shafiuddin I: 1815

xSCBjL8.png

Notes: Out of all kingdoms/sultanates in West Kalimantan, Pontianak is the most unique out there. It was founded by Yemeni prince/noble who explored a nearby river, then used cannons to eradicate Pontianak (name of local ghost) in said river. In order to shows that he had eradicated these ghosts/monsters, said prince/noble used the ghost’s name as the name for his sultanate. Not to mention that Pontianak is the kingdom that allow the existence of Lanfang Republic. But because the unique history of its founding, the possibility of Pontianak to appear in game is practically nil, so just like other kingdoms/sultanates here, Pontianak should be a releasable nation for Tanjungpura at 1444.

Capital: Pontianak
Provinces:
- Pontianak
- Singkawang
Leader History:
Dynasty: Kadriah
1. Syarif Abdurrahman Alkadrie: 1 September 1778
2. Syarif Kasim Alkadrie: 28 February 1808
3. Syarif Usman Alkadrie: 25 February 1819

Notes: There is Lanfang already in game, but it is located in Pontianak province. What I propose is for Lanfang to instead be located in Singkawang so Lanfang Republic and Pontianak Sultanate can exist at the same time.

Government: Kongsi
Primary Culture: Hakka
National Ideas: Chinese
Religion: Confucianism
Capital: Singkawang
Provinces:
- Singkawang

YnnNkK6.png

Notes: Landak is an old kingdom, but because I propose to make Tanjungpura have 5 provinces, I am going to just list its ruler when it had become a Sultanate. A bit of trivia, one of the theory I heard about Landak was that its name came from “Land of Dayak” which became “Landyak” then finally “Landak”, while the kingdom’s name is Ismahayana.

Capital: Landak
Provinces:
- Landak
Leader History:
Dynasty: Ismahayana
1. Nata Muda Pangeran Sanca Nata Kusuma: 1768.
2. Bagus Nata Kusuma: 1798.
3. Gusti Husin: 1802.
4. Gusti Muhammad Aliuddin: 1807.

Notes: Banjar tag is already in game, but isn’t used currently in game (except for later start date). However, the place Banjar located in game is historically owned by Kingdom of “Daha” or “Negara Daha”, which currently represented in game by as dynasty for Banjar ruler. So, what I propose here is to have Banjar existed in game since 1444, and replace dynasty of the sultanate from 1526 onward to “Banjar” dynasty.

Capital: Banjar
Provinces:
- Banjar
- Tanalaut
- Kotabaru
Leader History:
Dynasty: Daha

Hindu Period
1. Putri Kabu Waringin (Female): 1400
2. Sakar Sungsang (Title: Sari Kaburungan): 1448
3. Sukarama: 1486
4. Panjang (Title: Tumenggung): 1525

Islam Period
Dynasty: Banjar
4. Suriansyah: 1526

The rest continued with those in already in game

Notes: Kutai already existed and playable in game from 1444 start date. There are however changes that I want to propose. First, the culture needs to be changed to Banjarese to reflect the split between East and West Kalimantan. Second, to change what provinces it owned (get a new province inland; gives three provinces on its north to Berau). I was thinking to have two different Kutai (because there were two different Kutai, a muslim one on the coast (called Kutai Kartanegara) and a hindu one further in land (called Kutai Martadipura)), but after some consideration, I don’t think making Kutai weaker than its neighbor (because it would start with only two provinces instead of three) is a good idea. Also, researching for several kingdoms/sultanates in this list is already taxing enough for me.

National Ideas: Kutai
Capital: Kutai
Provinces:
- Kutai
- Samarinda
- Pasir

Dominate Malacca Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in Malacca Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Dominate Java Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Last edited:
Sulawesi

New Maps:
YKWHyNJ.png

Sulawesi name means “Iron Island”. The island is named Sulawesi because it was one of its primary export. So, if one wants to have an island called Sulawesi, it better has iron in it.

Sulawesi island is a peculiar one because it is an island full of Peninsula. With four main peninsulas, each with its own historical events, Sulawesi promised a lot of possibility of setup. Unfortunately, the island is thin, so not many provinces can be fit in, and mountainous, so the kingdoms usually weren’t that big. With those limitation in mind, I think the island can be divided in to three parts: The south; The middle; And the north.

Lwmnkmc.png

Most of the well-known events that happen in Sulawesi at 15th century onward, happened in the South Peninsula. The rising wealth brought by trade resulted in an aggressive expansion by Makassar toward its Bugis neighbor. This lead Bugis kingdoms to unite under an alliance to contain Makassar. The defeat against this Bugis alliance would lead to Makassar King conversion to Islam and then spread Islam to the rest of Peninsula. But the conflict didn’t end with the conversion of the Peninsula. Makassar and Bone would continue to duck it out until Arung Palaka brought Bone to dominate the whole South Peninsula.

New provinces are necessary to represent this conflict. Province 1 (Bone), 2 (Soppeng), and 3 (Wajo) are added so Bugis kingdoms can be in game. Provinces 6 (Luwu) was part of Luwu Kingdom (another Bugis kingdom, currently in game only own Palopo [province 10]) so it should be there.

Talking about Bugis, I think it is necessary to make Makassar its own culture. I know Paradox don’t want to have another single province culture, but to represent the conflict well, Makassar should be its own culture (although paradox could split Makassar [province 9] to Goa and Tallo provinces so Makassarese will have two province).

Buton is technically part of this political contention, but I don’t think they need to be changed.

So, in between of the South Peninsula and Minahasa Peninsula, there is the middle part. Unfortunately, the history here isn’t well documented, so I left it uncolonized. What I want here is to have a more sensible border between each province and make them have mountain or hill terrain, because the mountainous terrain is the reason there is no influential kingdom can become regional power. Its location that is far enough from outside power also mean outside power have hard time to contact and influence them, unlike their brethren on the north.

Province 4 (Mamuju) and 5 (North Mamuju) is part of Toraja culture, so I want to make them separate. Palopo (capital of Luwu kingdom) also has sizeable Toraja people, so I propose to have Palopo’s culture to Toraja, but Luwu itself is of Bugis culture.

Province 7 (Banggai) is also new, separated from Poso, which theoretically is there for Ternate to colonize, to represent the influence of Ternate sultanate at the province in later date.

hyKJddf.png

While the history of the rest of Sulawesi, outside the South Peninsula, is unfortunately poorly documented, I feel the information I get for the Minahasa peninsula (and nearby islands) is more interesting for the game than the other part of the island. Minahasa Peninsula is a busy place. From linguistic perspective, there are a lot more culture types here than most of the archipelago, suggesting that Minahasa Peninsula is the entry point for Austronesian to the archipelago.

In 1444, there are kingdoms here, especially on the part that face Tomini Gulf, because of trade with the Moluccans. The most interesting thing however, is how the increasing contact with Moluccans and Europeans, ultimately shape the future of the area, forcing previously animist kingdoms and tribes to various Abrahamic Faiths, and with each different religion they adopted, you can see which outside power that they ultimately submitted to.

Only one province here is new, province 8 (Sangihe-Talaud), which is there so Manganitu kingdom can be spawned when European arrived. The rest are old provinces, but some now have kingdom in them.

The first is Gorontalo (Province 13), which later converted to Islam under Ternate influence. The second is in Manado (Province 14), where Bolaang-Mongondow kingdom located. Bolaang-Mongondow later converted to Reformed under the Dutch influence. Both Gorontalo sultanate and Bolaang-Mongondow would start in the game as animist, except for the later start date.

By having tags in Minahasa peninsula, aside from better represent history, it should make the island and northern part of Indonesia archipelago more actives.

1)
Name: Bone
Culture: Bugis

2)
Name: Sopeng
Trade Goods: Tropical Wood

3)
Name: Wajo

4)
Name: Mamuju
Terrain: Hill
Culture: Toraja

5)
Name: North Mamuju
Terrain: Hill
Culture: Toraja

6)
Name: Luwu
Trade Goods: Iron

7)
Name: Banggai
Terrain: Hills
Culture: Sulawesian

8)
Name: Sangihe-Talaud
Culture: Sulawesian

9)
Old Name: Makassar
New Name: Makassar
Old Status: Owned by Makassar
New Status: Owned by Makassar
Old Culture: Sulawesian
New Culture: Makassarese
Old Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade
New Special Modifier: Coastal Center of Trade

10)
Old Name: Palopo
New Name: Palopo
Old Status: Owned by Luwu
New Status: Owned by Luwu
Old Terrain: Hills
New Culture: Toraja

11)
Old Name: Poso
New Name: Poso
New Culture: Sulawesian

12)
Old Name: Palu
New Name: Palu

13)
Old Name: Gorontalo
New Name: Gorontalo
New Status: Owned by Gorontalo

14)
Old Name: Manado
New Name: Manado
New Status: Owned by Bolaang-Mongondow

15)
Old Name: Kendari
New Name: Kendari
New Terrain: Hills
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Buton
New Special Modifier: Strait to Buton

16)
Old Name: Buton
New Name: Buton
Old Status: Owned by Buton
New Status: Owned by Buton
New Trade Goods: Iron
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Kendari
New Special Modifier: Strait to Kendari

- South Peninsula (Makassar, Bone, Soppeng, Wajo)
- Toraja (Mamuju, North Mamuju, Palopo)
- Southeast Peninsula (Buton, Kendari, Luwu)
- East Peninsula (Poso, Banggai)
- Minahasa Peninsula (Palu, Gorontalo, Manado, Sangihe-Talaud)

- Makassarese (Primary Nation: Makassar)
- Bugis (Primary Nation: Bone)
- Toraja
- Sulawesian (Primary Nation: Buton)

hCtWFC2.png

Or

2z3vdvC.png

Or

jVqTpwg.png

Notes: Bone is the main rival of Makassar, and the lack of Bone in game is currently the most obvious and glaring issue in current South Sulawesi setup. Bone, along with Wajo and Soppeng, create Tellumpoccoe alliance, which was a coalition against Makassar aggressive expansion in to Bugis territory. While facing set back earlier by being defeated by Makassar, Bone ultimately triumphant and under Arung Palaka took control of the whole South Peninsula.

Primary Culture: Bugis
National Ideas: Sulawesi
Capital: Bone
Provinces:
- Bone
Leader History:
Dynasty: Bone

Animist Period
1. La Saliyu Karampelluwa: 1424
2. Ibenri Gau Arung Majang: 1496
3. La Tenri Sukki: 1516
4. La Uliyo Bote’E: 1543
5. La Tenri Rawe BongkangngE: 1568
6. La Inca’: 1584
7. La Pattawe MatinroE ri Bulukumba: 1595
8. We Tenri Tuppu Maddussila: 1602

Islam Period
9. La Tenri Pale To Akkappeang Arung Timurung: 1611
10. La Maddaremmeng: 1625
11. La Tenroaji Tosenrima: 1640
12. La Tenri Tatta Arung Palakka: 1667
13. La Patau Matanna Tikka: 1696
14. Batari Toja Dattalaga Arung Timurung: 1714
15. La Padassajati: 1715
16. La Pareppa To Sappewali: 1718
17. La Panaongi To Pawawoi: 1721
18. Batari Toja Dattalaga Arung Timurung: 1724
19. La TemmassongE TO AppaingE: 1749
20. La Tenri Tappu: 1775
21. To Appatunru: 1812

Y0DKvh9.png

Notes: The middle brother of Tellumpoccoe alliance. Less important than Bone, but an important part of the South Sulawesi political situation. I can’t find its flag file online, but I got a picture of it. The Arabic mark surrounding the beast inside shown the flag was created after they became muslim, so for its animist version Paradox might want to just have the beast.

Capital: Wajo
Provinces:
- Wajo
Leader History:
Dynasty: Wajoq

Animist Period
1. La Palewo to Palippu: 1474
2. La Obbi Settiriware: 1481
3. La Tenriumpu to Langi: 1486
4. La Tadampare Puangrimaggalatung: 1491

Regency for 3 years

5. La Tenri Pakado To Nampe: 1524
6. La Temmassonge: 1535
7. La Warani To Temmagiang: 1538
8. La Malagenni: 1547
9. La Mappauli To Appamadeng: 1548
10. La Pakoko To Pa’bele’: 1564
11. La Mungkace To Uddamang: 1567

Islam Period
12. La Sangkuru Patau Mulajaji: 1607
13. La Mappepulu To Appamole: 1612
14. La Samalewa To Appakiung: 1616
15. La Pakallongi To Alinrungi: 1621
16. To Mappassaungnge: 1627
17. La Pakallongi To Alinrungi: 1628
18. La Tenri lai to Udamang: 1636
19. Isigajang To Bunne: 1639
20. La Makkaraka To Patemmui: 1643
21. La Temmasonge: 1648
22. La Paramma To Rewo: 1651
23. La Tenri Lai To Sengngeng: 1658
24. La Palili To Malu’: 1670
25. La Pariusi Daeng Manyampa: 1679
26. La Tenri Sessu: 1699
27. La Mattone’: 1702
28. La Galigo To Sunnia: 1703
29. La Tenri Werung: 1712
30. La Salewangeng To Tenriruwa: 1715
31. La Maddukkelleng Daeng Simpuang: 1736
32. La Mad’danaca: 1754
33. La Passaung: 1758
34. La Mappajung puanna salowo: 1761
35. La Malliungeng: 1767

Regency

36. La Mallalengeng: 1795

Regency for 4 years

d2lnoD2.png

Or

j791eVs.png

Notes: The younger brother of Tellumpoccoe alliance, and the least significant (so much that I am unable to find its actual flag, these are flags attributed to them but I can’t verified it), but its conversion to Islam (and thus helping Makassar against its Bugis Brother) is enough to help Makassar won the fight against other Bugis kingdom and spread Islam across the peninsula.

Capital: Soppeng
Provinces:
- Soppeng
Leader History:
Dynasty: Soppeng
Animist
1. La Makkanengnga (Title: Manurungge Risekkanyuli): 1438
2. La Makkarella (Title: Manurungge Risekkanyuli): 1468
3. La Pawiseng (Title: Manurungge Risekkanyuli): 1500
4. La Pasampoi (Title: Sorompalie): 1530
5. La Mannuga (Title: Towakkareng Matinro Ri): 1534
6. La ’De (Title: Tanana): 1556
7. La Matesso (Title: Mabolongnge): 1560
8. La Sekkati (Title: Puang Lipue Patolae): 1575

Islam
9. Beowe (Title: Agellang): 1601 (converted to Islam in 1609)
10. La Tenri Bali (Title: Patolae): 1620
11. We Adan (Title: Patolae): 1654
12. Tenri Senge (Title: Matinroe Ri Riaddtunna): 1666
13. La Patao (Title: Matinroe Ri Madello): 1696
14. La Pada Sejati (Title: Title: Matinroe Ri Salassana): 1714
15. La Pareppa (Title: Ranreng Toa Maintroe Ri): 1721
16. La Pada Sejati (Title: Naga Matinroe Ri Beula): 1722
17. Batara Ri Toja (Title: Matinroe Ri Somba Opu): 1727
18. La Uddang Ri Lau (Title: Matinroe Ri Beula): 1737
19. Batara Ri Toja (Title: Matinroe Ri Luwu): 1742
20. La Temma Senge (Title: Matinroe Ri Musuna): 1744
21. La Tongenge (Title: Matinroe Ri Luwu): 1746
22. La Mappajanci (Title: Matinroe Ri Mallimongan): 1747
23. Lamappapoleonro (Title: Matinroe Ri Launa): 1765
24. Tenria Warutenti (Title: Matinroe Ri Launa): 1820

3mLcgrg.png

Notes: Much like all kingdoms in North Sulawesi, Gorontalo wasn’t a united kingdom. There were several smaller kingdoms that existed in Gorontalo, so I use one that called itself Gorontalo (which also problematic because it later split in to two). The reason I am proposing the kingdom to be included is because Gorontalo ultimately converted to Islam under Ternate influence, which is a good contrast to neighboring Bolaang-Mongondow and Manganitu kingdom who converted to Chrisitanity under European influence.

Primary Culture: Sulawesian
Capital: Gorontalo
Provinces:
- Gorontalo
Leader History:
Dynasty: Tilayo

Animist Period
1. Wadipalapa: 1385
2. Uloli: 1427
3. Walango: 1450
4. Polamolo: 1481
5. Ntihedu (Female): 1490
6. Detu: 1503
7. Amai: 1523

Islam Period
8. Matolofula Kiki: 1550
9. Pongoliwu Daa: 1585
10. Moliye (Female): 1615
11. Eyato: 1646
12. Polamolo II Tomito: 1674
13. Lepehulawa: 1686
14. Nuwa: 1735
15. Walango: 1767
16. Bia: 1798
17. Haidari: 1809

bbSp8TN.png

Notes: Much like all kingdom in North Sulawesi, there wasn’t a united kingdom in Manado province. There were several smaller kingdoms that existed in Manado province. Unfortunately, there was no Manado kingdom, in fact Bolaang-Mongondow existance as kingdom push Manado’s tribe to unite. The reason I am proposing Bolaang-Mongondow to be included, aside from being arguably the most dominant in the province, is because they became Reformed under the Dutch influence, which is a nice contrast to Gorontalo that converted to Islam and Manganitu that converted to Catholic. Unfortunately, I can’t find a Bolaang-Mongondow symbol to be used as flag, unlike Gorontalo, so I attached the Bolaang-Mongondow regency symbol as reference.

Capital: Manado
Provinces:
- Manado
Leader History:
Dynasty: Manoppo

Animist Period
1. Mokodoludut: 1400
2. YayuBangkai: 1460
3. Damopolii: 1480
4. Busisi: 1510
5. Mokodompit: 1560
6. Tadohe: 1600
7. Loloda Mokoagow: 1653

Reformed Period
8. Yakobus: 1694
9. Fransiscus: 1695
10. Salomon: 1735
11. Egenius: 1764
12. Christofeel: 1767
13. Markus: 1770
14. Manuel: 1773

hDw8SWK.png

Notes: Much like all kingdom in North Sulawesi, there wasn’t a united kingdom in Sangihe-Talaud archipelago. Even in small island like Sangihe, Manganitu was only one from several kingdoms that existed there. The reason I am proposing Manganitu to be included, is because they became Catholic under Spanish influence, which is a nice contrast to its mainland neighbor that became Islam or Reformed. However, unfortunately I am unable to find its historical leader list that trace back to pre-1600 era, so I only listed its king from 1670 onward (the first time a Christian king rule). And because of that, unlike Gorontalo and Bolaang-Mongondow however, I propose Manganitu to be spawned by an event once a Catholic European country discover Moluccas region.

Religion: Catholic
Capital: Sangihe-Talaud
Provinces:
- Sangihe-Talaud
Leader History:
Dynasty: Manganitu

Catholic Period
1. Bataha Santiago: 1670
2 Charles Diamanti: 1675
3. Marthin Joutulong Takaengetang: 1694
4. Marthin Don Lazaru: 1725
5. Salmon Grahun Darunaling Katiandagho: 1750
6. Marthin Lombangsuwu Katiandagho: 1770
7. Daniel Katiandagho Darunualing II: 1785
8. Bagunda Katiandagho: 1792
9. Dirk Mokodompis Lokombanua III: 1817

Notes: Not a new nation, but I propose for it to have new culture, Makassar, to better represent the cultural rivalry between it and Bone.

Primary Culture: Makassar
Capital: Makassar
Provinces:
- Makassar

Notes: Not a new nation, but with new culture and provinces layout, they need some change. They should now own Palopo and Luwu, and their culture should be Bugis like their other Bugis brother.

Capital: Palopo
Provinces:
- Palopo
- Luwu

Dominate The Moluccas Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in The Moluccas Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Dominate Java Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Conversion of Manganitu
--Desc: The Sangihe-Talaud archipelago is divided into many smaller kingdoms, most still hold to their animist belief. With the European arrival however, people began to convert to Christianity. Now under their new Christian king, Bataha Santiago, Manganitu kingdom rise as the only power in Sangihe-Talaud willing to resist the European forces.
Result: Manganitu Kingdom is founded in Sangihe-Talaud province

Last edited:
Maluku and Nusa Tenggara

New Maps:
t2BuUDb.png

dDbA14j.png

Two different areas from two different side of the archipelago, but because each undergoes mostly small changes, I combined them into one segment.

t2BuUDb.png

On one side, there is Maluku (also known as Spice Islands). While geographically isolated, being home to the heavily sought out spices, Maluku has surprisingly far reaching sphere of influences. From Gorontalo in Minahasa Peninsula, to Buton island southeast of Sulawsi, to Southern Philippine, to Papua’s birdhead.

At 1444, there are four powerful kingdoms dotted the archipelago. Jailolo, Ternate, Tidore, and Bacan. Ternate is the most expansionist of the four, leading to the creation of a union called Maloko Kie Raha (The Four Mountains) prior in 1300-ish to contain Ternate’s aggressive behavior, but to no avail. However, while Maloko Kie Raha failed to do what is supposed to do, the idea of a united Maluku now enter people consciousness. But, the archipelago has more than just the four kingdoms mentioned, and one of those other kingdoms is Loloda, the oldest kingdom between the five of them.

Each new province here are added to accommodate the old kingdoms, because the location of Ternate and Tidore in game is supposed to be location for Jailolo and Bacan respectively. The new provinces (province 1 [Ternate] and province 2 [Tidore]) still aren’t the actual province where these kingdoms are actually located, but I think is acceptable (because there were no kingdoms located on each island at the time).

The old province thus renamed to their actual name, Jailolo (province 3) and Bacan (province 5). Each host Jailolo kingdom and Bacan kingdom respectively. Halmahera also should have a kingdom on it, Loloda kingdom. Loloda wasn’t part of Maloko Kie Raha, but it was almost became part of it (if the king wasn’t thrown away by storm when he was on his way to the meeting place), and even until the European arrival, Loloda was still respected by other kingdoms (didn’t stop Ternate from invade and annex them at 1600s though).

dDbA14j.png

On the other side of the archipelago, there is Nusa Tenggara, also mostly known internationally as “Lesser Sunda Island”. Nusa Tenggara itself meant Southeastern Islands, referring to its general location which is in the southeastern part of Indonesia archipelago. While having no strong kingdom that able to match the like of Majapahit, Makassar, or Ternate, the archipelago is very unique culture wise because unlike any other part of the archipelago where either the Austronesian people or Melanesian people become the dominant culture, here the Austronesian and Melanesian are more heavily mixed.

Though as Paradox don’t want to have one province culture, I suppose it needs to be simplified in game, so the western part is more Austronesian (so should be part of Malay culture group) while the eastern part is more Melanesian (so should be Papuan as it currently in game).

At 1444, the archipelago is consisted mostly of small kingdoms, and under Majapahit influence. However, as Majapahit’s power wane, the western part of the archipelago consolidated and each island would have different kingdom that can claim to rule each island, and even beyond.

At the western most island, and the closest to Java, is Bali (Province 3). After the fall of Majapahit, Bali receives an influx of Javanese noble, and reach a new height of power. They now seek to expand to either the west and reclaim Java for Hindu, or expand their influence and population to Lombok in the east.

Lombok (Province 4) at the eve of Majapahit’s end is divided in to at least four kingdoms, but once Labuan Lombok moved its capital to Selaparang village and become Selaparang Sultanate, it grows into the most powerful and influential kingdom in Lombok. At its height, Selaparang’s royalty is involved in Sumbawa’s kingdom dynasties. When Bali invade Lombok, Selaparang is the one that able to face and repel Bali’s forces, with the help of Makassar.

The final island of the western part is Sumbawa. In EU4 timeline, the island was divided in to two parts, Samawa Sultanate in the west and Mbojo Sultanate (also known as Bima) in the east. Which is why the island is now divided in to Sumbawa (Province 5) and new province, Bima (Province 1). There was a third kingdom, Dompu, which is located in between of Samawa and Mbojo, but there is not enough land to have them in game. There was also a fourth kingdom, from a very different group of people, Tambora. But because the kingdom and its people are utterly destroyed by Tambora eruption in 1815, we knew very little of them.

After the fall of Majapahit, Makassar comes in to fill in the power vacuum. They convert the kingdom’s nobility to Islam and replace those who stayed animist with those who are muslim. When Bali invade Lombok, Samawa Sultanate is involved in helping their Lombok brethren. Mbojo on the other hand expand their influence to nearby Flores island.

The eastern part of the archipelago unfortunately didn’t have a more consolidated kingdom like their western counterpart. Still, once the European (specifically the Portuguese) eastern Nusa Tenggara became unique because this part of the archipelago became heavily Christianized instead of Islamized like most part of the archipelago. Larantuka is among few Christian kingdom in the archipelago, and I envisioned it to be spawnable like Manganitu to the north. It was located at the tail end of Flores, and its influence mostly spread to the smaller island to its immediate east. And to accommodate the new kingdom and event that will spawn it, I propose a new uncolonized province here, Larantuka (Province 2).

Aside from having Larantuka, the other change I propose is to have Sumba (province 4) to be part of Timor, because it doesn’t make sense to group it with Belitung island and Nias archipelago in Sumatra (they are hundred kilometers apart, separated by two massive islands). I also propose to change the Lesser Sunda Island area’s name in to Nusa Tenggara and add Bima in to it.

New Provinces:
1)
Name: Jailolo
Culture: Moluccans
Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island

2)
Name: Tidore
Culture: Moluccans
Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island

Old Provinces and Its Change (if any):
3)
Old Name: Ternate
New Name: Ternate
Old Status: Owned by Ternate
New Status: Owned by Ternate
Old Culture: Moluccans
New Culture: Moluccans
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island
New Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island

4)
Old Name: Tidore
New Name: Bacan
Old Status: Owned by Tidore
New Status: Owned by Bacan
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island
New Special Modifier: Strait to Halmahera, Spices Island

5)
Old Name: Halmahera
New Name: Halmahera
New Status: Lolodo
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Ternate, Strait to Tidore
New Special Modifier: Strait to Ternate, Strait to Tidore, Strait to Jailolo, Strait to Bacan, Spices Island

New Provinces:
1)
Name: Bima
Culture: Nusatenggaranese
Trade Goods: Dye
Special Modifier: Strait to Flores

2)
Name: Larantuka
Culture: Papuan
Special Modifier: Strait to East Timor

Old Provinces and Its Change (if any):
3)
Old Name: Bali
New Name: Bali
New Status: Owned by Bali
Old Culture: Javanese
New Culture: Nusatenggaranese
Old Trade Goods: Cloth
New Trade Goods: Cloth
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok
New Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok

4)
Old Name: Lombok
New Name: Lombok
New Status: Owned by Selaparang
Old Culture: Papuan
New Trade Goods: Cloth
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Bali, Strait to Sumbawa
New Special Modifier: Strait to Bali, Strait to Sumbawa

5)
Old Name: Sumbawa
New Name: Sumbawa
New Status: Owned by Samawa
New Trade Goods: Livestock
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok, Strait Flores

6)
Old Name: Sumba
New Name: Sumba
New Culture: Papuan

7)
Old Name: Flores
New Name: Flores
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Timor, Strait to Lombok

8)
Old Name: West Timor
New Name: West Timor

9)
Old Name: East Timor
New Name: East Timor
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Flores
New Special Modifier: Strait to Larantuka

- Spice Island (Ternate, Tidore, Jailolo, Bacan, Halmahera)
- Nusatenggara (Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Bima)
- Timor (Flores, Larantuka, East Timor, West Timor, Sumba)

- Nusatenggarenese (Primary Nations: Bali)
- Papuan: (Primary Nations: Larantuka)

Maluku/Spice Islands
sjSKeAd.png

Notes: The oldest of the four kingdoms in Maloko Kie Raha, and the second oldest if one count Loloda. Within Maloko Kie Raha concept, it was placed as “Ruler of the Bay” (jiko ma-kolano). Unfortunately, I am unable to find a complete list of its Kings and Sultans, so I left it to Paradox (or anyone who knows the list) to giver better detail on who lead when until Zainal Abidin Syah period (which I took liberty to decide when his reign started because I can’t find when he started to reign). Because Jailolo is the main target for Ternate’s expansion, Jailolo unfortunately ended earlier than other Maloko Kie Raha members. While it was revived by Tidore Sultan, Nuku, it then got destroyed yet again, soon after EU4 period.

Primary Culture: Moluccan
National Ideas: Moluccan
Capital: Jailolo
Provinces:
- Jailolo
Leader History:
Dynasty: Jailolo
1. Zainal Abidin Syah: 1520
2. Jusuf: 1527
3. Kertarabumi: 1534
4. Saubo: 1551
5. Doa: 1605
6. Saiuddin: 1613
7. Kaicil Alam: 1656

After Kaicil Alam’s death in 1684, the Sultanate absorbed by Ternate. It was revived by Nuku (A Tidore Sultan) later on.

8. Muhammad Arif Bila: 1784
9. Muhammad Asgar: 1807

JHj3GQb.png

Notes: Unfortunately, as far as I know, their kings/sultans list missed the detail on who lead when between their third king (ruled pre-1400) to their first sultan (Zainal Abidin), so I left it to Paradox (or anyone who knows) to make the list from 1444 to Zainal Abidin, who converted to Islam in 1522. The flag, as you can see, is the flag used under the Dutch, and I can’t find a more suitable/distinctive flag. Bacan wasn’t big like Ternate and Tidore, or ancient like Jailolo, or weak like anyone that wasn’t part of Maloko Kie Raha. It was a perfectly middle power kingdom, located far away enough from ambitious kingdoms, that allow it to survived where Jailolo or Loloda did not. Its position in Moloku Kie Raha is the “Ruler of the Border” (kie ma-kolano).

Primary Culture: Moluccas
Capital: Bacan
Provinces:
- Bacan
Leader History:
Dynasty: Bacan
1. Zainal Abidin: 1521
2. Kaicil Bolatu (Title: Bayanu Sirullah): 1555
3. Alauddin I: 1692
4. Muhammad Ali: 1630
5. Alauddin II: 1660. Sultan
6. Musa Malikuddin: 1706.
7. Kie Nasiruddin: 2 January 1715.
8. Hamza Tarafan Nur: 17 February 1732.
9. Muhammad Sahadin: 1741.
10. Skander Alam: 1780.
11. Muhammad Badaruddin: 1788.
12. Kamarullah: 1797.

sd9WROX.png

Notes: The most ancient of the five kingdoms in Maloko Kie Raha. Loloda was supposed to be part of Maloko Kie Raha, positioned as “The Wall Gate” (ngara ma-beno), but when Moti agreement was signed on 1322, its king was strucked by bad weather and stranded far away from Moti, and thus unable to be part of the meeting and ultimately Maloko Kie Raha, made it the bullying target of the four big nations. At 1444, Loloda still existed, but it was targeted by Ternate and ultimately annexed around 1627-1648. And because it is relatively a minor power, I am unable to find its kings/sultans list, so I left it to Paradox (or anyone who knows) to make one.

Primary Culture: Moluccas
Capital: Halmahera
Provinces:
- Halmahera

ZmYNafD.png

Notes: A concept of distinct and somewhat united Moluccas is something that have existed for a long time, originated from 1322 through Moti Agreement that unite four Moluccas great kingdom under one banner of Maloko Kie Raha (The Four Mountains), though I’ve read several different names such as Maluku Kie Raha (The Realm of Four [Mountains]) or Maloku Kie Raha (Union of Four [Kingdoms]). 1322 Moti agreement was conceived as a way to protect Ternate from the ire of its neighbor (allowed it to continuously expanded) and to protect the other three kingdoms from Ternate. It was supposed to also include Loloda as a fifth Kingdom, but Loloda unable to join the at Moti. Historically, the union ultimate failed after Ternate invaded Jailolo multiple times. However, all of the four kingdoms still adopted Maloko Kie Raha concept as a unifying slogan, so I think it is fit to have Maloko as a formable kingdom for Moluccans who have united the archipelago.

Nusa Tenggara

t0mCsaD.gif

Notes: Selaparang was the strongest kingdom in Lombok at the end of Majapahit’s reign. It was started when Labuan Lombok kingdom moved its capital to Selaparang village, and by the time of Bali invasion, it was the strongest kingdom/sultanate to resist Bali’s forces. At its height, the royal family sire the head of Samawa and Mbojo sultanate. Unfortunately, unlike Samawa and Mbojo who survived to this day, Selaparang is destroyed by Bali’s forces, so it is rather hard to find who rule when for how long.

Primary Culture: Nusatenggaranese
Capital: Lombok
Provinces:
- Lombok
Leader History:
Dynasty: Selaparang
1. Demung Mumbul: 1440
2. Indrajaya: 1500
3. Mas Panji: 1550
4. Mas Panji Anom: 1600 (around this time, the kingdom become sultanate)
5. Mas Pamayam: 30 September 1648

ql5PeWJ.jpg

Notes: Located at the western part of Sumbawa, Samawa kingdom is one of two main kingdoms in Sumbawa island. Originally animist, after the fall of Majapahit, Makassar influence fill the vacuum left and forced a change of dynasty when Dewa Awan Mas Kuning dynasty refuse to embrace Islam. Outside of Makassar, Sumbawa also has a close connection with Selaparang kingdom, as both kingdoms are muslim and Selaparang’s royalty is closely link with Sumbawa’s one. While Samawa sultanate doesn’t have far reaching influence outside Sumbawa, their close connection with Selaparang means when Bali invade Lombok, Samawa readily help Selaparang.

Capital: Sumbawa
Provinces:
- Larantuka
Leader History:
Dynasty: Dewa Awan Mas Kuning (Animist)
1. Awan Mas Kuning: 1430
2. Majarua: 1478
There is a gap of unknown ruler (at least I can’t find them) from 1597 to 1610
3. Maja Paruwa: 1610
4. Mas Goa: 1633

Dynasty: Dewa Dalam Bawa (Islam)
1. Mas Cini: 1637
2. Raja Utan: 1668
3. Harunnurrasyid I: 1674
4. Muhammad Jalaluddin I: 1701
5. Loka Ling Sampar: 1723
6. Ling Gunung Setia: 1725
7. Mapasusung Moh Kaharuddin I: 1731
8. Siti Aisyah (female): 1759
9. Hasanuddin: 1761
10. Muhammad Jalaluddin II: 1763
11. Mappacongga Mustafa: 1765
12. Harunnurrasyid II: 1776
13. Shafiyatuddin: 1791
13. Muhammad Kaharuddin II: 1795
14. Nene Ranga Mele Manyurang: 1816

ZCOgRck.jpg

Notes: Situated on the eastern part of Sumbawa island, Mbojo (also known as Bima by people outside the kingdom) has more spaces to spread its influence compared to its sister kingdom, Samawa. When Makassar comes to fill in the vacuum left by Majapahit, Mbojo converted to Islam and trusted to govern over Flores’ kingdom called Manggarai. As such, when the European comes to the island, Bima is known to exert its influence over Flores and Sumba island.

Capital: Bima
Provinces:
- Bima
Leader History:
Dynasty: Mbojo
Animist
1. Mawaä Indera Mbojo: 1440
2. Mawaä Bilmana: 1450
3. Manggampo Donggo: 1460
4. Mambora ba Pili Tuta: 1472
5. Tureli Nggampo: 1485
6. Mawaä Ndapa: 1504
7. Ruma Samara: 1519
8. Ruma Sarise: 1535
9. Ruma Mantau Asi Sawo: 1545
10. Ruma Manuru Sarei: 1563
11. Tureli Nggampo: 1570
12. Mambora di Sapega: 1590
13. Mantau Asi Peka: 1610

Islam
14. Abdul Kahir: 1640 (Only last “several months”)
15. Ambela Abu'l-Khair Sirajuddin: 1640
16. Nuruddin Abubakar Ali Syah: 1682
17. Jamaluddin Ali Syah: 1687
18. Hasanuddin Muhammad Ali Syah: 1697
19. Alauddin Muhammad Syah: 1731
20. Kamalat Syah (female): 1748
21 Abdul Kadim Muhammad Syah: 1751
22. Abdul Hamid Muhammad Syah: 1773
23. Ismail Muhammad Syah: 1817

zBgJVRj.png

Notes: A kingdom lies down under in Flores, Larantuka was one of few Christian kingdom in the archipelago and thus very isolated from another kingdoms/sultanate, though of course historically it was surrounded by smaller kingdoms/tribes. Much like Manganitu, I propose the kingdom to be spawnable by event once a Catholic European country find the Moluccas region. Unfortunately, I am unable to find its flag, so I attached Flores Timur regency symbol as reference for Paradox to make the flag.

Primary Culture: Papuan
Capital: Larantuka
Provinces:
- Larantuka
Leader History:
Dynasty: Diaz Viera de Godinho
1. Ola Ado Bala (Converted to Catholic in 1665 and rechristened as Don Fransisco Diaz Viera de Godinho): 1645
2. Don Gaspar I: 1685
3. Don Manuel: 1730
4. Don Contantino Blanterang de Rosari: 1765
5. Don Andre I DVG: 1792
6. Don Laurenso I: 1818

Dominate The Moluccas Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in The Moluccas Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats

Form Maloko
--Desc: The Moti Agreement might have failed its purpose, but its dream of united Maloko lives on. Now, with the archipelago under our rule, the dream of Maloko Kie Raha can finally be fulfilled.
Requirement:
- Primary Culture is Moluccan
- Capital in Spice Island area
- Owned Ternate, Jailolo, Tidore, Bacan, and Halmahera
Effects:
- Change Country to Maloko
- Gain 20 Prestige
- +10% Trade Goods Production for 20 years

Conversion of Larantuka
--Desc: There has been many tribes inhabiting Flores island. However, with European arrival, comes new idea and new era. As their leader, Ola Adabala, baptized to Christianity, Larantuka enter new chapter as Christian Kingdom in the archipelago.
Result: Larantuka Kingdom is founded in Larantuka province

Last edited:
Misc. (New Government, New Mechanic, etc.)

New Government
--Desc: Kingdom in the land below the wind are dependent and affected by global trade, thus the kingdom heavily involved on the ongoing trade within its realm.

Summary:
All of kingdoms/sultanates in Indonesia archipelago were involved in trade, either as producer, consumer, or middle man, even those more associated with agriculture like Javanese. Thus, I propose for them to have their own kind of government.

Merchant kingdom's mechanic is inspired by Merchant Republic, but because all of kingdoms/sultanates in the archipelago will use it, there are going to be several adjustments. The influence of Chinese, Hindus, and Muslims will also be used as inspiration.

Bonus:
- +1 Merchant
- -15% Increase Mercantalism Cost (With Common Sense)/+5% Mercantilism (Without Common Sense)
- 0/0/-0.025 Monthly Autonomy Change
- +1 Number of States
- +10 Maximum Absolutism

Additional Mechanic
- Can have Tributary subject
- Can create Kampung, create Mandala, and create Port Kingdom
- Get additional Trade Policies
- Can interact with “Orang Laut” mechanic
- Use Estates

--Merchant Kingdom Estate (Non-Muslim)
- Nobility
- Clergy
- Muslim Merchant (New Estate)
- Kongsi (New Estate)

--Merchant Kingdom Estate (Muslim)
- Noble Merchant (New Estate)
- Clergy
- Kongsi (New Estate)
- Dhimmi

--Desc: A form of Republic formed by Chinese diaspora in Indonesia archipelago.

Summary:
Chinese version for Merchant Republic, with all its bonuses (can create trade league, bonus goods production for province owned by non-Kongsi government, etc.), drawbacks (20 provinces limit, etc.), and mechanics (factions, election every 4 years, etc.). But they use Chinese name and can have Tributary subject.

Summary:
Similar to Merchant Republic’s Trade City. A merchant kingdom that has created a Mandala will be able to founder a Port Kingdom per Trade Node. It has the same bonus as Trade City. If it get second provinces, it will become a Merchant Kingdom. It is also a monarchy instead of a republic.

New Mechanic
Mandala is a form of government similar to feudalism or tributary. Theoretically, you have a country that become the center of a circle, and several layers of circle (represent country’s subjects) surrounding the center spot, with each layer represent the geographical distances between. The closer you are to the center of Mandala, the stronger the overlord influence going to be, and likewise, the farther away you are from the center of Mandala, the more independent you become.

To represent this, I propose to give Merchant Kingdom the ability to have tributary (which will be used to represent relation between kingdom the farthest away from the main kingdom) and Mandala (a new mechanic which will represent the stronger control of the main kingdom).

Mandala that I proposed is pretty much a makeover of Merchant Republic’s Trade League. Some kind of defensive alliance where the leader can keep growing, while the members can only have one province. The differences would be largely cosmetic (For example, the leader is called “Negara Agung”, the member is called “Mancanegara”). Aside from that, Mandala mechanically function the same as Trade League.

When trader stayed to trade in far away kingdom, they create a compound known as “kampung” where they can stay, gather, exchange information, store their goods, and help sell said goods. These kampung stay even to this day and known mostly by the culture of the trader, such as Kampung Melayu (for Malay), Kampung Jawa (for Javanese), Kampung Ambon (for people from Ambon), etc.

Similar to Mandala, I think another mechanic for Merchant Republic (in this case, Trade Post), can be used to represent this. But instead of “Trade Post”, for Merchant Kingdom it should be called “Kampung”. Aside from name, it should function the same way as Trade Post.

Due to its trade focus, I propose merchant could have five additional trade policies. Two are available in every trade nodes, while the other three require the trade nodes to have a unique modifier called “Orang Laut”.
The new trade policies are:
- Encourage Productions:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node
-- Effect: +N% Local Goods Production in all province within the trade node. N is depended on how big the merchant kingdom’s share of trade power in that trade node.
- Establish Sea Patrol:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node
-- Effect: +10% Local trade steering, +10% Embargo efficiency
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Pirate:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have less than 50% share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +10% Local Privateering efficiency, +10% Chance to capture enemy ship
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Merchant:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have 50% or more share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +10% Local trade efficiency
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Sailor:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have 70% or more share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +5% Local sailor modifier in all coastal province within trade node, -10% Local shipbuilding time in all province within trade node

Orang Laut, or Sea Nomad, is a society mostly unique to Southeast Asia. Spend most of, if not, all of their time at seas, these people were a powerful force politically and economically at early and later age of commerce of Southeast Asia. At their best, they are excellent sailor and trader, but at their worst they can be pirate and raider. In order to be the master of trade in Southeast Asia, any merchant kingdom must oversee their activities to prevent their worst and encourage the use of their best. Historically, when there is no powerful state in a particular sea, like pre-Malaka in Strait of Malacca or pre-Bugis kingdoms in Flores Sea, Orang Laut operate mostly as pirate. When powerful states arise, these states soon become patron of the sea nomad (and lead to Orang Laut’s legend turn that particular Orang Laut group in to a descendant of said state, for example Orang Laut in north of Kalimantan claimed to be descendant of Brunei Sultanate while Orang Laut in Sulawesi’s south peninsula claimed to be descendant of the Bugis) and these states ability to rule over the sea is boosted by these sea gypsies help.
In many ways, Orang Laut is perfect for a new estate type, but their sea based life (with very limited coastal settlement at most) means typical land giving that an estate has is unsuitable for them. I have in mind a more complicated suggestion for interaction between Merchant Kingdom, but I think for now a simpler type of interaction is sufficient.
I propose that Orang Laut appear as special modifier that appear on trade nodes in Southeast Asia. In these trade nodes, merchant kingdom gets additional trade policy options which represent the interaction between the merchant kingdoms and local Orang Laut.
As there are several groups of Orang Laut, each exist in different trade nodes, once a merchant kingdom has 80% or more share of trade power in certain trade nodes, they can choose to become patron of said Orang Laut. For example, Sama-Bajau group exist in Philippine, Moluccan, and Java Sea Trade Node. When a merchant kingdom has 80% or more share of trade power in all of these trade nodes, they will get option to become the Patron of Sama-Bajau.
Become a patron will gives +1 Legitimacy and +1 Prestige per Orang Laut group plus additional bonus of that particular Orang Laut. A merchant kingdom will stay as patron of the Orang Laut group until they have less than 50% share of trade power in any trade node where said Orang Laut group exist.
The groups of Orang Laut, where they exist, and their bonus are:
- Samau-Bajau:
-- Present in: Philippine, Moluccan, and Java Sea Trade Node
-- Patron Bonus: +20% Naval Morale
- Orang Laut:
-- Present in: Malacca and Siam Trade Node
-- Bonus: +10% Naval Forcelimit Modifier
- Moken:
-- Present in: Bengal Trade Node
-- Bonus: +1 Merchant

yUIcSLS.jpg

Here is an example of possible trade node interface for Merchant Kingdom. On the right side is the 5 new trade policies. T1 and T2 are policies that can be chosen by simply having a merchant in a trade node. T3-T5 are policies that can only be chosen if the Trade Node has an “Orang Laut” modifier.

To know whether a trade node has an “Orang Laut” modifier or not, there is a new symbol near the trade value’s detail. If the trade node has no “Orang Laut” modifier, the symbol won’t be there. As long as no merchant kingdom manage to reach 80% share of trade power, this symbol will be greyed out. When a merchant kingdom manages to have 80% share of trade power, the symbol will be colored. Then when a merchant kingdom able to become patron of a particular Orang Laut group, this symbol can be clicked in order for the merchant kingdom to become the patron of that particular Orang Laut group.

New Estates
--Desc: This estate represents Muslim traders that has become the main player in Southeast Asia Trade Network. As kingdoms in the archipelago relied on trade for their wealth, these traders are important for kingdoms’ prosperity, and in exchange for the wealth they bring, they’ve gain special rights to maintain and sometimes govern trading ports in the kingdoms.

Most trader in 15th to 18th century Southeast Asia were Muslim, whether they were from Arabs, Malays, or Chinese. Their importance for kingdoms’ wealth made them have a lot of political power within the kingdoms. My inspiration for this estate is Majapahit’s Muslim trader that operate in the north.

At the time of Majapahit, as trade became more active across Java sea, the wealth accumulated by the traders means they slowly become more important for central government. With their wealth and position of importance, they demand more privilege from central government. This privilege that is given to these traders create tension between the traders and local nobility, which reach its peak when Kediri finally rebelled against Majapahit.

The goal of this estate is to represent their increasing importance of muslim trader (and thus non-trader Muslim) in non-muslim realm. Because their vital role for kingdoms’ wealth (and proselytize nature), they will demand some territory. And because they historically became independent state during and after the fall of Majapahit, I propose their disaster to be a creation of independent Muslim Sultanate.

Other important thing about the trade network is the flow of knowledge. Most of the time, these traders have better technology than their local peers because they can import better equipment, more professional mercenaries, and have access to information that locally unavailable (such as modern tactics, medicine, etc.). As such, this estate will give technological bonus, but it will lose its goods production bonus (which is given to Chinese Diaspora estate).

Territory:
This estate will only accept province with muslim religion. Local autonomy is negated for sailor modifier, naval force limit modifier, and local trade power. Province with Muslim Merchant estate cannot be converted to another religion by a missionary.

Influence:
The base influence is 20%. +5% from having province with 30 development. +5% from having province with a center of trade. +5% when capital city in province in Malaya, Indonesia, Moluccan region. +5% when trade income is between 50% to 74%. +10% when trade income is at least 75%. +% from having muslim province.

Loyalty:
The estate’s loyalty decay speed is modified by: +10% for having full humanist idea; +10% for having full trade idea.

Disaster:
When influence too high, this estate will trigger Muslim Independence disaster

Bonuses/Penalties
When Influence at (0-19/20-39/40-59/60-100) | Province Modifier
Loyalty at 0-39: (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Trade efficiency; (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Technlogy cost; Has chance to trigger event to convert province they own and nearby province to Islam (if the province isn’t Islam yet) | -100% missionary strength; +5 Local unrest
Loyalty at 40-59: (+5%/10%/15%/20%) trade efficiency; Has chance to trigger event to convert province they own to Islam (if the province isn’t Islam yet) | -100% missionary strength; +50% Local trade power
Loyalty at 60-100: (+5%/10%/15%/20%) trade efficiency; (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Technology cost | -100% missionary strength; +50% Local trade power; +33% Local Tax

--Desc: This estate represents nobility of Southeast Asia Sultanate. Most of nobility in Southeast Asia Sultanate rise through prominence or maintain their political significant by involved directly with trade within their realm.

Aside from Javanese court like Mataram, nobility in Southeast Asia Sultanate usually associated with trade, as the main source for wealth in the region comes from the global trade network that run through it. And with trade, comes along the big focus on navy. This estate basically is development from the Muslim merchant estate when that estate gained independence.

The main focus on sea trade and navy means unlike Nobility estate, this estate’s bonuses are more navy and trade orientated compared to normal nobility estate. They also should get some trade related interaction.

Territory:
This estate will accept all province and it will demand 10% of nation’s development. Local autonomy is negated for sailor modifier, naval force limit modifier, land force limit modifier, and local trade power.

Influence:
The base influence is 20%. +5% from having province with a center of trade. +5% when capital city in province in Malaya, Indonesia, and Moluccan region. +5% when trade income is between 50% to 74%. +10% when trade income is at least 75%. +% from having muslim province.

Loyalty:
The estate’s loyalty decay speed is modified by: +10% for having full aristrocatic idea; +5% for having full trade idea; +5% when legitimacy 70% and 94%; +10% when legitimacy at least 95%; -5% when legitimacy is between 25% and 49%; -10% when legitimacy is less than 25%.

Disaster:
When influence too high, this estate will trigger Aristocratic Coup disaster

Bonuses/Penalties
When Influence at 0-19/20-39/40-59/60-100 | Province Modifier
Loyalty at 0-39: (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Naval maintenance; (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Army maintenance | +5 Local Unrest
Loyalty at 40-59: (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Naval maintenance | +50% Local Trade power
Loyalty at 60-100: (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Naval maintenance; (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Army maintenance | +50% Local Trade power; +15% Local Defensiveness

--Desc: This estate represents organized Chinese community that lived in sizeable number of population in Southeast Asia. Chinese immigrant has come to the southern since at the least the Song dynasty. Some comes as refugee of Mongol conquest, some are traders, some other are worker for Gold Mines. Regardless of why they come, the Chinese and their descendant have built a big enough and influential enough community that demands rulers’ attention.

There is a sizeable number of Chinese Diaspora in Southeast Asia, except for those east of Makassar, since at least Song dynasty in 11th-12th Century. These Chinese community worked either as trader, worker, miner, farmer, artisan, or other jobs. Some local history also said that several nobles were of Chinese descent (usually marriage between Chinese “princess” and local noble).

There are two important events that I use as inspiration for this estate. First, is a rebellion called “Geger Pecinan”. This rebellion happened because the Dutch massacred a number of Chinese in Batavia, which triggered an island wide rebellion (because it involved several factions from Northern Coast Java). The second event is the foundation of Lanfang Republic. In West Kalimantan, the Chinese community has grown to a sizeable enough number, compared to local population, that they demand (and permitted) to have its own government.

Because the Chinese occupation as farmer, artisan, miner, etc., this estate gives bonuses on goods production and other goods related bonuses. When they have low loyalty, they incite unrest, while when their influence is too big, their disaster will result in them gained independence as Kongsi (a Chinese version of Merchant Republic).

Territory:
This estate will accept all coastal province, province with gold, and it will demand 0% of nation’s development. Local autonomy is negated for local production efficiency and local tax modifier.

Influence:
The base influence is 0%. +5% from having province with 30 development. +5% from having province with gold. +5% when capital city in province in Malaya, Indonesia, Moluccan, Indochina, and Burma region.

Loyalty:
The estate’s loyalty decay speed is modified by: +10% for having full humanist idea.

Disaster:
When influence too high, this estate will trigger Kongsi Independence disaster

Bonuses/Penalties
When Influence at 0-19/20-39/40-59/60-100 | Province Modifier
Loyalty at 0-39: (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Good’s production efficiency; (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Development cost | +5 Local Unrest
Loyalty at 40-59: (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Good’s production efficiency | +10% Local goods produced
Loyalty at 60-100: (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Good’s production efficiency; (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Development cost | +10% Local goods produced; +33% Local Tax Modifier

--Desc: This estate represents organized Chinese community that lived in sizeable number of population in Southeast Asia. Chinese immigrant has come to the southern since at the least the Song dynasty. Some comes as refugee of Mongol conquest, some are traders, some other are worker for Gold Mines. Regardless of why they come, the Chinese and their descendant have built a big enough and influential enough community that demands rulers’ attention.

There is a sizeable number of Chinese Diaspora in Southeast Asia, except for those east of Makassar, since at least Song dynasty in 11th-12th Century. These Chinese community worked either as trader, worker, miner, farmer, artisan, or other jobs. Some local history also said that several nobles were of Chinese descent (usually marriage between Chinese “princess” and local noble).

There are two important events that I use as inspiration for this estate. First, is a rebellion called “Pecinan War”. This rebellion happened because the Dutch massacred a number of Chinese in Batavia, which triggered an island wide rebellion (because it involved several factions from Northern Coast Java). The second event is the foundation of Lanfang Republic. In West Kalimantan, the Chinese community has grown to a sizeable enough number, compared to local population, that they demand (and permitted) to have its own government.

The main differences between the muslim and non-muslim version is that because there is no dedicated burgher estate, the Chinese Diaspora gained some of their function, bonuses, and interaction.

Territory:
This estate will accept all coastal province, province with gold, and it will demand 0% of nation’s development. Local autonomy is negated for local production efficiency, local trade modifier, and local tax modifier.

Influence:
The base influence is 0%. +5% from having province with 30 development. +5% from having province with Center of Trade. +5% from having province with gold. +5% when capital city in province in Malaya, Indonesia, Moluccan, Indochina, and Burma region.

Loyalty:
The estate’s loyalty decay speed is modified by: +10% for having full humanist idea; +10% for having full trade idea.

Disaster:
When influence too high, this estate will trigger Kongsi Independence disaster

Bonuses/Penalties
Loyalty at 0-39: (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Good’s production efficiency; (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Development cost | +5 Local Unrest
Loyalty at 40-59: (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Good’s production efficiency | +10% Local goods produced
Loyalty at 60-100: (+2.5%/+5%/+7.5%/+10%) Good’s production efficiency; (-2.5%/-5%/-7.5%/-10%) Development cost | +10% Local goods produced; +50% Local Trade Power

New Disasters:
--Desc: The Muslims have grown so powerful that they have broken off to form a country of their own, outside of our control

Summary:
When Muslim Merchant estate gain enough influence, they will become independent, and thus all provinces belonging to the Muslim Merchant estate will forming their own nation with Merchant Kingdom as government type.

--Desc: The Chinese community within our realm have grown so powerful that they have broken off to form a country of their own, outside of our control

Summary:
When Chinese Diaspora estate gain enough influence, they will become independent, and thus all provinces belonging to the Chinese Diaspora estate will forming their own nation with Kongsi as government type.

New Decision:
I am not particullary fond of the idea of a formable country when a nation in Indonesia manage to control the whole archipelago, because while there are kingdoms that manage to exert their influence through out the archipelago, none any of them change their name to an older kingdom that have manage to do it before them. Another reason is because forming a new nation require the country to own the required provinces, which is not exactly how the nations in Indonesia at the time behave.
My old version does have the suggestion for a formable nation, so I left it here. But, I think a better option is to make it similar to “Unify Islam” type decision instead of “Form [insert country name]” type decision.

lO52yct.png

Notes: For quite a while now people has been asking for a formable nation for Indonesia archipelago. I must admit, I was not one of those people because pre-Dutch East Indies there was only one archipelago wide empire, Majapahit. Srivijaya only encompass Malacca, Sunda, and Karimata strait. And even though Majapahit control the whole archipelago based on tributary system called Mandala, it was very brief because of internal strife that plague it post-Hayam Wuruk. Thus, for a long time I thought the concept of united archipelago is just a happenstance of Majapahit’s aggressive expansion at the time.

Still, the idea is interesting enough for me to do some research, and it turns out the idea of uniting the whole archipelago wasn’t new to Majapahit. Medang, the very first Java empire, once influential enough for a king in Philippine to mentioned it in a debt case (the Laguna Copperplate Inscription) and Majapahit decisions to expand outside Java is a continuation of previous kingdom policy. Named Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara by Kertanagara, it was a concept of united or union of whole kingdom in the archipelago. Cakrawala means Horizon, Mandala is the government system, Dwipantara means islands in between (Nusantara in old Javanese). It basically means Empire (Cakrawala Mandala) of the Archipelago (Dwipantara). So, a formable nation to people who’ve controlled most Indonesia archipelago is not strange and I now think it should exist.

The problem now is the name. I am against naming it simply “Nusantara” because it strictly refers to “outside/outer islands”. It is like calling United Kingdom in 19th century as “Ireland” or “India”. However, adopting Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara scheme and name the formable nation “Cakrawala Mandala Nusantara”, I think makes it acceptable because no longer it meant “Archipelago”, it now means “The Empire of Archipelago”. It can also be named “Cakrawala Mandala” if one want to follow the naming scheme of “Great Britain” or “United State”.

The flag I suggest here isn’t something that was used at the time (because again, aside from Majapahit, there was no archipelago wide empire), but I choose this design (that I find from google) because I find that blue, black, white, yellow/gold, and red are colors that usually used as flag color by local kingdoms.

--Desc: Long ago, Shingasari dreamt of a unified archipelago, Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara. Majapahit fulfilled that dream, but it was too weak to hold it. Now, a new era of has begun for an Empire that will unite and firmly hold the whole Archipelago.
Requirement: Owned Pasai, Malacca, Brunei, Palembang, Pagarruyung, Singkawang, Banjar, Makassar, Samarinda, Kalapa, Surabaya, Ternate, Tidore, Bacan, Jailolo, and Halmahera
- Change Country to Cakrawala Mandala Nusantara
- Gain 25 Prestige
- Get “Increased Centralization” modifier for 10 years
- Get Permanent claims on provinces in regions: Malacca, Indonesia, and The Moluccas

The new idea I have for Cakrawala Mandala is to better represent the goal of most nations in Indonesia at the time. They wished to control the trade, obeyed by other nation in the region, but they didn’t desire direct ownership or absolute control over their overseas territory. In this sense, Cakrawala Mandala is better represented similar to “Unify Islam” or “Confirm Thalassocracy” decision, where the country don’t need to control a bunch of provinces in a region, but instead the country can just indirectly control a few of them, and the bonus isn’t permanent claims to a whole bunch of new provinces, but several strong modifiers that would help the country in long run.

Proclaim Cakrawala Mandala
--Desc: Long ago, Shingasari dreamt of a unified archipelago, Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara. Majapahit fulfilled that dream, but it was too weak to hold it. Now, a new era of has begun for an Empire that will finally make the dream a reality and hold it.
Requirement:
- Have 51% share of trade power in Siam, Malacca, Java Sea, Moluccan, and Philippines Trade Node
- Owned or have subject that own: Pasai, Malacca, Ayutthaya, Kalapa, Surabaya, Sambas, Brunei, Banjar, Makassar, Manila
- Have at least 200 Administrative Power, 200 Diplomatic Power, 200 Military Power
- Have at least 75 Prestige
Effect:
- Becomes an Empire
- Lose 100 Administrative Power, 100 Diplomatic Power, 100 Military Power
- +0.5 Yearly Navy Tradition
- −10% Ship Cost
- +10% Global Trade Power
- +1 Merchants
- +1 Colonist

New Trade Nodes
huZUf2i.png

The current trade nodes setup in Indonesia is working, but too simplistic. The current setup represents how historically, the trade in archipelago is about transferring spices harvested in Spice Islands (and surrounding archipelago) toward Malacca’s trade hub. However, in 15th to 18th centuries, with the end of Srivijaya, Majapahit, and finally Malacca, there was a struggle to control the trade in between. Makassar, Banjar, Banten, Demak, Surabaya, and then the Dutch in Batavia, were all competing with one another to be the one controlling Java Sea. Not to mention, kingdoms within around Java sea were actively fighting over nearby islands for influence. Bali supported Blambangan against Mataram’s invasion, Makassar supported Lombok against Bali colonizer, etc. So, I propose a new trade node to represent this: Java Sea Trade Node.

Java Sea Trade Node
Consist of Areas:
- Banten
- Cirebon
- Sunda
- Mataram
- Surabaya
- Blambangan
- South Peninsula
- Toraja
- Kalimantan
- Banjar
- Kutai
- Berau

Incoming:
- The Moluccas
- Australia

Outgoing:
- Malacca
- Zanzibar

Trade Company Name:
Javanese Charter

Detail:
As has been said, Java Sea Trade Node is to represent the historical competition that happened between kingdoms surrounding Java Sea. Its connection from The Moluccas to Malacca is to represent its role as connector between spice producer in Spice Islands and market in Malacca strait. Australia connection is because Bugis people has been recorded to have been visited and traded with North Australian people. With South Peninsula area and Toraja area (where majority of Bugis people resided in) now under Java Sea Trade Node, the connection between Australia and The Moluccas no longer exist.

Finally, Java Sea Trade Node is connected with Zanzibar Trade Node to represent some (especially the Dutch) attempt to bypass harbors in Malacca strait. The Dutch had colony in South Africa at the time, and they’ve been traveled directly across Indian Ocean from Batavia to Cape in route home to Netherland. It also represents control over Sunda Strait, which has always been alternative route for those who don’t want to use Malacca Strait.

Malacca Trade Node
Malacca lost a lot of provinces, but they gain about a dozen provinces in Sumatra and Borneo. It also no longer has connection to Zanzibar, instead connected to Java Sea, thus Bengal is its only Outgoing node.

The Moluccas Trade Node
It is now connected to Java Sea Trade Node but lost connection with Australia Trade Node. It also lost huge chunk of provinces in Java and Sulawesi, so I propose to gives several Australia Trade Node’s provinces (such those in New Guinea and possibly Polynesia) to compensate. Australia trade node is a lot bigger, so losing some of its provinces wouldn’t hurt. I also suggest, though maybe a bit too controversial, to have Lima Trade Node to be connected with The Moluccas Trade Node.

The primary reason is for gameplay reason. As of now, both North and Central America has connection with Asia (Alaska -> Geren and Mexico -> Nippon respectively), but South America does not. By having trade connection, Asian Nation can have substantial trade income from their colonies, and if you have El Dorade, they can use the Treasure Fleet mechanic.

Without the link to Asia, South America is become the least desirable colonial territory for Asian, despite being the closest to Indonesia (aside of Australia). Aside from gaining colonialism institution, there is no real reason to colonize South America. By having Lima -> The Moluccas connection, this will make South America on par in term of benefit to North and Central America.

However, there is possible historical reason to have Lima -> The Moluccas connection. There is possible historical trade activity between the Pacific and South America people. Sweet Potato is a plant of South America origin, but has been widespread across Pacific (up to New Guinea, which is within The Moluccas Trade Node) since at least 1000 CE. If the hypothesis that Sweet Potato spread is part of an existing trade activity between South America and Polynesian (and those who lived within areas represented by The Moluccas Trade Node) is acceptable (or at least plausible), I think it should be fine to have connection between Lima and The Moluccas.

I've suggested to change several seas in Southeast Asia into inland sea before here, so I'll just quote myself.

Geographically speaking, it is an inland sea (at least according to wikipedia, the South China Sea is one) while for gameplay purpose, it would help Southeast Asia nations (especially those in Indonesia region) to be better at trade at early time of the game (something that historically they rely as main source of income)...

As of now, the ship spent more time in dock than patrolling and that reduce income a lot...

EDIT: Additional link here

The sea provinces I suggest to change are marked with red dot:
dIMzm0U.jpg

Last edited:
What about impassable terrain in Indonesia?
The only candidate for impassable terrain I could think of (outside the already wasteland Kalimantan) would be Bukit Barisan Mountain Range in Sumatra, but I don't think it should be impassable for two reasons:
1. The space is already limited as is (this is an island afterall, not a continent), so instead of being impassable, it would be better to have it as uncolonized to discourage people from using it to get from one side to the other
2. As far as I know, armies can actually passed it

That is also a lot of provinces. Some of them are very small.
Some, especially those in Spice Islands, might require some zoom in, but I don't think they are too small to comfortably play with.

And while combined the number of provinces across Indonesia is quite a lot, I think the number of new provinces for each island aren't too many.
For example, Italian Peninsula (without Sicily) has about 24+ provinces, while Sumatra island (without the smaller islands surrounding it) has only 16 provinces, despite being more or less the same size (in fact, Sumatra is bigger), so I give it 6 new provinces to make it has 22 provinces to make the provinces differences a bit closer.

Last edited:
WmUe8Df.png

It would be nice to have a narrow strait between province 15 and Bali so you don't need transport ships to cross the shorter-than-2-miles distance. I'm not sure how this one slipped past the developers.

WmUe8Df.png

It would be nice to have a narrow strait between province 15 and Bali so you don't need transport ships to cross the shorter-than-2-miles distance. I'm not sure how this one slipped past the developers.
It used to have strait (I am not sure which patch), so I chalk it as developer oversight or they do it for balance purpose. Maybe they just need to have a dev play as Majapahit or Sunda to realize the inconvenience.

Looks awsome also needs events and mechanics relating to the conversion to islam in the region
For the conversion to Islam, I use the "Muslim Merchant Estate" to represent it.
The detail is in the "Misc." part, but the TL;DR version: The Muslim Merchant estate, if they own a province and their loyalty isn't high enough, will trigger event to convert a province they own or province neighboring the province they own to Islam.

I wish to write more event suggestions, but I don't think I have enough skill to write a good description for the event.

Last edited:
Damn I've been working on an Indonesia too, and it's suprising how similar our maps ended up (especially Sumatra):

mRdlZwq.jpg

New Nations:
Aceh (Sumatra)
Peureulak (Sumatra)
Toba (Sumatra)
Aru (Sumatra)
Jambi (Sumatra)
Palembang (Sumatra)
Lampung (Sumatra)
Perak (Malaya)
Pahang (Malaya)
Ganu (Malaya)
Sambas (Borneo)
Galuh (Java, PU under Sunda)
Bima (Lesser Sunda Islands)
Manggrai (Lesser Sunda Islands)
Solor (Lesser Sunda Islands)
Wehali (Lesser Sunda Islands)
Hitu (Maluku Islands)
Bacan (Maluku Islands)
Jailolo (Maluku Islands)
Wajo (Sulawesi)
Majene (Sulawesi)
Banggai (Sulawesi)
Maguindanao (Phillipines)
Madyas (Phillipines)
M-ai (Phillipines)
Sulu (Phillipines)
Tondo (Phillipines)
Pangasinan (Phillipines)

vkhOSSP.jpg
U7qu64I.jpg
HMoyOw4.jpg
CivbRNP.jpg

Damn I've been working on an Indonesia too, and it's suprising how similar our maps ended up (especially Sumatra):
Ahaha, I think it because anyone with interest in Indonesia would see the current map setup and asked, "What? Where's the inland provinces? They know that Borneo is as big as modern German right?", and because of Sumatra's shape, more likely than not the place for new provinces would be in similar location.

And that's an interesting map. I don't have enough knowledge for Lesser Sunda Island (books I owned so far mostly focused on the western part), so I mostly gloss over it. But it seems they have more kingdoms than I thought they did. I wish the Devs see your map too.

*Suggestions*
I'm so glad someone is finally making this suggestion. I've been waiting for it for a long time! It's really good but I feel like you went a little bit overboard here and there.. :p

More specifically on pontianak(inside Borneo), some parts of sumatra and sulawesi

Last edited:
I read the thread and found it interesting. I looked at your sources as well as some related ones and had some thoughts about a few of the posts. Specifically, I want to voice some thoughts on the posts for Sumatra and the last one.

From the post on Sumatra, the part on the ruler of Palembang, Arya Damar, caught my attention. From my reading, the adipati (duke) of Palembang in 1444 was Swan Liong, to whom the name of Arya Damar is attributed. Arya Damar was also a name for a contemporary of Gajah Mada, so Ario Abdillah having that name but being a different person should be sensible. Back to Swan Liong, he was the son of king Wikramawardhana of Majapahit and a Chinese concubine, and he governed the vassal state of Palembang since 1443. In summary, Swan Liong, or Arya Damar, is the ruler of Palembang at the start as a subject of Majapahit.

Also, from what I read, Majapahit had Jambi as a vassal state until its collapse. Jambi would afterwards be independent until becoming a vassal of Pagaruyung. Additionally, Aceh and Deli being added is good, while Siak sort of represents the city-states that were eventually conquered by Malacca.

Another thing is that the province names for Maluku are shuffled a bit in the descriptions. For consistency, Province 2 is Bacan and Province 3 is Jailolo.

For the last post, I do hope the Mandala mechanic that you described is included. The Mandala was fundamental throughout the East Indies region. The political structure for subject nations differs from Europe in China and its surrounding regions, so I hope they add this sort of flavor to the East Indies region (and the Tartary region also needs some, too). One thought about the Mandala is how Merchant Kingdoms could be suzerain over uncolonized provinces, sort of like the province of Bangka. For example, Brunei would control Palawan then establish the Port Kingdom of Maynila. So, this is an idea with some understanding of the terms Mandala and Kedatuan.

Last, inland seas in this area would make sense. Some sea tiles could be shifted, too (like extending the South China Sea tile to Natuna). Inland seas around China and Japan are already present, so there shouldn't be a problem without any reason.

I hope I conveyed my thoughts well enough. Keep producing great ideas and I look forward to seeing the suggestions fleshed out and developed.

As far as I understand, Paradox does not expand region as far as they could because of two reasons. First, they want the European to colonize the region so giving too much nations to play would limit European access. Two, is performance issue. Now, I can’t do anything about the second issue and trust Paradox can do something about the performance, so I am going to continue this suggestion under assumption that Paradox can keep improve the game performance to accommodate new provinces and tags. As for the first issue, I think most people do not realize how big Indonesia is.
I no longer believe in performance issues being a limitation now that they've added so many tags in Japan.

I love it! Your knowledge about Indonesian history is impressive! I am Indonesian myself and was thinking if there is - even - anybody who could done an Indonesian war strayegy mod/games. I think the gameplay is already balanced, but I just felt somewhat weird seeing your Kalimantan's map. Lanfang and Tanjungpura were never that big nor influential enough to be included. And I think the Lesser Sunda Island is still not explored as much as the other region. I think a better name for Oganilir is Ogan or Komering, representing the main river in the area (Ilir means estuary, Oganilir means Ogan estuary). Pasuruan is a modern name. I prefer to use "Kahuripan" or "Jenggala". Other than that, I need that Mandala mechanic to be implemented!