• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarkS00N

Major
84 Badges
Sep 20, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Preface:
Before I begin, I would like to note that I am not professional historian, just a person with some interest in history and love video games. Because of that, my impression on history of Indonesia (and its precise geography) might be wrong, incorrect, or incomplete which most certainly will affect my suggestion here. So, I welcome people with more knowledge than I do to correct my suggestion when it is wrong, or improve it if you see it can be improved more.

In particular, the date for a lot of kings’/sultans’ reign isn’t clear because of different calendar or oral tradition doesn’t preserve the date well, so I take liberties to determine when they began ruling. If I can get my hand on precise date, I’ll put it in my suggestion, but most of my suggestions will only consisted of coronation year.

I also would like to stress that my priorities are gameplay (or fun) first, history in close second, even if I explain a lot about historical background on why I made my suggestion. Because of that, I might simplify or sideline certain elements of history if I think it will make a better game experience.

Last, I neither have enough modding skill, nor the time to learn how to mod, also I am not an artist, so my provinces’ suggestion would be presented using Microsoft Paint edit, and a lot of flag suggestion will use unedited modern symbols/flags, so apologize if it turns out ugly.

Now with those out of the way, here are my suggestions.

TL;DR: Indonesia archipelago in game right now is lackluster compared to other part of the world, and it can be improved a lot more.

Of all region in EU4 right now, Indonesia archipelago is among the least developed region in game, especially after Indochina get a good dose of event from Common Sense DLC with its Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism events. And while the location can use a lot more events and other flavors, I am however going to focus a bit more on the provinces and nations setup instead of events here, because I find the lack of province variety and few number of playable nations, along with placement of existing nation in the game, hinder the enjoyment the most. Though if I can, I will give suggestions on event and mechanics.

As far as I understand, Paradox does not expand region as far as they could because of two reasons. First, they want the European to colonize the region so giving too much nations to play would limit European access. Two, is performance issue. Now, I can’t do anything about the second issue and trust Paradox can do something about the performance, so I am going to continue this suggestion under assumption that Paradox can keep improve the game performance to accommodate new provinces and tags. As for the first issue, I think most people do not realize how big Indonesia is.

rXEaHu2.jpg

Indonesia is big enough to have several more provinces, to have a dozen more nations, and still have a lot of provinces for European to colonize. And to be honest, European didn’t colonize it like in America, Australia, or South Africa. They gain foothold either by conquered a city that later used as headquarter or bought a strip of land to build a fort which then used as headquarter. The majority of European control here was achieved by using local ruler as proxy. But at the same time, many of the areas of the archipelago is consisted of tribes and villages, which perfectly acceptable to be represented as uncolonized because the line dividing territory of these tribes is hard to draw and there is not enough space to do many of them (like at one point Bali should be divided in to 9 kingdoms and I don’t think that is possible to be drawn in game).

My problem about geography usually steam from the bigger islands, for example Sumatra, which is the sixth largest island in the world, double the size of Honshu (the main Japanese island), bigger than Great Britain, and bigger than even Italian Peninsula. Yet in game, the island doesn’t have any inland provinces. I can understand why the island doesn’t have as many provinces (not enough historical document, the island’s infrastructure is practically backwater compared to Japan or Great Britain in modern days), but at the time it is at the heart of one of the most lucrative trade route in the world, so at the very least it should have higher number of provinces than it currently has.

Geography aside, I would explain more what I find problematic with current setup, from historical perspective, within each part. For this overview, I will explain what I find detrimental to gameplay with its current setup.

First, is the problem of flow, or lack of it. Each island is isolated from one another, which isn’t a problem if not for the fact there are only two to three nations at most in each island. This means in one war a player usually already able to conquer the island they start in. Now because they start in island, they need to prepare enough transport if they want to invade other island, or they can wait to get exploration/expansion idea which mean waiting for decades before doing anything else. Waiting and preparing aren’t problematic in itself (down time is necessary in game), the problem came from the awkward pause because in this place you wait not because you are exhausted or planning something, you wait because there is nothing else you can do.

Paradox introduce several mechanics to reduce these awkward pauses. You can send condottiere to neighboring nation, sent ship for exploration, or managing your country through estate and edict. But most of these mechanics don’t function well if you start in Indonesia archipelago. Sumatra has Malaya Peninsula to send their condottiere, but other islands can’t, because they don’t have access to other nation countries (being in island and all). Ship for exploration hit your economy because your economy relied much from trade, and these light ship is necessary to protect your trade. Estate doesn’t have many option to be placed (because there are so few provinces), though I think edict works just fine.

Second, related to the flow, the disconnected placement of nations already in game ultimately limited the option of what Ideas that a nation can take in early game. Your first Idea will be exploration, because you need to colonize provinces if you want to continue conquering, because you can no longer annex or vassalize using Trade Conflict. And even when you could attack/annex/vassalize through other means, you most likely will miss the reduction cost for coring that having claim gives (which makes it unoptimal).

Third, the amount and shape of the provinces make the game monotonous. The biggest offender here is Borneo, or as I called it, the roller coaster island. In 1 v 1 fight with no fort, if you tried to chase your enemy, you won’t be able to. The constant use of jungle terrain meant your army and the enemy’s army will move at the same speed and because all provinces are coastal, there simply no way to out maneuver one another or use short cut to moves ahead of the enemy. All other islands face similar problem, though usually to a lesser degree, such as if you are chased by enemy, you can’t maneuver your way out because there are not many provinces you can use to slip away.

These are, to me, why I make this suggestion. I like history, but if the setup is good enough, even if the setup isn’t ideal, I can appreciate it (which is why I am thankful for Art of War update). But as the world is getting better, the lack of variety and details in Indonesia Archipelago, and how mechanic available unable to be used well in here, become more and more apparent. So, I hope this suggestion can improved the gameplay in this part of the world.

For the list of kings/sultans, I mostly used list provided by this website: http://sultansinindonesieblog.wordpress.com/

For flags, I mostly used flags presented in this website: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/id_prlst.html

For map references, I mostly used the maps provided in this website: http://www.indonesianhistory.info/

My source for history in the region I used:
- “A History of Modern Indonesia, ca. 1200 to the present” by M. C. Ricklefs
- “Southeast Asia in the Age of Commerce Vol. 1 & Vol. 2” by Anthony Reid
- "Lonely Planet Bali & Lombok" by Ryan Berkmoes
- "The Heritage of Arung Palakka: A History of South Sulawesi (Celebes) in the Seventeenth Century" by Leonard Y. Andaya
- “Kepulauan Rempah-rempah: Perjalanan Sejarah Maluku Utara 1250-1950” by M. Adnan Amal
- "Sejarah Lengkap Gumi Sasak" by Ratmaja Lalu et al.
- This fascinating explanation from r/AskHistory: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/5o8avu/how_did_indonesia_and_malaysia_become/

And other sources I find from google and Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I love it! Your knowledge about Indonesian history is impressive!
Thanks. :)

but I just felt somewhat weird seeing your Kalimantan's map. Lanfang and Tanjungpura were never that big nor influential enough to be included.
The main reason for their inclusion is because I believe their addition would make it more fun, add more strategical value, and smoothen the flow of conquest in the region. Right now, you have to take exploration or expansion in order to attack Kalimantan or Java if you start in Sumatra, and vice versa. By adding tags on West Kalimantan that connected to Sumatra by sea tile, you can fabricate claim on each island without have to use colonist to colonize nearby uncolonized province.

Plus, Lanfang is already in game in later start date. And I argue Tanjungpura is a major power in West Kalimantan. Many of existing kingdoms in West Kalimantan (like Sambas and Landak) pay tribute to Tanjungpura, the island as a whole is called Tanjungnegara/Tanjungpura by Majapahit, at the time of Demak they also become tributary of Demak, and as part of Banjar's bid to rule over the whole island, they invade Tanjungpura and exert tribute from it. Tanjungpura's influence maybe never gone beyond Kalimantan, but I don't think that is a requirement as there are many minor powers already in game.

And I think the Lesser Sunda Island is still not explored as much as the other region.
Yeah, I am still researching on this region. It is rather hard, but I think I can squeeze some information if I use Bali's or Makassar's history as both of them historically compete to influence this region.

I think a better name for Oganilir is Ogan or Komering, representing the main river in the area (Ilir means estuary, Oganilir means Ogan estuary).
Good point, I might edit it later.

Pasuruan is a modern name. I prefer to use "Kahuripan" or "Jenggala". Other than that, I need that Mandala mechanic to be implemented!
Several of my sources mentioned Pasuruan by its name though (when talking about Sultan Agung invasion of Surabaya), so I think the name already exist this time period (though maybe it has a more archaic form). I also specifically use Pasuruan because I want to have a "port kingdom" (like Demak or Gresik) east of Surabaya. If I use Kahuripan or Jenggala, it would represent a more inland kingdom instead.

I can definitely get behing adding an estuary modifier to Surabaya Province. :)
=> https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ortant-centre-of-trade.1032650/#post-23019344

I'd also like to point you to a thread that touches a possible wastelands in Sumatra (where you put provinces 1, 2)
=> https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ains-in-southeast-asia.1005471/#post-22601641

I believe, there's also oppurtunity in adding one or two (small) wastelands to Java. One where you've put your provinces 1,2, 18 and 19 (maybe the wasteland could separate these?). Anopther, where your provinces 10, 11, 12 and 17 touch (maybe taking a stretch of the south-eastern corner of 10?).

Java_Locator_Topography.png

And while I'm at it hinting to other threads, let's not forget this one about adding new Indonesian tags https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...a-1444-without-new-tags.864230/#post-20223567 (don't let yourself be confused by the thread title, however...;)) Maybe you can comment?

By the way: shouldn't there be a strait in betwean Java and Bali?

I'd also like to propose an event for Majapahit to "rediscover" the legacy of buddhism as wittnessed by the remains of the temple Borobudur (a UNESCO world heritage site) and convert to buddhism or at least to restore it and get some +10 prestige and some +1 tolerance of heretics (if Majapahit is hindu) or +1 tolerance of heathens (if it is Muslim by then). Of course it would cost a fair amount of ducats and a modest amount of admin MP (and add +4 provincial unrest, if the province is muslim). I'd also like to see it added to the map then as a "national monument". :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur

And then there was also this interesting thread about splitting the chinese tech group, so that south-east Asia / Indonesia would get their own unit types. I believe TrinTragula asked the community to contribute there so to ease research. Given your apparent knowledge of / interest in the region, I'd guess you'd have things to contribute?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/splitting-the-chinese-tech-group.1005814/

Last edited:
I can definitely get behing adding an estuary modifier to Surabaya Province. :)
=> https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ortant-centre-of-trade.1032650/#post-23019344
Thanks. :)

I'd also like to point you to a thread that touches a possible wastelands in Sumatra (where you put provinces 1, 2)
=> https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ains-in-southeast-asia.1005471/#post-22601641

I believe, there's also oppurtunity in adding one or two (small) wastelands to Java. One where you've put your provinces 1,2, 18 and 19 (maybe the wasteland could separate these?). Anopther, where your provinces 10, 11, 12 and 17 touch (maybe taking a stretch of the south-eastern corner of 10?).

Java_Locator_Topography.png

To be honest, I contemplated adding wasteland to these islands, but as I draw the provinces and do more reading, I come to conclusion that it would be better to not add wasteland. There are three reasons for that:

1. There is already limited spaces. Unlike Kalimantan, most islands are elongated, which limit where the provinces can be located, which in turn limit how your soldier can be moved. If your starting location is somewhere else (like mainland Southeast Asia), the addition of wasteland in the archipelago might seems to be a sound idea to diversify the geographic feature. But, if you start in the archipelago, these wasteland will arbitrarily limit your gameplay. Take Kalimantan for example, as Brunei your only starting move is to attack Kutai through Tarakan (I marked it as province 17). You have option to circle the island and attack from Samarinda (province 13), but it has so many disadvantageous (you might be attacked by natives, you can't defend attack from Tarakan, etc.) that it pratically a false option. And this is Kalimantan, the bulkiest island in the archipelago where they should've had some inland provinces. Giving Sumatra or Java wasteland would most likely doomed them to the same problem, so I don't think it is a good idea.

2. Those supposed wastelands were actually either habitable or passable by armies, unlike Kalimantan's wasteland. It is easy to see the topography and think certain area to be unimportant due to its elevation, but I think we need to also see historical context to determine whether certain places could be classified as wasteland or not. In Sumatra, province 1 and 2 is the location of Toba Lake. This is the original home for Batak people who by 1444 had establish Aru and Barus sultanate. They might be not be united by 1444, but they have consistent interaction with their coastal brothers (and later on, Atjeh). And by late 1700s to early 1800s, there was a kingdom encompassing Toba lake and Barus, ruled by Sisingamangaraja dynasty (whose last king, Sisingamangaraja XII, defeated by the Dutch at late 1800s). Province 1 also home to Gayo people (close relative to Batak people) who have close connection to Pasai and Peureulak.

The one in Java also not suitable to be a wasteland because it is perfectly passable. The one in West Java is where modern day Bandung located, and it is shaped like a bowl, where high mountains surrounds it, but the center plain has a much lower elevation. It also has four narrow corridor that connected it to other provinces. Not to mention Java province 1, is where Pakuan (the capital city of Sunda) is located. Make it a wasteland would make it ahistorical. Likewise, the one in East Java is perfectly passable. Sultan Agung, in his invasion of Batavia, use that corridor to transport his armies.

3. The historical dynamic in Western Archipalego was, broadly speaking, of those Inland vs Coastal powers. By adding wasteland in the islands, we might lost the potential for this dynamic to happen as there is less place for inland kingdom. If the inland provinces is uncolonized instead, it would allow player to choose whether they'll focus on its coastal territory for wealth from trade (just like what happened historically in Sumatra) or secure nearby inland territory for resources and manpower.

TL;DR: Aside from aesthetic purpose, I think it is better to not adding wasteland.

And while I'm at it hinting to other threads, let's not forget this one about adding new Indonesian tags https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...a-1444-without-new-tags.864230/#post-20223567 (don't let yourself be confused by the thread title, however...;)) Maybe you can comment?

Before I make this suggestion, I've been commenting on several threads that Paradox could easily filled current Indonesia's region with what they already have in game. So, I agree with neondt's suggestion (I also used his mod back then). Heck, in the Art of War's dev diary, I was opposing adding new tags because there are many unused tags already in game. :confused:

However, I create this suggestion exactly to move beyond what already exist. As Paradox keep improving every part of the world, I think Indonesia deserve another round of improvement.

By the way: shouldn't there be a strait in betwean Java and Bali?

At the time of Mandate of Heaven (when I take this screenshot), Java and Bali has no strait in between them. Which is strange because several patches previously, they did have strait connection. Haven't played with Third Rome yet, so I don't know whether the strait is back or not. I don't know if it is intentional or not, so I left it as how I find when I last play it.

I'd also like to propose an event for Majapahit to "rediscover" the legacy of buddhism as wittnessed by the remains of the temple Borobudur (a UNESCO world heritage site) and convert to buddhism or at least to restore it and get some +10 prestige and some +1 tolerance of heretics (if Majapahit is hindu) or +1 tolerance of heathens (if it is Muslim by then). Of course it would cost a fair amount of ducats and a modest amount of admin MP (and add +4 provincial unrest, if the province is muslim). I'd also like to see it added to the map then as a "national monument". :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur

Borobudur isn't unknown at the time of Majapahit. Hayam Wuruk's country tour involve visiting remnants of Borobudur complex. So Majapahit might not be the best one to have the event or decision. It became completely abandoned after Majapahit's fall though, so maybe the event or decision should be available for Javanese kingdoms that appear after the fall of Majapahit.

And then there was also this interesting thread about splitting the chinese tech group, so that south-east Asia / Indonesia would get their own unit types. I believe TrinTragula asked the community to contribute there so to ease research. Given your apparent knowledge of / interest in the region, I'd guess you'd have things to contribute?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/splitting-the-chinese-tech-group.1005814/

I do plan to create a new tech group, but I am stucked at its limit (should it only for Indonesia? Would austronesia be a better group? But what about Maluku or Champa (one is not austronesian while the other is closer to its mainland neighbour)? etc.) and what its units will be, just like those in that thread. I still need more reading before I can create a new tech group.

Though I am sure as hell will named the highest tech infantry as Mangkunegaran Legion. :D

Removing protectorates was the biggest mistake they ever did. Colonists doesn't represent colonialism outside of the americas particularly well.

Yeah, I am still researching on this region. It is rather hard, but I think I can squeeze some information if I use Bali's or Makassar's history as both of them historically compete to influence this region.
I can offer you some direction on this if you want

The main player in the area was called Bima (or Mbojo in their native tounge). They were a hindu-buddhist kingdom situated on Sumbawa and were one of the main rivals of Makassar. They also had most of Flores under their control by a series of small tribes that baid tribute to them (imo vassalage is probably the best way to convey this).

East Timor also had lots of small tribes that formed a sudo federacy. One of the 2 biggest tribes, Wewiku or Wehali, would be a good tag to represent this.

I then also included the state of Solor (or Kamahalot in native), to represent the natives in and around Larantuka before portugese colonisation (and to connect all the lesser sunda nations)

This guy has put A LOT of effort into this and as I have absolutely no idea what so ever about 15th century Indonesia except for what PDX brought us, I have little to say. However, I would really like to see some of these changes implemented... If there is someone else who knows about the subject rhey can help correct some irregularities, but in general I would welcome such things.
Lots of respect from SVK

I've noticed some comments elsewhere about India needing changes, so I hope an India patch would cover the Indian cultural sphere, including Southeast Asia.

Also, I was thinking the Straits of Johor sea tile could be split since it seems elongated, reaching from Rokan in Sumatra to Pontianak on Borneo. A new sea tile would take the eastern half of the current tile, reaching from Riau and Lingga in the west to Bangka in the south and to Pontianak in the east.

It would basically cover part of the Riau Islands province of Indonesia, but it could also include the Natuna Islands and the Natuna Sea, which is part of the Coast of Sarawak sea tile, to reach the whole province.

It's just a thought I had after reading about the areas of the sea around Indonesia. And I hope with the new unique governments, merchant kingdoms are considered.

Can definitly agree with the need for a patch for greater India. After doing MoH and CoC this would be one of the most logical choices for next patch or dlc. Seeing how it's the last major area of Asia left to rework except tartary. A free tartary patch and then a India dlc and asia should be done for a long time to come

I love the idea of Merchant Kingdoms and the suggestions for modelling Islamic trade influence by estates and so on. These things alone would add a huge amount to playing as a spice islands nation.

Anyway, as a native Indonesian, I never heard the usage of "Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara" to refer ourself. Instead, we just use "Nusantara".
"Dwipa" is an older term (used by Singhasari) which later replaced by "Nusa" (used by Majapahit onward).

I am also native Indonesia, and while in modern time it is fine to use Nusantara interchangeably with Indonesia, the usage of Nusantara to refer to Indonesian archipelago is about as recent as Indonesia's name itself (used by founding fathers as historical basis for Indonesia nation). At the time of Majapahit however, "Nusantara" is used to denote Majapahit's subjects or tributaries, which means Madura, Bali, and Java itself is excluded from "Nusantara". Thus, using "Nusantara" for this time period as a tag name for a united Indonesia archipelago (or Maritime Southeast Asia) is similar to refer to "Holy Roman Empire" (or any other empire for that matter) as "The Vassal" or "The Tributary".

Which is why I prefer to use "Cakrawala Mandala Nusantara", or even just "Cakrawala Mandala", for "Mandala" more or less means "Realm" or "Kingdom" which means "Cakrawala Mandala" is more or less means "Realm Across the Horizon" aka "The Empire".

Cakrawala Mandala, as I mentioned, was a term proposed by Kertanegara of Singhasari to refer to his dream of an empire encompassing the whole archipelago, so it has historical basis to be used, and I believe more fitting for the time period than "Nusantara".

Spicing up the Spice-Islands? I'm all for it!

Nothing important, but looking at the sea tiles again, I notice that the Straits of Malacca sea tile does not reach the actual province of Malacca. This is an aesthetic view on something small, but instead of my previous thought on making a new sea tile, shifting the borders would suffice. Having the border extend to Malacca while Malacca's port still opens to the Straits of Johor would be nice.

Malacca Strait.png
The border in red is the new border while the yellow-green border was just to make the tiles look smoother (it could be better), but it's a little extra.

Well, now that the new patch is on the way, I hope the propagate religion trade policy and other mechanics add something to the region. With what seems to be two large patches per year, I hope 2018 can be the year for EU4: Asura's Wrath Southeast Asia and also India.

So here is an update for my Indonesian suggestion. Some are new and big, but many are tweaks to my previous suggestion. You can see most of these changes in the first page, but I'll copy the bigger updates here. The biggest update is probably additional province, tags, and culture for Nusa Tenggara (perhaps more well known internationally as Lesser Sunda Island).

New Maps:

dDbA14j.png

dDbA14j.png

On the other side of the archipelago, there is Nusa Tenggara, also mostly known internationally as “Lesser Sunda Island”. Nusa Tenggara itself meant Southeastern Islands, referring to its general location which is in the southeastern part of Indonesia archipelago. While having no strong kingdom that able to match the like of Majapahit, Makassar, or Ternate, the archipelago is very unique culture wise because unlike any other part of the archipelago where either the Austronesian people or Melanesian people become the dominant culture, here the Austronesian and Melanesian are more heavily mixed.

Though as Paradox don’t want to have one province culture, I suppose it needs to be simplified in game, so the western part is more Austronesian (so should be part of Malay culture group) while the eastern part is more Melanesian (so should be Papuan as it currently in game).

At 1444, the archipelago is consisted mostly of small kingdoms, and under Majapahit influence. However, as Majapahit’s power wane, the western part of the archipelago consolidated and each island would have different kingdom that can claim to rule each island, and even beyond.

At the western most island, and the closest to Java, is Bali (Province 3). After the fall of Majapahit, Bali receives an influx of Javanese noble, and reach a new height of power. They now seek to expand to either the west and reclaim Java for Hindu, or expand their influence and population to Lombok in the east.

Lombok (Province 4) at the eve of Majapahit’s end is divided in to at least four kingdoms, but once Labuan Lombok moved its capital to Selaparang village and become Selaparang Sultanate, it grows into the most powerful and influential kingdom in Lombok. At its height, Selaparang’s royalty is involved in Sumbawa’s kingdom dynasties. When Bali invade Lombok, Selaparang is the one that able to face and repel Bali’s forces, with the help of Makassar.

The final island of the western part is Sumbawa. In EU4 timeline, the island was divided in to two parts, Samawa Sultanate in the west and Mbojo Sultanate (also known as Bima) in the east. Which is why the island is now divided in to Sumbawa (Province 5) and new province, Bima (Province 1). There was a third kingdom, Dompu, which is located in between of Samawa and Mbojo, but there is not enough land to have them in game. There was also a fourth kingdom, from a very different group of people, Tambora. But because the kingdom and its people are utterly destroyed by Tambora eruption in 1815, we knew very little of them.

After the fall of Majapahit, Makassar comes in to fill in the power vacuum. They convert the kingdom’s nobility to Islam and replace those who stayed animist with those who are muslim. When Bali invade Lombok, Samawa Sultanate is involved in helping their Lombok brethren. Mbojo on the other hand expand their influence to nearby Flores island.

The eastern part of the archipelago unfortunately didn’t have a more consolidated kingdom like their western counterpart. Still, once the European (specifically the Portuguese) eastern Nusa Tenggara became unique because this part of the archipelago became heavily Christianized instead of Islamized like most part of the archipelago. Larantuka is among few Christian kingdom in the archipelago, and I envisioned it to be spawnable like Manganitu to the north. It was located at the tail end of Flores, and its influence mostly spread to the smaller island to its immediate east. And to accommodate the new kingdom and event that will spawn it, I propose a new uncolonized province here, Larantuka (Province 2).

Aside from having Larantuka, the other change I propose is to have Sumba (province 4) to be part of Timor, because it doesn’t make sense to group it with Belitung island and Nias archipelago in Sumatra (they are hundred kilometers apart, separated by two massive islands). I also propose to change the Lesser Sunda Island area’s name in to Nusa Tenggara and add Bima in to it.

New Provinces:
1)
Name: Bima
Terrain: Coastline
Culture: Nusatenggaranese
Trade Goods: Dye
Special Modifier: Strait to Flores

2)
Name: Larantuka
Terrain: Coastline
Culture: Papuan
Trade Goods: -
Special Modifier: Strait to East Timor

Old Provinces and Its Change (if any):
3)
Old Name: Bali
New Name: Bali
Old Status: Owned by Majapahit
New Status: Owned by Bali
Old Terrain: Coastline
New Terrain: Coastline
Old Culture: Javanese
New Culture: Nusatenggaranese
Old Trade Goods: Cloth
New Trade Goods: Cloth
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok
New Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok

4)
Old Name: Lombok
New Name: Lombok
Old Status: Uncolonized
New Status: Owned by Selaparang
Old Culture: Papuan
Old Trade Goods: -
New Trade Goods: Cloth
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Bali, Strait to Sumbawa
New Special Modifier: Strait to Bali, Strait to Sumbawa

5)
Old Name: Sumbawa
New Name: Sumbawa
New Status: Owned by Samawa
New Trade Goods: Livestock
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Lombok, Strait Flores

6)
Old Name: Sumba
New Name: Sumba
New Status: Uncolonized
New Culture: Papuan
New Trade Goods: -
Old Special Modifier: -
New Special Modifier: -

7)
Old Name: Flores
New Name: Flores
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Timor, Strait to Lombok

8)
Old Name: West Timor
New Name: West Timor
Old Special Modifier: -
New Special Modifier: -

9)
Old Name: East Timor
New Name: East Timor
Old Special Modifier: Strait to Flores
New Special Modifier: Strait to Larantuka

- Nusa Tenggara (Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Bima)
- Timor (Flores, Larantuka, East Timor, West Timor, Sumba)

- Nusatenggarenese (Primary Nations: Bali)
- Papuan: (Primary Nations: Larantuka)

t0mCsaD.gif

Notes: Selaparang was the strongest kingdom in Lombok at the end of Majapahit’s reign. It was started when Labuan Lombok kingdom moved its capital to Selaparang village, and by the time of Bali invasion, it was the strongest kingdom/sultanate to resist Bali’s forces. At its height, the royal family sire the head of Samawa and Mbojo sultanate. Unfortunately, unlike Samawa and Mbojo who survived to this day, Selaparang is destroyed by Bali’s forces, so it is rather hard to find who rule when for how long.

Government: Merchant Kingdom
Primary Culture: Nusatenggaranese
National Ideas: Generic
Religion: Animist
Technology Group: Chinese
Capital: Lombok
Provinces:
- Lombok
Leader History:
Dynasty: Selaparang
1. Demung Mumbul: 1440
2. Indrajaya: 1500
3. Mas Panji: 1550
4. Mas Panji Anom: 1600 (around this time, the kingdom become sultanate)
5. Mas Pamayam: 30 September 1648

ql5PeWJ.jpg

Notes: Located at the western part of Sumbawa, Samawa kingdom is one of two main kingdoms in Sumbawa island. Originally animist, after the fall of Majapahit, Makassar influence fill the vacuum left and forced a change of dynasty when Dewa Awan Mas Kuning dynasty refuse to embrace Islam. Outside of Makassar, Sumbawa also has a close connection with Selaparang kingdom, as both kingdoms are muslim and Selaparang’s royalty is closely link with Sumbawa’s one. While Samawa sultanate doesn’t have far reaching influence outside Sumbawa, their close connection with Selaparang means when Bali invade Lombok, Samawa readily help Selaparang.

Capital: Sumbawa
Provinces:
- Larantuka
Leader History:
Dynasty: Dewa Awan Mas Kuning (Animist)
1. Awan Mas Kuning: 1430
2. Majarua: 1478
There is a gap of unknown ruler (at least I can’t find them) from 1597 to 1610
3. Maja Paruwa: 1610
4. Mas Goa: 1633

Dynasty: Dewa Dalam Bawa (Islam)
1. Mas Cini: 1637
2. Raja Utan: 1668
3. Harunnurrasyid I: 1674
4. Muhammad Jalaluddin I: 1701
5. Loka Ling Sampar: 1723
6. Ling Gunung Setia: 1725
7. Mapasusung Moh Kaharuddin I: 1731
8. Siti Aisyah (female): 1759
9. Hasanuddin: 1761
10. Muhammad Jalaluddin II: 1763
11. Mappacongga Mustafa: 1765
12. Harunnurrasyid II: 1776
13. Shafiyatuddin: 1791
13. Muhammad Kaharuddin II: 1795
14. Nene Ranga Mele Manyurang: 1816

ZCOgRck.jpg

Notes: Situated on the eastern part of Sumbawa island, Mbojo (also known as Bima by people outside the kingdom) has more spaces to spread its influence compared to its sister kingdom, Samawa. When Makassar comes to fill in the vacuum left by Majapahit, Mbojo converted to Islam and trusted to govern over Flores’ kingdom called Manggarai. As such, when the European comes to the island, Bima is known to exert its influence over Flores and Sumba island.

Capital: Bima
Provinces:
- Bima
Leader History:
Dynasty: Mbojo
Animist
1. Mawaä Indera Mbojo: 1440
2. Mawaä Bilmana: 1450
3. Manggampo Donggo: 1460
4. Mambora ba Pili Tuta: 1472
5. Tureli Nggampo: 1485
6. Mawaä Ndapa: 1504
7. Ruma Samara: 1519
8. Ruma Sarise: 1535
9. Ruma Mantau Asi Sawo: 1545
10. Ruma Manuru Sarei: 1563
11. Tureli Nggampo: 1570
12. Mambora di Sapega: 1590
13. Mantau Asi Peka: 1610

Islam
14. Abdul Kahir: 1640 (Only last “several months”)
15. Ambela Abu'l-Khair Sirajuddin: 1640
16. Nuruddin Abubakar Ali Syah: 1682
17. Jamaluddin Ali Syah: 1687
18. Hasanuddin Muhammad Ali Syah: 1697
19. Alauddin Muhammad Syah: 1731
20. Kamalat Syah (female): 1748
21 Abdul Kadim Muhammad Syah: 1751
22. Abdul Hamid Muhammad Syah: 1773
23. Ismail Muhammad Syah: 1817

zBgJVRj.png

Notes: A kingdom lies down under in Flores, Larantuka was one of few Christian kingdom in the archipelago and thus very isolated from another kingdoms/sultanate, though of course historically it was surrounded by smaller kingdoms/tribes. Much like Manganitu, I propose the kingdom to be spawnable by event once a Catholic European country find the Moluccas region. Unfortunately, I am unable to find its flag, so I attached Flores Timur regency symbol as reference for Paradox to make the flag.

Primary Culture: Papuan
Capital: Larantuka
Provinces:
- Larantuka
Leader History:
Dynasty: Diaz Viera de Godinho
1. Ola Ado Bala (Converted to Catholic in 1665 and rechristened as Don Fransisco Diaz Viera de Godinho): 1645
2. Don Gaspar I: 1685
3. Don Manuel: 1730
4. Don Contantino Blanterang de Rosari: 1765
5. Don Andre I DVG: 1792
6. Don Laurenso I: 1818

Dominate The Moluccas Trade Node
Success: [Country] is the strongest trade power in The Moluccas Trade Node
Effects:
- Get 40 Ducats
- Get 40 Diplomatic Points

Conversion of Larantuka
--Desc: There has been many tribes inhabiting Flores island. However, with European arrival, comes new idea and new era. As their leader, Ola Adabala, baptized to Christianity, Larantuka enter new chapter as Christian Kingdom in the archipelago.
Result: Larantuka Kingdom is founded in Larantuka province

Other big update is for additional mechanic for Merchant Kingdom. I propose five new trade policies, to drive home that they are focus on trade and navy. Three of those new trade policies however only available in certain Trade Node through another unique mechanic which I call “Orang Laut”. This mechanic is to represent the interaction between Kingdoms’ in Southeast Asia and groups of people called Sea Nomad. Orang Laut is the Malay group of these Sea Nomads, but in Indonesia Orang Laut meant Sea People, so it can be used to refer to any of these Sea Nomads.

Government
--Desc: Kingdom in the land below the wind are dependent and affected by global trade, thus the kingdom heavily involved on the ongoing trade within its realm.

Summary:
All of kingdoms/sultanates in Indonesia archipelago were involved in trade, either as producer, consumer, or middle man, even those more associated with agriculture like Javanese. Thus, I propose for them to have their own kind of government.

Merchant kingdom's mechanic is inspired by Merchant Republic, but because all of kingdoms/sultanates in the archipelago will use it, there are going to be several adjustments. The influence of Chinese, Hindus, and Muslims will also be used as inspiration.

Bonus:
- +1 Merchant
- -15% Increase Mercantalism Cost (With Common Sense)/+5% Mercantilism (Without Common Sense)
- 0/0/-0.025 Monthly Autonomy Change
- +1 Number of States
- +10 Maximum Absolutism

Additional Mechanic
- Can have Tributary subject
- Can create Kampung, create Mandala, and create Port Kingdom
- Get additional Trade Policies
- Can interact with “Orang Laut” mechanic
- Use Estates

--Merchant Kingdom Estate (Non-Muslim)
- Nobility
- Clergy
- Muslim Merchant (New Estate)
- Kongsi (New Estate)

--Merchant Kingdom Estate (Muslim)
- Noble Merchant (New Estate)
- Clergy
- Kongsi (New Estate)
- Dhimmi

New Mechanic
Mandala is a form of government similar to feudalism or tributary. Theoretically, you have a country that become the center of a circle, and several layers of circle (represent country’s subjects) surrounding the center spot, with each layer represent the geographical distances between. The closer you are to the center of Mandala, the stronger the overlord influence going to be, and likewise, the farther away you are from the center of Mandala, the more independent you become.

To represent this, I propose to give Merchant Kingdom the ability to have tributary (which will be used to represent relation between kingdom the farthest away from the main kingdom) and Mandala (a new mechanic which will represent the stronger control of the main kingdom).

Mandala that I proposed is pretty much a makeover of Merchant Republic’s Trade League. Some kind of defensive alliance where the leader can keep growing, while the members can only have one province. The differences would be largely cosmetic (For example, the leader is called “Negara Agung”, the member is called “Mancanegara”). Aside from that, Mandala mechanically function the same as Trade League.

When trader stayed to trade in far away kingdom, they create a compound known as “kampung” where they can stay, gather, exchange information, store their goods, and help sell said goods. These kampung stay even to this day and known mostly by the culture of the trader, such as Kampung Melayu (for Malay), Kampung Jawa (for Javanese), Kampung Ambon (for people from Ambon), etc.

Similar to Mandala, I think another mechanic for Merchant Republic (in this case, Trade Post), can be used to represent this. But instead of “Trade Post”, for Merchant Kingdom it should be called “Kampung”. Aside from name, it should function the same way as Trade Post.

Due to its trade focus, I propose merchant could have five additional trade policies. Two are available in every trade nodes, while the other three require the trade nodes to have a unique modifier called “Orang Laut”.
The new trade policies are:
- Encourage Productions:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node
-- Effect: +N% Local Goods Production in all province within the trade node. N is depended on how big the merchant kingdom’s share of trade power in that trade node.
- Establish Sea Patrol:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node
-- Effect: +10% Local trade steering, +10% Embargo efficiency
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Pirate:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have less than 50% share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +10% Local Privateering efficiency, +10% Chance to capture enemy ship
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Merchant:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have 50% or more share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +10% Local trade efficiency
- Enlist Orang Laut’s Sailor:
-- Requirement: Merchant present in trade node, Country have 70% or more share of trade power, Trade node has “Orang Laut” modifier
-- Effect: +5% Local sailor modifier in all coastal province within trade node, -10% Local shipbuilding time in all province within trade node

Orang Laut, or Sea Nomad, is a society mostly unique to Southeast Asia. Spend most of, if not, all of their time at seas, these people were a powerful force politically and economically at early and later age of commerce of Southeast Asia. At their best, they are excellent sailor and trader, but at their worst they can be pirate and raider. In order to be the master of trade in Southeast Asia, any merchant kingdom must oversee their activities to prevent their worst and encourage the use of their best. Historically, when there is no powerful state in a particular sea, like pre-Malaka in Strait of Malacca or pre-Bugis kingdoms in Flores Sea, Orang Laut operate mostly as pirate. When powerful states arise, these states soon become patron of the sea nomad (and lead to Orang Laut’s legend turn that particular Orang Laut group in to a descendant of said state, for example Orang Laut in north of Kalimantan claimed to be descendant of Brunei Sultanate while Orang Laut in Sulawesi’s south peninsula claimed to be descendant of the Bugis) and these states ability to rule over the sea is boosted by these sea gypsies help.
In many ways, Orang Laut is perfect for a new estate type, but their sea based life (with very limited coastal settlement at most) means typical land giving that an estate has is unsuitable for them. I have in mind a more complicated suggestion for interaction between Merchant Kingdom, but I think for now a simpler type of interaction is sufficient.
I propose that Orang Laut appear as special modifier that appear on trade nodes in Southeast Asia. In these trade nodes, merchant kingdom gets additional trade policy options which represent the interaction between the merchant kingdoms and local Orang Laut.
As there are several groups of Orang Laut, each exist in different trade nodes, once a merchant kingdom has 80% or more share of trade power in certain trade nodes, they can choose to become patron of said Orang Laut. For example, Sama-Bajau group exist in Philippine, Moluccan, and Java Sea Trade Node. When a merchant kingdom has 80% or more share of trade power in all of these trade nodes, they will get option to become the Patron of Sama-Bajau.
Become a patron will gives +1 Legitimacy and +1 Prestige per Orang Laut group plus additional bonus of that particular Orang Laut. A merchant kingdom will stay as patron of the Orang Laut group until they have less than 50% share of trade power in any trade node where said Orang Laut group exist.
The groups of Orang Laut, where they exist, and their bonus are:
- Samau-Bajau:
-- Present in: Philippine, Moluccan, and Java Sea Trade Node
-- Patron Bonus: +20% Naval Morale
- Orang Laut:
-- Present in: Malacca and Siam Trade Node
-- Bonus: +10% Naval Forcelimit Modifier
- Moken:
-- Present in: Bengal Trade Node
-- Bonus: +1 Merchant

yUIcSLS.jpg

Here is an example of possible trade node interface for Merchant Kingdom. On the right side is the 5 new trade policies. T1 and T2 are policies that can be chosen by simply having a merchant in a trade node. T3-T5 are policies that can only be chosen if the Trade Node has an “Orang Laut” modifier.

To know whether a trade node has an “Orang Laut” modifier or not, there is a new symbol near the trade value’s detail. If the trade node has no “Orang Laut” modifier, the symbol won’t be there. As long as no merchant kingdom manage to reach 80% share of trade power, this symbol will be greyed out. When a merchant kingdom manages to have 80% share of trade power, the symbol will be colored. Then when a merchant kingdom able to become patron of a particular Orang Laut group, this symbol can be clicked in order for the merchant kingdom to become the patron of that particular Orang Laut group.

A smaller new update is a tweak to my Cakrawala Mandala decision. While I don’t remove the old formable country suggestion, I offer an alternative that I much more prefer, where instead of required player to own a huge swath of land and gives permanent claim as bonus which pushed player to conquer more land, now player needs to dominate Southeast Asia’s trade and get permanent bonus to retain and push further that dominance, which is more along the line with how it historically happened and the theme of new mechanics I suggest: Trade and Navy.

I am not particullary fond of the idea of a formable country when a nation in Indonesia manage to control the whole archipelago, because while there are kingdoms that manage to exert their influence through out the archipelago, none any of them change their name to an older kingdom that have manage to do it before them. Another reason is because forming a new nation require the country to own the required provinces, which is not exactly how the nations in Indonesia at the time behave.
My old version does have the suggestion for a formable nation, so I left it here. But, I think a better option is to make it similar to “Unify Islam” type decision instead of “Form [insert country name]” type decision.

lO52yct.png

Notes: For quite a while now people has been asking for a formable nation for Indonesia archipelago. I must admit, I was not one of those people because pre-Dutch East Indies there was only one archipelago wide empire, Majapahit. Srivijaya only encompass Malacca, Sunda, and Karimata strait. And even though Majapahit control the whole archipelago based on tributary system called Mandala, it was very brief because of internal strife that plague it post-Hayam Wuruk. Thus, for a long time I thought the concept of united archipelago is just a happenstance of Majapahit’s aggressive expansion at the time.

Still, the idea is interesting enough for me to do some research, and it turns out the idea of uniting the whole archipelago wasn’t new to Majapahit. Medang, the very first Java empire, once influential enough for a king in Philippine to mentioned it in a debt case (the Laguna Copperplate Inscription) and Majapahit decisions to expand outside Java is a continuation of previous kingdom policy. Named Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara by Kertanagara, it was a concept of united or union of whole kingdom in the archipelago. Cakrawala means Horizon, Mandala is the government system, Dwipantara means islands in between (Nusantara in old Javanese). It basically means Empire (Cakrawala Mandala) of the Archipelago (Dwipantara). So, a formable nation to people who’ve controlled most Indonesia archipelago is not strange and I now think it should exist.

The problem now is the name. I am against naming it simply “Nusantara” because it strictly refers to “outside/outer islands”. It is like calling United Kingdom in 19th century as “Ireland” or “India”. However, adopting Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara scheme and name the formable nation “Cakrawala Mandala Nusantara”, I think makes it acceptable because no longer it meant “Archipelago”, it now means “The Empire of Archipelago”. It can also be named “Cakrawala Mandala” if one want to follow the naming scheme of “Great Britain” or “United State”.

The flag I suggest here isn’t something that was used at the time (because again, aside from Majapahit, there was no archipelago wide empire), but I choose this design (that I find from google) because I find that blue, black, white, yellow/gold, and red are colors that usually used as flag color by local kingdoms.

--Desc: Long ago, Shingasari dreamt of a unified archipelago, Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara. Majapahit fulfilled that dream, but it was too weak to hold it. Now, a new era of has begun for an Empire that will unite and firmly hold the whole Archipelago.
Requirement: Owned Pasai, Malacca, Brunei, Palembang, Pagarruyung, Singkawang, Banjar, Makassar, Samarinda, Kalapa, Surabaya, Ternate, Tidore, Bacan, Jailolo, and Halmahera
- Change Country to Cakrawala Mandala Nusantara
- Gain 25 Prestige
- Get “Increased Centralization” modifier for 10 years
- Get Permanent claims on provinces in regions: Malacca, Indonesia, and The Moluccas

The new idea I have for Cakrawala Mandala is to better represent the goal of most nations in Indonesia at the time. They wished to control the trade, obeyed by other nation in the region, but they didn’t desire direct ownership or absolute control over their overseas territory. In this sense, Cakrawala Mandala is better represented similar to “Unify Islam” or “Confirm Thalassocracy” decision, where the country don’t need to control a bunch of provinces in a region, but instead the country can just indirectly control a few of them, and the bonus isn’t permanent claims to a whole bunch of new provinces, but several strong modifiers that would help the country in long run.

Proclaim Cakrawala Mandala
--Desc: Long ago, Shingasari dreamt of a unified archipelago, Cakrawala Mandala Dwipantara. Majapahit fulfilled that dream, but it was too weak to hold it. Now, a new era of has begun for an Empire that will finally make the dream a reality and hold it.
Requirement:
- Have 51% share of trade power in Siam, Malacca, Java Sea, Moluccan, and Philippines Trade Node
- Owned or have subject that own: Pasai, Malacca, Ayutthaya, Kalapa, Surabaya, Sambas, Brunei, Banjar, Makassar, Manila
- Have at least 200 Administrative Power, 200 Diplomatic Power, 200 Military Power
- Have at least 75 Prestige
Effect:
- Becomes an Empire
- Lose 100 Administrative Power, 100 Diplomatic Power, 100 Military Power
- +0.5 Yearly Navy Tradition
- −10% Ship Cost
- +10% Global Trade Power
- +1 Merchants
- +1 Colonist

There are also several new decisions to unite Java, because I somehow forget to add it last time.

Smaller tweaks include new resources based on additional resources we get from Persian Patch and further reading on my part to make the trade goods more representative of what historically happened. The highlights are Madura now have livestock (because Cattle was and is Madura’s main export), Sumbawa also has livestock while Bima has Dye (Sumbawa island was an exporter of horses and brazilwood). In Kalimantan Singkawan now has Gold (because Lanfang Republic was created by Gold Miner which suggest a substantial amount of Gold there) and Ketapan now has Gems (it was an exporter of pearl).

There are also tweak on Batak decision, so player no longer need to own uncolonized Toba province to form Batak Kingdom. They instead get Toba province if they manage to form Batak Kingdom. Muslim estate now only accept province with muslim religion (as the mechanic to spread Islam is introduce in Cradle of Civilization). And finally, just some fixing to some error (like I put Manganitu event in Maluku and Timor section instead of Sulawesi section, and use Oganilir instead of just Ogan).

That’s all for this update. With this, I think I've covered all of major (and not-so-major) player in Indonesia (including Orang Laut). There are still some stuffs I want to suggest (such as sea tile shape, unit types for infantry, a more complex and unique Merchant Kingdom system, etc.) but it must wait in the future. That is if Paradox haven't done it before I can suggest to them.

Last edited:
Great thread, Indonesia is probably the one part of the map which needs an overhaul the most now that the ME has been improved. Let's hope this gets some dev attention.

I know this thread is dormant for months and Mod here are relatively pissy about necroing old thread, but this suggestions are superb, so it such wasted to start new thread. I was quite disappointed when map overhaul in Dharma did not include Indonesia and Malaysia region, but guest it would be overstretch with all new Indian province being added to the game. ah well, maybe later.
In otherhand, shouldn't Pagarruyung province inland? modern pagarruyung is quite far from the sea, and there is separation between Minangkabau highland (modern Tanah datar, Agam, and Limapuluh Kota regency) and it's coastlines possession, in which Raja nominally only figurehead in the highland but full sovereign in coastline region. also, because pagarruyung province becoming inland, the coast will be divided between Pariaman and Padang. Padang was major colonial city in west sumatran coast, in which Dutch initially trading with native until Padri war.
different topic, I think we can also add unique National Ideas for each nation. It seem Paradox would not only eradicate generic National Idea, they would also eradicate Common National Idea, as for Mughal update, all Indian Sultanate get their own unique national idea.

Indeed, I still remember his EU3 Indonesia mod quite fondly, unless I'm mistakenly remembering someone else...

I don't *think* I made an Indonesia mod for EU3, but I could be mistaken.

Be assured though that Indonesia shall have its day :)