Increase FPS when large groups of pedestrians are visible

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

emirkir

Private
5 Badges
Dec 21, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
Hello!
I was wondering if there are anyone here who knows if there are any mods or settings that can increase the FPS when large groups of pedestrians are visible?
So I am building a city with extensive public transport, but when having train stations or busy bus stations, there are always large groups of pedestrians.
In my case, I have a better GPU than CPU, so the rendering itself is no problem (I think) - so I was wondering if there's something that would increase the FPS when this happens?
I have not seen that graphic-fixing-mods works, for example the mod Dynamic Resolution won't fix FPS drops in this case.

Here's an example where the FPS drops drastically:
1654458475271.png

(No, more trains/buses will not help. One train picks up this many people directly)

I hope someone knows some tricks to increase performance!
Thank you in advance.

There is an FPS mod to give you a little FPS back. but the best way to get it back is optimizing your transportation system It looks like your tourist attractions are overloading the transportation system

Click on your cims and see what type they are and what districts they are trying to go to.

Maybe replace some toutist attractioms with offices that have no tourists nor freight. this will keep traffic low and FPS high.

Or you may be at or near your vehicle or citizen limits. Although, that usually affects simulation speed, more so than FPS. as FPS is always very low in this game.

Last edited:
@MarkJohnson
I think I was a little unclear about what I meant... The game doesn't drop in FPS completely, only when viewing the clumps of people.
The image is just an example, not from my game, but when that group (illustrated in the image) moves from a train, out to the platform - the FPS (around that area, visible on screen) drops. All my big stations looks like that, trains with the capacity of 1000+ eject these groups - I need those to keep my transportation up and running, otherwise the system would be full of small trains picking up the group bit by bit...

Is there any way to just limit how detailed just the pedestrians are animated or is it their AI/pathfinding/whatever that makes them be so performance-draining?
I could just build a metro, but it won't stop the groups of people walking to the stations - and when doing that the FPS would drop again.

I was thinking of some mod or some setting that could potentially fix this? I haven't found any but are there any CPU-boosters or something?

Thanks in advance,
/emirkir

@MarkJohnson
I think I was a little unclear about what I meant... The game doesn't drop in FPS completely, only when viewing the clumps of people.
The image is just an example, not from my game, but when that group (illustrated in the image) moves from a train, out to the platform - the FPS (around that area, visible on screen) drops. All my big stations looks like that, trains with the capacity of 1000+ eject these groups - I need those to keep my transportation up and running, otherwise the system would be full of small trains picking up the group bit by bit.

Yes, I understand that FPS doesn't stop completely. But this is not an FPS game, it is designed to run around 30fps. It has to do with the simulation hogging up so much CPU that the GPU doesn't get enough time to make high FPS. There's a old saying that you can get high FPS or high simulation, but you can't have both. It is still true today, although it is less impactful.

It is significantly better to post your own screenshot and files. Otherwise you can get bad advice.

You have already discovered the gaming mechanic that, if you overload your rail system, it will start giving trains partial loads, and cause excess train traffic. For example a 20% load mean it need 5 trains for 1 single load. so you end up with 5x the train traffic.

This game is about controlling the balance of your districts to keep traffic low. The less waste, the better you will do.

Also, when you zoom in to your bus stop, is it part FPS loss from higher detailed areas, and the cims themselves being animated. on top of that, if you are nearing the game limits for pedestrians, then you can lose FPS and simulation speed. Not to mention the more workshop subscribed the worse the performance, as workshop is NOT part of the game and user created content, and it will impact your system's performance.

Is there any way to just limit how detailed just the pedestrians are animated or is it their AI/pathfinding/whatever that makes them be so performance-draining?
I could just build a metro, but it won't stop the groups of people walking to the stations - and when doing that the FPS would drop again.

I was thinking of some mod or some setting that could potentially fix this? I haven't found any but are there any CPU-boosters or something?

Thanks in advance,
/emirkir

You can lower all of the graphical setting and screen resolution to help a little.

But the only surefire way to get your performance back is to get rid of the excess. As long as you are still expanding your city, you need to always be mindful of any waste that causes traffic. Once you are done with you city, then you can make it a litttle imbalance to cause traffic in your city where you want it to look more realistic. But in the beginning, I strive for a ghost town, so my city will keep its performance over time. It is tricky to do. But if you are using workshop, it will likely slow you down, plus cause performance issues from the workshop themselves.

Reactions: