In this video "experiment", public transit makes no difference in traffic. Why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Copy pasting quote from mod author.

"When the population is less than 16,000, 40% of people have a chance to go to work or go to school. When it is greater than 16,000, the chance of going to work or school decreases as the population increases. When the population is 100,000, it is only 16%, and when the population is 1 million, it is only 5%"

The author also made a mod that removes those limits.
Thanks for the info! That is really dissapointing. I guess I will have to get that mod. What are the remainder 95% doing? Sitting at home? Or going to leasure activities? In the latter case they are still simulated though, just that I feel unrealistic that in a 1 mill city only 5 percent of citizens are working. Could you provide the link? Thx.

Edit: I guess, if so, this mod will be mandatory for anyone like me who is interested in following citizens, since seeing them sit all day in their houses or go out only shopping eliminates the purpose of this feature. Are they virtually working in this case (eg.: home office), or simply not working at all?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the info! That is really dissapointing. I guess I will have to get that mod. What are the remainder 95% doing? Sitting at home? Or going to leasure activities? In the latter case they are still simulated though, just that I feel unrealistic that in a 1 mill city only 5 percent of citizens are working. Could you provide the link? Thx.

Edit: I guess, if so, this mod will be mandatory for anyone like me who is interested in following citizens, since seeing them sit all day in their houses or go out only shopping eliminates the purpose of this feature. Are they virtually working in this case (eg.: home office), or simply not working at all?

Those left out by the algorithm are simply idling at home.

You have to consider the reason why this limit exists.

The time scale of the game is much faster than real life being 1 entire day only 3 real hours.

If there was no limit, you would have the traffic of an entire day spawning in just few minutes and it would be impossible.

In real life people have time to move and go home even after getting stuck in traffic, couple hours at worst.

In the game that would mean that a citizen get stuck for days and it would break all the daily routines.

So the only way the game could work fine without that limit is by having a in-game time lasting 24 hours like real life or slight less.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Those left out by the algorithm are simply idling at home.

You have to consider the reason why this limit exists.

The time scale of the game is much faster than real life being 1 entire day only 3 real hours.

If there was no limit, you would have the traffic of an entire day spawning in just few minutes and it would be impossible.

In real life people have time to move and go home even after getting stuck in traffic, couple hours at worst.

In the game that would mean that a citizen get stuck for days and it would break all the daily routines.

So the only way the game could work fine without that limit is by having a in-game time lasting 24 hours like real life or slight less.
Well yes, I know, but it depends: i think at 100000 pop the delay (increase in time) would be acceptable on high end PC. In Real Time mod for CS1 agents were individually managed to a limit of 65000 IIRC. Removing these limits is something similar to Real Time. I sort of wouldn't care too much if at 1 mill it would crawl to 24 hours. Sounds OK from my side.

Well yes, I know, but it depends: i think at 100000 pop the delay (increase in time) would be acceptable on high end PC. In Real Time mod for CS1 agents were individually managed to a limit of 65000 IIRC. Removing these limits is something similar to Real Time. I sort of wouldn't care too much if at 1 mill it would crawl to 24 hours. Sounds OK from my side.

You can try the mod yourself it is called traffic reduction removal on Thunderstore

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can try the mod yourself it is called traffic reduction removal on Thunderstore
Thx, I found the link to the thread discussing this. I've read through it but see nothing regarding ""less and less of the cims are simulated". It just that less cims are travelling in vechicles. I guess they are still working, earning money, studying etc. without a visual trace? Anyway as you say, their is no logical way to solve this rush hour realism issue without either teleporting, or idling, or real 24h. There is no other choice here. I would have prefered teleporting, so that when I explicit follow a cim, he should be visually tracked (you don't follow more than 10 cims usually so that shouldn't be an issue), because with idling you may find him in his house, which is not realistic if he is eg.: working, whereas with teleport, you always find him where he is and so can track him from then on realistically. Hope a "real time" mod will solve this.

Reactions: