In this video "experiment", public transit makes no difference in traffic. Why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was only bothered by the statement that public transport has no effect on road traffic at all. Unfortunately, as you can see from the comments on the video, this is exactly how it is perceived.
For low population sizes, yes ur right. But for high population centres (which ultimately most of us want to achieve in building a city), it’s deeply concerning that the removal of all public transport would not result in any significant change, regardless of what city you build.

Have you tried doing one at the same population as the video? Having everyone suddenly walking instead of taking public transport does not make sense at all in any city, especially when the roads are so quiet as in the video.

Reactions:
Thanks for starting this thread, I came here specifically to check whether this has been already discussed.

OK, so is your* conclusion (speaking to all who gave their input above) that actually everything works fine, 'nothing to see here, move along'? or, what do you as the key factor that would need changing?

I'm no expert, so I withhold my opinion until wiser people have spoken :)

Thanks.

The conclusion is that public transport really works and helps keep your streets free of unnecessary car traffic, unless your city is so large that the game spawns far fewer agents, so your streets are empty anyway. And another conclusion is, don't believe what Youtubers say. :cool:

Reactions:
You are completely ignoring the facts of the video.
It showed at the beginning that people were using public transports quite a lot with good capacity utilization.
The streets were quite empty, means not much individual traffic because of a good and working public transport system.
Then he deleted all public transports lines. However, people still moving into public transport stations - for what? Watching empty rails? Enjoy the peace and quiet at the station?
After one month, no change is visible on the roads, the same utilization as before, the roads more or less empty, also displayed in the overlay and by statistics such as traffic flow. Makes zero sense. The only number in the transport panel that has changed is the utilization of taxi but this is only a number, no visual representation on the streets.. C'mon, seriously? Months of hype for the so-called "Traffic AI" and then this result? This is ridiculous.
All these attempts to explain this behaviour of citizens make no sense. The all walking by feet, using taxi, buying cars...and why are the streets then empty as before and even statistics like Traffic Flow or Overlay don't change? Conclusion, the simulation is completely broken, no trace of traffic AI or any sort of AI. What you normally could expect would be a complete breakdown of traffic, the economy plunges drastically, people leaving the city.

So it's pretty much arbitrary what you do with the city, everything always looks nice and pleasant.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
This is something which is really been bugging me for some time about those criticizing the game.

It seems more than likely that the simulation is deep enough that the people who were previously taking transit are now walking and buying cars, which will take time and require them to have some income saved.

That CO (maybe) added this depth to the game and yet noone seems bothered to actually play the game and wait for enough time to find out must be very demoralising.

People seem expect the sim to be so shallow that a change results in an instant response from the 100K+ cims.
In the real world a large portion of people using public transport also owns a car. In a somewhat realistic simulation, under normal circumstances (not vacations, weekends, severe weather events etc.) I would expect to see a large increase in walkers, cars and taxi usage the moment trains, trams, subways and buses stopped. Especially in large cities. If nearly all cims have to first buy a car (which seems not to be the case for smaller cities) I would consider the simulation flawed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
You don't have to be sorry I really appreciated your critical point of view.

Interesting the stuff about car owning which I didn't consider, it would be interesting to know if there is a max amount of distance citizen will walk and what happens if the target location is t

You don't have to be sorry I really appreciated your critical point of view.

Interesting the stuff about car owning which I didn't consider, it would be interesting to know if there is a max amount of distance citizen will walk and what happens if the target location is too far away and they don't have a car.
I did some testing on walkability in CS2. And it was way better then in first game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No need to repeat the same action, the video is very clear and your experiment is not comparable with the conditions of a normal city as shown in the video.
It's like everything in CS2, it doesn't matter what you do, the effects are not visible.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Lol, I just had one of my cities (110k pop) go with all publick transport disabled for 5 months, then enabled all the transport routes and nobody doesn't care. Several months have passed again and the number of passengers remains at zero.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Lol, I just had one of my cities (110k pop) go with all publick transport disabled for 5 months, then enabled all the transport routes and nobody doesn't care. Several months have passed again and the number of passengers remains at zero.
Come join us in the Prime Universe, we have plenty of earl grey tea, hot to get through these troubling times ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is a difference between "Stop public transport and road traffic doesn't collapse" and "Restore public transport and nobody uses it".

Update:
I started the game once more, this time without mods, and my cims start using public transport again.

You can have my save file. This is the one I've just loaded in vanilla. You see nobody is using the transport at this moment although they're all on the road/rails. I need to find out which mod causes this but... not now. :cool:

Your turn.

Attachments

• Altborn - Public re Feb 28 wo passengers.cok
    56,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Someone posted a deep dive into part of the code on reddit.
I've read those. Found nothing about "less and less of the cims are simulated". Please give a link. Sorry, but there are just enourmous amount of false information on these forums, where people present their speculations as facts.

Reactions:
I've read those. Found nothing about "less and less of the cims are simulated". Please give a link. Sorry, but there are just enourmous amount of false information on these forums, where people present their speculations as facts.
expand...

Copy pasting quote from mod author.

"When the population is less than 16,000, 40% of people have a chance to go to work or go to school. When it is greater than 16,000, the chance of going to work or school decreases as the population increases. When the population is 100,000, it is only 16%, and when the population is 1 million, it is only 5%"

The author also made a mod that removes those limits.

Reactions: