In this video "experiment", public transit makes no difference in traffic. Why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mazisky

Major
16 Badges
Feb 26, 2019
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus

This youtuber made an experiment and suddenly deleted all his extensive public transit that was used by thousands of citizens.

However, car traffic didn't increase and nothing changed at all.

Can someone explain what and why this happens?

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Can someone explain what and why this happens?
I just tried that. 100k pop city, disabled all public transport.
Now they're walking. Main roads are full of people walking to their destination.
But it's the city where I recently deleted all cars + residents, so many of them don't have a car. I guess he did the same in the video, because so little traffic on its roads seems unusual to me. And if your folks don't have cars, they walk. Maybe they'll buy a car but I've got to let the game run for some days to check if they're doing so. It may take some days for them to walk to the car dealer. :p

Too bad he didn't go into it further. He did something, just presented the result (or no result) and "good night". It would be interesting to know what happened next. Sorry for the following critical comment: That's how clickbait works. Post something sensational but just don't go into the background. There could be a rational explanation, but it doesn't matter. The more important thing is to give the impression of something being broken.

Reactions:
I just tried that. 100k pop city, disabled all public transport.
Now they're walking. Main roads are full of people walking to their destination.
But it's the city where I recently deleted all cars + residents, so many of them don't have a car. I guess he did the same in the video, because so little traffic on its roads seems unusual to me. And if your folks don't have cars, they walk. Maybe they'll buy a car but I've got to let the game run for some days to check if they're doing so. It may take some days for them to walk to the car dealer. :p

Too bad he didn't go into it further. He did something, just presented the result (or no result) and "good night". It would be interesting to know what happened next. Sorry for the following critical comment: That's how clickbait works. Post something sensational but just don't go into the background. There could be a rational explanation, but it doesn't matter. The more important thing is to give the impression of something being broken.

You don't have to be sorry I really appreciated your critical point of view.

Interesting the stuff about car owning which I didn't consider, it would be interesting to know if there is a max amount of distance citizen will walk and what happens if the target location is too far away and they don't have a car.

Reactions:
You don't have to be sorry I really appreciated your critical point of view.

Interesting the stuff about car owning which I didn't consider, it would be interesting to know if there is a max amount of distance citizen will walk and what happens if the target location is too far away and they don't have a car.
They'll either teleport, or despawn - in the latter case, leaving their dogs behind.

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm still watching the situation. It is 48 hours after deactivating all transit lines.
People are still walking.
Tax income from vehicles has more than doubled from ~98k to >220k now. Looks like they're buying cars.
edit: Taxi-rides have increased from approx. 500 to 1600.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I'm still watching the situation. It is 48 hours after deactivating all transit lines.
People are still walking.
Tax income from vehicles has more than doubled from ~98k to >220k now. Looks like they're buying cars.
edit: Taxi-rides have increased from approx. 500 to 1600.

This is something which is really been bugging me for some time about those criticizing the game.

It seems more than likely that the simulation is deep enough that the people who were previously taking transit are now walking and buying cars, which will take time and require them to have some income saved.

That CO (maybe) added this depth to the game and yet noone seems bothered to actually play the game and wait for enough time to find out must be very demoralising.

People seem expect the sim to be so shallow that a change results in an instant response from the 100K+ cims.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Another update: I had to build more parking lots. The ones in my city were completely filled up. Before the public transport shutdown, they were about half full.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I haven't noticed that. Even before the public transport shutdown, I had a good traffic flow without traffic jams.
I've now reactivated all the lines, it's now rush hour and I can see that the parking lots remain full and people are walking to the stops.
In the traffic overview, some streets were orange-red. It hasn't been half a day yet and I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

It depends on the city, the locations, the tourism, and more. The video is not accurate.

If the transport doesn't benefit the city, the change is not noticeable and the pedestrians won't use the transit. If the condition is right they do use it by the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS.

I can assure you it works and it helps. My subway grabs ahold of thousands of pedestrians and gets them where they need to be. I turn it off amd the city goes to hell with walking deads everywhere.

But it's my city. Every city is different and some might not benefit. Remember that the condition has to be right. You cannot expect them to use your bus if they cam walk there. Get it? It has to be far, there has to be no subways near the stop. It's conditional.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is something which is really been bugging me for some time about those criticizing the game.

It seems more than likely that the simulation is deep enough that the people who were previously taking transit are now walking and buying cars, which will take time and require them to have some income saved.

That CO (maybe) added this depth to the game and yet noone seems bothered to actually play the game and wait for enough time to find out must be very demoralising.

People seem expect the sim to be so shallow that a change results in an instant response from the 100K+ cims.

This seems to happen with most if not all the simulation parts of CS:2. Someone will post a clickbait type video on youtube saying that there is "no simulation and CO fooled us." Every system and concept in this game takes time to adjust to what you do in the city, from my experience it has never been instant. Remove a crosswalk, it takes time for the AI to adjust to no longer crossing the street, add another landfill takes time to send out the new trucks, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Youtubers are a plague. They have a bias to get views to make income. Just like all the youtubers they got to promote this game. I would stop watching them as it is not a factual source of information. We have no clue what he has done to make his video look like that. We all know the game needs to be finsihed we dont need to pay some troll on youtube to tell us that, just play the game or don't. It was only $60, i payed that last night for steak dinner which was slightly overcooked, but I didnt complain as it just a meal, and this game is just entertainment.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Youtubers are a plague. They have a bias to get views to make income. Just like all the youtubers they got to promote this game. I would stop watching them as it is not a factual source of information. We have no clue what he has done to make his video look like that. We all know the game needs to be finsihed we dont need to pay some troll on youtube to tell us that, just play the game or don't. It was only $60, i payed that last night for steak dinner which was slightly overcooked, but I didnt complain as it just a meal, and this game is just entertainment.

There should be always room for criticism especially since it would expose issues and increase the chances to be fixed and improve the game.

Making comparison with steaks doesn't improve the game while catching and reporting bugs and issues does.

Reactions:
I did some more research. :D

First I've built a small city. I extended the starting highway connection with a residential area to the left and industrial, commercial and schools to the right. In the middle I've put the city services.

Layout.jpg

To let the areas grow quickly I've had a little help from the unlimited demand mod.

Then I've set up a subway route from the residential area to the industrial/commercial area to the right.

BeforeTurningOffSubway.jpg

This is the traffic overview.... you'll notice that I've added another highway connections for citizens moving in and trucks entering/leaving the industrial/commercial areas.

Then I turned off the subway line and waited 24 in game hours.
In the meantime I've had a lot of traffic jams, lots of sick people dying and burned down industrial buildings. Traffic overview looked like that:

24hAfterTurningOffSubway.jpg

The colors are not that different and the traffic flow chart says nothing has changed significantly, although I noted a notable traffic increase leading to jammed roads, deaths and fires destroying buildings.

Ok, turning on the subway lines again.

24 hours later:

24hAfterTurningSubwayOnAgain.jpg

It has cleared up a lot! No notable traffic jams during these 24 hours.

Now I've extended the subway to two circular lines. In each of the two district I now have a "north" and "south" station with two subway lines running in opposite directions.

I've turned them off again.

1707078547833.png

Cars already jamming again during morning rush hour....

Now it's about midnight and it looks like this:

1707079205078.png

I decide to redeem my people from the subway drivers' strike.

The next evening. A quick look at the statistics:

1707080178135.png

It's significantly quieter on the roads.

1707080443124.png

I've uploaded my savegame. Check it out.

Attachments

• Pastura.cok
    22,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
There should be always room for criticism especially since it would expose issues and increase the chances to be fixed and improve the game.
No one said otherwise, but the issue here is misinformation.

• 3Like
Reactions:

First I've built a small city. I extended the starting highway connection with a residential area to the left and industrial, commercial and schools to the right. In the middle I've put the city services.
As far as I know the overlays take along time to update and they are an average over time. Not sure how long but many months at least.

An appropriate comparison here would be: I switch off a light bulb, touch it, burn my fingers and post a YouTube video in which I claim that the bulb is not really turned off and that it is probably still consuming electricity (with plenty of scope for conspiracy theories). :p

• 5Haha
Reactions:

View attachment 1080241

To let the areas grow quickly I've had a little help from the unlimited demand mod.

Then I've set up a subway route from the residential area to the industrial/commercial area to the right.

View attachment 1080243

This is the traffic overview.... you'll notice that I've added another highway connections for citizens moving in and trucks entering/leaving the industrial/commercial areas.

In the meantime I've had a lot of traffic jams, lots of sick people dying and burned down industrial buildings. Traffic overview looked like that:

View attachment 1080244

The colors are not that different and the traffic flow chart says nothing has changed significantly, although I noted a notable traffic increase leading to jammed roads, deaths and fires destroying buildings.

24 hours later:

View attachment 1080252

Now I've extended the subway to two circular lines. In each of the two district I now have a "north" and "south" station with two subway lines running in opposite directions.

View attachment 1080260

View attachment 1080262

View attachment 1080267

View attachment 1080268

Thank you for this, very informative.

Highly appreciated

• 2Like
Reactions:

View attachment 1080241

View attachment 1080243

View attachment 1080244

24 hours later:

View attachment 1080252

View attachment 1080260

View attachment 1080262

View attachment 1080267

View attachment 1080268

This isn't a like comparision. As a city gets larger, less and less of the cims are simulated. In the video you saw, the city was quite large so only a fraction of the cims are being simulated. Which makes sense why public transit would have no effect on the city. There aren't enough cims to clog roads at a city that size.

Reactions:
I was only bothered by the statement that public transport has no effect on road traffic at all. Unfortunately, as you can see from the comments on the video, this is exactly how it is perceived.

Reactions: