• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bibliography & Endnote

Bibliography

Although an AAR, as it is accustomed whenever I undertake an AAR (and game), I try to keep historicity heavily involved in my work. Admittedly, as someone who works professionally in the history discipline, I don’t think I could write any other way and be pleased with it. While I had some footnotes outlining some books, I will provide a larger bibliography of the books that I used to keep a historicist feel even if this was an AAR and some of the events and history had to be re-written to correspond with in-game developments. Rather than list them alphabetically, I’ve decided to list them according to their historical field.

Roman & Byzantine:
Brownworth, Lars. Lost to the West (2009).
Goldsworthy, Adrian. How Rome Fell (2009).
Heather, Peter. The Fall of the Roman Empire (2005).
______ Empires and Barbarians (2009).
______ The Restoration of Rome (2014).
Herrin, Judith. Byzantium: The Surprising Life of an Medieval Empire (2009).
Norwich, John Julius. A Short History of Byzantium (1997/1999 reprint).
O’Donnell, James J. The Ruin of the Roman Empire (2008).
Oman, Charles C.W. The Byzantine Empire (1892, 2008 reprint).
Wells, Colin. Sailing From Byzantium (2006).

Late Antiquity and Early Medieval:
Brown, Peter. The World of Late Antiquity (1971). *The most important work in Late Antiquity, ever!
Collins, Roger. Early Medieval Europe (1991, 2010 reprint).
______ Early Medieval Spain (1995).
Wickham, Chris. The Inheritance of Rome (2009).

Islamic and Eastern:
Axworthy, Michael. History of Iran: Empire of the Mind (2010).
Bennison, Amira. The Great Caliphs (2009).
Daryaee, Touraj. Sassanian Iran (2008).
Donner, Fred. Muhammad and the Believers (2010, 2012 reprint).
Kennedy, Hugh. When Baghdad Ruled the World (2006).
My university notes on Islamic History (I had concentrated studies in the field).

Western Europe:
Collins, Paul. The Birth of the West (2014).
Collins, Roger. Charlemagne (1998).
Einhard. Two Lives of Charlemagne (primary account, 2008 Penguin edition).
Wickham, Chris. Framing the Early Middle Ages (2005, 2007 reprint).
Wilson, Derek. Charlemagne: A Biography (2006).

*Many of the books listed in the Roman/Byzantine section were also used when discussion Western Europe, as they naturally overlap in many cases. In particular, The Restoration of Rome and The Ruin of The Roman Empire have a lot of material on Europe apart from being a more conventional, strictly Roman history.

In posting the bibliography for any and all interested, I am also going to take the time to inform those who may have their misplaced hopes in this returning, that this will not be the case in almost all likelihood. As it stands, apart from my historical work, I am also moving down the direction of creating a 6-part lecture series on the evolution of Roman historiography. Since this will also be taking great time on my behalf, apart from my usual work, that also means I will have less time to devote to my other ongoing AARs and whether or not I decide to return working on The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization, 24 pages, back in EU4. So, with that in mind, I will almost certainly not be returning to this, especially since the lecture will essentially be covering the same material that I planned on covering, of course with game play additions, for the second half of this AAR.

Excelsior!