• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rolo Master said:
One tip: If you reached the far east I will recommendo to conquer 2 cities and make a colony in a place.Conquer Mallaca and Mascate and colonize Goa until trnasform it in a city
Thanks. For the time being I am leaving India and the Far East alone conquering wise. China is fighting with everyone and I am not sure that is a fight I want to get involved with so far away from my national provinces at the moment. Colonization is a possiblity in the very near future though. Now if some of those nice money events would pop up I would be set.

Rolo Master said:
btw can you attatch a save game of it?
When I do my next update I will upload my save file.

Hastu Neon said:
Mmh, I'm doubtful about this advise: if you're playing AGCEEP, you should have Kilwa (Zanzibar CoT) as vassal in few years, some cities in India and China (I don't tell which ones, just to avoid breaking the surprise) by scripted event and lots of casus belli against "spicy" countries. Thus, probably it's better waiting for these events...
I have gotten two of those interesting events already. One I totally screwed up which I am still sitting here going why did I click that. It will probably effect the outcome of future events but that is the price you pay sometimes for living by the rules of no restarts. Oh well, my game has turned interesting and if things continue this game will definitely be different.

Last edited:
Note: This update is split into three messages

ManuelI-P.jpg
Manuel I​

Chapter 7: New Lands

After the death of Joao II son, Afonso, and the ill-fated attempt to legitimize George, Duke of Aveiro, his other son, born to Ana de Mendonça, Manuel, his first cousin, was named heir to the throne. On October 17, 1495, Manuel I, took the throne and a collective sigh of relief could almost be heard throughout the kingdom.

screen 88-89.jpg
Kingdom of Portugal​

screen 90-2.jpg
Europe 1495​

Though the nobles considered Joao II, a tyrant, he had set the groundwork for Portugal’s domination in exploration and colonization.

pero da convilha.jpg
A delegation arriving in Ethiopia​

Manuel had heard about the discovery of the Ethiopian lands and decided if this was the kingdom of Prester John, he needed an alliance with this nation. He sent a delegation to the province of Shewa but to his disappointment, they found an Orthodox nation, ruled by King Noad I. Noad was found to be very indifferent to the Portuguese delegation.

st thomas.jpg
St. Thomas​

Manuel started studying the text of the letter sent by Prester John in 1165 and the biblical stories of St. Thomas, who was referenced to in the letter. St. Thomas was believed to have spent time in India preaching, converting, performing miracles and establishing the seven churches of Malabar. It was possible; Prester John could still be in India.

In March 1496, Bartholomeu Dias was sent to explore the Persian Gulf, where he would find a sea route to Hyderabad a month later. A small delegation was sent to introduce Portugal to the Indian country. They questioned anyone they could about the two men and even found relics in a tomb but no sign of Prester John himself.

screen 92-2.jpg

Manuel’s attention would be diverted when he agreed to join a military alliance with the Papal States, Aragon, Modena, Naples and Tuscany on June 4 against Denmark. Norway and Denmark as an alliance were in five separate wars around Europe.

In war, anything is fair game. Norway held Adalusia and England was besieging it. Manuel thought if he moved a number of troops into the province before it fell, he may have a chance to take it over. Moving his troops from Tago down, he would almost make it but would miss by just a few days, as it fell to the English troops. Manuel would not join any of the fighting in Northern Europe but return his attentions to policies and exploration. The war ended December 19, 1497 for the Papal States alliance with Aragon taking Friesson.

Manuel arranged a royal marriage with Castile on July 2, 1497 and his own marriage on November 11 of the same year, to Maria of Aragon, after his first wife, Isabella of Aragon, died in childbirth.

For the next two years, things would be very quiet for the Portuguese. A new farming technique was brought from the New World, causing an agricultural revolution in Tago, raising manpower by 1.

vasco da gama.gif
Vasco da Gama​

After the discovery of China, many in Portugal became fascinated with the goods coming from this far away land. Manuel recruited Vasco da Gama to explore further east, in July 1497.

Vasco da Gama’s explorations around India and further east opened up some land in the area but not all was mapped. Afonso de Albuquerque was recruited to map the unexplored territories. He set sail in January 1499, heading for two islands discovered in earlier explorations. His first stop was Mauritius, which he mapped, but a storm in the area kept him from exploring the other island in the chain. He then made his way to India, where events would put doubts about his competency and military career. Once the boat carrying Albuquerque reached India he was nowhere to be found. His second in command attempted to lead the expedition but could not go beyond the beach. The captain of the ship having no idea what to do, headed back to Tago.

Pedro Alvarez Cabral.jpg
Pedro Alvarez Cabral​

Thinking he had da Gama and Albuquerque exploring the Far East, Manuel set his sights on the new lands to the west. He recruited F. Almeida and Pedro Alvarez Cabral to map this strange land. They would set sail together heading for Recife where Almeida was dropped off to walk the land while Cabral sailed south.

A commercial conflict in the Indian Ocean began in January 17, 1500. Some say, Manuel was suffering from a fever, while other said he had just plain gone mad but whatever the case, he would negotiate trade rights with the Ottoman Empire and Gujarat. A shipyard was built in Tago but by not forcibly controlling the spice trade, he lost the possibility of gaining Socotra as a national province. In February, he also relaxed trade restrictions in a Colonial Pact raising relations with Castile, England and France.

Despite Manuel’s problems with his decisions and missing conquistadors, explorers lined up to be granted the chance to captain ships into the unknown. Miguel de Cortes Real and Gaspard de Cortes Real were the two chosen to map the ocean north of Recife. M. de Cortes Real set sail heading towards Recife while G. de Cortes Real headed due west. After they set sail, word came of Bartolomeu Dias’ death on May 30, 1500.

In Morocco, after disputing with Tlemcen for 90 years, over various issues, they declared war on their neighbor. Manuel worried about losing his vassal, sent a state gift to Morocco to help pay for troops. The war ended two years later with Morocco paying Tlemcen 2 ducats.

screen 100-2.jpg

By 1501, exploration and discovery was at its highest. G. de Cortes Real found the island of Bermuda, Vasco da Gama reached Japan, M. de Cortes Real found the Winward Islands and Pedro Alvarez Cabral reached the Magellan Straits. Afonso de Albuquerque was also found. He claimed he was there the whole time and had no explanation for what happened. The king was furious and exiled him to the Americas. F. Almeida had walked south from Recife so Albuquerque would march west. He vowed he would not fail his king this time but Manuel had his doubts.

Vasco da Gama was not very successful with mapping the land around China but he would reach the Bay of Kamenskoie in February 1503. The next month, M. de Cortes Real discovered the Aztec nation and Almeida discovering the Inca in November, both visibly rich with gold and jewels. Albuquerque’s worth would jump as he landed in Recife to begin his march west in 1504. By mid November, he would make his first major discovery, the Amazones.

screen 102-2.jpg
screen 103-2.jpg

The part about Albuquerque missing was some weird glitch in my game. The conquistador, Correo at one point was trying to get off the boat and walk to America. So far my game has been running okay.

Last edited:
Part 2

Back at home, a diplomatic move strengthened relations with Granada but a scandal in the court would erupt and relations with Castile would drop.

1505 would start out quiet but on April 11; the Papal States would ask Portugal to join their war against Genoa, Venice, France and Brabant. Everyone from the Papal States alliance would join except for Modena who dishonored and later joined Genoa’s alliance.

Manuel was not interested in this war but he saw an opportunity to the north, where Lothian, the Highlands and the Grampians had rebelled several months earlier. The Papal States just happened to own the Grampians and if things progressed, the rebels would declare independence to form Scotland.

Manuel would not be disappointed. On July 1, 1505 Scotland declared independence and the Papal States asked Portugal to honor its alliance. 11,000 troops were immediately loaded onto ships heading for the Grampians. He began to recruit more troops to protect the land in case the war with Genoa came to his shores. On September 4, Tuscany accepted peace with Genoa and by October a siege was in full swing in the Grampians. Tuscany and Aragon would send token troops to Scotland, leaving Portugal to lead the siege of the land.

In 1506, unexpected events would rock the world. On July 18, the nation of Kongo would change their religion to Catholic and become a vassal to Portugal. Granada was fully annexed by Castile after a short war but nothing would compare to what happened in December. Castile agreed to become a vassal to England breaking royal ties with Aragon and Portugal.

kongo-2.jpg
The Nation of Kongo​

During this time, the Grampians fell and the troops marched on Lothian. Lothian fell on March 18 and brought an enthusiasm for the navy of 5 galleys in Karroo. The Highlands fell in January 1508 and Portugal offered peace to Scotland. Portugal received Lothian and the Highlands while Scotland became their vassal.

screen 113-2.jpg

Manuel knew the vassalage would not last as England immediately declared war on Scotland. To strengthen relations with their new neighbor, they entered into a royal marriage with England.

screen 108-2.jpg

While Portugal was fighting against Scotland, Albuquerque discovered Panama and marched north to the Aztec nation. Almeida had marched back the way he came and cut across the middle of the continent running back into the Inca’s. He marched back to Recife to regroup and would march the lands missed by Albuquerque until his death in March 1510.

Once Albuquerque reached the Aztec’s he was picked up by a passing fleet and dropped off in Rio Grande. Tristao da Cunha offered his services as an explorer and was sent to map the Red Sea and India.

tordesillasdocument.jpg
Treaty of Tordesillas​

The Pope pressured Manuel to sign the Treaty of Tordesillas on March 30, 1509. Castile and Aragon were very disorganized and Manuel made the decision to not honor the agreement, fighting anyone who tried to take any future colonies, in the disputed lands. Later, feeling guilty about his decision, he commissioned a cathedral on Christmas Eve of that year. He also recruited a conquistador, by the name of Correo, to explore the lands of North America. Correo landed in Carolina and marched north.

Vasco da Gama had been left to explore at will. He found many islands in the Far East and had found a very large landmass to the south of China. He traveled the western side and discovered Australia. He would die on March 3, 1510 stranding his crew on the southern shores. Cunho was sent to rescue his ships but he would not make it. For his efforts he discovered a direct route to Australia and explored around the continent.

screen 116-2.jpg

Part 3

After the discovery of Australia, navigators calculated that Australia was close to South America. If, Recife were colonized, maybe it would be a shorter route than going around Africa. By November 1510, a colony was established at Recife. It would take seven years before an explorer could be found to test this theory.

Meanwhile, Naples annexed what was left of Scotland in 1511. A revolt in the Highlands sprang up at the news but Manuel sent troops to crush it. It would be fairly quiet for several years as conquistadors roamed the Americas and traders attempted to gain slots in the new foreign markets to the east. Correo discovered the Great Lakes in August 1514 and nobles demanded higher pensions as income into the nation grew. Manuel refused their demands stating costs for exploration and new discovers made a raise impossible.

screen 117-2.jpg

Portugal would gain the exploration services of De Queros in 1515. He was immediately sent to Recife to cut around the Magellan Straits and explore northward.

pedro fernandez de quiros.gif
Pedro Fernandez de Quiros​

On April 17, 1515 Portugal inheriting the realm of Ormuz. Stability across the nation increased at the news of this new land in the heart of the Muslim stronghold.

screen 119-2.jpg
Ormuz​

By June, Aragon had annexed the Papal States and England declared war on Naples to gain the Grampians.

Manuel found himself with a very hard decision. He could go to war and fight an alliance consisting of England, Castile, Ulster, Berg and Lorraine or dishonor. Portugal had a royal marriage with England, which breaking would not have posed a problem for the king but fighting a war on two fronts was out of the question. He made the decision to dishonor the alliance.

screen 120-2.jpg

England tried to get him to join their alliance but he resisted. War broke out on the Iberian Peninsula as Castile, Aragon and England fought for territory. Manuel watched carefully, looking for another weakness like had happened with Scotland.

screen 121-2.jpg

Back in the Americas, Albuquerque discovered California and died 5 days later. His troops met up with Correo’s expedition and combined forces to map the lands north of California.

De Queros had rounded the southern tip of the Americas and made it up to the Inca lands but without a neutral port to re-supply his efforts were stopped. He headed back to Recife, where it was decided he would find a sea route to the Great Lakes.

By 1516, things had stabilized in the Iberian Peninsula. Aragon and England had declared peace with each other but the war continued with Tuscany and Naples. The accomplishments of Afonso Albuquerque put the Indies under Portugal’s control. Monarch skills went go up by three and revolt risks went down by one. Unfortunately a scandal between Aragon and Portugal would drastically hurt the relations between the two countries. With this development, when England asked Manuel to join their alliance again, he accepted. If war broke out between Portugal and Aragon, Castile would take the brunt of the battles. A wave of obscurantism swept the land as Portugal prepared its navy for battle.

Portugal moved it’s fleet into the Straits blocking any ships from Naples or Tuscany from moving out of the Mediterranean. Portugal faced Tuscany and Naples many times in battles at sea. They lost only once but England and Ulster were not fairing well in the land battles in Italy. Sending only a few thousand troops up against 30,000 and 40,000 troops was a losing battle. When a rebellion broke out in Tago a decision was made. Portugal asked for white peace with Naples on October 21, 1519 and it was accepted.

For the next two years, Portugal returned to its quiet existence. De Queros found Hudson Bay on March 14. 1521 and would cut across to explore the uncharted lands around Norway and Sweden.

screen 126-2.jpg

Manuel, the fortunate, died on December 17, 1521, leaving a legacy many hoped would lead Portugal to greatness.

Kongo on the coasts and not in the interior? :confused: Which version are you playing? Whichever, your strategy is evolving very well... ;)

Hastu Neon said:
Kongo on the coasts and not in the interior? :confused: Which version are you playing? Whichever, your strategy is evolving very well... ;)
I don't remember if I took that screen before I clicked the okay button or not but Kongo is in the interior as well. 1.08 with latest beta patches and AGCEEP 1.35. I didn't install the newest patch of that one.

Thanks. I am hoping I can hold onto it all. I think rebellions will be a problem in Ormuz and Scotland. :(

zacharym87 said:
Wow, those were some major feats of exploration you pulled off there. Where will Portuguese seafarers be headed next?

Thanks. I think things would have been different if Spain were in the picture but they haven't even formed yet.

Probably up the west coast of America if I could get a colony going in the southern part of South America and around New Zealand. I didn't discover much around China or Manchu so I really need to send an explorer back that way too.

Queen Lor said:
I don't remember if I took that screen before I clicked the okay button or not but Kongo is in the interior as well. 1.08 with latest beta patches and AGCEEP 1.35. I didn't install the newest patch of that one

Really strange, indeed. Generally Kongo has Ngoyo & Teke and not the coastal provs. Oh, I see it's an addition of the 1.08 betas!

Checking the AGCEEP event files, it seems that, in theory, the AI should always form Spain. But I've played AGCEEP games where Spain never formed before, it really messes up AI colonization :( . There's always the direct method--load up as Castile and type "event 3556" in the F12 console, Castile will switch tags and become Spain. Now as Spain enter "event 3848" in the F12 console and Spain will inherit Aragon. As for Congo's provinces on the coast, that comes from AGCEEP 1.35 and not the betas (AGCEEP switches the land given to Congo as well as adding the country of Ormuz which QL just inherited, among other things).

zacharym87 said:
Checking the AGCEEP event files, it seems that, in theory, the AI should always form Spain. But I've played AGCEEP games where Spain never formed before, it really messes up AI colonization :( . There's always the direct method--load up as Castile and type "event 3556" in the F12 console, Castile will switch tags and become Spain. Now as Spain enter "event 3848" in the F12 console and Spain will inherit Aragon. As for Congo's provinces on the coast, that comes from AGCEEP 1.35 and not the betas (AGCEEP switches the land given to Congo as well as adding the country of Ormuz which QL just inherited, among other things).

Thanks Zack. I may have to do that since I will just end up running amuck colonizing South America with no competition.

zacharym87 said:
load up as Castile and type "event 3556" in the F12 console, Castile will switch tags and become Spain. Now as Spain enter "event 3848" in the F12 console and Spain will inherit Aragon.

Actually, stay as Portugal, and type "event 3556 CAS" and then "event 3848 SPA". Gets rid of all that country switching.

Nice little glut of exploration there! No Prestor John, though... :(

Judas Maccabeus said:
Actually, stay as Portugal, and type "event 3556 CAS" and then "event 3848 SPA". Gets rid of all that country switching.

Nice little glut of exploration there! No Prestor John, though... :(

I like that option.

Yes, I went a bit wild but I got all those explorers so I had to use them. :)

John_III_of_Portugal.jpg
King Joao III​

Chapter 8: Colonization and Vassalage

On December 17, 1521 Joao III took the throne and vowed to continue the legacy of Portuguese greatness.

screen 134-3.jpg
Kingdom of Portugal​

screen 133-2.jpg
Europe 1521​

Joao’s first act as king, came on May 24, 1522. After long negotiation, he signed the Treaty of Friendship with Ternate, which made them a vassal to Portugal.

screen 136-2.jpg

Merchants rejoiced, offering 200 ducats to trade investments to strengthen the deal. With a new home base, exploration in northeast Asia and south to Australia reached it’s height. Shortly afterwards, he arranged a royal marriage with Aragon to strengthen his position on the Iberian Peninsula.

Unfortunately, the first year of his reign did not end on a happy note. A diplomatic insult between Songhai and Portugal, the day after Christmas, would ruin the already weakened relations between the two countries.

meteor-2.jpg

The days after the birth of Christ would not be quiet in 1523 either. Peasants, spotting a meteor, sent stability down across the kingdom, as hysteria spread that the end of the world was near. Stability was restored three years later, when a peasant falsely accused of murder, prayed to Elizabeth of Portugal to restore his good name. Many say his prayers where answered and this soon to be canonized woman performed a miracle.

st elizabeth of portugal.jpg
St. Elizabeth of Portugal​

In 1525, Joao recruited Francois Xavier to explore the lands of India and Australia. He left from Mascate to explore the land of India where he discovered the province of Madras, owned by Bengal. Being unable to go any further, he began his journey south, to Australia, where he landed at Murumbidgee, in August of the following year. While in Murumbidgee, he oversaw the establishment of the first trading post on this new land. After that he headed to Northeast Asia to explore the lands discovered by da Gama.

Murrumbidgee Ranges.jpg
Murrumbidgee Ranges​

For the next year, Portugal focused on exploration and commerce as France made claims of discovering new land to the west. Joao saw them as no threat to his well-established colonies right away but he would not ignore the ambitions of Francis I, who had married Joao’s stepmother Eleanor of Habsburg.

1528 found Morocco declaring war, once again, on Tlemcen. As his father had done, Joao sent a personal gift to help finance Muhammad III quest to vanquish his sworn enemy.

morocco-MuhammadIII.jpg
Muhammad III of Morocco​

On June 2, Portugal answered a call to battle, with England declaring war on Denmark. Castile, Ulster and Portugal honored their alliance while Lorraine and Berg did not. Joao was not interested in going to war against Denmark but sent the Portuguese fleet to protect Lothian and the Highlands should Denmark become interested in their territory. By the grace of God, the war was over as quickly as it began. On November 28, England agreed to pay 24 ducats and give Iceland to Denmark. Morocco faired better in their war, soundly defeating Tlemcen. Tlemcen found Orania annexed and themselves a subservient to Morocco.

martim afonso de sousa.jpg
Martim Afonso de Sousa​

In 1530, Portugal gained the services of Martim de Sousa and he was sent to oversee the building of the Brazilian lands he would soon govern. After de Sousa landed in Recife, Joao made the decision that a home base of exploration in the tip of South America was a must and a colony was needed post haste. Martim de Sousa scouted out the lands and Aisen was selected to build this port colony. By November 1533, the colony was established and de Sousa made his way back to the Brazilian lands.

During this time period, Portugal entered into royal marriages with Naples and England. Soon afterwards, England broke the marriage and the military alliance when they embraced Protestantism. Joao then found himself leader of the military alliance between Portugal, Castile, Ulster and Sweden.

Events would not go his way after this though. A devastating fire wiped out the naval equipment factory in Algarve and natives captured the settlement at Iguata. The settlement was retaken very quickly but the factory could not be replaced. Joao instituted minting in the treasury to pay for a new factory in the Azores and colonies in the Americas.

Morocco feeling confident declared war on Algiers. Algiers had no standing army and no alliances so they fell within a year to annexation. Seeing that Morocco was sweeping across North Africa, Joao invited them into the military alliance, which they accepted.

Despite Joao being a very religious man, when asked to participate in the Holy Inquisitions of 1536, he declined raising innovativeness by one. From his decision, a good government policy was instituted, which raised stability and gave money to trade/infrastructure investments.

The following year, Joao received a letter from his sister, Maria, stating, “My brother…... One day they call themselves Castile and for no other reason than can be explained but by God himself, they changed their name to Kingdom of Spain.” (Yes, after several more attempts, I got them to accept the name Spain)

The next few years saw the building of a refinery in the Azores, a rush of merchants, 10 warships donated by merchants in Al Kharam, and a new center of trade open in Aisen. Francois Xavier also accomplished a great deal during this time. Marching north he discovered the lands in and around Korfa. He then headed back south and west through the interior of the land. He reached the lands held by the Mongolian’s and found he could not move further. As he made his way back towards China to investigate the lands there, he received word from a passing ship of other plans for him.

screen 149-2.jpg

On March 20, 1539, Joao, fed up with dealing with the warlords in Hyderabad, sent a formal demand for possession of Goa. Claiming, no usurper would ever take their lands, Hyderabad declared war.

Xavier who had been picked up by a passing fleet met up with 8,000 troops from Mascate. He invaded Bombay, taken it very easily within a year. A few thousand reinforcements joined him in his taking of Goa. Lanka also declared war on Hyderabad. By Dec 20, Portugal had captured Goa and then official took possession of the land on February 5, 1541. Portugal still had their sights set on more than just Goa; they wanted Bombay too. With more reinforcements, troops totaling 13,000 marched towards Hyderabad.

screen 155-2.jpg

With a sizable gift to Bangalore they received military access to make a direct march on the capital province. The Portuguese meet 21,000 enemy troops but the troops lead by Xavier would prove too much for the infidels.

screen 156-2.jpg

The capital of Hyderabad fell in 1542. Portugal now had the maps of all of India and planned to march on Bastar but rebellions in Recife, Mascate, Tago and Lothian cut short their plans to take this country. In 1543, Hyberbad accepted peace with Portugal, giving them Bombay.

During the war, Joao gained the services of Mem da Sa. He had heard reports of French activity in North America so he sent da Sa to investigate the northern lands.

screen 143- france colonies.jpg

For the next 10 years, Portugal focused on policies, colonization in Brazil and exploration, with a few notable events occurring as well.
  • Lanka became vassals to Portugal
  • Nobles feuded and Joao agreed to let them fight it out
  • A royal marriage with Aragon
  • Reformation of the army gaining 1000 ducats in land investments
  • Cities demand old rights which Joao accepted
  • Xavier walked all the provinces of Mainland China
  • England and Lanka convert to Catholicism
  • Portugal expanded their colonies from Recife to Itaimas into cities

In 1553, Portugal entered into a military alliance with Aragon, Naples and Scotland. By 1554, Aragon had declared war on Spain. Portugal saw an opening in Galicia, which Spain had left unguarded. Xavier who had lead the war in India was sent to lead the forces in this war but died within days of arriving in Portugal. Joao then sent for de Sousa to lead his troops. De Sousa met up with troops in Oporto and marched on Galicia.

screen 165-2.jpg

Galicia fell within a year but Aragon was losing badly on the Iberian Peninsula. Portugal seeing that Aragon would not be able to withstand much more accepted peace. Spain paid 139 ducats for the return of Galicia and Aragon accepted peace with Spain one year later. In their peace agreement, Aragon lost the provinces of Aragon and Castilla to Spain.

Unfortunately, Joao’s last full year of reign was met with tragedy as a fire swept through the Azores burning down the refinery. Portugal, not having the funds to replace it, debated on beginning minting again but Joao decided against it.

Joao III, the pious, died on June 13, 1557 in Lisbon having kept his word to continue Portuguese greatness throughout the world.