• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Queen Lor

First Lieutenant
54 Badges
Nov 9, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • East India Company
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
This is my first attempt to write an AAR so please be gentle.

Game: AGCEEP latest version with 1.8 including beta patches. Sorry guys but I am going to be playing normal/normal for this one. I tend to not be a warmonger so I am pretty sure I would be dead by 1420 if I played any higher. :)

In Search of the Kingdom of Prester John: A Portuguese Adventure

ferdinand.jpg
King Ferdinand​

Prologue: The Deal

In 1383, King Ferdinand fearing his death was immanent, combined with the deaths of his only sons, Pedro (1380) and Alfonso (1382), had but one heir left, a daughter by the name of Beatriz, who he wished to arrange a marriage. After many attempts to arrange a marriage for her and then backing out of the agreement, he chose King Juan I of Castile. Juan who had lost his wife, Princess Leonor of Aragon, a year before, thought the Portuguese heiress would be a fine match for him. On May 17, 1383 they were married. Juan was 25 years old while Beatriz was only 11.

In September, King Ferdinand’s health had failed and by October he was dead. In treaties between Castile and Portugal, the Queen Mother, Leonor Telles de Menezes, became a regent in the name of her daughter. Many in the court feared Portugal would become a vassal to Castile and started formulating a plan to rebel if this happened. Joao who was the Grand Master of the Order of Aviz and illegitimate son to Pedro I was chosen to claim the throne.

Joao.jpg
King Joao I​

In 1384 Juan having just celebrated the birth of his son, Miguel, invaded Portugal to claim his son’s right to the throne. Joao knowing he would be defeated sought an alliance with the Archbishop of Braga and Prince John of Gaunt. Prince John saw this as the perfect opportunity to marry off his older and multiply refused daughter Phillipa of Lancaster. Joao knowing he could not survive without the alliance agreed but had no intention of ever marrying Phillipa.

princejohnofgaunt.jpg
Prince John of Gaunt​

After several defeats at the hands of the Portuguese, Juan was fed up. He amassed 30,000 men including a contingency of French heavy cavalry and made a push to capture Lisbon. Joao and Nuno Alvares Pereira knowing this would be their defeat if Juan did capture Lisbon lead 6000 men to head off the king. Due to many circumstances in their favor they crushed the army lead by Juan in the Battle of Aljubarrota.

battle.jpg

Diagram of the Battle of Aljubarrota​

With the defeat of Juan, Joao retreated with his mistress and two illegitimate children to the country sending word to Prince John that because of a monastic oath he could not marry. In 1387, John with a letter from the Pope absolving the king of his vows of celibacy and his best troops delivered an ultimatum that he would withhold a loan the country desperately needed if the new king did not marry his daughter. Within a month Joao and Phillipa were married. Immediately after the ceremony Joao left to camp with his army and plan a campaign against Castile.

phillipa.jpg
Phillipa of Lancaster​

Publicly the pair fulfilled their duties but privately Joao refused to acknowledge Phillipa as his wife and would retreat to his mistress’s home in Lisbon when not on a campaign. Phillipa from her experience with her father’s mistress dominating her mother’s home decided she would not tolerate this behavior. While Joao was on a campaign, Phillipa sent a group of clerics and knights to where the mistress lived. They forcibly committed the mistress to an ancient convent of Santos and Phillipa adopted the two illegitimate children creating the House of Braganza. From that point on, Joao acknowledged his wife and they ruled jointly.

Phillipa dealt with civil affairs while Joao protected the borders but by 1411 the political climate had changed and Castile was no longer a threat to the kingdom. With high unemployment, the court entertained the notion of joining a foreign war, including helping the emperor of Austria against his battle with the Turks. Joao not wanting to send his soldiers so far away agreed upon Phillipa’s idea to attack the Muslim kingdom of Fez. Phillipa had heard stories of the Kingdom of Prester John, the fabled African Christian ruler. She figured an alliance with him would guarantee access to spice and oriental products.

It took three years of active preparation before the army and fleet were ready for the invasion. By this time Phillipa had contracted the plague and was not recovering. She called her three oldest sons and daughter to swear a solemn vow to carry out her dream of trying to gain an alliance with the Kingdom of Prester John and through this gain access to the Indies.

Judas Maccabeus said:
Well, now, this setup--and this writing--looks quite promising. Prestor John, eh? Now that has a lot of potential for a good story.

Thanks. The prologue was interesting to research. It ultimately sent me in a new direction when I found these tidbits on Joao, Phillipa and Prestor John.

Looks to be interesting, I am curious as to what directions you will go in your search for the Kingdom of Prestor John. Who knows where Portugal might end up..

Indeed, it does look like the makings of a fine tale. Your title really hooked me, I've allways been inserested in Prestor John, and a search to find his kingdom might just do the trick. Good Luck.

Prester John was definitely one of those legends you don't hear much about but the search for him spurred so much exploration and a crusade. I hope he keeps you all interested.

Machiavellian said:
Looks to be interesting, I am curious as to what directions you will go in your search for the Kingdom of Prestor John. Who knows where Portugal might end up..
Well in my research I found three places believed to be its location so yes it should be interesting. Watch out Spain

Wilhelm VI said:
How about an new update ?
I have been battling a cold and will be away this weekend so look for one no later than Wednesday.

Ah yes, Prester John and the age of European expansion--two of my favortie subjects. I also made a few humble contributions to the newest version of the AGCEEP, so I will definitely be watching this one with interest.

Joao.jpg
Joao I​

Chapter 1: The War on Fez (1419 - 1425)

Fearing a lengthy war, Joao arranged a marriage for his daughter, Beatrice, to Thomas Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel and Surrey to strengthen his relations with England. The people of Algarve, in preparation for the war, built a naval manufactory to help supply the war effort.

Tangiers.jpg
Tangiers​

In the last months of 1418, Portugal invaded the Kingdom of Morocco and in the first month of 1419, General Pereira began his siege upon Tangiers. Within a few days, The Infantes, would arrive as reinforcements. In response, Morocco marched 19,000 troops into the province lead by Yahya al-Wattas but the 22,000 Portuguese would be too much for them, repelling them back to Fez less 14,000 men.

Joao wishing to cripple the supply lines into the port city sent 18 warships to patrol the Straits of Gibraltar. Fearing his ships could not sustain long periods at sea, he asked Castile for access to their ports, which Castile granted. Sending his ships to the Straits would prove to be a wise move, as Tlemcen would send 5 of its ships loaded with 10,000 troops right into its path. The heavily loaded transport ships did not stand a chance against the 18 warships and were sunk easily. Morocco hearing of their allies’ defeat marched 5000 troops from Sahara to Fez. Morocco and Tlemcen persuaded Tunisia to join their alliance but Tunisia did not enter the war against Portugal. Domestically Joao promotes his bailiffs to tax collectors as it becomes apparent this would be a costly war.

sultan.jpg
The Sultan of Morocco and his Entourage​

At the beginning of 1420, Yahya al-Wattasi became the Sultan of Morocco and began his march towards Tangiers to prove his worthiness to the throne. Leading 14,000 men, he reaches Tangiers where once again his troops would fall and Tangiers would fall along with them. Retreating with a few thousand men he joins Tlemcen troops in Fez.

Tlemcen seeing the fall of Tangiers makes the decision to send 5000 of its troops onto 5 ships and attempt to break the blockade at Gibraltar. The Tlemcen would once again meet the Portuguese fleet and suffer losses of ships and men. During the sea battle a few brave Portuguese soldiers boarded one of the ships before it sank and stole the maps of the captain. Joao tiring of the lengthy sea battles asks the Sultan of Tlemcen for white peace which they refuse but hearing of the losses of their ships they immediately offer 21 ducats to end their involvement in the war.

periera.jpg
Nuno Alvares Pereira​

In a message from Pereira to Joao, he wrote, “Our Jewish and Christian spies here in Tangiers tell us the Moroccan army has become demoralized after their defeats in this city and the abandonment by their allies. I believe we can take the province and eliminate the last of the infidels’ army. I would also ask for reinforcements to besiege the province of Sahara……. I await your decision to march on Fez.”

Joao feeling confident in his troops and the leadership of his old friend Pereira agreed to him marching on Fez. The Sultan of Morocco went into hiding as the few troops that were left to defend Fez were annihilated. After beginning a siege on Fez, the Army of Almeida, 5000 cavalry strong were sent to begin a siege in Sahara. Receiving orders from Wattasi, who many believed fleed to Tlemcen, Toubkal recruits 5000 men to form an army to hold off a siege in their province. By July 1421, Fez had fallen and Pereira eyed Toubkal.

screen 5-2.jpg

In February 1422, he had his orders and marched on Toubkal. When he arrived, the 5000 men mostly farmers and boys were little more than a nuisance to Pereira and were crushed. Unfortunately the province of Toubkal would not be as easy to break as Fez and Tangiers. It would take one year before the province would fall. Sahara would fall in 1423 with the combined force of all three armies of Portugal.

Joao seeing the war was mostly over, ordered the colonization of the Azores in mid 1423. The year would prove to be uneventful until December when a scandal rocked the court of Portugal. Rumors abounded and relations with Xarles III of Navarra declined.

In 1424, Portugal having defeated the core provinces of Morocco saw one last prize, the level 3 colony of Anti Atlas. They would capture it in 1425 after a battle with the natives of the area. On March 15, Morocco and Portugal would enter negotiations for peace. Portugal received Tangiers and Anti Atlas while Morocco became a vassal to Portugal, breaking her military alliance and a royal marriage. Total losses of the Portuguese army 13,566 infantry, 6058 cavalry and 4 warships.

screen 8-2.jpg

Well done with the war. Taking Tangiers is a crucial step, allowing you to easily expand into the med. or further down Africa and transforming Morocco into a Portuguese vassal will surely have its share of rewards.

Farquharson said:
Some very nice warmongering there - but I thought you said you tended not to be a warmonger! :D
Normally I would not be,taking my prize of Tangiers and heading for the hills but Morocco ended up being a very easy foe. I was quite surprised by this as I thought Morocco would have been put up more of a fight. Also in the interest of gaining a level 3 colony in the interior I decided to go for it. The worst I could do was lose my troops but probably hold on to Tangiers.

Joao.jpg
Joao I​

Chapter 2: The Expansion Begins (March 1425 – August 1433)

After the defeat of the infidels in Morocco, Joao returned to his non-aggressive policies. Additions to the Portuguese map had opened up new lands along the coast and the interior of Africa. A new center of trade was found in the province of Timbuktu and three new African nations had been discovered as well.

screen 9-2.jpg

Having secured Anti Atlas, Joao sent his sons on a journey into the new lands of the interior, setting up trading posts as they went. By 1426, trading posts had been set up in the three new territories and the king sent for his armies to return home.

Isabella_of_portugal.jpg
philipofburgandy.jpg
Isabel and Phillip III, Duke of Burgundy​

In March 1425, a royal marriage between his daughter, Isabel and Philip III, Duke of Burgundy would strengthen relations between the two nations.

screen 11-2.JPG

Rebellions and wars would dominate the European landscape. In November 1425, Joao would receive word from his daughter, Beatrice, of a rebellion in Anglia. She wrote, “I fled Anglia to the castle in Arundel for fear of death at the hands of the rebel scum occupying the city. All the king’s men fight in a war in Calais and no one knows when they shall return.” The rebellion would last until April of the next year.

Independence and annexation would also change the landscape of Europe and Africa.

• Cyrenaica would defect to Tunisia
  • The Byzantine Empire Fell
  • Saxony would annex Mainz
  • The Ashanti would annex Mossi
  • Muscowy would annex Arkhangelsk, Olonets and Tver
  • Dulkadir declared independence from Egypt only to be annexed by Ak Koyunlu a year later
  • Ottoman Empire annexed Ghazi
  • England would lose Calais, Gascogne, Caux, Normandie, Il de France and Orleans to France
  • Lorraine would become a vassal to Provence
  • Full annexation of Wallachia by Poland
  • Full annexation of Trebizond to Candar
  • Desmond was annexed by Scotland

To Portugal, these events were of no consequence, as they worked to strengthen their stability and economy. In June 1430, Joao would pressure the local governments to enforce his ordinances. The stability of the nation would take a hit but it would quickly recover as the economy soared. The merchant guild gained footholds in the major trade centers in Europe and Africa. They would also gain dominance in their home center in Tago and the new center in Timbuktu.

Enrique the navigator.jpg
Enrique the Navigator​

With the focus on rebuilding the nation, exploration beyond their known territory would come slowly to the Portuguese. Upon his return to Portugal in 1426, Enrique set out to find an explorer who would travel beyond the Canary Islands, which many believed, was impossible to do. It would take until January 1432 before the explorer, Goncalo Velho, would take the job. In January of the next year, Gil Eanes would also pledge his services to the crown. Velho would find the lost colony of Cape Verde, which would become the base for his and Eanes’ explorations.

Goncalo Velho stamp.jpg
Gil Eanes stamp.jpg

Goncalo Velho and Gil Eanes​

By this time, Joao, was feeling the effects of age and in his final act to give his son, Duarte, a strong nation, he petitioned the Pope to mediate a dispute over the rights to the Canary Islands. In February 1433, the Pope gave the islands to Portugal and Castile begrudgingly accepted the decision but vowed to appeal the claim.

On August 14, 1433, Joao the good, passed away.

Queen Lor said:
Desmond was annexed by Scotland
Where is (what is) Desmond? Btw, I'm following your AAR, early vassallisation of Morocco was really a good achievement!

Judas Maccabeus said:
...and may God draw his soul up into Heaven.

Good work on the expansion and even better work writing about it!

(I have to say, I like the hats in this AAR. Especially Phil III's and Eanes'. :D )

Thanks. It was fairly boring play with lots of time to look at Europe so I have to spice it up with the pictures. :D

Hastu Neon said:
Where is (what is) Desmond? Btw, I'm following your AAR, early vassallisation of Morocco was really a good achievement!
I think that is Ulster.
Thanks. Once I had gotten peace with Tlemcen, it seemed as if Morocco just rolled over. I just couldn't ignore an easy grab like that one.

Ah, ok! it's one of the n duchies created from CK, I suppose