• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The only difficulty with exploration and colonization on this scale is that you can't show the whole world in one screenshot. Or can you?? Ah well, there's a challenge for you. ;) Anyway, well done with your extremely outward-looking Portugal!

Interlude

Joao III stood, looking out upon the great city of Lisbon from his study window. In the distance, he could see the market, busy with merchants from all over the world, selling their wares in his trade center. Closer to the castle, women working in the fields, sang of the safe return of their men from the sea, as their children ran around them playing games. Portugal had been blessed from above as the nation thrived but Joao felt a failure to his ancestors. They had set out on this great adventure into the unknown to find one man but that one man did not want to be found. The Kingdom of Prester John was now believed by scholars to not exist.

Turning back to his desk, he picked up the report one last time before it would be locked away in the library archives. There he saw segments of the letter from Prester John dated 1165 CE, that was presented to Pope Alexander by his ambassador to Emperor Manuel Comnenus of Byzantium and with the believed locations of the places mentioned.

Our land is the home of elephants, dromedaries, camels, crocodiles, meta-collinarum, cametennus, tensevetes, wild asses, white and red lions, white bears, white merules, crickets, griffins, tigers, lamias, hyenas, wild horses, wild oxen, and wild men (Africa, specifically Ethiopia)

screen 172-2.jpg

We have some people subject to us who feed on the flesh of men and of prematurely born animals, and who never fear death. When any of these people die, their friends and relations eat him ravenously, for they regard it as a main duty to munch human flesh (New Guinea)

screen 174-2.jpg

In one of our lands, hight Zone, are worms called salamanders (South America)

screen 176-2.jpg

Theses and similar nations were shut in behind lofty mountains by Alexander the Great, towards the north (Tibet)

screen 175-2.jpg

If anyone has tasted thrice of the fountain, from that day he will feel no fatigue, but will, as long as he lives, be as a man of thirty years (North America)

screen 177-2.jpg

Boys there are trained to remain three of four days under the water, diving after the stones. (Pearl divers of Bahrain Island)

screen 178-2.jpg

The Amazons and the Brahmins are subject to us. (Mongolia and India)

screen 173-2.jpg

Joao studied the letter, mentally mapping his lands against the locations listed and then a thought occurred to him; Had the Lord sent Portugal on this great adventure not to find a man but to spread His word? The bishop would need to be consulted at once.

Historically, Portugal had figured out by 1520, Prester John was not in Africa and thus ended their search for him. The items listed above were my first set of goals in the search for Prester John. Now that I have met my exploration goals and more quickly than I expected, I will continue on with my other goals for Portugal.

Just a few things of interest on the maps related to colonization. In North America, England, France and Aragon are colonizing. England also has a trading post in South America. Venice has a one trading post in India and are determined to get a trading post in the province right below Goa. I think they have failed about 4 times already.

If anyone is interested, this was the version of Prester John's letter that I used. It fit better into my goals than the one with more flowery language.

http://www.graveworm.com/occult/texts/pjohn.html

Clear maps. But hey! You shouldn't leave Brazil to those Englishmen! Besides, now that Priester John is no more your main goal, try to find Eldorado! Someone told your explorers it's in South America, beyond the Andes! ;)

Happy new year's eve to everyone!

Ah! Thankyou, thankyou! I reckon that's about as good as you can do showing the whole world at once. So what are you other goals? Any plans to colonize in North America? Or maybe start collecting distant COTs currently owned by undeserving heathens? :D

zacharym87 said:
Good to see this one back in action. Good job acquiring your new vassals and getting in all that exploring.

Thanks. I got sidetracked with the game Pirates but now I am back to playing EU2. I am only in the second year of Sebastião I rule so it may be two weeks before my next update.

Hastu Neon said:
Clear maps. But hey! You shouldn't leave Brazil to those Englishmen! Besides, now that Priester John is no more your main goal, try to find Eldorado! Someone told your explorers it's in South America, beyond the Andes! ;)

Happy new year's eve to everyone!

Happy New Year to all.
Nope it will be taken soon enough. I was hoping they would build it up a bit more but I don't think they have. Ah, Eldorado that is a good myth and the Inca are prime for the taking since Spain is behind in colonization.

Farquharson said:
Ah! Thankyou, thankyou! I reckon that's about as good as you can do showing the whole world at once. So what are you other goals? Any plans to colonize in North America? Or maybe start collecting distant COTs currently owned by undeserving heathens? :D

I had originally planned to create a one, big world map but haven't had the time to splice it together.

Hmm, let me rethink a few of my goals and I will get back to you on that one. I think I built a trading post on one of the gulf coast provinces but can't remember. I had a bunch of attempts fail at the beginning of Sebastião reign.

sebastiao I.jpg
Sabastiao I​

Chapter 9: The infant king (1557 – 1578)

Sabastiao I was born two weeks after his father’s death and named king at age three upon the death of grandfather, Joao III. First, his grandmother, Catherine of Habsburg was named regent but later his uncle, Cardinal Henrique of Evora took her place.

cardeal henrique.jpg
Cardinal Henrique of Evora​

Portugal was in a state of constant colonial development and attacks from the native populations became a norm for the settlers. Under the regency of Henrique, Portugal took a systematic approach to colonization by developing three provinces at a time into cities. Expansion slowed somewhat but revenues rose as the tax base and trade expanded.

Exploration once again became an interest to the crown. Having built up Aisen into a thriving port city, Portugal looked to the northern coasts along South America as a possible expansion point. An explorer by the name of de Abreu began his journey from Tago on August 23, 1560, to explore along the coast of the Americas and sail as far west as possible. By September 1564, he had discovered the Aleutian Islands but his fleet was lost at sea sailing back to re-supply his ship.

screen 183-2.jpg

At home, Portugal tried to keep a low profile, as European nations rebelled and warred against each other. Protestantism was running rampant in Europe as the Huguenots declared their independence from France. England converted once again and by 1560 English influence caused the reform of Lothian and the Highlands. Portugal did openly support the birth of the French Catholic nation, giving them a state gift in their war for independence from France.

goa.jpg
Goa​

Portugal also spread the faith into the heathen countries by enacting the 1567 Ecclesiastical Council at Goa. Stating "that all heathen temples in Portuguese controlled territory should be demolished; ... that all non-Christian priests, teachers and holy men should be expelled; that all their sacred books should be seized and destroyed whenever found".This forced many to flee to neighboring countries and tax revenues went with them.

A fire, that same year in Algarve, burned the naval manufacturing plant to the ground. Some speculated it was an act of sabotage by a sympathizer to Goa, though it was never proven. Having faced several manufactory fires before, Portugal set out to build a fine arts academy in Tago and rebuild the naval plant in Algarve.

screen 185-2.jpg

On the Iberian Peninsula, Spain and Aragon had openly taunted each other until Aragon took the final step and declared war. With funds being low in the treasury, Portugal made the decision to not honor their alliance with Aragon. Relations around the world plunged for Portugal but it did not concern them. They saw an opportunity in another part of the world prime for the taking.

screen 189-2.jpg

Having received a diplomatic insult against Hyderabad, Portugal began building up its treasury and forces to take this heathen nation. On November 20, 1572, two months before the end of the casus belli, Portugal declared war on Hyderabad.

screen 190-2.jpg

Marching 21,000 troops into Maharashtra, the troops faced 19,000 troops. Hyderabad put up a good fight but the trained Portuguese fighters reduced them down to 11,000 while their troops were reduced to 16,000. With a steady supply of reinforcements from Bombay and Goa, they took Maharashtra in a year and the province of Hyderabad the next. Hyderabad was also building up troops in Bastar where they had retreated after the battle of Hyderabad.

screen 192-2.jpg

Once again Portugal faced the heathen army, this time 22,000 against 21,000 and soundly defeated the army forcing them to now retreat to Khandesh. Once Bastar had been taken, Khandesh was the last province standing in the way of a total victory.

Revolts proved to be the toughest battle for Portugal. War exhaustion set in and revolts sprang up in Tobago/Trinidad, Walata, Tangiers, Nouakchott, Quatar, Cape Verde, Bourbon, Jenne, Algarve, Leone, Al Kharam, Bombay, Ciskei, Tassarett and Murumbidgee.

screen 180-2.jpg

By this point, if Portugal could get Khandesh they would have the heathen country on its knees. Pushing into the last province, Portugal meet the remaining 10,000 members of Hyderabad’s army. After a long battle, 7,000 Hyderabad troops retreated towards the province of Hyderabad while Portugal beseiged Khandesh. Once Khandesh was taken, Portugal with 100% victory attempted to negotiate peace. Asking for only three of the four provinces, Hyderabad rejected their peace offering. Portugal and particularly, Henrique were not pleased with their response. Deciding, they would chase the remaining troops to the ends of the earth if need be, they attacked the forces again. Taking the 11,000 troops in Khandesh, they moved back down into Maharashtra and hammered away on Hyderabad troops. Reducing them down to 6,000 they once again chased them into the province of Hyderabad. Once there, they took one last crack at destroying what was left of the troops and reduced them down to 5,000. Portugal tried once again to negotiate peace and finally Hyderabad gave in. On July 27, 1578, they agreed to hand over Maharashtra, Bastar and Khandesh to Portugal and a truce of two years.

screen 194-2.jpg

Now that the Hyderabad war was over, Portugal looked to finish off any revolts still lingering in the farther colonies.

CouncilTrent.jpg
Council of Trent​

Just a week after the war ended, the Council of Trent convened to discuss the Protestant reformation in Europe. The meetings ushered in counter-reformation, whose affects had yet to be felt in the land.

By 1578, Sabastiao had reached the age of majority and set about planning his conquest of the Muslims of Africa. Believing he was to lead a crusade in the name of Jesus Christ, he wished to lay siege on his vassal Morocco. Morocco had grown powerful as Portugal’s vassal and even though they were infidels in the eyes of many, this was not a battle Portugal needed. On August 3, 1578, Portugal secretly committed their king to a Jesuit order and spread a story that Sabastiao I “the sleeping king” had died in battle.

cardeal henrique.jpg
King Henrique​

Chapter 10: A short reign (1578 – 1580)

Henrique, having committed Sabastiao to the Jesuits, ascended to the throne he had been regent to for almost 20 years. During his short reign, he attempted to wrap up any revolts left over from the Hyderabad war. Unfortunately, more rebels popped up as soon as a revolt was put down. Khandesh and Bastar both rebelled against their new ruler but Antonio Dom Crato, the newly named general for the area, put them down handily.

Henrique, spent the rest of his reign, trying to sway the Pope to allow him to renounce his clerical duties. The Pope, who was a member of the Habsburg family, would not release him. Henrique died on January 31, 1580, without an heir and Portugal without a king.

screen 206-3.JPG

screen 210-2.jpg