• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just wanted to say thank you! This mod is great, it fixes the broad issues I have with boundary problems and cultural names. I know there are other mods out there (e.g. as part of HIP), but their feature creep is unfortunately more than de jure and name changes, so I really appreciate the limited scope here.

I just wanted to say thank you! This mod is great, it fixes the broad issues I have with boundary problems and cultural names. I know there are other mods out there (e.g. as part of HIP), but their feature creep is unfortunately more than de jure and name changes, so I really appreciate the limited scope here.
You well come.

In fact, I just hope that with the new patch Paradox allows cultural names to be manipulated via localization only. This way, I will be able to release this mod modularly (although it will lose some features, like color changes; on the other hand, it will gain in compatibility).

Yes, I do not like feature creep either. Vanilla is fine as it is. If it just were slightly harder, gameplay-wise.

I have updated the mod to 2.1.1, and both the mod description and the changelog at the beginning of the thread have been updated to reflect the changes. The first post with the mod description also shows the new de jure maps that include India (although there have been few changes relative to the previous version, and I have not touched India at all). However, I am not publishing the mod for the moment, as I prefer to do it after Paradox will have released the hotfix for the current patch, which I expect to happen soon (in a few days if not tomorrow). Simply put, I do not want to re-post twice within a short interval of time, should the hotfix make any additional changes necessary. In addition, I consider the current state of the game almost unplayable, especially in India (due to the religious unrest bug). I have edited the thread today as I have some spare time in excess. I will most likely use the Steam Workshop in order to publish the mod.

In general, I am making an effort to make my landed_titles.txt file as close as possible to Vanilla, despite the many things that I do not like in Vanilla and that I think I have improved. The reason is that, ideally, for the sake of compatibility I would like to release this mod modularly, with one module for cultural names, one for the historically dynamic de jure map, and one for the additional changes (cultures&dynasties, decisions and events). However, this will be almost impossible until Paradox will have fulfilled my requests here, as I cannot separate cultural names from the rest of the de jure map. Hence, for the moment I am still keeping important differences in my duchies de jure setup, especially in areas like France, Germany and Syria.

The 2.1.2.1 version has been uploaded on the Steam Workshop. I have edited the changelog slightly. I have also extended the Ethiopian cultural building and retinue to the Nubian culture, waiting for Paradox to fix the bug.

P.S. I find myself unable to select a proper cover picture in the Steam Workshop page for the mod. Can somebody please help me?

Last edited:
So I don't think the Workshop link is working (I don't think any CK2 mods on there work actually); I got a download but I can't find the files in the mod folder or anywhere else. This looks like a huge improvement and I'd like to give it a spin, if it's possible could a manual download link be set up?

So I don't think the Workshop link is working (I don't think any CK2 mods on there work actually); I got a download but I can't find the files in the mod folder or anywhere else. This looks like a huge improvement and I'd like to give it a spin, if it's possible could a manual download link be set up?
Thanks; also on the Workshop page I have read the same. In the first post there is now a manual download link. It really irks me that the Steam Workshop is not working properly. I wanted to get rid of hosting websites (not that Steam is not, but at least is integrated into the game). Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Thanks; also on the Workshop page I have read the same. In the first post there is now a manual download link. It really irks me that the Steam Workshop is not working properly. I wanted to get rid of hosting websites (not that Steam is not, but at least is integrated into the game). Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
While it is entirely your choice, I sincerely ask that you (and other fellow modders) please do not cease to provide updates on the official forum simply because Steam Workshop is available. I'd much rather get the mod files from here than from Steam Workshop--I do not like any form of automated subscription system. Besides, it never hurts to have an alternative mirror.

While it is entirely your choice, I sincerely ask that you (and other fellow modders) please do not cease to provide updates on the official forum simply because Steam Workshop is available. I'd much rather get the mod files from here than from Steam Workshop--I do not like any form of automated subscription system. Besides, it never hurts to have an alternative mirror.

+1

I will take this into account. I will keep releasing "provisional" manual download versions which will be available until Steam Workshop will have become reliable. After that, we will see.

I understand your concern anyways.

I have updated it to 2.1.2 (there were some little changes relative to the Beta patch).

I have also made some changes to the mod, which are mostly there to reflect my next Beta Israel game. I am not sure about renaming the Ashkenazi 'Hebrew' though; what is sure is that the Ashkenazi culture is somewhat inappropriate for the timeline of the game.

Please let me know if the Workshop download works; for the moment I am keeping a manual download option in this thread. And oh, please let me know how can I upload a cover picture for the mod's workshop page.

EDIT (1): I reposted the mod. I had accidentally included my own edited version of defines.lua which I did not want to be published.

EDIT (2): The current version is compatible with 2.1.3.

Last edited:
Hi Ciccillo Rre, excellent mod, this is just what I was looking for CK2. However I have a problem with the representation of the catalan counties in the mod (and actually its representation in the vanilla game). I think the duchy of Barcelona should be "de jure" part of the Kingdom of France in the 1066 start (and maybe of the Kingdom of Aquitaine in the 867 start), since the king of France only relinquished its claims on the catalan counties after the treaty of Corbeil in 1258. Having Barcelona as de-jure part of Aragon only makes sense after the dinastic union of 1150, but before that date such union was everything but inevitable. What do you think?

Hi Ciccillo Rre, excellent mod, this is just what I was looking for CK2. However I have a problem with the representation of the catalan counties in the mod (and actually its representation in the vanilla game). I think the duchy of Barcelona should be "de jure" part of the Kingdom of France in the 1066 start (and maybe of the Kingdom of Aquitaine in the 867 start), since the king of France only relinquished its claims on the catalan counties after the treaty of Corbeil in 1258. Having Barcelona as de-jure part of Aragon only makes sense after the dinastic union of 1150, but before that date such union was everything but inevitable. What do you think?
That I agree on the history, but that it is better to avoid changes for gameplay reasons. Imagine if Catalonia were part of France in 1066 (at least in my mod); what would happen is that France will eat it slowly with de jure claims if the muslims do not do it first, and the historical outcome will never be observed. Instead, it is often seen in the current setup, if things still work out as they did when I used to play the 1066 start (I now play almost only in 867).

Yeah, give France de jure claims in Iberia and they will likely gain a border with the Moors and stomp all the Emirs in Hispania. That shouldn't happen every game.

Also, does this mod make the HRE more likely to vassalize the Pope via Anti-Popes; or is that just the patch?

Also, does this mod make the HRE more likely to vassalize the Pope via Anti-Popes; or is that just the patch?
I do not see almost any mechanism by which that should be more likely. As stated in the first post, there are no gameplay changes which do not come via the de jure changes in this mod, and the HRE is de jure approximately the same as Vanilla in start dates other than 867. In 867, if the AI creates the HRE (which requires to hold the Empire of Germania as well as the Kingdom of Italy, hence it is much less likely than in Vanilla) the kingdom of Italy - including Latium and Rome - de jure drifts immediately to the HRE. This possibly makes it more likely; I do not know how the AI is coded in that respect so I cannot really tell. Do you observe this pattern under those circumstances?

If this were the case, let me say that I would not be that unhappy about it, as my modified "Create HRE" decision is aimed at simulating the political status of the HRE in the 10th century, when the Emperors were on the verge of having their authority supersede the Pope's (some of them even resided in Rome). Ideally however, I should also have some mechanism by which de jure control over parts of Italy is lost for both the HRE and the ERE, so that the Empire of Italia can (potentially) appear even in the 867 start date.

I do not see almost any mechanism by which that should be more likely. As stated in the first post, there are no gameplay changes which do not come via the de jure changes in this mod, and the HRE is de jure approximately the same as Vanilla in start dates other than 867. In 867, if the AI creates the HRE (which requires to hold the Empire of Germania as well as the Kingdom of Italy, hence it is much less likely than in Vanilla) the kingdom of Italy - including Latium and Rome - de jure drifts immediately to the HRE. This possibly makes it more likely; I do not know how the AI is coded in that respect so I cannot really tell. Do you observe this pattern under those circumstances?

If this were the case, let me say that I would not be that unhappy about it, as my modified "Create HRE" decision is aimed at simulating the political status of the HRE in the 10th century, when the Emperors were on the verge of having their authority supersede the Pope's (some of them even resided in Rome). Ideally however, I should also have some mechanism by which de jure control over parts of Italy is lost for both the HRE and the ERE, so that the Empire of Italia can (potentially) appear even in the 867 start date.

I only play 1066 starts; so it has nothing to do with your HRE Decision. Pretty sure its the new patch tweeking the AI behavior; but I haven't played without this mod since 2.1 came out. Just cheeking though, thanks.

I only play 1066 starts; so it has nothing to do with your HRE Decision. Pretty sure its the new patch tweeking the AI behavior; but I haven't played without this mod since 2.1 came out. Just cheeking though, thanks.
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad to know that you enjoy the mod!

Last edited:
If you're still trying to figure out how to add a cover image to the workshop...

Put your .jpg in to the mod sub-folder (so /mods/yourmodfolder, not just /mods), and make your .mod file look like this:

Code:
name="modname"
path="mod/modpath"
picture="imagename.jpg"

Then upload/update your mod through the game menu.

You can also add tags in the .mod file. I think they go like this:

Code:
tags=
  {
    "tag"
    "tag"
    "etc."
  }

Last edited:
If you're still trying to figure out how to add a cover image to the workshop...

Put your .jpg in to the mod sub-folder (so /mods/yourmodfolder, not just /mods), and make your .mod file look like this:

Code:
name="modname"
path="mod/modpath"
picture="imagename.jpg"

Then upload/update your mod through the game menu.

You can also add tags in the .mod file. I think they go like this:

Code:
tags=
  {
    "tag"
    "tag"
    "etc."
  }
Thanks a lot! I will try it when I will have some time. What would tags be useful for?

Steam Workshop uses tags to filter mods by type (see the check boxes on the right hand side when browsing mods). It could be 'decisions', 'events', 'balance', or whatever.
Interesting, thank you.