• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dietmar1982 said:
Hmm I was going to argue a little against this, but the more I think of it, it makes sence. It would force the player to deploy some troops near the capital at all time, just in case.
But I do think this would require that they teach the ai to do the same. I would hate to see the ai change monarch every so offen. because they are to stupid to guard their capital.
In all fairness, how often do you actually see the capital province of a mid-to-large-sized nation fall to rebels? I'm not talking about Baden or Navarre. Once their capital's gone, they're basically screwed. Think about France or Spain - you rarely see their capital get captured by rebels.

I hope there are more generic (but complex) events for these sorts of things. I mean, think about the Wars of the Roses, the Fronde, the Glorious Revolution, etc. No actual EU2-style historical backdrop (because it would probably be totally wrong in your game), but just those types of events across the board - maybe slightly different depending on one's government type, obv.

Think about it: you're one of a small group of government types (absolute monarchy, despotic monarchy, enlightened despotism...), your state religion is any but that of the majority of your people, your centralisation/aristocracy sliders are at a certain level or above, and your stability level is below 0. What happens? A small group of your nobility decide to depose your monarch and replace him with someone else (easy enough - kill monarch command, instability, etc.) - conversely, you could have a Glorious Revolution-esque event whereby any similar nation gets an event giving them a CB on you, or perhaps even starting a succession war (which the events of 1688 eventually came to be seen as).

IMO, the current generic Civil War/Revolution events needs beefing up a bit. They should absolutely cripple your country for a couple of years (at least), make foreign diplomacy either next to impossible, or on the other hand, absolutely necessary (balancing your friends & enemies, avoiding wars whilst you're unable to fight, etc.)

Does anyone agree with all this, or am I just ranting? :rofl:

A positive post we get here! ;)

Knight Richard said:

* Start in October 1399, at the coronation of Henry IV of England. Experience over 50 more years of gameplay, experiencing the Byzantine Empire, Tamerlane and the end of the Hundred Years War.

~No you won't, well except for what is left of the byzantine empire. Rest won't happen without historical events.

It all depends on what the new strategic AI will do and the capabilities for modding. If anything this engine is not suited to deterministic events.

* Se exactly what is required to make the decisions that will shape the future of your country. Strive to create Great Britain, Make Paris worth a Mass, or institute an East Indian Trade Company. Act, rather than react, and implement decisions on both country and province level, with the new decision system, including hundreds of different decisions depending on situation.

~first part is what the game already has, but the second is somewhat interesting. What "decisions" will you be able to make in provinces?

I agree with the comercial BS here, but then, these decisions show lot of potential. The most relevant fact however is that you are "somewhat interested" in it... which begs the question: what would have "really interested" you?

* Experience our new Mission System, where the player and AI will both be given goals to achieve, providing endless replayability by guiding history along different tracks every time.

~ They dare call it NEW???? It was in EUII and if I'm not mistaken in EUI as well... So yeah, new. And how are you suppose to guide "history" with no history at all? All bs..

It is new in the context of EU3, isn't it?

* In Nomine will feature Rebels with a Cause. There are countless types of rebels, with different goals, and different abilities. You may get colonial rebels in your colonies determined to get representation or independence, you may get reactionary nobles rising up to put the serfs back where the belong. Crush them by force, or negotiate with them, or even worse, watch them enforce their demands on your country.

~Took them 3 games and 2 20mb patches to finally get this. I say, it was about time the rebel system was fixed.

So, are you "somewhat interested" in this too? Or a bit more?

* Religious tolerance now depends on the ideas and decisions you take, making it a new layer of strategy. As cardinals stay loyal longer, the power of the Papa Controller has grown, as he can now excommunicate rulers, and call crusades against infidels.

~ Yeah, I can imagine Napoleon calling for a crusade against china. :rofl:
more nonsense to the lala land game :wacko:

Maybe you dont understand the royal fumble tolerance is right now... it is a great improvement, imho.

Revised AI, focusing on strategic top level goals, with support for fully scriptable logics.

Well they decided to go the lazy way and let the community fix their game.

I suppose if we ccould say Paradox took out the modability of their games, now that would be a commendable improvement!!!

Overall, I see another 15mb patch,"cough", I mean expansion that fixes the game with some "new" features, adds in some more absurdity, and adds old stuff that were already in the series for a long time.

What are the "new" features? Not the really new ones, I just want the "new" that are not included in the "stuff that were already in the series for a long time".

What is the "absurdity"?

Look, finally Paradox got its act straight, listened to the community and decided to went over the design fumbles of vanilla EU3. And your reaction is this? What would you expect from the expansion?

Hopefully this won't put a wrench in the work being done on MMG Gold2.0? Spring 2008 followed by In Nominee in Summer 2008. Would be quite an exciting time for EU3 fans for sure.

I am not so concerned about starting in 1400 as I am about where the game ends in 1823. I would so love that it ends with the start of The American Civil War so we could experience the great Britain and Russian colonial rivalry. The almost entire colonisation of Africa, particularily by France. Right now the game is really just about the colonisation of The Americas. By 1823 as it is now, Africa and Asia is barely touched by the colonial hand of Europe. It would be grand to be able to see the collapse of the once mighty Spanish, French and British colonial empires in The Americas and see their focus shift eastward.

I would love to actually see a Europe torn apart by The Thirty Years War. The re-emergence of Poland and the downfall of Prussia, etc.

ManBear said:
I am not so concerned about starting in 1400 as I am about where the game ends in 1823. I would so love that it ends with the start of The American Civil War so we could experience the great Britain and Russian colonial rivalry. The almost entire colonisation of Africa, particularily by France. Right now the game is really just about the colonisation of The Americas. By 1823 as it is now, Africa and Asia is barely touched by the colonial hand of Europe. It would be grand to be able to see the collapse of the once mighty Spanish, French and British colonial empires in The Americas and see their focus shift eastward.
But if they did that paradox wouldn't be able to sell us Vicky 2 for full price.

Cuthuthulu said:
But if they did that paradox wouldn't be able to sell us Vicky 2 for full price.

Well how about making it so EU3 saves could be exported to Vicky? Then you would want to buy both games. What is Vicky's end date? I have never played it.

ManBear said:
Hopefully this won't put a wrench in the work being done on MMG Gold2.0? Spring 2008 followed by In Nominee in Summer 2008. Would be quite an exciting time for EU3 fans for sure.

I would love to actually see a Europe torn apart by The Thirty Years War. The re-emergence of Poland and the downfall of Prussia, etc.

But you have to remember the next game in the series, Victoria, starts in 1836. So there are only 13 more years to add, not really enouch for any fundemental changes in direction of the game. If you wish to play prior to the American Civil War, Victoria covers a good bit of that.

Of course, Crusader Kings runs until 1453, but they choose to back expand the EU series before 1453 anyways, so perhaps that isn't an issue at all. It used to be a nice flow, Crusader Kings from 1066-1453, EU 1453-1820ish, Victoria 1836-1935, HOI 1936-1953. The only break from 1066 to 1953 was the small one between EU and Victoria. Now there is an awkward overlap, it appears. I'm not particularlly thrilled, but this is the first game of the next generation of Paradox, so perhaps the future time splits will work differently this time around. I don't even know if all the games have a future.

ManBear said:
Well how about making it so EU3 saves could be exported to Vicky? Then you would want to buy both games. What is Vicky's end date? I have never played it.
1920-something, IIRC. Mind you, there was an expansion (which I downloaded for free with one of those codes Susana gave out at some point, but have yet to install :rofl: ) so I dare say it was extended.

Sound... Like advertising.

Conidering how bad Eu3 was i'll probably wait until we get more info before starting to care about any potential expansion.

ManBear said:
It worries me that they said "before Summer". This could mean the Gold 2 is released after In Nomine, which would be very bad for the mod; too many things aren't compatible with a game that starts 50 years before, so you could end up with a situation where players were unable to have both at the same time.

What I want to know is, will the ehancements cover all of the EU3 period, or just before 1453? Allright, wip out the CC and give a donation to the holy church of panova!!

One thing I'm curious about given the starting date is how Paradox plans to represent the Western Schism; having a papal controller is rather complicated when there are multiple popes running around.

I always assumed EU2's start date was chosen because 1419 is right after the Council of Constance, which put an end to the schism.

Maybe you can manually add your own Papacy now? NA allowed you to add your own CoTs - perhaps AI "Pope-swarming" will be a new "unplanned feature" of IN?

I Killed Kenny said:
I bet this will be a 5€ expansion like Arma...

No, it's a €19 XP, as written in the announcement.:)